Super Falcons deserve same pay as Super Eagles - Desire Opar

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Super Falcons deserve same pay as Super Eagles - Desire

Post by Damunk »

osita wrote:
Damunk wrote:You don't need to be a class above your male colleagues to demand equal pay if you're doing the same job.
I don't get why they get paid less in the first place. Its scandalous.
Its like justifying why a white guy should get more pay than a black guy for doing the same job.
You can't argue in favor of one and defend the other.

It can even be legitimately argued that the Falcons are actually more successful than the Eagles.
So on what basis are we deciding on their lower pay?
This is 2019.
With all your contributions,Am surprised you could say this? :curse: how can u demand equal pay because u have a Vigina ?

U earn based on your profitability, is like saying medical doctors in Nigeria want to earn the same as doctors in the USA, does that make sense?
I missed this but I am surprised at the nature of your response Osita.
Are you sure you don't want to rephrase your question?
Or even delete it? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Bigpokey24 wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/super-falc ... 06375.html
Desire Oparanozie believes the Nigeria women's team deserve to receive the same pay as the country's male side.

Oparanozie, who captained the Super Falcons to a Round of 16 finish at the 2019 Fifa Women's World Cup, made the comment at the 2019 Ladies In Sports Conference in Lagos.

In 2018, Thomas Dennerby's side piped South Africa to win their ninth African Women's Cup of Nations crown in Ghana, making them the African team with the most titles.

In spite of the team's successes, they only received US$3,000 as winning bonus and $1,500 for a draw at international outings, compared to the men's team getting $10,000 and $5,000 for the same achievements.

"We are the most successful female team in Africa, yet we have the largest disparities between men's and women's pay," noted Oparanozie.

"I think we deserve equal pay. This big gap tells a different story and a proper rethink of this mode of payment could also help the women's game.

"We have done the nation proud and I think the results over the years are there for all to see.

"With positive results and more success, I believe we will get there, it's one step at a time."

Oparanozie will hope for a positive response from the Nigeria Football Federation when the Super Falcons gather for next month's African Women's 2020 Olympic qualifier against Algeria.
:D

oya make una come out now, and give the falcons their money...them too say dem they sacrifice for the nation
ok
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

osita wrote:
Damunk wrote:You don't need to be a class above your male colleagues to demand equal pay if you're doing the same job.
Its like justifying why a white guy should get more pay than a black guy for doing the same job.

It can even be legitimately argued that the Falcons are actually more successful than the Eagles.
This is 2019.
With all your contributions,Am surprised you could say this? :curse: how can u demand equal pay because u have a Vigina ?

U earn based on your profitability, is like saying medical doctors in Nigeria want to earn the same as doctors in the USA, does that make sense?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you're like that Naija man blowing grammar on TV, claiming that something happened in the US in the state of West Vagina :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote:The argument is not as simple as most people are making here. First of all, whether it his about equal pay or equity in pay, there is a point to be made for the Falcons. Here are some points to think about:

1. This is not about what players get at their clubs. This is strictly about NATIONAL SERVICE and fair compensation for that service.

2. Wow, if this is indeed based one revenue as most of you have argued then that is NEWS not just to me but should be for all of us. The last time I checked the NFF was receiving money to run its programs from government subventions and NOT revenue generated by the Super Eagles! Now tell me again why Super Eagles should get more cut out of this GOVERNMENT SUBVENTION than their women colleagues who have done more by actually winning trophies?

3. How much television money or gate fees do the Eagles bring in deserving of the huge gap in pay between the Eagles and Falcons?

4. Many of you here have lambasted about mediocrity associated with bronze winning etc. :rotf: :rotf: Now, you have Falcons who have consistently dominated Africa as opposed to Super Eagles who have not. Is there no compensation for that difference? Remember it is about performance versus the so-called mediocrity.

5. While you may argue that Super Eagles' part-share should be based on a proportion of funds generated from FIFA and CAF, are the Falcons getting the same proportion from such funds?

6. While pay has been put up here by Oparanozie, it has been clear for years that the women team has been poorly treated for years in many areas when compared to the Super Eagles. Think about accommodation, think about transportation, etc.

The bottomline is that I will not dismiss Damunk's views by a simple waive of hand. There is certainly inequity, if not unequal treatment, that has been going around.
But be sure your thinking is not clouded when talking of Revenue in relation the super eagles. We must look at revenue in its broadest terms. Nigeria has for years exported thousands of male football players abroad whom are not only bread winners for their families but have been ambassadors like emanalor of chelsea, ikoku of ESPN, the Olympic gold just to name a few. Super eagles put Nigeria on world stage more than our oil revenue has done. When the eagles play most bars and hotels in Nigeria are fully booked and make their most profit. A lot more money is put into the economy. So we must not think of revenue in the narrowest of terns. How many of you here bothered subscribing to sling TV during the just concluded women’s World Cup vs during the Afcon. It is just a fact of life. Our men’s national team is the reason thousands of football academies all over Nigeria are seeing success exporting players. We have couple of rag to millionaires who are now injecting into the local economy. That’s how you must look at revenue generation right this moment. Perhaps there may come a time when women football would yield same result but until that time comes we have what we have
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Once again, when major firms start pumping money into the women game, then they can lavish the women with 300k a week salary....

I don't see where yall want the money to.come from..fact men will always generate more when it comes to competitive sports. Nature cannot be rewritten. We aren't equal physically. That's why sports are gender based. They aren't the same....Now if it comes to education today and top working professions especially in S.T.E.M, then equal pay is mandatory.

There's a reason why the SA girl or boy has been stopped from competing in women sports
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Once again, when major firms start pumping money into the women game, then they can lavish the women with 300k a week salary....

I don't see were yall want the money to.come from..fact men will always generate more when it comes to competitive sports. Nature cannot be rewritten. We aren't equal physically. That's why sports are gender based. They aren't the same....Now if it comes to education today and top working professions especially in S.T.E.M, then equal pay is mandatory.

There's a reason why the SA girl or boy has been stopped from competing in women sports
Hmmm....
Very intelligent analysis. :thumb:
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

jette1 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:The argument is not as simple as most people are making here. First of all, whether it his about equal pay or equity in pay, there is a point to be made for the Falcons. Here are some points to think about:

1. This is not about what players get at their clubs. This is strictly about NATIONAL SERVICE and fair compensation for that service.

2. Wow, if this is indeed based one revenue as most of you have argued then that is NEWS not just to me but should be for all of us. The last time I checked the NFF was receiving money to run its programs from government subventions and NOT revenue generated by the Super Eagles! Now tell me again why Super Eagles should get more cut out of this GOVERNMENT SUBVENTION than their women colleagues who have done more by actually winning trophies?

3. How much television money or gate fees do the Eagles bring in deserving of the huge gap in pay between the Eagles and Falcons?

4. Many of you here have lambasted about mediocrity associated with bronze winning etc. :rotf: :rotf: Now, you have Falcons who have consistently dominated Africa as opposed to Super Eagles who have not. Is there no compensation for that difference? Remember it is about performance versus the so-called mediocrity.

5. While you may argue that Super Eagles' part-share should be based on a proportion of funds generated from FIFA and CAF, are the Falcons getting the same proportion from such funds?

6. While pay has been put up here by Oparanozie, it has been clear for years that the women team has been poorly treated for years in many areas when compared to the Super Eagles. Think about accommodation, think about transportation, etc.

The bottomline is that I will not dismiss Damunk's views by a simple waive of hand. There is certainly inequity, if not unequal treatment, that has been going around.
But be sure your thinking is not clouded when talking of Revenue in relation the super eagles. We must look at revenue in its broadest terms. Nigeria has for years exported thousands of male football players abroad whom are not only bread winners for their families but have been ambassadors like emanalor of chelsea, ikoku of ESPN, the Olympic gold just to name a few. Super eagles put Nigeria on world stage more than our oil revenue has done. When the eagles play most bars and hotels in Nigeria are fully booked and make their most profit. A lot more money is put into the economy. So we must not think of revenue in the narrowest of terns. How many of you here bothered subscribing to sling TV during the just concluded women’s World Cup vs during the Afcon. It is just a fact of life. Our men’s national team is the reason thousands of football academies all over Nigeria are seeing success exporting players. We have couple of rag to millionaires who are now injecting into the local economy. That’s how you must look at revenue generation right this moment. Perhaps there may come a time when women football would yield same result but until that time comes we have what we have
Jette1,

