Re: Fate of the Dark Nike Jersey...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

joao
Egg
Egg
Re: Re: Fate of the Dark Nike Jersey...

Post by joao »

Damunk, I will proudly wear my ignorance jacket on this issue.
It is topics like this that dilute reality with fiction, which only muddles things up.
If you are a true 'gamer' with confidence and all that it takes to win, the color of
your uniform should be irrelevant. Have you ever observed a situation where both
teams wear identical colors, and the referee suggests that one team change its
uniform? Does that mean that the team whose favorite color was changed would
automatically lose?
Please Bro., lets find ways to better our game than lowering our intellect.
Cheers!!!
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

But we used to lose with the white jersey in 90s to 2006 or so.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

I think in your haste to appear smart, you may be doing just the opposite..Let me tell you a story. I dont remember what book I read it in but this group of friends used to meet once a week, and to prepare for the meeting, one person had to go and buy Ice cream.
They rotated among various flavors of ice cream..sometimes when the person went to buy Ice cream , the car would refuse to start on the way home, and they would need help jump starting the car.

Pretty soon, they found that that this ALWAYS happened on the night they had vanilla Ice Cream..which seemed like superstitious BS right?

Well it turned out that this particular store stored their vanilla Ice cream in the back and it took a few minutes longer to get, which in turn meant the car had enough time for the malfunctioning battery to drain and need help to get back up.

try to think of the SE losing in dark green as vanilla ice cream from the above story
joao wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:15 pm Damunk, I will proudly wear my ignorance jacket on this issue.
It is topics like this that dilute reality with fiction, which only muddles things up.
If you are a true 'gamer' with confidence and all that it takes to win, the color of
your uniform should be irrelevant. Have you ever observed a situation where both
automatically lose?
Cheers!!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

It’s just an exercise so Guys calm down before your anxiety lead to HBP; after all in just our galaxy alone there are 200 billion stars which means our type solar system possibly bearing a habitable planet like earth occurs 200 billion times just in one galaxy system, so now multiply those 200 galaxys by 200 billion galaxies in the visible cosmos and yet we find no life like us anywhere.
Even if we lose 200 times in the black Jersey it still lends no absolute validity to the Jersey doing anything to necessitate the losses.
Moreover to obtain an independent variable you have to also transfer the jerseys to another team other than SE and see if you obtain the same or similar Data/result for this to even amount to a study.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:03 pm It’s just an exercise so Guys calm down before your anxiety lead to HBP; after all in just our galaxy alone there are 200 billion stars which means our type solar system possibly bearing a habitable planet like earth occurs 200 billion times just in one galaxy system, so now multiply those 200 galaxys by 200 billion galaxies in the visible cosmos and yet we find no life like us anywhere.
Even if we lose 200 times in the black Jersey it still lends no absolute validity to the Jersey doing anything to necessitate the losses.
Moreover to obtain an independent variable you have to also transfer the jerseys to another team other than SE and see if you obtain the same or similar Data/result for this to even amount to a study.
Jette1, yet again I feel that I need to reiterate.
It’s not the jersey as in Nike jersey.
It’s the dark colour.
But you are absolutely right on the need to try the dark jersey (or any other dark jersey) on black players and then see whether there are any statistically significant differences in their game outcomes.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:28 am
jette1 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:03 pm It’s just an exercise so Guys calm down before your anxiety lead to HBP; after all in just our galaxy alone there are 200 billion stars which means our type solar system possibly bearing a habitable planet like earth occurs 200 billion times just in one galaxy system, so now multiply those 200 galaxys by 200 billion galaxies in the visible cosmos and yet we find no life like us anywhere.
Jette1, yet again I feel that I need to reiterate.
It’s not the jersey as in Nike jersey.
It’s the dark colour.
But you are absolutely right on the need to try the dark jersey (or any other dark jersey) on black players and then see whether there are any statistically significant differences in their game outcomes.
To me results from a study on this issue could be opening given the hypotheses suggested by Damunk. Suppose he finds that there is a significant outcome for Nigeria that is associated with these shirts if everything else is equal i.e. both shirts are worn com po aratively but home and away. Such finding will surely be useful.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

nanijoe wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:12 pm I think in your haste to appear smart, you may be doing just the opposite..Let me tell you a story. I dont remember what book I read it in but this group of friends used to meet once a week, and to prepare for the meeting, one person had to go and buy Ice cream.
They rotated among various flavors of ice cream..sometimes when the person went to buy Ice cream , the car would refuse to start on the way home, and they would need help jump starting the car.

Pretty soon, they found that that this ALWAYS happened on the night they had vanilla Ice Cream..which seemed like superstitious BS right?

Well it turned out that this particular store stored their vanilla Ice cream in the back and it took a few minutes longer to get, which in turn meant the car had enough time for the malfunctioning battery to drain and need help to get back up.

try to think of the SE losing in dark green as vanilla ice cream from the above story
joao wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:15 pm Damunk, I will proudly wear my ignorance jacket on this issue.
automatically lose?
Cheers!!!
really so nah ice cream now.. my belle ooo this nah some BS :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

On the surface, I think dark green jerseys for dark players are a disadvantage. It makes sense.

In a game where split second decisions have to be made, contrasts matter. Do I think it’s the most important factor, No. But in a game of margins, green jerseys on green grass with dark skinned players sounds like a disadvantage
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

deanotito wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:27 am On the surface, I think dark green jerseys for dark players are a disadvantage. It makes sense.

In a game where split second decisions have to be made, contrasts matter. Do I think it’s the most important factor, No. But in a game of margins, green jerseys on green grass with dark skinned players sounds like a disadvantage
“Dark green jerseys for dark skin players are a disadvantage, it makes sense” ?
Bro could you please tell us more and how exactly this goes.
Could anyone dispute that this chain of thought and self degradation isn’t rooted in subliminal accepted white racial hierarchy. I’m not even sure that this is the theme of the thread.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

The figures look damning for the dark green jersey. Hopefully, now that Rohr is gone folks are not gonna laugh this off as a coping mechanism for Rohr supporters. :wink:
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I will say this.

I do not know if what Damunk is saying is true, but it definitely can be correct.

We know that productivity is affected by the environment. The temperature, the colours on the walls of the room, the ambient sounds, the amount of natural light etc. We also know that colours or patterns evoke meaning in people, this is due to evolutionary traits. We also know that even the colours themselves travel at different wavelengths. So some colours are easier to see than others. In fact blue light is the only light seen at the deepest ocean depths. Of course we can also talk about optical illusions.

So already, we know for a fact that the environment can and will shape productivity and awareness. What we do not know is the extent to which it matters.

And of course the sample size makes the process of determining this difficult, as does the other variables.

I do not know if it should be presented as fact, but the question is incredibly intelligent. There will definitely be an effect, but what is the effect, and what is the nature of those effects.

For example there may be a connection with visual perception based on the colour green alone, but not related to the dark skin, as Damunk assumes.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

jette1 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:17 am
deanotito wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:27 am On the surface, I think dark green jerseys for dark players are a disadvantage. It makes sense.

Could anyone dispute that this chain of thought and self degradation isn’t rooted in subliminal accepted white racial hierarchy. I’m not even sure that this is the theme of the thread.
My brother, calm down. This has nothing to do with self degradation.

In my line of work, my company competes with other highly sophisticated entities where the difference between bankruptcy and success is very marginal. In another example…American sports…they work on just about every factor to give their players an advantage…many times to scientific precision.

Football is played on green grass. You then wear a jersey that is close to the color of the grass. Before you tell me anything else, I can already tell you, you’re at a marginal disadvantage. Finding a player to pass to is often a factor of your peripheral/marginal vision. When your opponents are equally gifted, taking an extra second to find a pass can be costly.

Now let’s get to skin color. So you have dark green grass, dark green jersey and now black skin. Though black is not green, it is also not that much of a contrast when quick decisions have to be made in my honest opinion.

Like I said, all this is “on the surface”. This would need to be studied by competent professionals, with experiments carried out. But as I’ve said earlier, you wouldn’t believe the level of engineering that the Germans and Americans have introduced into their sports and industrial processes. When all these improvements are added up, they amount to a major advantage.

