Westerhoff sold 94 game v Italy for $100k - Bonfrere

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Westerhoff sold 94 game v Italy for $100k - Bonfrere

Post by deanotito »

Damunk wrote:Okay. This is specially for Danfo Driver, Oloye and Chief Ogwunigwe.

A 4-minute clip of the game.
- Amunike's goal
- Zola's sending off
- Maldini's foul on Yekini.

STOP THE VIDEO AT 1:30 (immediately after the foul on Yekini) if you don't want to see more, but you can get all the above in the first minute and a half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9FiNNnG22I[/video]

VIEWER'S DISCRETION ADVISED AFTER 1:30. :!: :!: :!:
Yeah, the foul on Yekini was most definitely a RED. I don’t care if the ref had given a red before. That was too blatant to ignore
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Also, I don’t know if people really notice that it was the great Paolo Maldini that pulled that anywhere bele face clearance (if we can call it that) that gifted Amunike the first goal.

Sometimes I think we’re harsh on our players when they make mistakes but ignore the mistakes of other world class players. I don’t think most Nigerian defenders would survive such a blunder
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
otite
Egg
Egg

Post by otite »

ojafranpa wrote:
otite wrote:I did not eat or drank anything for two weeks after this game.
Na lie.
I’m saying the truth. I have a witness.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Damunk wrote:Okay. This is specially for Danfo Driver, Oloye and Chief Ogwunigwe.

- Amunike's goal
- Zola's sending off

STOP THE VIDEO AT 1:30 (immediately after the foul on Yekini) if you don't want to see more, but you can get all the above in the first minute and a half.

Thanks, stopped at 1:30. I have changed my mind on the Maldini red....#4 appeared to have recovered enough to be the next "last man" had Yekini gone past Maldini
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

- Amunike's goal
- Zola's sending off

Thanks, stopped at 1:30. I have changed my mind on the Maldini red....#4 appeared to have recovered enough to be the next "last man" had Yekini gone past Maldini
A bit of history on Italian's penchant for cynical fouling:
Eusébio put Benfica ahead after 18 minutes. José Altafini levelled 13 minutes after the break. A minute after that came the decisive moment. Coluna intercepted a Pivatelli pass inside his own half and advanced. Space was opening up. If he’d been able to play the pass, Benfica would have been three on two. But he wasn’t allowed to. Pivatelli closed in, clipped his back leg and brought him down. The attack was thwarted, but worse than that, Coluna had broken a bone in his foot and was forced off. In the days before substitutes it was a decisive blow. Coluna did hobble back on with 10 minutes remaining but it was a gesture, no more. Altafini had added his second 11 minutes after his first, and Milan won 2-1.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... ilan-sides
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
olu wrote:A strange game indeed. Zola probably should have gotten a yellow for his retaliatory foul on Eguavoen. However, Maldini should have been sent off for pulling back Yekini when he was the last man to goal. The ref probably didn't send off Maldini because he was probably trying to make up for harshly sending off Zola.

Westerhof made some very conservative subs. With Amunike and Amokachi having to exit the game due to injuries it may have been better to bring in at least one attacker to partner Yekini upfront since Italy was a man down. Siasia or Ikpeba would have been better alternatives to bring in rather than holding midfielders like Oliha and Adepoju.
For real. Watching the game as a whole, the Nigerian team looks strangely very subdued and tactical. Like they are being restrained. The (poor quality) long balls from the back that nobody bothers to run onto. Finidi restrained from foraying down the wing. Italy bossed the game and played much better IMO.
This was my memory of the game even as a kid. We got an early goal, got lucky when Italy went a man down, got robbed when Yekini was pulled down, got Amuneke and Amokachi litterally kicked out of the game, we were useless the rest of the game and barely hanging on but we were this close to pulling through. Roberto Baggio happened and messed everything up
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

otite wrote:
ojafranpa wrote:
otite wrote:I did not eat or drank anything for two weeks after this game.
Na lie.
I’m saying the truth. I have a witness.
Dude! Its impossible. If you dont eat or drink for 2 weeks, you'll be dead. And if you survive past 1 week sef, your organs will be irreparably damaged, your tongue will become dry to the extent of tasting like sand and your teeth may actually begin to fall off. And it you got bit by a mosquito or got attacked by any minor insect, your body will cave like a loose woman in heat! There will be zero resistance.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

- Amunike's goal
- Zola's sending off

No way! That defender only 'caught up' after Maldini had finally pulled Yekini to the ground. The foul started a second or two earlier when he was wrestling with Yekini's right arm.
Yekini was about to leave them BOTH for dead and the no4 was never gonna catch him.
Watch again....slowly.

Or see my graphics below.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Italy were street wise (as they always are) and we were (dare I say it) naïve.

Defensively in that tournament, we were woeful.

No one took any money, we met a more complete team.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

1. Yekini, already with the momentum, pushes the ball past a static Maldini
2nd defender has a greater distance to cover being both behind and on the flank

2. Yekini powers past Maldini who begins to grapple.
2nd defender gains a few feet but is still out of the game

3. Yekini has left both defenders for dead despite being wrestled back desperately.
Notice that 2nd defender is closer to Yekini but still no closer to the ball

4. Maldini brings Yekini to his knees.
2nd defender still out of the game at this point and behind Yekini.

5. Man down. Ball retrieved.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

The maldini foul was a pure red. We also got away with a couple of fouls in the box that could have been penalties. It was actually a pretty decent game. we were incredibly sloppy with the ball, and first touch was often very heavy all around. The Italians had a game plan to attack Egu, and they did it time and time again.

Our game plan appeared to be to cede the middle and hit cross field passes for the wingers to run on, but we mishit too many passes and Yekini cut a lonely figure up front. They pressed the heck out of us in the middle each time we had the ball and we only got a bit more control in the middle after Oliha came in. Also, the decision to have Oliseh follow Baggio all over the place also put more pressure on the other midfielder.

For all the grief Oliseh gets for that last clearance right before the equalizer, i think he had a great game, and cant faul't him for the clearance, every single defender at one point booted the ball to row z after we recovered it. Yekini really should have buried that sublime thru ball from Oliha in extra time, and the square ball from Emenalo after Italy went ahead.

Im glad i have finally watched the game again, love these classic games on youtube :clap: :clap:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16