Fire Rohr Now ! - Ex-Eagles Stars (Amokachi and Odegbami)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Fire Rohr Now ! - Ex-Eagles Stars (Amokachi and Odegbami)

Post by Dammy »

txj wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:42 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:54 pm
txj wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:44 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:24 pm
txj wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:02 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:29 pm
Dammy wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:04 pm

Wow! Still trying to justify what was an obvious mistake! Go and read my comments about Pinnick moving the team around to venues with unsuitable pitches and see the connection between the time the team started performing poorly at home. The team should have been left to play their matches in Uyo, a ground where they had developed a strong rapport with the fans.
It is not a mistake. The decision was correct based on the outcome of games played then. Let me ask you, Dammy, and you can play God here. How certain are you that SE under Rohr would have beaten Ghana?

You should know already: I fo not ola u God nor do I dabble on clairvoyance. Even if we had appointed the Portuguese, there are no guarantees. BTW, even if you appointed Mourinho. Egypt had a celebrated coach, Algeria had a coach who went undefeated for over 50 games trot. Are Algeria and Egupt in the World Cup? Bros, deep analysis is required at leat sometimes and not knee jerk conclusion.

First, the outcome of the games played back then had zero impact. Why? Because we still qualified.
The goal of a qualification series is TO QUALIFY!

The clairvoyance excuse will not wash. Some of us on this same forum told you it would only lead to a disaster. And it did!!!!

Yes, there are no guarantees in football, but this was a bad decision that the likelihood of a bad outcome was foretold well in advance, and was easily predictable for anyone who was actually paying attention and not overreacting to a bad result and taking the wrong conclusions from them...
Txj

TBH, I would take the same decision today on Rohr given the context at the time. I will not even bat an eyelid. Those home results were enough to pull the trigger. The guy had FIVE years and to produce those remarkably poor results at home is enough. The World Cup was a far reach under him given those outcomes against poorer opposition. Was it Ghana or any of those higher ranked teams that you think he would have done better given the underwhelming results against the likes of CAR?

You would not be the first to double down on a BAD DECISION.
Its a peculiarly Nigerian trait...

And its interesting that having railed against clairvoyance earlier, you are here actually embracing clairvoyance!!! :blushing:

Having said that, its important to understand precisely what made this a bad decision. TIMING and CONTEXT.

Those home results had ZERO significance, except for the embarrassment factor. The CAR home loss does not have the significance you repeatedly assign it. We not only beat them a few days later, but we went on to advance.

The decision made by Pinnick and supported by you and others, is typical of Nigerian decision making to base decisions on ephemerals, emotions and arrogance, and never about real data...

A proper management decision is the one that analyzes the data accurately and puts it in the right context in order to arrive at the best possible decision.

That is why every single outcome that you can use to measure this decision, led to a disaster.

Every single outcome!
Txj

Rohr will not be the first and will not be the last to be fired over poor results. I do not cry over such spilt milk. Those home results mattered not just to me but to thousands of Nigerians who bailed for his sack. He was duly sacked because of that and the fear that the future was not looking good based on those results. Nothing surprising there. Yes, that is a decision based on a future that is unknown. No doubt about it but it is part the course. So also, I hope you will admit, would be to believe that keeping Rohr would have rescued Nigeria. Nigeria simy acted like other organizations would -- use the immediate past to reach conclusion about the near future inspite of the imperfection inherent in that. Nothing surprising there.

Now what makes you think that Nigeria would have done better under Rohr given his results just before his dismissal?

In my view, any analysis should have led to Rohr's dismissal. His dismissal is nothing out of the ordinary. Think here. A manager that led Cameroon to 3rd place at AFCON was dismissed much later than Rohr was and Cameroon is in the WC. Ghana dismissed its manager later than Nigeria did and Ghana is in the World Cup. What are your opinion about those decisions? Please let me know and do not wagfle with the allegation that they are not comparable.

As for Nigeria, the question is was the replacement the best option. Going by CE, there was actually doubt that the replacement was the best at the time.

You are not paying attention.

The issue here is not simply the dismissal of Rohr. Managers are hired and fired all over the world. The key issue has ALWAYS been the context and the timing of the decision which in concert, is what led it to be a bad decision and which ultimately led to DISASTROUS OUTCOMES.

Decisions are not made in the abstract. They occur in TIME and SPACE.

Nigeria could still have fired Rohr, as Cameroon did!

The difference between the two decisions is what- TIMING!

Pay attention so you understand the issues clearly...

I wrote here very clearly back in December that this was a disaster in the making. Its not clairvoyance. Its fact...

There were TWO MONTHS between the end of AFCON and the WCQs.

There were 13 days between the firing of Rohr and the start of AFCON.
Be like say E11 don pick race o! :lol:
I am happy
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

E2

If you cannot see the future to know if Rohr's replacement was doing well
You will not know of Rohr would so better also

If Rohr was poor and playing poorly
Was Cape Verde that were beaten on points poor?

When you keep stating the loss to CAR and draws with Sierra Leone and Cape Verde. You forget the maximum Away wins
Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:34 am
joao wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:00 pm Enugu II, so you are admitting replacing Rohr with the now fired crew was
doing the right thing the wrong way? If so what's the point, and what's gained?
Sorry Bro., decision making is a very important part of life, and this is like not
heading the advise of 'looking before you leap'.

Our 'oga them' and their sycophants surely leapt before looking in this case.
Hood question.

First, you must take the decision to act on poor performance. Rohr was poorly performing and had to go. The next move is to replace him with someone capable of performing better. There are no guarantees here given that no one can see the future except God. However, even then most people here did not believe Egu was the guy. In fact the local choice wpredferred was Amuneke. But even that is no sure thing.however none of those uncertainty should ever stop the rolling of the dice. You simply go with the probabilities.

The NFF went with Egu. Not a big issue for me eventhough he was not the choice for most. He was an option not worse than Rohr given his prior record. So why did he then perform worse than Rohr? We are yet to know fully why but from reports he clearly succumbed to some pressures but at the AFCON was he really responsible for playing a man down? Losing to an arch rival on a tiebreaker in a WCQ was it really worse than obtaing similar or draws at home against tge likes of Sierra Leone, Cape Verde, or CAR. You be the judge.
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

megapro wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:17 pm E2

When you keep stating the loss to CAR and draws with Sierra Leone and Cape Verde. You forget the maximum Away wins
joao wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:00 pm Enugu II, so you are admitting replacing Rohr with the now fired crew was
Sorry Bro., decision making is a very important part of life, and this is like not

Hood question.

First, you must take the decision to act on poor performance. Rohr was poorly performing and had to go. The next move is to replace him with someone capable of performing better. There are no guarantees here given that no one can see the future except God. However, even then most people here did not believe Egu was the guy. In fact the local choice wpredferred was Amuneke. But even that is no sure thing.however none of those uncertainty should ever stop the rolling of the dice. You simply go with the probabilities.

The NFF went with Egu. Not a big issue for me eventhough he was not the choice for most. He was an option not worse than Rohr given his prior record. So why did he then perform worse than Rohr? We are yet to know fully why but from reports he clearly succumbed to some pressures but at the AFCON was he really responsible for playing a man down? Losing to an arch rival on a tiebreaker in a WCQ was it really worse than obtaing similar or draws at home against tge likes of Sierra Leone, Cape Verde, or CAR. You be the judge.
Megapro,

Rohr's win away in CPV, without our starting team, was praised here. That was deserved praise. He did not win another away game, bros. He won the other games on a neutral ground. Always remember that. He did not beat CAR in CAR and did not beat Sierra Leone in Sierra Leone. That is the FACT. Those were fine but Nigeria was decidfedly higher ranked than any of those teams and was expected to ewin those games, both home and on neutral venues. Rohr delivered on nerutral venues but failed to deliver at home. I do not ever remember a stretch of time in our recent history (I stretch recent to the late 1970s i.e. 1976 when Nigeria became a notable power in African football) when we have had a stretch of poor results at home and against decidedly poor opponents. That was the concern and the sack was based on that concern, which was fortunately not lost on Nigerian fans who bailed for his dismissal and duly got it. I know you like him but you have tio move with the times. Coaches come and go. Rohr had a period of excellence but there is no doubt that his performance as manager had dovetailed and that was a good reason for his dismissal.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:38 pm

Hood question.

Megapro,

Rohr's win away in CPV, without our starting team, was praised here. That was deserved praise. He did not win another away game, bros. He won the other games on a neutral ground. Always remember that. He did not beat CAR in CAR and did not beat Sierra Leone in Sierra Leone. That is the FACT. Those were fine but Nigeria was decidfedly higher ranked than any of those teams and was expected to ewin those games, both home and on neutral venues. Rohr delivered on nerutral venues but failed to deliver at home. I do not ever remember a stretch of time in our recent history (I stretch recent to the late 1970s i.e. 1976 when Nigeria became a notable power in African football) when we have had a stretch of poor results at home and against decidedly poor opponents. That was the concern and the sack was based on that concern, which was fortunately not lost on Nigerian fans who bailed for his dismissal and duly got it. I know you like him but you have tio move with the times. Coaches come and go. Rohr had a period of excellence but there is no doubt that his performance as manager had dovetailed and that was a good reason for his dismissal.

You still don't get it!

If the team lost at home and thus not get the benefit of home advantage, why would a win on neutral ground- thus away from home, be discounted in the manner you have done?

My main point here, is that those results were of little significance in the overall scheme of things, and the wins on neutral grounds tell you the home losses were outliers.

Its not about liking Rohr. I for one never liked him following the road game in Zambia...

But its about basing decision making on facts and proper analysis of data, not necessarily the populist thing to do.

And its especially about making decisions in the right time and right context.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:58 pm

Hood question.

Megapro,

You still don't get it!

If the team lost at home and thus not get the benefit of home advantage, why would a win on neutral ground- thus away from home, be discounted in the manner you have done?

My main point here, is that those results were of little significance in the overall scheme of things, and the wins on neutral grounds tell you the home losses were outliers.

Its not about liking Rohr. I for one never liked him following the road game in Zambia...

But its about basing decision making on facts and proper analysis of data, not necessarily the populist thing to do.

Txj,

It is about styating things that are factual. Were those games against CAR and S/Leone played on away grounds? There is a difference and it matters. Megapro posted this weelks ago and I pointed this pout and he took it down. He is back to posting them as away wins. The records must be correct. The fact that those were assigned to be played in those countries is a given but were they?

Now on why have I discounted them. You only need to follow the stats. There is a decided difference in NIgerian statistical records between games played at home and away. BTW, it is not only with NIgeria but with most other teams including clubs. Why dfo you think it does not matter if there is a statistical difference. Common sense should tell uyou that the diufference is a good reason to justify why the home-and-away schedule remains today. Doers it not? Why do you think that most people expected Nigeria to beat Ghana in Lagos after a draw in Kumasi? You think it foes not matter?

The home losses are not outliers? It indicates that Nigeria's invincibility at home had declined. It is a tyrend and you simply saw its continuation in the recent 1-1 draw against Ghana in Abuja. Is that still an outlier? Here is a definition of an outlier: An outlier is an observation that lies an abnormal distance from other values in a random sample from a population (WCQS). Given a series of poor home results by Rohr, do you still call those outliers given that definition?

As for liking Rohr, I have not claimed that you do unless that is the way you feel about him. I am simply arguing a point and do not care either way whether you like him or not. That is besides the point.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:13 pm
txj wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:58 pm

Hood question.

Megapro,

You still don't get it!

Txj,

It is about styating things that are factual. Were those games against CAR and S/Leone played on away grounds? There is a difference and it matters. Megapro posted this weelks ago and I pointed this pout and he took it down. He is back to posting them as away wins. The records must be correct. The fact that those were assigned to be played in those countries is a given but were they?