We cannot change our skin. We cannot change our national flag. We cannot change the color of the grass. But we can sure alter our jersey…and if the decision was mine - and I had no money to adequately study it - I would never allow the eagles to wear a dark green jersey. Obviously, if a good study rubbishes it, I will discard the thought.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

If we want to arrive at a definite answer. I would suggest using a massive sample, including even teams that AREN'T even Necessarily the Super Eagles or Nigeria.

And here is how I would tackle the difficulty of opposition issue, wins and losses are a large margin of outcome, but we DO NOT immediately know the size of the effect of the dark green colour. The effect may be so subtle to effectively be noise.

So I would suggest that the study is not conducted based on wins and losses, but based on more subtle outputs, perhaps completed passes for example.

Use a large sample size, use a better variable (completed passes for example), but only aggregate the differences based on the same periods.

I.e. Changes in completed passes within a 12 month period for example, and if you want to aggregate, then you sum the differences AFTER comparing only within the 12 month period. I.e. Dark green/Light green difference (2006) + Dark green/Light green difference (2013), but you do not immediately compare across different years.

What would be more ideal would be to design the study from scratch though.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

nanijoe wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:12 pm I think in your haste to appear smart, you may be doing just the opposite..Let me tell you a story. I dont remember what book I read it in but this group of friends used to meet once a week, and to prepare for the meeting, one person had to go and buy Ice cream.

automatically lose?
Cheers!!!
Nanijoe, tbh you’re not really disproving what Damunk is saying. You’re just buttressing the need for a controlled experiment.

Science starts with observations, then hypotheses and then testing. In your ice cream analogy, the hypotheses of superstition failed because it has no basis in reason. And so it didn’t even get to testing

Damunk’s theory does have a basis when you consider that we’re dealing with colors and contrasts. If Damunk’s theory was that African players don’t do well in green because their ancestors did not ever wear green, it would be a theory akin to the vanilla ice cream/car trouble superstition, and should rightly be discarded.

What Damunk is talking about is about color contrasts and it’s impact on decision making during an intense game.

Let me ask you this. Why do you think the football authorities don’t allow 2 teams in the same game wear similar jersey colors?
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

automatically lose?
Cheers!!!
No disrespect intended, but this is ignorance. What is a ‘true gamer’?

Whether you give me the best jersey in the world, the best boots in the world, the best nutrition in the world, I cannot outplay Zidane. But if it is Zidane v Messi, the marginal advantages WILL matter. So if you give Messi the best boots, the best nutrition, and the best jersey, he would probably outplay Zidane…because at that level, margins matter.

This is what Damunk is saying. There are color contrasts at play in football..and when you pair Nigeria against somewhat comparably talented teams, you have to try to gain any advantage you can get.

This is the way it is in sports. This is the way it is in business. This is the way it is in life. ‘True gamers’, as you fall them, just haven’t met the right competition.

I remember in 2014, Germany said it was going to build its own training facility in Brazil for the World Cup, as it didn’t think the Brazilian one was up to its standard. I can bet you the Brazilian built one was superb and would have wowed you. But ‘true Gamer’ Germany was looking for the perfect fit for its team. The rest is history
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

deanotito wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:31 am
jette1 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:17 am

My brother, calm down. This has nothing to do with self degradation.

In my line of work, my company competes with other highly sophisticated entities where the difference between bankruptcy and success is very marginal. In another example…American sports…they work on just about every factor to give their players an advantage…many times to scientific precision.

Football is played on green grass. You then wear a jersey that is close to the color of the grass. Before you tell me anything else, I can already tell you, you’re at a marginal disadvantage. Finding a player to pass to is often a factor of your peripheral/marginal vision. When your opponents are equally gifted, taking an extra second to find a pass can be costly.

Now let’s get to skin color. So you have dark green grass, dark green jersey and now black skin. Though black is not green, it is also not that much of a contrast when quick decisions have to be made in my honest opinion.

Like I said, all this is “on the surface”. This would need to be studied by competent professionals, with experiments carried out. But as I’ve said earlier, you wouldn’t believe the level of engineering that the Germans and Americans have introduced into their sports and industrial processes. When all these improvements are added up, they amount to a major advantage.

We cannot change our skin. We cannot change our national flag. We cannot change the color of the grass. But we can sure alter our jersey…and if the decision was mine - and I had no money to adequately study it - I would never allow the eagles to wear a dark green jersey. Obviously, if a good study rubbishes it, I will discard the thought.
Mehn….. you’ve said it all. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks for capturing my thinking so eloquently.

I really wish I had the time to collate data on hundreds of games, not just on Nigeria’s dark green jerseys down the ages, but on dark-skinned teams wearing dark colours (dark green or otherwise).
The data is there. It’s the time.
It would be a great research project for a Sports Psychology or Sports Studies graduate.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

uniform?
Does that mean that the team whose favorite color was changed would
automatically lose?
Cheers!!!
But you inadvertently make my point my guy.
Why is the ref insisting on a change of colours in the first place?
Egg
Egg

Post by 404 »

Typical Niaja and fetish stupidity—what has the color of the jersey have to do with incompetence, corruption, lack of planning, and failure to execute? I thought God was suppose to be a Nigerian…..hahahaha!
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

I was actually 100% agreeing with Damunk , while asking joao to run a thought experiment.

I dont want to muddy the waters here, but while dark green is hard color to analyze because pro sports teams hardly ever wear green, The NY Giants as poor as they have been recently, appear to win more in white than in dark blue (home teams are more likely to wear white in US sports)
deanotito wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:37 am

automatically lose?
Cheers!!!
Nanijoe, tbh you’re not really disproving what Damunk is saying. You’re just buttressing the need for a controlled experiment.

Science starts with observations, then hypotheses and then testing. In your ice cream analogy, the hypotheses of superstition failed because it has no basis in reason. And so it didn’t even get to testing

Damunk’s theory does have a basis when you consider that we’re dealing with colors and contrasts. If Damunk’s theory was that African players don’t do well in green because their ancestors did not ever wear green, it would be a theory akin to the vanilla ice cream/car trouble superstition, and should rightly be discarded.

What Damunk is talking about is about color contrasts and it’s impact on decision making during an intense game.

Let me ask you this. Why do you think the football authorities don’t allow 2 teams in the same game wear similar jersey colors?
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Damunk wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:56 am
teams wear identical colors
, and the referee suggests that one team change its
uniform?
automatically lose?
Cheers!!!
Please read again what I wrote, and you will note I never made your point.
Seems like your answer is begging my question.

Again - If SE is playing a team that wears a light jersey similar to ours, and to
not create confusion we are are asked to switch our color. If all we had is the
dark jersey, does that mean we already lost the game? I say no!
You guys can call me silly on this issue, but I stand my ground that if my team
is better than the other team jersey color is irrelevant. Period!
Also note that we won against Egypt in the dark color, and this excuse did not surface. :taunt: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

joao wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:26 pm
Damunk wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:56 am
teams wear identical colors
, and the referee suggests that one team change its
uniform?
automatically lose?
Cheers!!!
Please read again what I wrote, and you will note I never made your point.
Seems like your answer is begging my question.

Again - If SE is playing a team that wears a light jersey similar to ours, and to
not create confusion we are are asked to switch our color. If all we had is the
dark jersey, does that mean we already lost the game? I say no!
You guys can call me silly on this issue, but I stand my ground that if my team
is better than the other team jersey color is irrelevant. Period!
Also note that we won against Egypt in the dark color, and this excuse did not surface. :taunt: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guy, first I never called you silly.
Second, IT IS NOT ABOUT INDIVIDUAL GAMES.
That’s the last time I will repeat that because it is becoming obvious you are stuck in your lane and can’t seem to see things from a wider perspective.
Have you not seen the table with results including wins in the dark jersey clearly stated, so what point are you making about Egypt?
It’s not you being silly, You just don’t seem to be paying attention.
01bakana
Egg
Egg

Post by 01bakana »

Kelechi Nwakali in the NFF TV clip made a point similar to Damunk's when asked about his favourite jerseys that he preferred the light one due to visibility.
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Damunk,

Why not raise a petition for us fans to sign and submit to Nike/NFF requesting a third jersey, perhaps red in honor of Red Devils, our original name, before changing to Green Eagles?