The Problem with Nigerian Football, By Onigbinde

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

"Some of those running football here probably did not know that FIFA has its statutes, not to talk of them knowing its content. I am not happy about these things and I believe we will be able to do something to get everything right for progress. Let everyone forget about personal ego or pride. Let us move this nation forward in football. We have the potentials but we are destroying it."

"People will come and say I talk too much. But I have a problem. If there is a problem with Nigerian football today, the FA chairman, the minister or any other person for that matter can claim ignorance, but can I? Do I tell Blatter or Hayatou I do not know? If things happen wrongly and I keep quiet, these same people will be asking that Chief is there, why is this happening in Nigeria. People ask me that question at international level."

Chief Adegboye Onigbinge has seen it all in Nigerian football, having been on the scene for more than two decades. He has served the country as the senior national team coach (twice), and technical director, apart from being a member of the FIFA technical committee, charged with assessing performances and standard of the world soccer ruling body's competitions.

Until late last year, he was the general manager of Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC), his pet club, which he was forced to leave by reasons other than performance of the team.

In this interview with OLAWUNMI OJO, the Modakeke high chief reflects on Nigerian football and the way forward.

Recent changes at the NFA
The changes, as of now, are in order; as they are in conformity with FIFA regulations. That, however, is not what is important, but the use we make of the changes. This is because we have had different people at various times at the helm of our football administration who had their ideas and were determined to succeed. However, it appears there is a kind of environment that militates against good performance in terms of administration and technical aspect of our football. And these basically are societal problems.

When you introduce sentiments-tribal, religious, ethnic, political and so on, into any area of sports administration, there is bound to be problem. These would arise from the fact that at the end of the day because of all these considerations, you may not have the right kind of people in terms of knowledge, experience, and exposure at the helm of affairs. When such problems start building up, it sometimes become uncontrollable, and a sure way of making falsehood look like the truth is by repeating it often and often.

However, I am yet to see how Nigerians can do things without sentiments. has eaten deep into the fabrics of our day-to-day activities and functions in this country. It is not peculiar to football or sports; it is widespread in almost all aspects of our lives.

Arresting the ugly trend
For now in this country, we operate more on who is and not what is right. If we can change this, concentrate more on what is right rather that who is right, probably one can be thinking of a change for the better.

For instance, when I come out to say that certain things must be done, I never have it in mind that I should be asked to come and do it. But put whoever has the knowledge and experience to do the right thing there irrespective of where he comes from.

The use of zonal system in doing things as done in politics should be discouraged. Take for instance, it is the turn of a zone to produce the candidate for an office. Such candidate might be the best available at the level of that zone but might not be as good as what obtains in other zones; meaning that the best persons are not allowed to get there simply because of zoning.

This indicates that Nigeria is not yet a country. There are several nations that must be satisfied, and in the process, quality will suffer. With due respect to all sections of this country, it only means that we have not matured into an entity.

Criteria for choosing those to administer the FA
It should basically be qualification. Not just paper qualification; exposure, character, ability are all what should be considered. Procedure should also be strictly followed. This is one reason why there were complaints about the eligibility of certain persons occupying some positions, especially as it is in civil service. They made initial mistake asking them to act for persons who were on higher grade levels, but when the civil service procedures were applied, they had to say they are to oversee and hold briefs for those who have gone on forced leave.

Technical development football in Nigeria and responsibilities of the technical department
We assume we have a technical department wehich is supposed to be the nerve centre of the football association, it is supposed to be the heart of the whole thing. Unfortunately, that department is being looked down upon. The Secretary-General, the Chairman and all other board members are there to service the products of the technical department because football is a technical matter. We have not been seeing things this way and that is why our football is not developing.

For instance, when I took over the national team in preparation for the world cup, we played series of friendly matches and we did beautifully well. Then I asked the Secretary-General, 'if we had lost all these matches, would you still be in office?' People would have cried for the dissolution of the FA as a result of lapses from the technical department. That is to prove that they all are there to worship the technical department, which should be the hub of all activities.

We have been running a one-man technical department for quite long, when in actual fact the department should have its full staff spread across the country and not just in the NFA office. You want to take football to the grassroots, and then there should be some restructuring, because the man in Abuja will not go to the suburb to preach football.

Look at our age group teams, how do we select them now. Do we have age-groups competitions from which we select players? They are just handpicked and in this situation, you cannot have the best. There is no structural procedure being followed. The same thing affects development. Most of these boys started football on their own unguided and by the time they get into the hands of experienced coaches; they had formed some habits, which cannot be changed. There are a number of prominent Nigerian players who went through me but who I found difficult to change because they had formed their habit before they came into my hands. So I had to play tricks, joggle here and there to get what I want from them. But even then, it is not going to come easy because those things are supposed to have become automated in their system. That is the real heart of our inconsistent results.