The revenue you talk about does not go to the coffers of the payer. Remember that most of you have argued that the payer pays based on revenue received. Should you now argue that the NFF should pay based on what the bar owner in Ajegunle brings in? Or can NFF capture the revenue that 1naija's favorite bar owner gets when he drinks five heinekens in a Houston bar while watching Nigeria v Algeria? Nope. NFF, by the arguments here, pay out based on what revenue it captures or the subventions that it receives. Therefore the revenue that matters is the one that goes into the NFF coffers. It is that revenue that matters.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote:
jette1 wrote:

Jette1,

The revenue you talk about does not go to the coffers of the payer. Remember that most of you have argued that the payer pays based on revenue received. Should you now argue that the NFF should pay based on what the bar owner in Ajegunle brings in? Or can NFF capture the revenue that 1naija's favorite bar owner gets when he drinks five heinekens in a Houston bar while watching Nigeria v Algeria? Nope. NFF, by the arguments here, pay out based on what revenue it captures or the subventions that it receives. Therefore the revenue that matters is the one that goes into the NFF coffers. It is that revenue that matters.
As much as I’m not confining revenue derivation to Just that collected directly by the government don’t lose sight of the fact that the more money your Ajegunle bar owner makes the higher tax revenue he Let’s the govt have but that is hardly my point. My point is that the super eagles already generate indirect revenues on various facets of the economy much more than what the super falcons would ever do.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I think the Falcons should get pay in the same proportion as the men based on FIFA revenue. But I won't condemn them for asking for equal pay.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

jette1 wrote:I like the falcons but until their performance improves they dont deserve anything more than they currently make
She isn't technically advocating for more money, but equal pay.

That said, just like with tennis which they got wrong, there's a nuance behind it. My opinion, as is with my opinion regarding the USWNT, is that they should earn equal pay rate (same scale percentage wise) but actual payment amount should be commensurate with earnings, not performance.

While I supported women getting equal winnings in tennis, I felt and still feel they should be made to play best of five sets like the men do.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

So what's the limitations towards equal pay in football? Should Chelsea,Manchester, Barca etc all pay every player they have in their books the same salaries? The likes of Messi generates more revenue for Barca than pique etc....Now let's move on to the women game.They don't even have equal pay .....Even the female world champs. the likes of Morgan makes more money than her peers because she's one of the best.....football will never have equal pay. Be it Male or female
SuperEagles

Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

We are talking about Nigeria a country that is still decades behind in terms of women's rights and the government still funds our national teams and the clubs are owned by governors,who's going to listen?
Did the government even get our girls back of Boko Haram?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

jette1 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
jette1 wrote:

Jette1,

As much as I’m not confining revenue derivation to Just that collected directly by the government don’t lose sight of the fact that the more money your Ajegunle bar owner makes the higher tax revenue he Let’s the govt have but that is hardly my point. My point is that the super eagles already generate indirect revenues on various facets of the economy much more than what the super falcons would ever do.
Jette1

The point is the Ajegunle or Houston bar owner revenue should not count. Now, to be serious, the super eagles generate more revenue than falcons. No one would deny that. However, the issue is how much of that revenue really goes into the calculation for bonuses? Then how much of the government subvention to football go into bonuses?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Eaglezbeak wrote:We are talking about Nigeria a country that is still decades behind in terms of women's rights and the government still funds our national teams and the clubs are owned by governors,who's going to listen?
Women's right or not, Oparanosey is talking sha!7.

Until they, the female team start commanding the same interest, in gate receipts and investment inflows as the male teams, there's not going to be an equal pay.

It's like introducing equal pay in European club football for both men and women without considering the economics behind the two sexes.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg

Post by jungle-jawara »

jette1 wrote:I like the falcons but until their performance improves they dont deserve anything more than they currently make
KPOM!!!!

If you were performing, even if you ask for more I will support, but all you have done is stay stagnant for decades. In short I don't know which is better, pay you peanuts or disband the team completely.
Everybody dey talk.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

osita wrote:

This is 2019.

No bro, Damunk is actually right.