Now on why have I discounted them. You only need to follow the stats. There is a decided difference in NIgerian statistical records between games played at home and away. BTW, it is not only with NIgeria but with most other teams including clubs. Why dfo you think it does not matter if there is a statistical difference. Common sense should tell uyou that the diufference is a good reason to justify why the home-and-away schedule remains today. Doers it not? Why do you think that most people expected Nigeria to beat Ghana in Lagos after a draw in Kumasi? You think it foes not matter?

The home losses are not outliers? It indicates that Nigeria's invincibility at home had declined. It is a tyrend and you simply saw its continuation in the recent 1-1 draw against Ghana in Abuja. Is that still an outlier? Here is a definition of an outlier: An outlier is an observation that lies an abnormal distance from other values in a random sample from a population (WCQS). Given a series of poor home results by Rohr, do you still call those outliers given that definition?

As for liking Rohr, I have not claimed that you do unless that is the way you feel about him. I am simply arguing a point and do not care either way whether you like him or not. That is besides the point.

Those games were not played at home either!

And the greater point is that if the team, straight from poor results at home produces better results against the same opponent, without the benefit of home advantage, albeit on neutral ground, that the significance you assign to the home losses is grossly overstated. Especially since the same team went on to qualify...

The point here, before you go into your usual circular argument, is that, even with those poor home results, the team showed enough signs by continuing to meet qualification goals that the summary decision to fire the manager 13 days to a tournament was not justified by hard data and hard analysis.

The point is that we had greater options than the decision suggested and could easily have let the performance at AFCON be the ultimate test of the level of the team, and a basis for determining whether to continue with the manager or not.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

txj wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:23 pm
OJI wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:18 pm
txj wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:57 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:57 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:49 pm I wonder what mathematically cluless Uncle Sege has to say now. :rotf:
Emir,

Rohr's firing was the right decision. Make no mistake about it. The team was clearly on a downward trajectory. You cannot wash away three winless games at home and against teams that were decidedly poor (none at the level of Ghana that Nigeria recently drew wityh!!!) when compared to Nigeria -- S/Leone, Cape Verde, and CAR. You simply cannot fgorget that. Rohr had to go. No ifs or buts on that.

What you may argue is whether Rohr's replacement was the right choice. But to argue that the alternative was to retain a clearly failing manager is simp[ly a NON-STARTER. Rohr simply had to go. It was a good decision and good rifdfdance. Let Nigeria rebuild but we are not marrioed to Rohr by the hip. There are numerous managers out there.

Nigeria is neither Niger Republic nor is Ngeria Sao Tome. Nigeria has seen Managers who won the AFCON. Rohr is not one of them. Nigeria has seen Managers reach the final 16 of the World Cup. Rohr was not one of those. Certainly, few will bat an eyelid or lose sleep over the firing of Gernot Rohr.

Rohr took Nigeria to an AFCON bronze. So what? Egu took Nigeria to an AFCON bronze as well. Did he not? Would you take Egu today? Naaa. So same applies to Rohr.

Anyone who says today, even with the benefit of hindsight that Rohr's firing was a good decision, either:

1. does not understand football, or
2. does not understand management decision making
3. or both!

Every single outcome from this decision has failure fully stamped on it.
Every single outcome....

100% behind the decision to fire Rohr, and still behind it.

Let me summarize things for you.
You made one false, and big, implicit assumption. That Rohr was hired for footballing reasons.

Rohr was not hired for his football acumen. He was hired to help the dual nationality Nigerians switch allegiances. To satisfy the foreign-only manta of Pinnick. If he somehow found a Vietnamese-Nigerian, a Chinese-Nigerian playing in Europe, if that was even possible, it is his patsy face that was to be used to have the player switch, and play for Nigeria.

All his recent games were a disaster. Talk less of the pre-WC 2018 friendlies and WC 2018 actual game management. Winging it. After 5+ years at the helm, he had to recall Ighalo to try to bail him out in his last move. Should I remind you the amount of youngsters Westerhoff brought into the team under the same same time period? That played with confidence and belief because he set up a system to play to their strengths? As opposed to the self-defeatist, unambitious, geriatric, defensive, conservative, paternalistic philosophy Rohr passed off as a system. That had Nigeria drawing with teams who according to Rohr's logic, by them having players playing in lower leagues, and/or teams weren't in the same class?