What to be done with the technical department, in view of the recent reforms
They should revamp the department. Get people who actually know their onions to be at the technical department. For instance, at the time I was pretending to be the Head of Technical Department for a couple of months, I had my programmes. The technical head must have a deputy at the centre. Then break the country into zones and appoint a technical co-ordinator for each zone. These co-ordinators will now come to Abuja, sit with the head and his deputy, fashion out what they believe Nigerian football should look like based on our cultural, religious, physiological, social and all forms of background. Then we will fashion out something that is going to be Nigerian such that when you see it on television, without being told, you will know this is Nigerian pattern. Just like we know Samba football with Brazil.

How do you do this? These people come to Abuja, get the formula out, go back to there respective zones, call the chief coaches of the state in their zones and pass the message on. The chief coaches will then return to their states, pass the message down to game masters and club coaches.

Then, we still do not know the difference between developing and promoting football. This itself is also a problem. When you organise or take part in competitions, you are promoting football. But to develop, you have to develop the players, coaches, referees, administrators, medical personnel and other related staff. Update their knowledge and improve these people, that is development.

Competitions would only then come in to assess the level of development so far made. For instance, in schools, why do you set examinations? Of course, to test the level of attainment. If a teacher comes newly to a class and starts with a test, he might be taken to have a mental problem. You have not put in anything, what are you testing? That is what we are doing with our football. No input and we are expecting results. You ask the boys to go into a competition, when you have not put anything into them.

In the area of sports development, competitions are by-products. And that is where the technical department becomes very important.

Of recent, certain efforts were made to take football to grassroot. Such things as going to schools and organising the Shell cup. That is not the first step. If you ask the age group of my mother to play football, one side will win, you clap and everybody goes away. But, what will be the standard? These school boys you are asking to play, have you trained their coaches to teach them the right thing. Have you trained their games masters to teach them the right thing? So what is the competition for? Is it for the boys to just come and show their stuffs without any finesse, you are wasting time and money.

Let me give you an example. When I went to Trinidad and Tobago, I was to train their U-17 2001 World Cup team. I went in 1998 when the boys who would qualify for that competition were U-14. I gave the FA a 4-year programme broken into segments and told them that for the first year they should not ask me for a match. And they did not. Even if they did, I would have refused.

The Press came out to accuse me of not building a team and I told them I was still building the players and not a team yet. Exactly 13 months after I started, I had less than 24 hours notice for a match with a champion side. That was my very first match and we beat that team by 14 goals to nothing. Some other teams came but they also fell like packs of card. Then I stopped playing these boys who were just U-15 then, against their age groups. I moved up, playing them against U-17, and we were winning.

That is the difference. Competitions should come after you have prepared because it is supposed to test the level of input. But that is not the case in Nigeria. The boys who went to Cotonou, how did we select them. Who knew how they started football? Those that went to Turkey for Meridien Cup too, you can see what happened.

In terms of administration, it is even the duty of the technical department to develop the administrators themselves. That is why at CAF level, you have courses and seminars for everyone involved with the game. Such should also happen here.

Look at the recent NFA reforms. Why did we have to wait for FIFA to clamp down on us before we do the right thing? Because of inadequate administrative experience.

Some of those running football here probably did not know that FIFA has its statutes, not to talk of them knowing its content. Right now, we still have some problems. We have the League Board which tends to feel they are independent of the NFA. They cannot be. They are part of the FA, in fact, they cannot go to FIFA but through the FA. All their programmes must even be approved by the FA. I have a copy of the statutes, that is what is written there. This is what also obtains in the English premier league.

I am not happy about these things and I believe we will be able to do something to get everything right for progress. Let everyone forget about personal ego or pride. Let us move this nation forward in football. We have the potentials but we are destroying it.

People will come and say I talk too much. But if there is a problem with Nigerian football today, the FA chairman, the minister or any other person for that matter can claim ignorance, but can I? Do I tell Blatter or Hayatou I do not know? If things happen wrongly and I keep quiet, these same people will be asking that 'Chief is there, why is this happening in Nigeria.' People ask me that question at international level.

I would not have been interested in talking to the media if people in position are ready to listen to what you want to say. To some of them, the mention of one's name is anathema because certain people who are also interested in power have poisoned their mind thus creating a gap between one and those in authority simply because they want to fill that vacuum. They know if you are there, you will say the truth and that would prevent them from peddling their lines.

For how long have I been talking about Decree 101? We were at an NFA seminar last year where I emphasized the matter. Then, if some people had the opportunity, they would have beaten me up. But where are we today.

