Tunisia v Nigeria 0-1 (Ighalo)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enyi
Egg
Egg
Re: Tunisia v Nigeria 0-1 (Ighalo)

Post by Enyi »

balo wrote:So sad with Kalu's incident before the competition started. That was a weapon we couldn't unleash confidently.
Who do u think he was going to bench....Musa or Moses?
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Another Bronze.....Oh well, better than Ghana, Cameroon, CIV, Egypt...
Peter Obi For President 2023
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

mcal wrote:
Odas wrote:
mcal wrote:...was this planned?
Was what planned?
...so their guys can play. Who be their guys, I no sabi :???:
Ok-ooo! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
cruxifixoy2k
Egg
Egg

Post by cruxifixoy2k »

Nigeria indeed the king of 3rd place playoff. Won 1978, 1992, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2019.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Anyones that think this set of Eagles are not good enough to be playing the finals of this competition should be lined up at Lagos bar beach and given the Dimka treatment.

We were robbed by a wannabe coach conniving with our NFF to perpetuate his backward ideas in Nigerian football.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Babalawo wrote:Another Bronze.....Oh well, better than Ghana, Cameroon, CIV, Egypt...
... add Morocco in the list
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Chinchuk you’re the DELUSIONAL one. On The basis of this tournament, the best 3 teams with QUALITY superstars are at the final. Infact, 3rd place is overachieving with the caliber of our players
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

charlie wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:Why didn't this useless coach didn't start Uzoho for the Afcon after using him for the World Cup.
Simple reason. Uzoho hardly played any football this season.
Hard to play someone who doesn't play above others who do.
THE COACHES MAY HAVE OVERANALYZED THIS

Uzoho is a known quantity. The coaches knew enough about him, his play at Russia. That and his performance in camp should have been given greater weight. And if he wasn't getting time in his club shouldn't they have played him more in friendlies?
Bell
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Its weird watching us Celebrating Bronze, don't get me wrong, its not the celebration I have a problem with, its the irony of knowing that the loser of the next game won't feel as happy as the third place winner now. I doubt the runner up on Friday will be in such jubilant mood and will be celebrated

Anyway, thanks to the team for giving it a go and being the third best team in the tournament, I think it is the fair position for our team at the moment
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

cchinukw wrote:Anyones that think this set of Eagles are not good enough to be playing the finals of this competition should be lined up at Lagos bar beach and given the Dimka treatment.

We were robbed by a wannabe coach conniving with our NFF to perpetuate his backward ideas in Nigerian football.
Hanging onto this coach is predicting the failure of tomorrow.
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

akamoke wrote:Its weird watching us Celebrating Bronze, don't get me wrong, its not the celebration I have a problem with, its the irony of knowing that the loser of the next game won't feel as happy as the third place winner now. I doubt the runner up on Friday will be in such jubilant mood and will be celebrated

Anyway, thanks to the team for giving it a go and being the third best team in the tournament, I think it is the fair position for our team at the moment
Bronze is not bad, provided that the team learns from its mistakes here and continues to build for the next World Cup...
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

john12 wrote:Chinchuk you’re the DELUSIONAL one. On The basis of this tournament, the best 3 teams with QUALITY superstars are at the final. Infact, 3rd place is overachieving with the caliber of our players
The problem with your type in the main is they aren't familiar with Nigerian soccer before the noughties set in.

At this stage of our development, with the players we have and our history, we should be at the very least be playing in the AFCON final. We are African GIANTS! For all Seedorf's good work, you can see it wasn't good enough for Cameroon. This is the mindset of winners. Nigeria does not go to any competition to learn anything. Ever!

Our third place is self inflicted. Imagine ordinary game management to even practicalise the coach's default defense strategy of holding out to extra time. Even this simple feat was a monumental task for this team.

If you don't find that shameful for the SE like I do, well goodluck. I expect our SE to be at the finals of the AFCON and at least the semis for the WC.

Rohr on the basis of his past and recent utterances and performance doesn't inspire that confidence in me.

So what are we paying so much for? Edumacate me. Biko.

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

john12 wrote:You’re the same CRIMINAL that would had been insulting the coach if we had lost this game. No honor with Criminals
While you are dancing npokiti that we won a useless bronze medal, I'm seething that one of two countries in the final took advantage of our poorly coached side.

I should be expecting to watch a final between the Super Eagles and one of the two pretenders now joisting for the trophy.

No one remembers a bronze medal. That is the level you and your massa expect for Nigeria - To be forgotten and a footnote in football history.

joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Thanks to God, the tourney is over and none of our players incur any serious injury.