The Rohr saga, and his continued stay in NIgeria after WC 2018 was to still execute Pinnick's mission, and be the scapegoat for Pinnick's eventual bankrupt philosophy.

Guess what, your Pinnick that defended him for 3+ years suddenly decided to terminate the use of his services for some spurious "avoiding disaster" excuse in December 2021. After 5+yrs, there was no template or pattern for which the SuperEagles were known for.

Just like the use of Rohr, we are compensating for Pinnick's overblown ego, and NFF's ineptitude for NOT firing him much earlier. As early, and far back as in 2018. Right after the World Cup. Should have been terminated exactly 48hrs after the last match. He never scouted locally. He was shielded. He was given unprecedented support. He was given a free rein.
Qualifications anchored upon supposedly superior foreign born/raised players NOT from having a system.

Fast forward.

Pinnick /NFF now gambled on a $12 million Qatar 2022 qualification payout with the choice of Eguavoen. Sacrificed the AFCON to get a new coach in place. Remember the Portugese I-had-a-verbal-contract Peso saga?

The problem, and I repeat the problem, is Eguavoen turned out to be a false positive. Most people including me were under the assumption that Eguavoen was somehow familiar with the players as he was the technical director. Had access to match reports. Blah, blah, blah.
It turns out Eguavoen repeated the same set of mistakes Rohr made primarily the midfield-to-attack play, among other decisions. Eguavoen interpreted or assessed the low scoring games to be a lack of strikers as opposed to a lack of effective service to the strikers, and forward team cohesion. You see it in his team selections. You saw his panic move to introduce Ighalo.

It turns out Eguavoen never read or generated or comprehended these technical reports. If there ever was one. It took the AFCON + WC qualifer for him to finally understand that Simon, Chukwueze , etc were NOT supposed to be 1st choice starters.

Well, all these stori are still compensations for the delayed decisions NOT made.

Both Rohr, and Eguaveon sampled team selections as opposed to focusing on team cohesion, and optimizing the resources available to them. Looking for a magic talisman to bail them out.

Root cause of all these cascading decisions, and side effects is Pinnick. We would still be going in circular paths unless Pinnick is removed.

Eguavoen also needs to , nay we demand that he also, leave that ceremonial Technical Director position. He sacrificed his professional integrity by his nonchalance during the Rohr era. His sacrifices from all his previous participation/efforts for Nigeria in various tournaments has now been rubbished.

Yeye dey smell.

Your house dey burn, you dey chase rat.

Pinnick fired Rohr clearly knowing he was going to be operating above his level at the AFCON. Why waste time, and pretend he was a coach when that wasn't the original deal. And jeopardize $12M USD? The issue is Pinnick also knew what Eguaveon, the replacement, was capable of. Remember him trying to get a foreign coach even before the 1st match. Regardless of the outcome of the AFCON, a foreign coach was to take over? The unanticipated AFCON boost Eguaveon got put him in a spot. He knew Eguaveon's limitations. He brought in Amunike.

And gambled.

So, the real correction, and decision to be made is to have Pinnick removed. All others (coaches/players) are just scapegoats. Their micro decisions (substitutions, game management, player decisions) are just distractions.

He gambled with Nigeria's football legacy, and potential with an only focus on the SuperEagles. He gambled with his foreign-only mantra. He gambled with Rohr. He gambled with Eguavoen. Now we see the true state of affairs. We are left cleaning up his mess.

The bankruptcy of the Pinnick vision is self-evident. That foreign-born/raised approach could not work with the U-17,U-20, Olympics or Womens' programs. You have disasters in all these other sectors.

First things First
Get rid of Pinnick.

Its very hard for me to respond to this because none of it makes any kind of sense.

For instance, according to you Rohr was not hired for footballing reasons but ".... to help the dual nationality Nigerians switch allegiances. To satisfy the foreign-only manta of Pinnick".

