Nigeria vs. Argentina, 1994,2002,2010,2014,2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria vs. Argentina, 1994,2002,2010,2014,2018

Post by Undertaker »

Who saw all five matches live? Can you talk about your experiences from the first match to the last at St. Petersburg? Although we haven't won a match yet, I feel like the Argentines have begun to fear us and respect us more. They know it is never going to be an easy match for them. They weren't as confident in St. Petersburg as they were in Porto Alegre in 2014. I saw three of the five games live, and they were all very good matches.
Last edited by Undertaker on Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria vs. Argentina, 1994, 2002,2010,2014, 2018

Post by Undertaker »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEMfkQTnEhA[/video]

Argentine fans at a mall in Porto Alegre in 2014 before the Nigeria vs. Argentine match! They really believe Maradona was better than Pele!
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

At the stadium during the game....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4MlltqFrU0[/video]
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

We came close in 2010 and 2018. 2018 was our best chance but **** did his thing, being a useless coach that is. Oh and lets not forget Misses Ighalo's miss. :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria vs. Argentina, 1994,2002,2010,2014, 2018

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Hopefully we don't ever meet them again ever. They have owned us over 2 decades. Enough is enough.
OCCUPY NFF!!
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Hopefully we don't ever meet them again ever. They have owned us over 2 decades. Enough is enough.
To be honest, I hope we get them again. We really need to overcome this block
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

highbury wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Hopefully we don't ever meet them again ever. They have owned us over 2 decades. Enough is enough.

To be fair to us each time we faced them they had either Maradona, Batistuta or Messi on the pitch.

The WC we beat Argentina is the WC we will get to the final, because you have to have top quality, clinical finishers and a resolute defense to beat Argentina. They will test your defense and test it very often all game. The few times you have the ball, you have to make it count.

Messi's powers are declining and I don't see any other outstanding players on the horizon for Argentina, so maybe they will enter a period of decline to make it easier for us.

Wha choo looking at?!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
highbury wrote:

To be fair to us each time we faced them they had either Maradona, Batistuta or Messi on the pitch.

The WC we beat Argentina is the WC we will get to the final, because you have to have top quality, clinical finishers and a resolute defense to beat Argentina. They will test your defense and test it very often all game. The few times you have the ball, you have to make it count.

Messi's powers are declining and I don't see any other outstanding players on the horizon for Argentina, so maybe they will enter a period of decline to make it easier for us.

Argentina always has a Maradona or Messi like figure for them. Ortega, Batistuta etc. This time they have Martinez. The only way to beat them is to take full advantage of the chances you have and keep things tight at the back. If Misses Ighalo had scored that 1v1, we would be celebrating till tomorow. I hope we draw them again. We will beat them soon. It only a matter of time and THEY know it.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

bret- hart wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
highbury wrote:

Argentina always has a Maradona or Messi like figure for them. Ortega, Batistuta etc. This time they have Martinez. The only way to beat them is to take full advantage of the chances you have and keep things tight at the back. If Misses Ighalo had scored that 1v1, we would be celebrating till tomorrow. I hope we draw them again. We will beat them soon. It only a matter of time and THEY know it.
I feel like everytime we play them we didn't learn anything from the previous game. It is always a close game, but they always get that last goal and close down shop. 15 points out of 15!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Undertaker wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
highbury wrote:

Argentina always has a Maradona or Messi like figure for them. Ortega, Batistuta etc. This time they have Martinez. The only way to beat them is to take full advantage of the chances you have and keep things tight at the back. If Misses Ighalo had scored that 1v1, we would be celebrating till tomorrow. I hope we draw them again. We will beat them soon. It only a matter of time and THEY know it.
I feel like everytime we play them we didn't learn anything from the previous game. It is always a close game, but they always get that last goal and close down shop. 15 points out of 15!
Every time we play Argentina they dominate the midfield. They make us react to them and chase their shadows. They use quick passing and running to get into dangerous positions all game and if not for steller goalkeeping, their winning scorelines would be more lopsided.

