Re: Fate of the Dark Nike Jersey...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Re: Fate of the Dark Nike Jersey...

Post by Damunk »

Zelex wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Zelex wrote:
naijaguy wrote:No need for all these long statistics. It's simple.. Forget friendlies.

All competitive games we played with the light green jersey, we won. All the competitive matches we played with the DG, we lost. Lmao..we lost to Madagascar...2-0.
Get rid of the Jersey.
Correction. Nigeria defeated Libya in the DG jersey. Lost to Croatia (WC 2018 finalist), Argentina (who have beaten Nigeria not matter the jersey colour, remember 2002 was LG jersey), Algeria (who most odd-makers had as favourites). Madagascar is the only game that went against the form books. Maybe it's just me but find it difficult to make a definite conclusion on jersey colour based on 5 competitive games... :?
How were Algeria favorites? Even if they were favorites it was because of how Naijaria was playing. Algeria was not even in the top 10 in Africa.

Funny how you said Argentina would have beaten Naijaria? Argentina won ONE game at the World Cup. And they won it because our coach does know how to kill off a team. Had us not reacting to the changes by Argentina.
Do you know that going into the R16, Nigeria were ranked 5th by odd-makers? Algeria were 3rd, most media outlets favoured Algeria (maybe except Nigerians) against the SE. The form book suggested an Algeria win. We have to look at ranking with context (alongside form, odds etc). Just like how Nigeria were favourites against Tunisia despite being 20 places below them in the FIFA ranking. Rankings are good starting point though.

Argentina were still favourites against Nigeria regardless. It was an expected result. Nigeria lost 1-0 to an Argentina team in the 2002 WC that only won 1 game and were eliminated in the group stages, this despite Rohr not being the manager ooo.
The more reason why we can't reduce our odds even more by wearing a Jersey we considered unlucky. It is not a new phenomenon. In the US, in the NFC East, teams try to get the Cowboys to wear their Blue jerseys because they lose more games than they win wearing that jersey. Call it superstition but there's superstition in sports. It is sorta kinda psychological. The way the Cameroon and SA game went, I am convinced that had we worn the Green jersey they might have found a way to beat us. That was how close the game seemed. Just saying... :D

Even the game against Algeria, I would have liked our odds if we had won our lucky white stripes. :D :P
You definitely have a point there. I can't rule that out, whilst I'm not convinced about the "scientific" angle. I think it has reached a stage were the superstition is now feeding into the psychological aspect. I see comments about the DG jersey colour all over social media. I know for sure our players would have read them.
Yes, both superstition and real factual evidence can feed into the psychological. Loads of the world's top players have their superstitions which drive their pre-match rituals which they absolutely have to perform to get themselves in the right frame of mind for the game.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

This is the most relevant part of the post that i have always been concerned :

" Personally, I think dark-skinned players (ie blacks) in dark strips on green grass is a handicap because there's no 'contrast'."

If any one has played competitive football 11 vs 11 in day time and night time they will know if the opponents jerseys are similar it creates a problem with some misplaced passes , defensive or attacking movements or covering because you may mistake an opponent for your team mate in making split seconds decisions from corner of eye especially in pressure situations or when fatigue begin come.

Also in making a split second decision you may miss you team mate, miscalculate a pass because of the dark coloured jersey's blending with the grass or missing it because of a shield in front of team mate by your opponents.

In Summary we go need to add some bright colour or change our dark green jerseys.
The current colour does more Damage than Good.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Cellular wrote:
Zelex wrote:
naijaguy wrote:No need for all these long statistics. It's simple.. Forget friendlies.

All competitive games we played with the light green jersey, we won. All the competitive matches we played with the DG, we lost. Lmao..we lost to Madagascar...2-0.
Get rid of the Jersey.
Correction. Nigeria defeated Libya in the DG jersey. Lost to Croatia (WC 2018 finalist), Argentina (who have beaten Nigeria not matter the jersey colour, remember 2002 was LG jersey), Algeria (who most odd-makers had as favourites). Madagascar is the only game that went against the form books. Maybe it's just me but find it difficult to make a definite conclusion on jersey colour based on 5 competitive games... :?
How were Algeria favorites? Even if they were favorites it was because of how Naijaria was playing. Algeria was not even in the top 10 in Africa.

Funny how you said Argentina would have beaten Naijaria? Argentina won ONE game at the World Cup. And they won it because our coach does know how to kill off a team. Had us not reacting to the changes by Argentina

so would our coach have done the same thing, regardless of jersey?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Update.

Note:
Ignore the double entry for Ukraine. It is a formatting error but only the one result came into the calculations.

My Observation:
The starkest thing that strikes me is our performance on neutral grounds in the dark jersey compared to in the bright jersey.
We've played eight games in each but notice the stark difference in performance outcomes.

There are other interesting patterns too but the general conclusion can be reached that we seem to play worse in the dark jerseys overall. However, though the numbers might be statistically insignificant, we have won ALL our FOUR games in dark green on home and away grounds.

I am happy for anyone to give their own interpretation of the stats but it seems to me that there might be something worth exploring.

If I had the time I would explore the results going as far back as ten years and also look into the Super Falcons and even the U20 teams.

Personally I think it is probably down to
a) The psychological (conscious and unconscious) and
b) The issue of 'peripheral vision'.

In elite sports, the difference between success and failure can be down to very tiny margins.

Disclaimer: To the Anti-Rohr Brigade.
NO. I am not "looking for excuses".
I am simply exploring the popular sentiment that we don't perform as well in our dark jerseys.
Not everything has to be Trumpian politics.
I simply find the subject matter fascinating. :taunt:
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Dark Green Neutral Site losses : Argentina, Algeria, Madagascar, Czech republic, Croatia, Senegal (I only counted 6 on the table)

Light Green Neutral Wins : Iceland, Tunisia, South Africa, Cameroun , Guinea, Burundi

The Madagascar result may be the only surprising one of the bunch...

It also appears that Home/Away designations in FIFA tournaments is based on who is listed first in the match/game billing ie in Nigeria vs Argentina , Nigeria would be the home team, and in Argentina vs Nigeria, Nigeria would be the away team.
Is it then possible that the stronger or higher ranked team would usually be the home team in a FIFA tournament? If thats the case, then the mystery of the "bad luck" dark green may have been solved
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Zelex wrote:

Get rid of the Jersey.
We have never played a competitive game against Argentina wearing white. And maybe the LG jersey worn in 2002 saved us from a 3-0 scoreline or worse :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Zelex wrote:

Get rid of the Jersey.
We have never played a competitive game against Argentina wearing white. And maybe the LG jersey worn in 2002 saved us from a 3-0 scoreline or worse :mrgreen:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
This is why ideally, the research should go as far back as possible.

I don't think the theory that dark colours on dark-skinned players might have an adverse albeit marginal effect on performance should be dismissed so readily.
It might be a combination of factors, but for those laughing, the joke might ultimately be on them.

Its funny, but those that like to identify WOWOs left and right, seem to be the people that are laughing and will only consider it worth considering if oyibo comse up with the research findings. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Damunk wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Zelex wrote:

Get rid of the Jersey.

I don't think the theory that dark colours on dark-skinned players might have an adverse albeit marginal effect on performance should be dismissed so readily.
It might be a combination of factors, but for those laughing, the joke might ultimately be on them.
Its funny, but those that like to identify WOWOs left and right, seem to be the people that are laughing and will only consider it worth considering if oyibo comse up with the research findings. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Thanks BTW for the extensive work you did on this issue. :clap: :clap: Besides the contrast issues with the dark green color, how about other issues like effect of the color on the mood of players? I know what effect that dark green color has on my mood when I see it, let alone watch us playing with it, and it ain't a good one. 8-)

Anyway, I will borrow your numbers and try to do another kind of statistical analysis.
Last edited by Scipio Africanus on Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

nanijoe wrote:Dark Green Neutral Site losses : Argentina, Algeria, Madagascar, Czech republic, Croatia, Senegal (I only counted 6 on the table)
We lost both times to Algeria in dark jerseys (AFCON s/final and 2 days ago).
You've counted only one of them.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Zelex wrote:

Get rid of the Jersey.

Thanks BTW for the extensive work you did on this issue. :clap: :clap: Besides the contrast issues with the dark green color, how about other issues like effect of the color on the mood of players? I know what effect that dark green color has on my mood when I see it, let alone watch us playing with it, and it ain't a good one. 8-)

Anyway, I will borrow your numbers and try to do another kind of statistical analysis.
Please do.
The more the merrier. :thumb:
Who knows, we could present the findings to Nike or even FIFA if the numbers are big enough and the findings significant enough.

As for mood, you are spot on.
What we wear at any given time has an effect on our moods and how we feel about ourselves.
It is not rocket science.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:Like I've said before, these figures provided are just a summary of a wider breakdown which is ongoing.

The breakdown looks at key variables such as venue (Home, Away, Neutral), nature of games (friendly, competitive), type of tournament (WC, AFCON, AFCON qualifier), Opponent(s) and game dates. So it is simply to provide the raw data for everyone to look at and analyse in any way they deem fit. Nothing emotional or subjective about it.