How does one respond to someone arguing that the earth is flat?
txj
Can you please go back to primary school.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

megapro wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:55 am :D
He was not employed for football reasons
But the only bright light in the last 8 years was the stability and relative success was attained during his tenure
Qualification for WC and AFCON medal

Those that see the future and felt AFCON was above him did not check if it was above his successor

We goofed

He should have been left to fail and resign

Since he left
3 wins in 6 games
Two against Sudan and Bissau
OJI wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:20 pm
txj wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:57 pm
Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:57 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:49 pm I wonder what mathematically cluless Uncle Sege has to say now. :rotf:
Emir,

Rohr's firing was the right decision. Make no mistake about it. The team was clearly on a downward trajectory. You cannot wash away three winless games at home and against teams that were decidedly poor (none at the level of Ghana that Nigeria recently drew wityh!!!) when compared to Nigeria -- S/Leone, Cape Verde, and CAR. You simply cannot fgorget that. Rohr had to go. No ifs or buts on that.

What you may argue is whether Rohr's replacement was the right choice. But to argue that the alternative was to retain a clearly failing manager is simp[ly a NON-STARTER. Rohr simply had to go. It was a good decision and good rifdfdance. Let Nigeria rebuild but we are not marrioed to Rohr by the hip. There are numerous managers out there.

Nigeria is neither Niger Republic nor is Ngeria Sao Tome. Nigeria has seen Managers who won the AFCON. Rohr is not one of them. Nigeria has seen Managers reach the final 16 of the World Cup. Rohr was not one of those. Certainly, few will bat an eyelid or lose sleep over the firing of Gernot Rohr.

Rohr took Nigeria to an AFCON bronze. So what? Egu took Nigeria to an AFCON bronze as well. Did he not? Would you take Egu today? Naaa. So same applies to Rohr.

Anyone who says today, even with the benefit of hindsight that Rohr's firing was a good decision, either:

1. does not understand football, or
2. does not understand management decision making
3. or both!

Every single outcome from this decision has failure fully stamped on it.
Every single outcome....

100% behind the decision to fire Rohr, and still behind it.

Let me summarize things for you.
You made one false, and big, implicit assumption. That Rohr was hired for footballing reasons.

Rohr was not hired for his football acumen. He was hired to help the dual nationality Nigerians switch allegiances. To satisfy the foreign-only manta of Pinnick. If he somehow found a Vietnamese-Nigerian, a Chinese-Nigerian playing in Europe, if that was even possible, it is his patsy face that was to be used to have the player switch, and play for Nigeria.

All his recent games were a disaster. Talk less of the pre-WC 2018 friendlies and WC 2018 actual game management. Winging it. After 5+ years at the helm, he had to recall Ighalo to try to bail him out in his last move. Should I remind you the amount of youngsters Westerhoff brought into the team under the same same time period? That played with confidence and belief because he set up a system to play to their strengths? As opposed to the self-defeatist, unambitious, geriatric, defensive, conservative, paternalistic philosophy Rohr passed off as a system. That had Nigeria drawing with teams who according to Rohr's logic, by them having players playing in lower leagues, and/or teams weren't in the same class?

The Rohr saga, and his continued stay in NIgeria after WC 2018 was to still execute Pinnick's mission, and be the scapegoat for Pinnick's eventual bankrupt philosophy.

Guess what, your Pinnick that defended him for 3+ years suddenly decided to terminate the use of his services for some spurious "avoiding disaster" excuse in December 2021. After 5+yrs, there was no template or pattern for which the SuperEagles were known for.

Just like the use of Rohr, we are compensating for Pinnick's overblown ego, and NFF's ineptitude for NOT firing him much earlier. As early, and far back as in 2018. Right after the World Cup. Should have been terminated exactly 48hrs after the last match. He never scouted locally. He was shielded. He was given unprecedented support. He was given a free rein.
Qualifications anchored upon supposedly superior foreign born/raised players NOT from having a system.

Fast forward.