Conversely when we get chances against them we are too rash, unrefined, uncomposed or any combination of all three.

In 2018 IMO we played them better than we ever did. We got behind their defense a few times, but the quality of the final ball was lacking. We missed two chances to put some serious psychological pressure on them (1) when Ighalo missed that wide open net, and (2) when we stupidly did not insist that a bloody-faced Mascherano leave the pitch (when the game was at 1-1 and Argentina were on their way out of the WC).

In 2014 we were victims of mentally switching off early in the game allowing them to swarm us like bees and get a goal off a lucky rebound. We did very well to come back and tie the game twice, but a panicked agricultural clearance by Babatunde? gave the ball back to Argentina at 2-2 and they got a lucky knee goal off the resulting corner to win the game. We were very unlucky though. A hot shot by Onazi(a carbon copy of Oliseh's effort against Spain, low hard and beautifully struck) was destined for the back of the Argentine net but instead broke a fellow SE's arm. Such was the ferocity of that shot.

In 2010 anyone could see that Argentina's right side was very porous. We breached that side a couple of times but Ogbuke(snatching at his shot) and then Osaze(refusing to pass to a wide open and unmarked Martins) made the absolute wrong decision.

In 2002 they completely dominated us. The one clear cut chance we got was when JJ used his sublime skills to part their defense, and actually had a couple of options to play someone into the Argentina box, but he took a long range shot (a good one mind you) which was fingertip saved.

In 1994 they simply had too much firepower for us. If not for Rufai that game would have ended 4 or 5-1 in their favor.

Wha choo looking at?!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria vs. Argentina, 1994,2002,2010,2014,2018

Post by Tobi17 »

If there's a BETTER time to beat ARGENTINA, it's certainly now with the likes of Messi on the decline... and hopefully when the likes of Lookman, Ejaria etc join as it looking likely to be the case soon... we will then (hopefully) have more attacking impetus to actually go at these guys and beat them once and for all.

But then we might still have Rohr and his "we are a young team, Argentina is one of the best teams in the world" self defeating mentality to contend with.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

For Nigeria to beat Argentina you have to outscore them. Look at our history..

We don't have defensive discipline to hold them.

A team like Ghana or Senegal would be more equipped to face Argentina than Nigeria.
Tobi17 wrote:If there's a BETTER time to beat ARGENTINA, it's certainly now with the likes of Messi on the decline... and hopefully when the likes of Lookman, Ejaria etc join as it looking likely to be the case soon... we will then (hopefully) have more attacking impetus to actually go at these guys and beat them once and for all.

But then we might still have Rohr and his "we are a young team, Argentina is one of the best teams in the world" self defeating mentality to contend with.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Robotnik wrote:For Nigeria to beat Argentina you have to outscore them. Look at our history..

A team like Ghana or Senegal would be more equipped to face Argentina than Nigeria.
Tobi17 wrote:If there's a BETTER time to beat ARGENTINA, it's certainly now with the likes of Messi on the decline... and hopefully when the likes of Lookman, Ejaria etc join as it looking likely to be the case soon... we will then (hopefully) have more attacking impetus to actually go at these guys and beat them once and for all.

GBAM!! Argentina won't be able to dominate possession so easily against Ghana and Senegal will strangle the life out of their short passing game, but I think Ghana would be the perfect opponent against Argentina. They would be a nightmare team for Argentina because they can hang with their short passing game and would get many more chances to score.

Wha choo looking at?!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Robotnik wrote:For Nigeria to beat Argentina you have to outscore them. Look at our history..

GBAM!! Argentina won't be able to dominate possession so easily against Ghana and Senegal will strangle the life out of their short passing game, but I think Ghana would be the perfect opponent against Argentina. They would be a nightmare team for Argentina because they can hang with their short passing game and would get many more chances to score.