I am not a statistician but sure know how to collate relevant raw data. Things like 'margin of error', 'statistically significant numbers' etc are not for me to determine.
Please feel free to reach your own conclusions. If you feel there is nothing in it, that's fine. If you feel the only way you can interpret the figures is that the jersey is 'jinxed' that's fine too.

I'm only compiling figures because there might be more to it than "meets the eye", pun intended. A good point made by Leaf which is close to my line of thinking was,
Leaf wrote:"...but I still believe we need to dump green on green uni on green grass. Teams wearing contrasting colors have the advantage in the peripheral vision department"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=296067&p=5472235
Personally, I think dark-skinned players (ie blacks) in dark strips on green grass is a handicap because there's no 'contrast'. But a wider study might reveal more. I doubt whether any studies have been done on this anywhere.

Anyway, here's the breakdown for the Super Eagles since they first donned the new Nike jersey last year.
Like I've said many times, I don't think its about the Nike jersey in particular, but more about wearing dark green strips in general and whether it can be shown to have had an effect on performance on all our teams over the years.

We're looking at the Super Falcons next, followed by our other national teams.
Damunk,

Great post. Instead if speculating, we now have data to dissect.
The data would still be independent of anything; you still would have to have a valid indisputable no speculative association of the data to SE results. You do this by presenting any other team team from another country Besides Nigeria with same exact data & result Otherwise it would vodoo talk
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

There is no question in my mind that in a game based on quick decision making, jersey colors matter. While their importance run the risk of being overstated (i.e. wearing the right colors cannot give Kenya victory over Germany), on the margin and between teams of similar capabilities, they could give an edge.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

deanotito wrote:There is no question in my mind that in a game based on quick decision making, jersey colors matter. While their importance run the risk of being overstated (i.e. wearing the right colors cannot give Kenya victory over Germany), on the margin and between teams of similar capabilities, they could give an edge.
Excellent point and I believe you (or someone else) has said this before.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:Like I've said before, these figures provided are just a summary of a wider breakdown which is ongoing.

The breakdown looks at key variables such as venue (Home, Away, Neutral), nature of games (friendly, competitive), type of tournament (WC, AFCON, AFCON qualifier), Opponent(s) and game dates. So it is simply to provide the raw data for everyone to look at and analyse in any way they deem fit. Nothing emotional or subjective about it.

I am not a statistician but sure know how to collate relevant raw data. Things like 'margin of error', 'statistically significant numbers' etc are not for me to determine.
Please feel free to reach your own conclusions. If you feel there is nothing in it, that's fine. If you feel the only way you can interpret the figures is that the jersey is 'jinxed' that's fine too.

I'm only compiling figures because there might be more to it than "meets the eye", pun intended. A good point made by Leaf which is close to my line of thinking was,
Leaf wrote:"...but I still believe we need to dump green on green uni on green grass. Teams wearing contrasting colors have the advantage in the peripheral vision department"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=296067&p=5472235
Personally, I think dark-skinned players (ie blacks) in dark strips on green grass is a handicap because there's no 'contrast'. But a wider study might reveal more. I doubt whether any studies have been done on this anywhere.

Anyway, here's the breakdown for the Super Eagles since they first donned the new Nike jersey last year.
Like I've said many times, I don't think its about the Nike jersey in particular, but more about wearing dark green strips in general and whether it can be shown to have had an effect on performance on all our teams over the years.

We're looking at the Super Falcons next, followed by our other national teams.
Damunk,

Great post. Instead if speculating, we now have data to dissect.
The data would still be independent of anything; you still would have to have a valid indisputable no speculative association of the data to SE results. You do this by presenting any other team team from another country Besides Nigeria with same exact data & result Otherwise it would vodoo talk
That goes without saying.
But we have started from home because that is what triggered the curiosity.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Damunk wrote:Update.

Note:
Ignore the double entry for Ukraine. It is a formatting error but only the one result came into the calculations.

My Observation:
The starkest thing that strikes me is our performance on neutral grounds in the dark jersey compared to in the bright jersey.
We've played eight games in each but notice the stark difference in performance outcomes.

There are other interesting patterns too but the general conclusion can be reached that we seem to play worse in the dark jerseys overall. However, though the numbers might be statistically insignificant, we have won ALL our FOUR games in dark green on home and away grounds.

I am happy for anyone to give their own interpretation of the stats but it seems to me that there might be something worth exploring.

If I had the time I would explore the results going as far back as ten years and also look into the Super Falcons and even the U20 teams.

In elite sports, the difference between success and failure can be down to very tiny margins.

I am simply exploring the popular sentiment that we don't perform as well in our dark jerseys.
I'm back with my pet theory! :D :D :D
Will continue to update the chart as for me it is an ongoing process. By next week I will have four games to update the chart with (x2 vs S/Leone, Rep of Benin and Lesotho).

But we won yesterday away in light green.
Hopefully we are in light green on Tuesday too.
I really don't trust the dark green jersey and who knows what might have happened yesterday if we had worn dark green?

Like has been said, if there is a statistically significant trend it could possibly be down to:
1. Peripheral vision
2. Psychological factors

I swear, if I had the time I would expand this study to include all our Nigerian national teams, and other African countries that have contrasting dark and light coloured strips.

Statisticians should really look into it. :thumb:
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Damunk wrote:
Obong wrote:Quick correction. We used the dark green strip against Czechoslavakia, not the Light Green strip. Meanwhile, excellent post. :thumbs:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nigeria ... 8KM:&vet=1
Obong, thanks for this!
You are absolutely right.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .

I don't know how I got that wrong but photographic/video evidence was sought for every game. I think it was one of the news reports about the Czech match that used a picture from a completely different game.

Your observation changes the stats and the DG loss percentage is now even higher - I will have to post an updated table reflecting the following:

LG (Home strip): P15 W9 D4 L2 WIN%: 60.0% LOSS%: 13.33%.
DG (Away strip): P 9 W3 D0 L6 WIN%: 33.33% LOSS%: 66.67%.

Chai....I think we are building a credible case. :thumb:
I never liked that Jersey. A lot of persons here could come up with a better design than this, Since Ghana took our White color from us.

I never liked that Jersey. Period. A lot of people here could come out with a better design than this; since Ghana took our White color from us.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bump.
Though the data needs serious updating from Oct 2020.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:37 pm Bump.
Doc, this is the type of attention to detail that helps teams use every advantage they can muster.

There's a whole science on "Color Psychology".

Read in the past an article on uniform color related to aggressive behavior and reaction times and also about getting favorable calls. There's this joke attributed to Frank Abagnale Sr., who always said, “Why do the Yankees always win? Because the other teams can't stop staring at those damn pinstripes.” :lol: :lol: It doesn't hurt that the Yankees always had better players... but with all things remaining equal you never know.

We might just as well file this under quasi-science. I think it is worth noting. :D
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:43 am
Damunk wrote:Update.

Note:

My Observation:

I'm back with my pet theory! :D :D :D
Will continue to update the chart as for me it is an ongoing process. By next week I will have four games to update the chart with (x2 vs S/Leone, Rep of Benin and Lesotho).

But we won yesterday away in light green.
Hopefully we are in light green on Tuesday too.
I really don't trust the dark green jersey and who knows what might have happened yesterday if we had worn dark green?

Like has been said, if there is a statistically significant trend it could possibly be down to:
1. Peripheral vision
2. Psychological factors

I swear, if I had the time I would expand this study to include all our Nigerian national teams, and other African countries that have contrasting dark and light coloured strips.

Statisticians should really look into it. :thumb:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I love it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

I cant believe I actually thought of this thread when I saw the SE file out in dark green

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

nanijoe wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:58 pm I cant believe I actually thought of this thread when I saw the SE file out in dark green

It happens to me every time they file out in dark green, but that’s just me.
I don’t think there is any superstition the players carry regarding the dark jerseys. It’s more about fans but there are many fans that feel the same.
To be honest, I have no idea where my own superstitions have come from but I’ve always felt we play better in lighter coloured strips, or white.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Color psychology ranks same as the claim of juju in sports.
It's funny you guys did not bring this up when we beat Egypt wearing same colors.
I'm guessing that when all useless excuses fail, the jersey colors should be added.
Sorry guys, we lost because we fumbled, did not take our scoring chances, and our
opponents were able to ride to the end their lone score.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

joao wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:19 am Color psychology ranks same as the claim of juju in sports.
It's funny you guys did not bring this up when we beat Egypt wearing same colors.
I'm guessing that when all useless excuses fail, the jersey colors should be added.
Sorry guys, we lost because we fumbled, did not take our scoring chances, and our
opponents were able to ride to the end their lone score.
Come on guy.
Just try and be a little open minded to new information and perspectives. That you rank ‘Color psychology’ in sport alongside juju isn’t good for your PR. :rotf:
But maybe I misunderstand you.

This thread has been ongoing for over two years.
How many times have I repeated that it is not about any particular match, whether win or lose? So it’s not about Egypt, or Tunisia or CAR.
It is about trying to identify a pattern, or trend, if there is one.
So it gets updated over time.

You don’t have to get involved if it’s not your thing.

Like Cellular said earlier, things like this is the “attention to detail that helps teams use every advantage they can muster”.