Pinnick /NFF now gambled on a $12 million Qatar 2022 qualification payout with the choice of Eguavoen. Sacrificed the AFCON to get a new coach in place. Remember the Portugese I-had-a-verbal-contract Peso saga?

The problem, and I repeat the problem, is Eguavoen turned out to be a false positive. Most people including me were under the assumption that Eguavoen was somehow familiar with the players as he was the technical director. Had access to match reports. Blah, blah, blah.
It turns out Eguavoen repeated the same set of mistakes Rohr made primarily the midfield-to-attack play, among other decisions. Eguavoen interpreted or assessed the low scoring games to be a lack of strikers as opposed to a lack of effective service to the strikers, and forward team cohesion. You see it in his team selections. You saw his panic move to introduce Ighalo.

It turns out Eguavoen never read or generated or comprehended these technical reports. If there ever was one. It took the AFCON + WC qualifer for him to finally understand that Simon, Chukwueze , etc were NOT supposed to be 1st choice starters.

Well, all these stori are still compensations for the delayed decisions NOT made.

Both Rohr, and Eguaveon sampled team selections as opposed to focusing on team cohesion, and optimizing the resources available to them. Looking for a magic talisman to bail them out.

Root cause of all these cascading decisions, and side effects is Pinnick. We would still be going in circular paths unless Pinnick is removed.

Eguavoen also needs to , nay we demand that he also, leave that ceremonial Technical Director position. He sacrificed his professional integrity by his nonchalance during the Rohr era. His sacrifices from all his previous participation/efforts for Nigeria in various tournaments has now been rubbished.

Yeye dey smell.

Your house dey burn, you dey chase rat.

Pinnick fired Rohr clearly knowing he was going to be operating above his level at the AFCON. Why waste time, and pretend he was a coach when that wasn't the original deal. And jeopardize $12M USD? The issue is Pinnick also knew what Eguaveon, the replacement, was capable of. Remember him trying to get a foreign coach even before the 1st match. Regardless of the outcome of the AFCON, a foreign coach was to take over? The unanticipated AFCON boost Eguaveon got put him in a spot. He knew Eguaveon's limitations. He brought in Amunike.

And gambled.

So, the real correction, and decision to be made is to have Pinnick removed. All others (coaches/players) are just scapegoats. Their micro decisions (substitutions, game management, player decisions) are just distractions.

He gambled with Nigeria's football legacy, and potential with an only focus on the SuperEagles. He gambled with his foreign-only mantra. He gambled with Rohr. He gambled with Eguavoen. Now we see the true state of affairs. We are left cleaning up his mess.

The bankruptcy of the Pinnick vision is self-evident. That foreign-born/raised approach could not work with the U-17,U-20, Olympics or Womens' programs. You have disasters in all these other sectors.

First things First.

Get rid of Pinnick.
megapro
Can you please go back to primary school.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Hood question.

The highlighted portion is again evidence of why Nigeria will never develop at this rate.

According to the OP, it was 'not a big issue to hire Egu'. And on a different post, we could not 'know in advance that he would fail'...

Except that we knew the following in advance:

1. He had coached the SE before and was not successful.
2. In the 16 YEARS since coaching the SE, he had done exactly ZERO of note in football coaching.

What we had to work on as evidence of his work was a youtube video on Nigerian football philosophy that was a lot of hot air, but being promoted as a brilliant insight...

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

txj wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:29 pm

Hood question.

The highlighted portion is again evidence of why Nigeria will never develop at this rate.

According to the OP, it was 'not a big issue to hire Egu'. And on a different post, we could not 'know in advance that he would fail'...

Except that we knew the following in advance:

1. He had coached the SE before and was not successful.
2. In the 16 YEARS since coaching the SE, he had done exactly ZERO of note in football coaching.

What we had to work on as evidence of his work was a youtube video on Nigerian football philosophy that was a lot of hot air, but being promoted as a brilliant insight...
He's a local coach naa, so the OP must support him despite his catalogues of failures from U17, U23 and the SE!
I am happy