Argentina will smash Ghana and Senegal to smithereens. Most of these African teams cant hang with the big boys like we do.

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

bret- hart wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:

Argentina will smash Ghana and Senegal to smithereens. Most of these African teams cant hang with the big boys like we do.
Think again. Senegal have beaten France and Sweden at the WC. Both teams beat us at the WC.

Ghana would not go 0-5 against Argentina. They would have beaten Argentina's daddy, Germany at the 2014 WC if Ayew had a brain.

Wha choo looking at?!
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

What's with all the "ifs"? They have beaten us like 5 times consecutively, to be honest and unsentimental, this looks more like a strong trend.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:

Think again. Senegal have beaten France and Sweden at the WC. Both teams beat us at the WC.

Ghana would not go 0-5 against Argentina. They would have beaten Argentina's daddy, Germany at the 2014 WC if Ayew had a brain.
This current Ghanaian team will definitely NOT hang with the Argies, who dash them? maybe if you meant the 2008-10 Ghanaian team then fine cause that generation was very solid especially in midfield. This current Senegalese team can surely go the distance with and beat Argentina, but 9 times out of 10 Argentina will only need some tactical discipline or individual brilliance to beat Senegal even after been outplayed... right now, the only team in Africa that I can bet my money on to comfortably beat Argentina in a high stake match is Algeria.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Saw all 5.
Better side won each time.
First time was a war of attrition. We took the lead and then fell asleep for their goals. That was the game where Rufai introduced his art of diving after the ball had already gone in to the world.

Second time was so one sided it’s a miracle it ended only 1-0. Battigol should have had a hat-trick.

Same could be said for the third time. Was that Enyeama’s best ever game? Maybe one of the great goalkeeping performance in the history of the tournament. Messi really should have had a bucket load.

2014 was actually close. Just that Keshi only brought about 11 or so actual footballers to that tournament so we had very little to change things up when we needed to.

2018 was really one-sided, but we had a clever, deep-digging team, with everyone playing in their strongest positions. Rohr wasted the first half and actually made the right calls bringing Ighalo on. I suspect if the exhausted Musa and Vic Mo has been subbed around the 75th minute mark for Iwobi and say Awaziem or Ebuehi, we’d have left with a draw.

5 games, 5 losses. Not sure there’s a better case of wife-syndrome in all of football.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:

Senegal will get smashed by Argentina yesterday and today. These guys cant even beat the bootlegged inferior versions called Algeria and Morocco. How will they now beat the real thing? Common now. Ghana? lol they have been a hot mess since 2014. In order to beat Argentina you need strikers. Ghana has none unless they beg that Eddie Nkiteh to switch. Good luck.

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Tobi17 wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:

This current Ghanaian team will definitely NOT hang with the Argies, who dash them? maybe if you meant the 2008-10 Ghanaian team then fine cause that generation was very solid especially in midfield. This current Senegalese team can surely go the distance with and beat Argentina, but 9 times out of 10 Argentina will only need some tactical discipline or individual brilliance to beat Senegal even after been outplayed... right now, the only team in Africa that I can bet my money on to comfortably beat Argentina in a high stake match is Algeria.

Algeria is an inferior boothlegged version of Argentina. Argentina will smash them like RayJ smashed Kim Kardashian The original will always beat the counterfiet. They wont stand a chance. Fact is no African team can step to Argentina right now.

Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

If we qualify for Qatar 2022 I hope and pray we end up in the same group again. I think we are due for a win!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Undertaker wrote:If we qualify for Qatar 2022 I hope and pray we end up in the same group again. I think we are due for a win!
It don't work like dat. I thought we were due for a win too in 2002, 2010, 2014 and 2018.

Wha choo looking at?!
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Undertaker wrote:If we qualify for Qatar 2022 I hope and pray we end up in the same group again. I think we are due for a win!
It don't work like dat. I thought we were due for a win too in 2002, 2010, 2014 and 2018.

When it comes to Nigeria, 6 times is the charm??