Young Nigerians in the EPL: The Next Generation

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Young Nigerians in the EPL: The Next Generation

Post by Damunk »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Damunk wrote:
fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:

I don't know whether anyone realises that the last player from the local Nigerian league to make a real international impact for the full SE was ......Ahmed Musa.
How many years ago was that? :idea:

Please correct me if I am wrong.
You are wrong, very wrong.

Sunday Mbu
Godfrey Oboabona
Fabio, Fabiyo, Fabiyaro...
How many times did I call your name? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I deliberately said "make a real international impact" for the SE, not "feature for" or "score for"

I am talking about players that will make the Nigerian Hall of Fame.
Let me give you an idea of the calibre of players that have made the kind of 'real international impact' I refer to:
JJ
Kanu
Yekini
Odegbami
Chukwu
Aiyegbeni
Adokiye
Mikel
Amuneke
Amokachi
Keshi
Enyeama
Finidi

There are many, many more.

Make a list of Nigeria's top 50 GOAT players and neither Mba nor Oboabona will enter.
You gerrit now? :idea:
ouch but yeah I understand,even Martins didn't make your list so a one hit wonder and a?
But the thing is these English based kids have potential because they are youth and are training in good environments (outside Nigeria) and that is why England will definitely have first choice if any of them show promise,Nigeria may get a few scraps but they might not even get as far as Mba,it's hard to tell since non of them have played constantly at senior level.
Martins will most likely enter anyone's top 50 list, but my point was more about fabio's reference to Mba and Oboabona.
Those on my list are just an indication of the calibre of players Naija has produced of which Mba and Oboabona do not belong IMHO.

As for your well-made point about 'first choice', most of the time they will, but first choice isn't necessarily 'best' choice. It is entirely subjective. Like I pointed out earlier, if Argentina has 5 Messis, they can't all play and there will be those that choose to take their chances elsewhere. It doesn't necessarily make them any worse than those chosen. Many factors go into choice/preference of player and it is not strictly about ability. Tactics, player attitude, competition even sentiment all play a role.

Diego Costa rejected a call to play for Brazil (after featuring in 2 friendlies) and opted for Spain, even though he was born in Brazil.
Has the Brazilian NT collapsed? Not really.
Has Spain benefitted? Of course.
Any regrets? Hardly, either way.

I'm sure there are more similar examples.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Another one from the Man Utd academy: Victor Musa (a 16 yo forward). He is also qualified to play for England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and Spain 🇪🇸. Athletic Club of Bilbao is apparently interested in him.

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2023/03/29 ... sa-261884/
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

wiseone wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:44 pm :(
Another one from the Man Utd academy: Victor Musa (a 16 yo forward). He is also qualified to play for England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and Spain 🇪🇸. Athletic Club of Bilbao is apparently interested in him.

The name Musa gives me PTSD! :(
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:32 pm
wiseone wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:44 pm :(

The name Musa gives me PTSD! :(
Mace,

Why have you chosen to insult a Nigerian legend?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics