Handball Law Inconsistency (Affecting Nigeria)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Handball Law Inconsistency (Affecting Nigeria)

Post by wiseone »

Does anyone remember the scandalous handball decision that knocked Nigeria out of the last World Cup? Mark Red headed the ball onto his hand and the ref refused to award Nigeria a penalty that would have given them a 2-1 lead if converted:

Now this is Chelsea v Rennes in the CL last night. Tammy Abraham took a shot which a Rennes defender blocked with his leg, after which the ball ricocheted onto his arm. Not only did the ref award a penalty, but he also showed the Rennes defender a 2nd yellow card and sent him off! Why was the Rojo incident not a penalty, but the Rennes one = handball, penalty, AND red card?

Last edited by wiseone on Sat May 21, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Handball Law Inconsistency (Affecting Nigeria)

Post by maceo4 »

The handball rules/interpretation have changed since then though, there's a new interpretation this season, I personally prefer the old way where they tried to judge intent rather than penalizing someone for an inadvertent touch and ignoring deflections is simply mad.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54318877
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Correction: If converted, the PK would have given Nigeria a 2-1 lead

Wha choo looking at?!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...that was then, this is now. But it look like Rojo handball has intent vs the Rennes defender protecting his face.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Well Brazil 2014 was worse Mikel was elbowed by Giroud in front of the ref and Onazis leg was snapped and Blaise Matuidi remained on the pitch, at that level the refs are never consistent unless it’s involving a favoured team.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Nigeria's games against France in 2014 (men) and 2019 (women) are the closest things to match fixing on live TV I have ever seen. Maradona (an Argentine!) was so outraged by Matuidi's unpunished foul (if you can call an attempt to cripple another human a "foul") that he held a press conference about it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv_Ii3K ... =emb_title

On this forum we described what Matuidi did as a "contract hit" on Onazi.: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=290268&p=5299901&hi ... i#p5299901
Eaglezbeak wrote:Well Brazil 2014 was worse Mikel was elbowed by Giroud in front of the ref and Onazis leg was snapped and Blaise Matuidi remained on the pitch, at that level the refs are never consistent unless it’s involving a favoured team.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

wiseone wrote:Nigeria's games against France in 2014 (men) and 2019 (women) are the closest things to match fixing on live TV I have ever seen. Maradona (an Argentine!) was so outraged by Matuidi's unpunished foul (if you can call an attempt to cripple another human a "foul") that he held a press conference about it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv_Ii3K ... =emb_title

On this forum we described what Matuidi did as a "contract hit" on Onazi.: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=290268&p=5299901&hi ... i#p5299901
Eaglezbeak wrote:Well Brazil 2014 was worse Mikel was elbowed by Giroud in front of the ref and Onazis leg was snapped and Blaise Matuidi remained on the pitch, at that level the refs are never consistent unless it’s involving a favoured team.
And the ref ignored the elbow from Giroud inflicted on Mikel,I don’t know why Mikel didn’t drop to the ground and hold his face.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
wiseone wrote:Nigeria's games against France in 2014 (men) and 2019 (women) are the closest things to match fixing on live TV I have ever seen. Maradona (an Argentine!) was so outraged by Matuidi's unpunished foul (if you can call an attempt to cripple another human a "foul") that he held a press conference about it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv_Ii3K ... =emb_title

And the ref ignored the elbow from Giroud inflicted on Mikel,I don’t know why Mikel didn’t drop to the ground and hold his face.
Thats the problem there, you gotta sell it, else ref will think well it must not have been that bad...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

You guys should consider that, perhaps, the ignored penalty against Argentina and other incidents like that led to the changes in the rules. Whatever the case, Nigeria played its role❗️

Cheers.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The funny thing is that the day before the non-award of the penalty for that Rojo handball, Iran got a penalty against Italy for a far more accidental handball! Compare the two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du7f0w-8B9k

https://larrybrownsports.com/soccer/ira ... all/451329
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:You guys should consider that, perhaps, the ignored penalty against Argentina and other incidents like that led to the changes in the rules. Whatever the case, Nigeria played its role❗️

Cheers.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

maceo4 wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:

Thats the problem there, you gotta sell it, else ref will think well it must not have been that bad...
I don’t think Giroud would have to sell it if he was slightly nudged that ref was Frances 12th man Nigeria was basically fighting against the odds but the NFF said nothing after the game so?
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:You guys should consider that, perhaps, the ignored penalty against Argentina and other incidents like that led to the changes in the rules. Whatever the case, Nigeria played its role❗️

Cheers.
Nah, Nigeria where just cannon fodder,no history book will say Nigeria being robbed contributed to anything in fact FIFA won’t acknowledge it,if you watch FIFAs official highlights of these games all incidents that prove your point are edited.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

In the midst of that epic Man City v Real Madrid Champions League tie, in the first leg the ref penalised Laporte and awarded Madrid a penalty after Laporte headed the ball against his outstretched arm.

How was this incident any different to the Marcos Rojo handball against Nigeria at the last World Cup - for which the ref refused to award a penalty to Nigeria?
Last edited by wiseone on Sun May 22, 2022 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:19 pm The handball rules/interpretation have changed since then though, there's a new interpretation this season, I personally prefer the old way where they tried to judge intent rather than penalizing someone for an inadvertent touch and ignoring deflections is simply mad.

The particular rule isn’t the problem. The inconsistency in enforcing the rule is; that might explain the zero-tolerance approach of the new rules. Makes it difficult for refs to avoid calling handball penalties. It gets called unless your arms are tucked into your body❗️

Cheers.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:19 pm The handball rules/interpretation have changed since then though, there's a new interpretation this season, I personally prefer the old way where they tried to judge intent rather than penalizing someone for an inadvertent touch and ignoring deflections is simply mad.

Yeah the old way is the best. Why they chose to introduce more confusion is beyond me
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:18 pm

Cheers.
Nah, Nigeria where just cannon fodder,no history book will say Nigeria being robbed contributed to anything in fact FIFA won’t acknowledge it,if you watch FIFAs official highlights of these games all incidents that prove your point are edited.
Exactly! I thought I was the only one who noticed that.
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

I am really surprise by the reactions I am getting here. Quote me anywhere. We were completely robbed. That was a first class penalty if there was anything like that. This is a classic case again of FIFA pushing the most profitable team to advance according to their criteria. PERIOD. you can believe it or leave it.

If it happens again in next world cup in qatar against a minnow from Africa against a giant from SA or Europe expect same thing, Yes I said it.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Agbako wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:30 am I am really surprise by the reactions I am getting here. Quote me anywhere. We were completely robbed. That was a first class penalty if there was anything like that. This is a classic case again of FIFA pushing the most profitable team to advance according to their criteria. PERIOD. you can believe it or leave it.

If it happens again in next world cup in qatar against a minnow from Africa against a giant from SA or Europe expect same thing, Yes I said it.
:clap: :clap:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics