Iwobi reportedly spoke with Billing about representing Naija

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Iwobi reportedly spoke with Billing about representing Naija

Post by iworo »

Alex Iwobi reportedly spoke with Cherries star Philip Billing about representing Nigeria
By Dan Rose

Bournemouth's Philip Billing reportedly revealed how he had been asked about representing Nigeria at international level, following a conversation with Everton star Alex Iwobi.

The 23-year-old told Danish publication BT how the former Arsenal man had spoken to him about switching allegiances.

Billing, who is of Nigerian descent, has been a key member of Cherries’ squad this season having agreed a £15million summer move from Huddersfield.

He played 90 minutes against Iwobi during the Dorset club’s 3-1 victory over the Toffees last month.

The midfielder has represented Denmark at under-19 and under-21 level but has yet to win a senior cap for the nation.

He could confirm his international future with the Danes if he features in tomorrow’s Euro 2020 qualifier against Switzerland in Copenhagen (5pm).

In quotes translated from BT, Billing said: “It wasn't until when we (Cherries) were going to play against Everton a couple of weeks ago when Alex Iwobi asked if I might be interested in coming and playing for Nigeria.

"He said the coach had asked me. It was the first time I heard anything concrete myself.”

He added: "It's a pat on the back that another country would like you to play for them. I just take that as a shrug and proof that you are doing well.

“It would feel strange to have to play for Nigeria, even though my father is from there.

“I am half Nigerian and I feel that way too but I was born and raised in Denmark. My mother is Danish and my sister is Danish, so it would feel strange to have to play for Nigeria.”

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport ... g-nigeria/
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Iwobi reportedly spoke with Billing about representing N

Post by maceo4 »

We shouldn't be making these bobo's feel strange...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:We shouldn't be making these bobo's feel strange...
Strange how?
If he feels 'strange' about his roots then he has a problem and somebody didn't do their responsibility.
Not in 2019 should any rounded individual feel 'odd' about their Nigerian blood.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Damunk wrote:
Strange how?
If he feels 'strange' about his roots then he has a problem and somebody didn't do their responsibility.
Not in 2019 should any rounded individual feel 'odd' about their Nigerian blood.
He feels it would be strange to play for Nigeria given his upbringing, which is normal he didn't grow up there. Nothing more to see here.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The boy is honest :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kalani JR wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Strange how?
He feels it would be strange to play for Nigeria given his upbringing, which is normal he didn't grow up there. Nothing more to see here.
That's exactly what I'm politely referring to. :idea:
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

kalani JR wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Strange how?
normal is relative; and feeling strange evokes from within. it is something already inside you being kindled. To make matter simple it is a social construct. ask yourself why does he feel strange when Balogun doesnt/ you got it?
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

jette1 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Strange how?
normal is relative; and feeling strange evokes from within. it is something already inside you being kindled. To make matter simple it is a social construct. ask yourself why does he feel strange when Balogun doesnt/ you got it?
Wasn't Balogun also skeptical until Patrick convinced him? Also Billing is in the national pool for the Danish national team, Balogun was never in contention for the German team at any level.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kalani JR wrote:
jette1 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Strange how?
Wasn't Balogun also skeptical until Patrick convinced him? Also Billing is in the national pool for the Danish national team, Balogun was never in contention for the German team at any level.
I think feeling 'strange' is regardless prospects.
Its about identity.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
jette1 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Strange how?
Its about identity.
He doesn’t identify himself as a Nigerian he’s just Nigerian by technicality, let’s leave these kind of people alone, at least he’s being honest. Don’t want any Kevin Prince Boatengs...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
jette1 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Strange how?
Its about identity.
He doesn’t identify himself as a Nigerian he’s just Nigerian by technicality, let’s leave these kind of people alone, at least he’s being honest. Don’t want any Kevin Prince Boatengs...
Yup. This is one of those cases where they clearly can't identify, for whatever reason.
A bit like Ibe.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

All these "Hey yous" wey una dey chase sef... Da eff is dis one biko? Sotey an offer to play for nigeria is something you take with a "shrug" :rotf:

Anyway, nah Naija put dem self in a position to be insulted.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
jette1 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Strange how?
Its about identity.
He is a decent young man. If he decided to play fir Nigeria he would have given it his all. He is no Kevin Prince Boateng. I wish him the best with Denmark.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

iworo wrote:
“It would feel strange to have to play for Nigeria, even though my father is from there.

“I am half Nigerian and I feel that way too but I was born and raised in Denmark. My mother is Danish and my sister is Danish, so it would feel strange to have to play for Nigeria.”