Payment of referees' indemnities by NFL as means of checking poor officiating
Out of anxiety and concern, they are coming up with various forms of ideas. But the question: If the NFL pay this money, does it stop the clubs from giving them money. It has to be a sort of re-orientation of the mind. That is what will solve the problem. It is like the words of John F. Kennedy. 'Don't ask what your country will do for you but what you will do for it.' Do we have that mentality around here? It amazes me when people start criticising the government forgetting the things they do in their homes and offices that the government cannot correct. Besides, who elected these people anyway and what are the value judgements for electing known corrupt people into key positions?
Making the league lucrative
We have tried to run before we could crawl, and we are suffering the effect. How many football clubs are in this country. Not one, all of them are football teams.

In other words, how many are been run as clubs, where are the club houses, who are the members of board of the clubs, how often do they meet, how do they take decisions and so on. A situation where the government of a state appoints people into the board of club does not make such a club. It is the people interested in clubs that should come together to put people into positions.

There are inconsistencies. For political reasons, you change coaches anyhow. In 1990, when the professional league was established, I was a member of the pioneer board. We set out certain conditions which clubs must meet within a specific period of time, but we have abandoned all those things. Some of the conditions are that each club should be registered, must have their stadium and so on. But, how many has been able to keep to that, non. One major reason for that is because people feel professional clubs must be spread over the country whether they are ready for it or not.

Look at what happened as regards promotion and demotion last season. Usually, before the start of every season, the AGM decides how may clubs to be relegated and promoted. And that stands. But the NFA turned round suddenly to manipulate it because certain sections of the country were affected. I'm not saying we should not encourage every part of the country to develop. But if we try to force a 3-month-old child to start walking, you may damage or even kill the child. Let everybody move at his pace.

Wooing private investors into owning club-sides alongside government.

In 1984, I was in South Korea. That was the year they started their professional league. They started with about four teams that were ready for it. If I were in position to re-organise Nigerian football, maybe I will disband all the league structure and we start all over.

Look at the teams in the English premiership, the money they make in a year may not be enough to pay half of their players. In spite of that, they declare surpluses every year in millions, where do they get the money.

Look at what I wanted to do with Shooting Stars. Throughout the country, you have not less than 1 million people claiming to be supporters of 3SC but they have no proof of identity. Let everyone of them take a card for N1000. In 1 million places, you get N1 billion and there would not be need to go to government again. And those cards which would also be in higher categories (N5, 000, N10, 000) will have to be renewed every year. It is these people who should come together and elect members of the club board.

Some of the big clubs of yester-years should be able to raise such followership that can be organised into real clubs, devoid of dependence on government. This disallows quality from suffering, and football will stop loosing spectatorship. The stands have always been empty because there is no excitement, the games are dull.

Another aspect that should be looked into is marketing. In South Africa, how many clubs are owned by government? You'll probably not find one. I have a copy of the development programme of South African football. Same for Lesotho, Malawi and some other countries. Do we have that here?
Relative poor performance of national teams at international competitions
When I was talking about the Flying Eagles at Cotonou, I was not visualizing our performances against African oppositions but world oppositions. What happened to the Eaglets is also a confirmation of what we are saying.

I am privileged to have traveled across the world and I know what obtains. I get to write Technical reports of quite some International football competitions and I know what is required.

The zonal technical co-ordinators idea muted earlier would also, in the long run, take care of age-cheats in our competition. The kids, while undergoing tutelage, would be made more rounded players.

Spate of recent poor performances of African youth teams in world cup competitions
I can confirm to you that CAF is getting worried about it because I'm in the Technical Committee. That is why CAF is coming out with some programmes. It has approved the establishment of six football academies across Africa and we are trying to build a syllabus for these academies and trying to spread these to the grassroots.

CAF is definitely worried. In 2003 at Helsinki, Finland, all African teams were knocked out in the first round. I was in Dubai, United Arab Emirate for U-20 World Cup and just one or two managed to get into the second round and that was all.

The root of this boils down to non-development of the game. The boys that did Africa proud in the past did not get special coaching. Everything was not money then, it was sheer interest and dedication.

How CAF/FIFA Technical Reports is put into use
It is more of a question of ignorance. CAF and FIFA spends lots of money getting us together to write the reports and they are usually bound into books for acquisition by whoever is interested. They send copies to all the Football Associations but these copies rot away in most situations. The main purpose is for people to look at the report with a view to improving on quality of their games. But the books are dumped and pages of it are even found on the streets, it is pathetic.

Look at Nigeria, when last was a meaningful, effective coaching course conducted in Nigeria. So how can development come when nothing is being put in?
The place of National Institute for Sports (NIS) in all these.

The NIS is not for football alone. It is for all sports. But here you have the Nigerian factor again. The NIS is supposed to sit with the FA to synchronise their programmes so that we will be doing the same thing.

Our programmes should be co-ordinated. But when NFA itself does not have a technical development programme, what then will they synchronise.

Renewed calls for foreign coach
Are we developing our own local coaches? I get sad when people come out to say Nigerian coaches are not knowledgeable and don't have experience. Who is supposed to put the experience into them, it is the administrators. Even the so-called foreign coaches brought into this country, what is their background. They only come in here to cash in on our talents and after they left what have they achieved,
Some people are only interested in bringing these people in. If I come out to tell this country things I have discovered, at times I feel ashamed. Sometime last year, I was in Germany for a FIFA seminar. We were only fourteen all over the world. And two coaches, of the 14, came to tell me how much money Nigerians came to demand from them to get them the job of national team handler. Demanding money, handsets, computer and all lots. I was ashamed. And each time they sight me, they kept pestering me that the only people who can stop Nigeria from developing are Nigerians. There is also an Indian national coach who even mentioned names of persons who approached him in the same light.

Way forward for Nigerian football
Do things the way they should be done. Let us have a virile Technical Department that will infuse discipline, dedication and technical ability into our players, referees and administrators. Let us come out with a definite technical policy that will see our football move forward.

BUSINESS SERVICES
Property
Appointments
Money Watch
Market Report
Capital Market
Business Travels
Maritime Watch
Industry Watch
Energy Report
Insurance
Compulife

© 2003 - 2005 @ Guardian Newspapers Limited (All Rights Reserved).
Powered by dnetsystems.net dnet®
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
cegieu
Egg
Egg

Post by cegieu »

I know very little about Onigbinde, but he seems very logic. Quite interesting round-up of Nigerian football for me.
Could anyone post some info about Onigbinde? When was he the coach of SE, U-17 etc.?
How old is he?
HAWKEYE
Egg
Egg

Post by HAWKEYE »

CEGIEU,

Pa Oni coached Stephen Keshi the present coach of Togo Republic - that should give an insight into his age and work experience.

But why bother yourself, a prophet is never accepted in his own country.

Good for the man, for he earns the respect of those who matter in World Football.
CAPTAIN HAWKINS
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Cegieu:

Pa Oni is around 68 years old.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

cegieu wrote:I know very little about Onigbinde, but he seems very logic. Quite interesting round-up of Nigerian football for me.
Could anyone post some info about Onigbinde? When was he the coach of SE, U-17 etc.?
How old is he?
cegieu, in addition to his FIFA certificate, Onigbinde, or backstabber Onigbinde as he is popularly known, also coached Super Eagles to the worst international outing by any Nigeria team, ever! He also spent the last 3 years at 3SC, his "pet club", where he used boardroom arrangement and violence to get the club promoted from division 2 to the Nigerian Premier league. In fact in one incident during his tenure as 3SC coach, the club supporters beat a FEMALE referee into coma, and only spared her live after she awarded then 3 valuable points that led to their promotion to the NPL.

Depite his superior FIFA rated techincal knowledge, he led 3SC to the following string of atrocious results :

Kwara Utd 3, ... 3SC 1
Dolphin 3, ............ 3SC 1
Plateau 4, ............ 3SC 0
Gabros 2 , ............ 3SC 0
Rangers 2 , .......... 3SC 0
Enyimba 3 , .......... 3SC 1
NPA 4 , ................. 3SC 1
Insurance 4, ......... 3SC 1
Gombe 2, .............. 3SC 0
El kanemi 2, ........... 3SC 0

And when asked about it by the press, he insisted they were good results. Below is a excerpt from an article that we discussed here towards the end of last season, which includes the famous quote "there is a difference between, "poor result and poor performance"

Daily Champion (Lagos)

August 18, 2004
Posted to the web August 18, 2004

Lagos

GENERAL Manager of Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) Chief Adegboye Onigbinde has defended the club's performance this season insisting that they (3SC) have done well.

Onigbinde in a telephone chat with League Rendezvous argued that there is a difference between, "poor result and poor performance." ....
So as you can see my friend, not everything that glitters is gold.

Please be aware that there are some here who do nothing but peddle false propaganda articles that serve their own selfish purpose. So don't take everything you read here on face value. Beware of false prophets.
Last edited by 1naija on Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
SUYA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by SUYA »

1naija ..... Onigbinde, or backstabber Onigbinde as he is popularly known,....u are a wicked Fan ! :P
The above comments are private and not affiliated with supersport in any manner or form
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

cegieu wrote:I know very little about Onigbinde, but he seems very logic. Quite interesting round-up of Nigerian football for me.
How old is he?
Onigbinde: The 38th coach

By Maxwell Odita

Daily Independent
Against the backdrop of public reaction to Nigeria's dismal performance at the recently concluded African Cup of Nations hosted by Mali, the Minister of Sports, Ishaya Aku made public the appointment of Chief Adegboye Onigbinde as the new Chief Coach of the Super Eagles. He replaced compatriot Amodu Shuiabu . This is Onigbinde's second coming. Between late 1982 and mid 1984, the man who was to become technical adviser to the national team of Trinidad and Tobago, held the ace in the Eagles team. It is pertinent to go down memory lane to see how prepared the man will be for the Korea-Japan World cup task. First indigenous Nations Cup Chief Coach Festus Adegboyega Onigbinde was the first indigenous coach of the senior national football team known as the Green Eagles to take the team to the Nations Cup at Ivory Coast '84 before 1990 when the Federal Government re-christened them Super Eagles. All his predecessors were expatriates. Appointed Eagles sweat merchant late in 1982, Onigbinde took over from the Brazilian Coach Otto Gloria. Gloria, it was who led Nigeria to winning its first Nations Cup trophy in 1980 as host. Unfortunately,the Brazilian could not continue the winning streak and had to be eased out. In October 1981, Nigeria was eliminated from the race to Espana'82 by Algeria's Desert Warriors, the same team the Eagles had walloped 18 months earlier to lift the Unity Cup. Gloria's greatest undoing, however, was the elimination of the defending champion, Nigeria in the opening rounds of Libya'82 Nations Cup, a turn of event that belied its pre-tournament rating as favourites. Before Otto Gloria was a Yugoslav reffered to as Father Tiko. Dropped old players, discovered new talents Missing in the roll call of players invited to the Eagles camp by Coach Onigbinde on assumption of office, were hitherto household names as Peter Freghene, Okey Isima, Emmanuel Osigwe, Felix Owolabi, Adegoke Adelabu, David Adiele, Kadiri Ikhana, Tunde Bamidele and Franklin Howard, so-called big names of the Otto Gloria era. Such young and talented players of the disbanded team as defensive midfielder Sylvanus Okpala, central defender Stephen Keshi, midfielder Henry Nwosu, full back Bright Omokaro, goal keeper Peter Rufai, utility player Ademola Adeshina, and right winger Fatai Amao were given the chance of making input into the new team. The list also marked the beginning of the career at the national level of players like Kingsley Paul and Mohammed Ibrahim, both of them remarkably gifted full backs, in the Eagles team for the 1984 edition of the Nations Cup. It is also on record that Onigbinde in his days as Eagles Coach discovered many players who have carved a niche for themselves in the history of Nigerian football. They include such players as midfield ace Ayo Ogunlana (Algiers' 90), right winger Wole Odegbami (Maroc'88), central defender Sunday Eboigbe (Cote d'Ivoire'84 and Maroc'88) and gangling striker, Rashidi Yekini who remains the second highest goals scorer in the Nations Cup annals (second only to mercurial Ivorien striker of the late 60s and early 70s, Laurent Pokou). Interestingly, some of these players did not find their feet when Onigbinde was in the saddle. They owe to him, their initial exposure to soccer at national team level. Onigbinde's team would not be complete without a mention of members of the Under-21 national team, the Flying Eagles who graduated into the Green Eagles in September 1983, after their participation in the Kodak /JVC World Youth Championship. Only three of these players made it into the first eleven of the Eagles, and they were full back Yisa Sofoluwe, support striker Chibuzor Ehilegbu and left winger Humphrey Edobor. The others featured much of the time as substitutes. They included the super-sub midfielder called Bala Ali, Dahiru Sadi and Paul Okoku, goal tender Wilfred Agbonavbare, right winger Tarilla Okorowanta and striker Dehinde Akinlotan Did not rely on foreign-based professionals From the time he assumed office as Eagles coach to when he was seconded to the then IICC (3SC) Shooting Stars of Ibadan