Re: Fate of the Dark Nike Jersey...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Like I've said before, these figures provided are just a summary of a wider breakdown which is ongoing.

The breakdown looks at key variables such as venue (Home, Away, Neutral), nature of games (friendly, competitive), type of tournament (WC, AFCON, AFCON qualifier), Opponent(s) and game dates. So it is simply to provide the raw data for everyone to look at and analyse in any way they deem fit. Nothing emotional or subjective about it.

I am not a statistician but sure know how to collate relevant raw data. Things like 'margin of error', 'statistically significant numbers' etc are not for me to determine.
Please feel free to reach your own conclusions. If you feel there is nothing in it, that's fine. If you feel the only way you can interpret the figures is that the jersey is 'jinxed' that's fine too.

I'm only compiling figures because there might be more to it than "meets the eye", pun intended. A good point made by Leaf which is close to my line of thinking was,
Leaf wrote:"...but I still believe we need to dump green on green uni on green grass. Teams wearing contrasting colors have the advantage in the peripheral vision department"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=296067&p=5472235
Personally, I think dark-skinned players (ie blacks) in dark strips on green grass is a handicap because there's no 'contrast'. But a wider study might reveal more. I doubt whether any studies have been done on this anywhere.

Anyway, here's the breakdown for the Super Eagles since they first donned the new Nike jersey last year.
Like I've said many times, I don't think its about the Nike jersey in particular, but more about wearing dark green strips in general and whether it can be shown to have had an effect on performance on all our teams over the years.

We're looking at the Super Falcons next, followed by our other national teams.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Thanks for posting. Still difficult to infer anything from the Dark Green jersey. 3 out of the 5 losses in this jersey were against Croatia, Argentina, Senegal. Teams that are ranked higher than Nigeria when they played (and were probably considered favourites against the SE). The loss to Madagascar an anomaly as one could attribute Nigeria resting players, having already qualified etc but nevertheless still a loss. I think the SE are ranked higher than Algeria (although Algeria were "favourites").

Nigeria have beaten, Libya, Poland and Egypt. Poland were ranked 6th at the time they played, whilst Nigeria were ranked greater than Egypt and Libya at the time they played.

As I've mentioned previously. From a logical perspective, I see no evidence (thus far) that points towards the "cursed" dark green jersey being a disadvantage on the field.
Last edited by Zelex on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Why wasn’t the second kit a reverse hybrid of the light green kit with all the chevrons and the sleeves but more prominent in darker green and black or white?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Zelex
Egg
Egg
Re: Re: Fate of the Dark Nike Jersey...

Post by Zelex »

Just to add the 3 losses in the LG jerseys were against teams that were higher ranked. Nigeria managed to win against Iceland and Tunisia in LG (who were ranked higher) but It would be interesting to see who the media/betting odds had as favourites etc. Nigeria didn't win in the LG jersey till their fifth time wearing it.

Conclusion: results in all kits roughly follow the form book. What I get from this, is that the SE are fairly predictable in terms of expected results.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Zelex wrote:Thanks for posting. Still difficult to infer anything from the Dark Green jersey. 3 out of the 5 losses in this jersey were against Croatia, Argentina, Senegal. Teams that are ranked higher than Nigeria when they played (and were probably considered favourites against the SE). The loss to Madagascar an anomaly as one could attribute Nigeria resting players, having already qualified etc but nevertheless still a loss. I think the SE are ranked higher than Algeria (although Algeria were "favourites").

Nigeria have beaten, Libya, Poland and Egypt. Poland were ranked 6th at the time they played, whilst Nigeria were ranked greater than Egypt and Libya at the time they played.

As I've mentioned previously. From a logical perspective, I see no evidence (thus far) that points towards the "cursed" dark green jersey being a disadvantage on the field.
How about for non-friendlies.

Patterns are patterns. You use everything in your arsenal to improve your odds.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Cellular wrote:
Zelex wrote:Thanks for posting. Still difficult to infer anything from the Dark Green jersey. 3 out of the 5 losses in this jersey were against Croatia, Argentina, Senegal. Teams that are ranked higher than Nigeria when they played (and were probably considered favourites against the SE). The loss to Madagascar an anomaly as one could attribute Nigeria resting players, having already qualified etc but nevertheless still a loss. I think the SE are ranked higher than Algeria (although Algeria were "favourites").

The thoughts typed include both friendlies and competitive games. 4 out of the 5 losses in the DG jersey were in non-friendlies, with Senegal the friendly match. 2 out of 3 wins were friendlies also (Poland and Egypt). Sample is still small though. One needs about 25 games in each jersey before you could even start debating seriously the effect of colour. Still quite some interesting observations noted.
Last edited by Zelex on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Get rid of the jersey.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Zelex wrote:
Cellular wrote:

The thoughts typed include both friendlies and competitive games. 4 out of the 5 losses in the DG jersey were in non-friendlies, with Senegal the friendly match. 2 out of 3 wins were friendlies also (Poland and Egypt). Sample is still small though. One needs about 25 games in each jersey before you could even start debating seriously the effect of colour. Still quite some interesting observations noted.
I agree totally.
This is why I am keen to increase the sample size eventually and incorporate other games in which we wore dark green strips. Also look at the Super Falcons, U23, U20 andU17 teams.

I think it could be the basis of further, more detailed research if we are able to throw up some interesting stats. I am sure there are CE members who are well versed in statistics and stat analysis.
Cybereagles could become famous! :lol:
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

No need for all these long statistics. It's simple.. Forget friendlies.

All competitive games we played with the light green jersey, we won. All the competitive matches we played with the DG, we lost. Lmao..we lost to Madagascar...2-0.
Get rid of the Jersey.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Dark Green is our away jersey..so essentially, you're saying we do better when we are the home team than when we are the away team
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

naijaguy wrote:No need for all these long statistics. It's simple.. Forget friendlies.

All competitive games we played with the light green jersey, we won. All the competitive matches we played with the DG, we lost. Lmao..we lost to Madagascar...2-0.
Get rid of the Jersey.
:D
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

naijaguy wrote:No need for all these long statistics. It's simple.. Forget friendlies.

Get rid of the Jersey.
Correction. Nigeria defeated Libya in the DG jersey. Lost to Croatia (WC 2018 finalist), Argentina (who have beaten Nigeria not matter the jersey colour, remember 2002 was LG jersey), Algeria (who most odd-makers had as favourites). Madagascar is the only game that went against the form books. Maybe it's just me but find it difficult to make a definite conclusion on jersey colour based on 5 competitive games... :?
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Damunk wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Cellular wrote:

I agree totally.
This is why I am keen to increase the sample size eventually and incorporate other games in which we wore dark green strips. Also look at the Super Falcons, U23, U20 andU17 teams.

I think it could be the basis of further, more detailed research if we are able to throw up some interesting stats. I am sure there are CE members who are well versed in statistics and stat analysis.
Cybereagles could become famous! :lol:
I think across all teams would be very insightful!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I vote this to the list of greatest CE posts of all time.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:Like I've said before, these figures provided are just a summary of a wider breakdown which is ongoing.

The breakdown looks at key variables such as venue (Home, Away, Neutral), nature of games (friendly, competitive), type of tournament (WC, AFCON, AFCON qualifier), Opponent(s) and game dates. So it is simply to provide the raw data for everyone to look at and analyse in any way they deem fit. Nothing emotional or subjective about it.

I am not a statistician but sure know how to collate relevant raw data. Things like 'margin of error', 'statistically significant numbers' etc are not for me to determine.
Please feel free to reach your own conclusions. If you feel there is nothing in it, that's fine. If you feel the only way you can interpret the figures is that the jersey is 'jinxed' that's fine too.

I'm only compiling figures because there might be more to it than "meets the eye", pun intended. A good point made by Leaf which is close to my line of thinking was,
Leaf wrote:"...but I still believe we need to dump green on green uni on green grass. Teams wearing contrasting colors have the advantage in the peripheral vision department"

Personally, I think dark-skinned players (ie blacks) in dark strips on green grass is a handicap because there's no 'contrast'. But a wider study might reveal more. I doubt whether any studies have been done on this anywhere.

Anyway, here's the breakdown for the Super Eagles since they first donned the new Nike jersey last year.
Like I've said many times, I don't think its about the Nike jersey in particular, but more about wearing dark green strips in general and whether it can be shown to have had an effect on performance on all our teams over the years.

it's all in your mind, the kits aren't the reasons we lose
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:Like I've said before, these figures provided are just a summary of a wider breakdown which is ongoing.

Damunk,

Great post. Instead if speculating, we now have data to dissect.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Zelex wrote:

Get rid of the Jersey.
Correction. Nigeria defeated Libya in the DG jersey. Lost to Croatia (WC 2018 finalist), Argentina (who have beaten Nigeria not matter the jersey colour, remember 2002 was LG jersey), Algeria (who most odd-makers had as favourites). Madagascar is the only game that went against the form books. Maybe it's just me but find it difficult to make a definite conclusion on jersey colour based on 5 competitive games... :?
How were Algeria favorites? Even if they were favorites it was because of how Naijaria was playing. Algeria was not even in the top 10 in Africa.

Funny how you said Argentina would have beaten Naijaria? Argentina won ONE game at the World Cup. And they won it because our coach does know how to kill off a team. Had us not reacting to the changes by Argentina.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Quick correction. We used the dark green strip against Czechoslavakia, not the Light Green strip. Meanwhile, excellent post. :thumbs:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nigeria ... 8KM:&vet=1
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i spent over 100.00 on the kit...all these people are miss-yarning
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Cellular wrote:
Zelex wrote:

Get rid of the Jersey.
How were Algeria favorites? Even if they were favorites it was because of how Naijaria was playing. Algeria was not even in the top 10 in Africa.

Funny how you said Argentina would have beaten Naijaria? Argentina won ONE game at the World Cup. And they won it because our coach does know how to kill off a team. Had us not reacting to the changes by Argentina.
Do you know that going into the R16, Nigeria were ranked 5th by odd-makers? Algeria were 3rd, most media outlets favoured Algeria (maybe except Nigerians) against the SE. The form book suggested an Algeria win. We have to look at ranking with context (alongside form, odds etc). Just like how Nigeria were favourites against Tunisia despite being 20 places below them in the FIFA ranking. Rankings are good starting point though.

Argentina were still favourites against Nigeria regardless. It was an expected result. Nigeria lost 1-0 to an Argentina team in the 2002 WC that only won 1 game and were eliminated in the group stages, this despite Rohr not being the manager ooo.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Obong wrote:Quick correction. We used the dark green strip against Czechoslavakia, not the Light Green strip. Meanwhile, excellent post. :thumbs:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nigeria ... 8KM:&vet=1
Obong, thanks for this!
You are absolutely right.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .

I don't know how I got that wrong but photographic/video evidence was sought for every game. I think it was one of the news reports about the Czech match that used a picture from a completely different game.

Your observation changes the stats and the DG loss percentage is now even higher - I will have to post an updated table reflecting the following:

LG (Home strip): P15 W9 D4 L2 WIN%: 60.0% LOSS%: 13.33%.
DG (Away strip): P 9 W3 D0 L6 WIN%: 33.33% LOSS%: 66.67%.

Chai....I think we are building a credible case. :thumb:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Zelex wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Zelex wrote:

Get rid of the Jersey.

Do you know that going into the R16, Nigeria were ranked 5th by odd-makers? Algeria were 3rd, most media outlets favoured Algeria (maybe except Nigerians) against the SE. The form book suggested an Algeria win. We have to look at ranking with context (alongside form, odds etc). Just like how Nigeria were favourites against Tunisia despite being 20 places below them in the FIFA ranking. Rankings are good starting point though.

Argentina were still favourites against Nigeria regardless. It was an expected result. Nigeria lost 1-0 to an Argentina team in the 2002 WC that only won 1 game and were eliminated in the group stages, this despite Rohr not being the manager ooo.
The more reason why we can't reduce our odds even more by wearing a Jersey we considered unlucky. It is not a new phenomenon. In the US, in the NFC East, teams try to get the Cowboys to wear their Blue jerseys because they lose more games than they win wearing that jersey. Call it superstition but there's superstition in sports. It is sorta kinda psychological. The way the Cameroon and SA game went, I am convinced that had we worn the Green jersey they might have found a way to beat us. That was how close the game seemed. Just saying... :D

Even the game against Algeria, I would have liked our odds if we had won our lucky white stripes. :D :P
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Cellular wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Zelex wrote:

Get rid of the Jersey.

The more reason why we can't reduce our odds even more by wearing a Jersey we considered unlucky. It is not a new phenomenon. In the US, in the NFC East, teams try to get the Cowboys to wear their Blue jerseys because they lose more games than they win wearing that jersey. Call it superstition but there's superstition in sports. It is sorta kinda psychological. The way the Cameroon and SA game went, I am convinced that had we worn the Green jersey they might have found a way to beat us. That was how close the game seemed. Just saying... :D

Even the game against Algeria, I would have liked our odds if we had won our lucky white stripes. :D :P
You definitely have a point there. I can't rule that out, whilst I'm not convinced about the "scientific" angle. I think it has reached a stage were the superstition is now feeding into the psychological aspect. I see comments about the DG jersey colour all over social media. I know for sure our players would have read them.