Now let the recruiting to top notch teams begin for our guys. I pray none of our true talents
end up in the EPL, except of course Man City or Liverpool. :wink: :roll: :taunt:

I believe we have seen the last of some players in the national uniform (e.g. Mikel and Ezenwa).
Thanks to all, even the 'agents'. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Congrats to the boys and coaches. If this is Rohr's last game as coach of the SE then it is fitting to leave with a win.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
west33637
Egg
Egg

Post by west33637 »

Bell wrote:
Odas wrote:
osita wrote:Uzoho looks more assured, am wondering why Rohr used akepyi
We all know this even before the World cup. Why coach Rohr and his team chose Akpeyi is baffling to me

IT SURE'S BAFFLING, BUT...

…even this board was full of calls for Uzoho to be dropped, the reasons being that he wasn't even no. 1 in the lowly club he was loaned to. Only a few (including yours truly) were wondering why a man who didn't do so badly in Russia was all of a sudden set upon by the fans. And then the coaches.
Bell

I was wondering the same thing. Then I thought maybe he had done something terribly wrong in the qualifiers (that I didn't watch). The last I remembered was feeling assured when he was in the post. Akpeyi gives me jitters the moment the ball comes anywhere near him. Even a back pass. Uzoho might have a lot to learn, but he oozes confidence and that's a step in the right direction. Definitely number 1 for me
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Our biggest problem is our inability to retain possession. Our defenders are put on too much pressure by our inability to retain possession. I think I now understand why Rohr may have been reluctant to play Iwobi as an AM. He killed a number of our counters in this tournament with his final ball. He's still a good player and still remains our best option in the AM position, however Iwobi needs to tidy up his passing. We also need to look for other AM alternatives to at least give Iwobi competition. I'm over Musa playing on the left. He does so much running then gives the ball back to the opposition. Sad we didn't get to see Kalu much due to health scares.

We really need to work on our play in the final 3rd. The build up breaks down there more often than necessary. If Rohr can resolve this our play will improve tremendously.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Odas wrote:Based on this game, Oshimen is NOT all that.
...abi o! A whole 45 minutes of play nothing to show, I bet his clamoring agents are in hiding right now.
Don't get me wrong, I like the kid, but this ain't his time to replace veterans.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

akamoke wrote:Its weird watching us Celebrating Bronze, don't get me wrong, its not the celebration I have a problem with, its the irony of knowing that the loser of the next game won't feel as happy as the third place winner now. I doubt the runner up on Friday will be in such jubilant mood and will be celebrated

...I see. We could have lost, and hang long faces, and all the detractors will have a field day calling for the heads of those they did not get piece of pie from.

Nigerians, una dey one kin, nothing is satisfactory, yet no one wan put in effort. Btw, I'll take bronze over empty handed going home.
west33637
Egg
Egg

Post by west33637 »

Bell wrote:
theYemster wrote:Congrats to the guys but no offence Nigeria really shouldn't be celebrating bronze. Yeah we won, nice but we should just collect the medals and zap.

We have to show a championship mindset that we are only interested in the trophy.
AGREED...

...not in Africa should Nigeria be satisfied with the bronze. Not if it is aiming for a place among the top tier nations. And it should. Not sure though if that's the vision of those in charge.
Bell
I think the coach and the team had an ok tournament. The boys tried very hard. Probably pushed themselves to their limits. But the coaches world cup comments do not give me confidence that he shares majority of Naija football fans vision of being among the top tier nations. I think he already has much lower expectations for the team on the world scene. I don't think he will take us far on the world stage
Jmal
Egg
Egg

Post by Jmal »

west33637 wrote:
Bell wrote:
theYemster wrote:Congrats to the guys but no offence Nigeria really shouldn't be celebrating bronze. Yeah we won, nice but we should just collect the medals and zap.

We have to show a championship mindset that we are only interested in the trophy.
AGREED...

...not in Africa should Nigeria be satisfied with the bronze. Not if it is aiming for a place among the top tier nations. And it should. Not sure though if that's the vision of those in charge.
Bell
I think the coach and the team had an ok tournament. The boys tried very hard. Probably pushed themselves to their limits. But the coaches world cup comments do not give me confidence that he shares majority of Naija football fans vision of being among the top tier nations. I think he already has much lower expectations for the team on the world scene. I don't think he will take us far on the world stage

every time he lower expectation that means he is taking away the pressure from his players. :clap:
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
zee wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Osihmen, what da heck? Is he a footballer?
The Kid will come good..................wide angle but good intentions.
Bro, you sure. I don't see much there oh. Plus he has a poor attitude. Just watch him stand still when loses the ball.
I have seen him track back a few times.

yes....looks like people were waiting for an opportunity to yab the kid
In fairness to Waffi, he started slowly but gradually settled into the pace of the game after which you could see his pace, skill and other attributes in a cameo appearance. He needed more mins to show his worth in this ANC.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Enyi wrote:Won’t it be great if Etebo can touch and pass....
Be careful. They will soon say are a Mikel fan.