for the African Champions Cup campaign, Onigbinde did not solicit the services of any foreign-based professional footballer. The moment one of his players, Sylvanus Okpala left for Portugal to pursue a football career, Onigbinde did not require his services any longer. Okpala was not given the chance to play for fatherland again till 1985 when Onigbinde's successor the late Chris Udemezue invited Nigerian professional players abroad to participate in the World Cup qualifier campaign for Mexico' 86. For the Espana'82 World Cup qualifiers, Onigbinde's predecessor Otto Gloria also enlisted the services of no less that five Nigerian foreign-based professional footballers, and one of them Godwin Odiye played the final match of the 1980 Nations Cup against Algeria. The other Europe-based stars in the 1981 World Cup qualifiers include Andrew Atuegbu, Christian Nwokocha, Tunji Banjo and John Chiedozie. Coach Gloria's predecessor's Tiko did not invite foreign-based players despite the intimidating fame of Justin Fashanu in his own homeland, England and the nostalgia of wonder boy, Thompson Usiyen's departure. Defeated Lions of Teranga (Senegal) home and away When the ECOWAS Cup was conceived in 1983, Cote d'Ivoire was given the hosting right to enable it put to test facilities ahead Nations Cup 1984. The Cup was named after late Ivorien President Felix Houphouet-Boigny who donated the trophy. As it was not an invitational tournament, other West African countries had to participate in a knockout elimination series, out of which three finalists emerged. They were Nigeria, Mali and Togo. Nigeria walked over Ghana in the first round and defeated Senegal (October 1983) in Lagos and Dakar by a lone goal. Ademola Adeshina scored in Lagos, while Chibuzor Ehilegbu scored in Dakar. Nigeria was literally disgraced in the tournament proper: Houpheot Boigny Cup finals (November, 1983) NIGERIA vs TOGO: 2-5; scorers for Nigeria, Ademola Adeshina and Louis Igwilo NIGERIA vs MALI: 4-5 penalties; scorers for Nigeria, Ademola Adeshina, Fatai Yekini, Bala Ali and Stephen Keshi Beat Ghana in Accra, conceded ticket to Morocco In the second round of the qualifiers for the soccer event of the Olympic Games tagged Los Angeles'84, Onigbinde's Eagles made history by defeating Nigeria's arch rivals and African champions the Black Stars 2-1 at the Accra Sports Stadium in October 1983, after a goalless first leg with the Ghanaians in Kaduna. Chibuzor Ehilegbu and substitute John Omoghele scored Nigeria's goals. For the records those that were fielded in the Accra match were Peter Rufai, Kingsley Paul, Yisa Sofoluwe, Louis Igwilo, Stephen Keshi, Tony Edwards, Fatai Yekini, Chibuzor Ehilegbu, Ademola Adeshina, Bala Ali and Humphrey Edobor. Before losing to Ghana in the second round of the Olympic Qualifiers, the Green Eagles defeated Hawks of Togo 3-2 goals aggregate (2-1 in Ibadan, 1-1 in Lome) earlier in July. Ademola Adeshina scored Nigeria's three goals. But Nigeria did not make it to Los Angeles'84. The Eagles lost to Morocco (4-3 penalties after 180 minutes of action in Lagos and Casablanca ended goalless) in February 1984. Chibuzor Ehilegbu, Yisa Sofoluwe and Stephen Keshi scored their penalties, while Clement Temile and Henry Nwosu lost theirs. Enforced discipline in camp Coach Onigbinde maintained discipline in camp, without being harsh. He simply kept to the rules. For instance, when full back Bright Omokaro got himself enmeshed in a feud with players from Enugu Rangers International in the Green Eagles camp, he sent him packing but when that trouble appeared to have subsided he brought him back to the team. Onigbinde refrained from taking unilateral decisions. When Henry Nwosu declined to report to camp for the return leg of the Nations Cup final qualifier match against Morocco in Rabat. Onigbinde referred his matter to the Nigeria Football Association which promptly suspended him from the national team. Nwosu lost his shirt for a while to midfielder Louis Igwilo. Also, no player had automatic shirt in Onigbinde's Eagles, not even Stephen Keshi the skipper of the team. There were matches that Keshi did not feature. There were other times when Keshi found himself in the starting line-up, only to be pulled out midway into the game. Somehow, Keshi shared the captainship band with Muda Lawal, Peter Rufai and Henry Nwosu. It could be said that Onigbinde's Eagles never scored more than two goals in any match. They were, therefore, not a high scoring side. Except for their 2-5 loss to Togo in 1983 Houpheot Boigny Cup and 1-3 loss to Cameroun in the finals of the 1984 Nations Cup, his team did not concede more than two goals in a match. There was tactical discipline. And the governing attitude in the team was,'" if we could not score against our opponents, then they must not find our net.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Who is Onigbinde?

Email This Page

Print This Page

Weekly Trust (Kaduna)
EDITORIAL
March 1, 2002
Posted to the web March 1, 2002
When the Super Eagles were disbanded last week, Trustsports went to town to seek people's reactions to the change in technical crew. The question put forward by some of the football buffs interviewed was "who is Onigbinde?"
Festus Adegboye Onigbinde was the NFA's director of technical department and a member of the NFA's technical study group to Mali 2002 alongside coaches Christopher Davies and Alabi Aissien.
Coach Adegboye Onigbinde was the Eagles manager, when former assistant coach Stephen Keshi blossomed in the then Green Eagles after the Libya 1982 Nations' Cup misadventure.
The tactician led the IICC Shooting Stars now Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) of Ibadan to the 1984 CAF champions cup now Champions League, where they lost to Zamalek of Egypt in the finals. The team which includes the likes of Segun Odegbami, Best Ogedengbe and Felix Owolabi was captained by new NFA secretary-general Taiwo Ogunjobi.
He then tutored the Green Eagles, then captained by Stephen Keshi to the finals of 1984 African Unity Cup in Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire where they lost 3-1 to Cameroon in the finals. There the team was adjudged the most technical and Onigbinde the best coach by CAF technical committee to pave way for him to become a member of CAF technical committee as a result of his technical expertise, a post he still holds.
Onigbinde was also appointed FIFA technical instructor where FIFA vice president Jack Warner invited him to become the technical adviser of Trinidad and Tobago's national team. There, he almost won a CONCACAF World Cup ticket 2002 for Trinidad and Tobago. He left Trinidad and Tobago late 2001 after the U-17 World Cup hosted in the Caribbean Island.
Though he is said to be defensive minded, Coach Onigbinde is noted for his wing play, through the injection of discipline in the team and in the players.
Coach Festus Onigbinde would be the first Nigeria nay African to lead the Super Eagles to a senior World Cup fiesta.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adegboye Onigbinde
Position: Coach

Onigbinde was only appointed a few months ago when Shaibu Amodu left after the African Nations Cup.

However, he has been in charge of the Super Eagles before.

He took to full-time coaching in 1974 and gained qualifications in Germany and Brazil before landing the job as Nigeria coach in 1982.

The team reached the 1984 Nations Cup final under him before he left that year to manage the country's top club, Shooting Stars.

Onigbinde guided them to the final of the African Champions League which they lost to Egyptian side Zamalek FC.

A former member of the Nigeria FA, Onigbinde is also a Caf and Fifa technical instructor.

He has also worked in a technical capacity with the Trinidad and Tobago FA.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup20 ... 917541.stm
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

1Naija, did you read the article?

The man offers a lot of good words of wisdom...

please pay attention to this one...
...For now in this country, we operate more on who is and not what is right. If we can change this, concentrate more on what is right rather that who is right, probably one can be thinking of a change for the better...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Toxic,
Thanks for the brilliant articles on Chief Onigbinde.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Like him or not, Onigbinde remains one of the foremost football minds not just in Nigeria but beyond Nigeria. That is indeed the bottomline.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:Like him or not, Onigbinde remains one of the foremost football minds not just in Nigeria but beyond Nigeria. That is indeed the bottomline.
KPOM!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Cellular wrote:1Naija, did you read the article?

The man offers a lot of good words of wisdom...

please pay attention to this one...
...For now in this country, we operate more on who is and not what is right. If we can change this, concentrate more on what is right rather that who is right, probably one can be thinking of a change for the better...
Talk is cheap. What happened when he had the opportunity to make things right? Was sabotaging our 2002 WC team 2 months to the tournament the right thing to do? Sure he has all these brilliant ideas now that he is on the sideline, but given the opportunity, he would put personal ambition ahead the the Nigeria football just like he did in 2002! As far as I am concerned, he is no different than the very people he is criticizing.
Bubus
Egg
Egg

Post by Bubus »

Talk is cheap.
JJ Okocha will take this freekick... curls it in! Oh! ...curls it right in!! What a goal?!! What a moment of magic from JJ Okocha?!! And its 1-1!!
m44
Egg
Egg

Post by m44 »

"Like him or not, Onigbinde remains one of the foremost football minds not just in Nigeria but beyond Nigeria. That is indeed the bottomline."

The words of a theorist doesn't go far, but a pragmatist ...?

We need minds, but we also need hands. I can't stand this endless verbiage that seems to stem from self-glorification. Onigibide, you are brilliant, but those that give us practical results, we would remember more.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

m44 wrote:"Like him or not, Onigbinde remains one of the foremost football minds not just in Nigeria but beyond Nigeria. That is indeed the bottomline."

We need minds, but we also need hands. I can't stand this endless verbiage that seems to stem from self-glorification. Onigibide, you are brilliant, but those that give us practical results, we would remember more.
m44:

Yes, Nigeria needs pragmatists but also needs theorists. It is not one without the other but both. The great societies were built by the thinking of those theorists. The policies come from their minds as well. The workers then implement them as per division of labor.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:
m44 wrote:"Like him or not, Onigbinde remains one of the foremost football minds not just in Nigeria but beyond Nigeria. That is indeed the bottomline."

m44:

Yes, Nigeria needs pragmatists but also needs theorists. It is not one without the other but both. The great societies were built by the thinking of those theorists. The policies come from their minds as well. The workers then implement them as per division of labor.
EII, Onigbinde has had more opportunities than any other Nigerian to effect long term changes in Nigerian football. Can you point to any such long term changes he has made? The fact is anyone can throw around ideas that sound great, as evidenced on this board, but it takes action to make those words into reality. Unlike those that come up with beautiful rossy ideas on this board without the means and opportunity to make them into reality, Onigbinde has had the opportunity and the means to make his a reality. What stopped him?
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

Bubus wrote:Talk is cheap.
Very true. That is why you and 1naija can afford to talk on the internet
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

E11, you do have a point. I must add, Chief AO is talking a lot of sense.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

I shake my head with misery when people have the mischievious mindset to insult this great man of Nigeria, can you see how he broke things down nicely for me and you to understand, now ask Chukwu or Keshi or even Mourinho to break it down for you like that, your guess is as good as mine, if we had 3 Onigbinde's in our football we would have won the world cup by now.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
m44
Egg
Egg

Post by m44 »

Please help me here, why do we need three Onigbide's? I suppose we have "seventy times seven" floating around, but one has only left us with lofty words and high-sounding techniques on football, so why go for more?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

m44:

EII, Onigbinde has had more opportunities than any other Nigerian to effect long term changes in Nigerian football. Can you point to any such long term changes he has made? The fact is anyone can throw around ideas that sound great, as evidenced on this board, but it takes action to make those words into reality. Unlike those that come up with beautiful rossy ideas on this board without the means and opportunity to make them into reality, Onigbinde has had the opportunity and the means to make his a reality. What stopped him?

1Naija:

I do not believe that Onigbinde has been in such a position to effect changes at the very top. As far as I can recollect he has largely served as coach which is not a policy-making position at the top. As coach, his effect was limited to the soccer field. In that position, he resurrected Nigerian football that went dead after the ANC of 1980. The team had collapsed in the very first round of the ANC in 1982! He was then called upon and he completely changed the team by inviting over 100 players (most from the grassroots) and took the team (to the surprise of many) to the second place in the ANC of 1984. In his second tenure, he was called upon to rebuild the team before the 2002 World Cup. Unfortunately, he failed in that attempt.

Beyond his stints as the national coach, he was central to the refocusing of the roles of the Technical Department in the FA and the position that was hitherto known as the Technical Director/Advisor. He repeatedly pointed out the redundancy in those two titles and the confusion therein. Eventually, the NFA acknowledged the problems and announced that instead of a Technical Director/Advisor that the position was more appropriately classified as "National Manager" and thus for the first time the discussions about the differences between the task of the Manager and the Techical Department became clearer.

The above are a few of the things that AO has done or suggested. There are probably far more.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

m44:

1Naija:

I do not believe that Onigbinde has been in such a position to effect changes at the very top. As far as I can recollect he has largely served as coach which is not a policy-making position at the top. As coach, his effect was limited to the soccer field. In that position, he resurrected Nigerian football that went dead after the ANC of 1980. The team had collapsed in the very first round of the ANC in 1982! He was then called upon and he completely changed the team by inviting over 100 players (most from the grassroots) and took the team (to the surprise of many) to the second place in the ANC of 1984. In his second tenure, he was called upon to rebuild the team before the 2002 World Cup. Unfortunately, he failed in that attempt.

Beyond his stints as the national coach, he was central to the refocusing of the roles of the Technical Department in the FA and the position that was hitherto known as the Technical Director/Advisor. He repeatedly pointed out the redundancy in those two titles and the confusion therein. Eventually, the NFA acknowledged the problems and announced that instead of a Technical Director/Advisor that the position was more appropriately classified as "National Manager" and thus for the first time the discussions about the differences between the task of the Manager and the Techical Department became clearer.

The above are a few of the things that AO has done or suggested. There are probably far more.
EII, you are probably the only one that remembered the 1984 ANC after the 1982 debacle. You can imagine that Green eagles then being walloped by Zambia at Libya 1982.

Well, you are as good as your last outing but personally, I don't think that WC 02 was a bad outing. I don't see how we could have done better under the circumstances we found ourselves.

BTW, I love Amodu so much. What he did/accomplished with BCC was tremendous. However, I don't think he could have done better than AO at WC02.

We lost to Argentina by a lone goal. 1994, with the bext SE team, we lost to Argentina. With all the hype, we have never beaten England. It's only Sweden that was dicey. We could only have progressed out of that group if we had a big element of luck.

People thinking that with another coach we could ahve gone past the 1st round of WC 02 in the supposed group of deah are just being unrealistic.

Though none of the teams from the group went far in the tournament, Argentina was the pre tournament favourites and everyone including Brazil was scared of them.

I amy not like AO (Amodu is still my favourite LC), however, I need to give him his props.