The NFF doesn't pay teams based on a percentage of revenue generated. They are paid a flat (arbitrary) fee. The Naijarian Female football team is still the Naijarian football team. They should be paid whatever arbitrary fee the football federation has decided to pay people representing Naijaria.

I think the way to go with this is for the footballers, both male and female to negotiate a fee footballers should be paid regardless of gender. But in a country where no one gives a $#% about the other person, good luck.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
osita wrote:

This is 2019.

The NFF doesn't pay teams based on a percentage of revenue generated. They are paid a flat (arbitrary) fee. The Naijarian Female football team is still the Naijarian football team. They should be paid whatever arbitrary fee the football federation has decided to pay people representing Naijaria.

I think the way to go with this is for the footballers, both male and female to negotiate a fee footballers should be paid regardless of gender. But in a country where no one gives a $#% about the other person, good luck.
KPOM.

I think people look at Euro clubs and events and assume that same is applicable in Nigeria. Context matters.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

pajimoh wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:We are talking about Nigeria a country that is still decades behind in terms of women's rights and the government still funds our national teams and the clubs are owned by governors,who's going to listen?
Women's right or not, Oparanosey is talking sha!7.

Until they, the female team start commanding the same interest, in gate receipts and investment inflows as the male teams, there's not going to be an equal pay.

It's like introducing equal pay in European club football for both men and women without considering the economics behind the two sexes.
Agreed.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Cellular wrote:
osita wrote:

This is 2019.

So what happens to the money FIFA sends them for participating in the world cup?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Look who the messenger is!
Oparanozie of all people.
Oparanozie that has not improved her football for years should not be a messenger.
Oparanozie that plays crap should not be a messenger.
That does not help, even if help is needed.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Oguleftie wrote:Look who the messenger is!
Oparanozie of all people.
Oparanozie that has not improved her football for years should not be a messenger.
Oparanozie that plays crap should not be a messenger.
That does not help, even if help is needed.
Rubbish.
Even if she is retired, she is more than qualified to make the case.
She has captained the NATIONAL FEMALE TEAM and has reached the peak of her chosen career.
She didn't bribe or sleep her way to the top and we have all seen her career progression from a young age.

As fickle fans we can insult them without consequence but they have earned the right to agitate for better conditions of service.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Enugu II,

My take is :
The SEagles & SFalcons are not strictly on a National Service...(their remuneration/compensation explodes that myth; as it is astronomically above the national pay-structure, and consequently anomalous)

There have been exhaustive debates about rewards accorded to sports people by their respective govts...rewards deemed indefensible by critics who argue the fairness of e.g rewarding each squad member of the England soccer team £650,000 each if they won the FIFA World Cup 2014 in Brazil; compared to the total-pay package awarded a British soldier for winning a war...

It is sport.
The rewards/remuneration are loosely based on perceived value, so any debate about parity of any kind is difficult.

Until women soccer develops to the level where its perceived value equals the men's game, parity of remuneration between both genders will not happen.

The US Women team may have a point, because in the context of the development of the game in US, US women are not that far behind the men (there is a credible case that the cultural appreciation of the game in the US leans more to the female - the soccer-mom phenomenom)
So within the US environment, the perceived value of the game might be at par for both genders...

Is the same noise about parity being made by US Female basketballers..?

Measuring the SFalcons phenomenal success against the SEagles is crazy.
The current level of the women's game in Africa means 100 AWCON titles have less perceived value than 1 AFCON title.
With the current trajectory of the women's game this shall surely change in time...

The perceived value associated with the men's game in Nigeria (and Africa) is way above that for the women's game, so any talk of parity is premature.

Desire Oparanozie is merely 'fishing'... :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

theYemster wrote:
Cellular wrote:
osita wrote:

This is 2019.

So what happens to the money FIFA sends them for participating in the world cup?
gbosa , i was about to ask him that..fact the SE players are paid more because they generate more income and prize money,, they just got almost $2M for finishing 3rd at the AFCON... They also got loads of money WC2018... The women game cannot generate such today... why should the NFF pay the SE players and the Falcons the same money? The only way that can happen is they share the prize money from the FIFA, CAF , and all the private sectors sponsoring them.... what sort of business will succeed by dashing money to women because of gender when they cannot match the same interest?

Lets get real for once
SuperEagles