Seriously though, I think we need to ask the serious question-- Who are these fooking men?!!! what kind of Nigerian raises a child who thinks little of Nigeria? Is it that they didnt have the chance or resources to take their kids to Nigeria to visit regularly? Or where these men just useless fathers and the children shifted the hatred they had for their father to Nigeria? or was it that these men went "oversee" and due to their unhappiness at Nigeria, tried to rid any remembrance of Nigeria from their home?

You see the likes of Dele Alli, Abraham and this nonsense rubbish bournmouth crap, and you wonder what type of fathers they have.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

iworo wrote:[
"He said the coach had asked me. It was the first time I heard anything concrete myself.”

He added: "It's a pat on the back that another country would like you to play for them. I just take that as a shrug and proof that you are doing well.

Kaii! WHat an amateur that **** is. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: We truly have suffered.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

danfo driver wrote:
iworo wrote:[

Kaii! WHat an amateur that **** is. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: We truly have suffered.
blame it on his father; he failed to emotionally acculturate him to his African roots. my boys were born in Texas and add to that we travelled the world residing mostly at military bases hence you would think such dynamics makes them susceptible to not latch on to any specific cultural identity even though the military is in itself a subculture but no they were already crazy and fighting over who would be Nigeria on FIFA 94 before they even know the location of Nigeria on the map. Emotions are more often non verbally transmitted to your offspring.
than by design
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

danfo driver wrote:
iworo wrote:

Seriously though, I think we need to ask the serious question-- Who are these fooking men?!!! what kind of Nigerian raises a child who thinks little of Nigeria? Is it that they didnt have the chance or resources to take their kids to Nigeria to visit regularly? Or where these men just useless fathers and the children shifted the hatred they had for their father to Nigeria? or was it that these men went "oversee" and due to their unhappiness at Nigeria, tried to rid any remembrance of Nigeria from their home?

You see the likes of Dele Alli, Abraham and this nonsense rubbish bournmouth crap, and you wonder what type of fathers they have.
No, you should ask yourself a serious question. Why should any reasonable human being feel obligated to identify with Nigeria? What is the meaning of Nigeria? If I didn't grow up in that shitehole, what'ld make me proud to be identified with such a place. Must every parent force their child to represent something that is completely strange to them even if they are proud of their own particular culture or have visited their own village several times? :roll:
Last edited by achuzia-the-air-raid on Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

danfo driver wrote:
iworo wrote:

Isn't Dele's dad a member of this website? And kids are independent man, you can tell them how great Nigeria is and how much you love the Super Eagles and green-white-green, then they'll ask you "so why don't you live there", and then you'll be lost for words.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

danfo driver wrote:
iworo wrote:

A whole discussion in itself, but it is well known that many parents are like that.
They transfer their frustrations and bitterness to their children and do their best to disconnect their kids from the motherland. Some of those frustrations arise from their own inadequacies but they blame the "useless country" anyway.

And then they get very old and very lonely and realise the white man's land is no place for an old black African.
But its kinda late...
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Damunk wrote:A whole discussion in itself, but it is well known that many parents are like that.
They transfer their frustrations and bitterness to their children and do their best to disconnect their kids from the motherland. Some of those frustrations arise from their own inadequacies but they blame the "useless country" anyway.

And then they get very old and very lonely and realise the white man's land is no place for an old black African.
But its kinda late...
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Owe you a proper tipple one of these fine days...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Gotti wrote:
Damunk wrote:A whole discussion in itself, but it is well known that many parents are like that.

But its kinda late...
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Owe you a proper tipple one of these fine days...
I beg to differ, "transfer their frustrations and bitterness to their children and do their best to disconnect their kids from the motherland". This is too much of a generalisation. The parents safeguard their kids by telling them as it is not sugar coating danger and trying to be nice about something they know has never worked correctly from day one. Of course no country is perfect but some are more perfect than others. Since when have you heard about players and coaches being owed money? Is it happening today?

Call a spade a spade and let those who still believe and want to fix it have a go. you can not fill a bucket with water while your fellow man is drilling a role from the other end.

Old and lonely can happen to anyone and it isn't down to any individuals doing , again you generalise. Come on doctor you are way better than this.

Most of the criticism of Nigeria is genuine. Now try selling that image to investors and stakeholders. See how far you get with that and good luck!!!
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Damunk wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
iworo wrote:

A whole discussion in itself, but it is well known that many parents are like that.

But its kinda late...
You paint it as a hatred but it's more of a general disinterest.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

danfo driver wrote:
iworo wrote:

Most of the time these boys live with there European mothers and see dad when he visits or saw him when he used to visit as for Alli he feel out with both parents and probably felt comfortable in the Uk!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI