Nigerian Professional Football League 2021

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ukwala
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigerian Professional Football League 2021

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:06 am
ukwala wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:05 pm Na wa o! 3SC returns to the NPFL and the league is unable to take off. Going to 4 months now since the end of last sason and the 2021/2022 has not started.
Meanwhile, our reps in continental competitions, both male and female, play their continental matches without the league in progress and hence without having played competitive games. Nobody seems to think fitness is an issue as to why we keep on crashing out easily.
People keep on asking why all our clubs are government owned. Can any private concern survive in this system full of drama?
:curse: :curse: :curse: It is really shocking. Months later you will have an abridged league and then no time for an F.A. Cup competition and we will wonder what happened. FOUR FULL MONTHS of inactivity by the professional league of a country. Wonders shall not cease. Just amazing.
EII, I don’t think our country has a remedy for maladministration. I personally don’t see any solution in sight. Na ‘siddon look’ I dey.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

ukwala wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:10 pm
ukwala wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:05 pm Na wa o! 3SC returns to the NPFL and the league is unable to take off. Going to 4 months now since the end of last sason and the 2021/2022 has not started.
Meanwhile, our reps in continental competitions, both male and female, play their continental matches without the league in progress and hence without having played competitive games. Nobody seems to think fitness is an issue as to why we keep on crashing out easily.
People keep on asking why all our clubs are government owned. Can any private concern survive in this system full of drama?
:curse: :curse: :curse: It is really shocking. Months later you will have an abridged league and then no time for an F.A. Cup competition and we will wonder what happened. FOUR FULL MONTHS of inactivity by the professional league of a country. Wonders shall not cease. Just amazing.
EII, I don’t think our country has a remedy for maladministration. I personally don’t see any solution in sight. Na ‘siddon look’ I dey.
In the meantime, self-styled knowledgeable fans like nfachairman will still expect Enyimba, or whoever else emerges, to beat the well-schooled Al-Allys and Esperences unconditionally; and when this doesn’t happen, they’ll turn around and blame it on local coaches who know nothing🤔❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:09 am
In the meantime, self-styled knowledgeable fans like nfachairman will still expect Enyimba, or whoever else emerges, to beat the well-schooled Al-Allys and Esperences unconditionally; and when this doesn’t happen, they’ll turn around and blame it on local coaches who know nothing🤔❗️

Cheers.
TTTK,

It is really unrealistic to expect local TEAMS dominate in the continent. That will not make sense, regardless of how good the coaching is, and I explain below:

1. Note that top local talents leave regularly for football outside Nigeria and even those that remain in the country move around frequently to ensure a payday. Remember, wages are not regular and these footballers rely on annual ort even semi-annual transfers to get paid because such transfers atleast assure a fraction of sign-on fees before the players agrees to move. If a player remains at a location, the wages may no longer be forthcoming. This forces players to move regularly and skim off via transfer fees. We found this phenomenon via this study: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... 20.1749600

2. Note that a large number of local players play at the academy level and not the NPFL. This is not to say that some do not get to the NPFL. This seeming anomaly is actually logical -- moving overseas from an academy gives you a better chance of sticking with an oversea club that thinks the player has growth potential. If a player moves from NPFL, he is expected tgo be a finished product! Thus, the assessment of the player could be different depending on the choice made.

3. You will note that this deskilling that is going on at the NPFL level could have been solved by NPFL clubs having academies directly attached to them because it enables the club to build up via academies and attracts young Nigerian players to the big clubs rather than otherwise. The NPFL tried to get around this by attempting to encourage clubs to build up academies by organizing U-17 and U19 competitions among NPFL clubs but the clubs did not want to do the hardwork of grooming such players and simply focused on the main team. The NPFL then introduced incentives by, at one time, offering incentives to clubs that use youngsters in regular NPFL games but that has seemed to fizzle out.

4. The Nigerian problem described above is actually, in large part, not limited to Nigeria. Most of the leading West African countries that lead in shipping young talent abroad (Nigeria, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Mali, and Ghana) are having similar problems. None of those countries are dominant in club competitions at the continental level. None! That is not a reflection of the coaching but a reflection of talent base and the issues described above on varying levels. I state varying levels because in Ivory Coast and Senegal, for instance, some of the academies actually play in the top professional leagues in their country. That is certainly not the case in Nigeria.

There is more, but I stop here and digress. For more in-depth discussions and insight you may want to read a book that I recently edited titled Africa's Elite Football: Structure, Politics, and Everyday Challenges (published 2020 by Routledge). The book can be accessed here: https://www.routledge.com/Africas-Elite ... 0367138899
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:23 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:09 am

Cheers.
TTTK,

It is really unrealistic to expect local TEAMS dominate in the continent. That will not make sense, regardless of how good the coaching is, and I explain below:

1. Note that top local talents leave regularly for football outside Nigeria and even those that remain in the country move around frequently to ensure a payday. Remember, wages are not regular and these footballers rely on annual ort even semi-annual transfers to get paid because such transfers atleast assure a fraction of sign-on fees before the players agrees to move. If a player remains at a location, the wages may no longer be forthcoming. This forces players to move regularly and skim off via transfer fees. We found this phenomenon via this study: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... 20.1749600

2. Note that a large number of local players play at the academy level and not the NPFL. This is not to say that some do not get to the NPFL. This seeming anomaly is actually logical -- moving overseas from an academy gives you a better chance of sticking with an oversea club that thinks the player has growth potential. If a player moves from NPFL, he is expected tgo be a finished product! Thus, the assessment of the player could be different depending on the choice made.

3. You will note that this deskilling that is going on at the NPFL level could have been solved by NPFL clubs having academies directly attached to them because it enables the club to build up via academies and attracts young Nigerian players to the big clubs rather than otherwise. The NPFL tried to get around this by attempting to encourage clubs to build up academies by organizing U-17 and U19 competitions among NPFL clubs but the clubs did not want to do the hardwork of grooming such players and simply focused on the main team. The NPFL then introduced incentives by, at one time, offering incentives to clubs that use youngsters in regular NPFL games but that has seemed to fizzle out.

4. The Nigerian problem described above is actually, in large part, not limited to Nigeria. Most of the leading West African countries that lead in shipping young talent abroad (Nigeria, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Mali, and Ghana) are having similar problems. None of those countries are dominant in club competitions at the continental level. None! That is not a reflection of the coaching but a reflection of talent base and the issues described above on varying levels. I state varying levels because in Ivory Coast and Senegal, for instance, some of the academies actually play in the top professional leagues in their country. That is certainly not the case in Nigeria.

There is more, but I stop here and digress. For more in-depth discussions and insight you may want to read a book that I recently edited titled Africa's Elite Football: Structure, Politics, and Everyday Challenges (published 2020 by Routledge). The book can be accessed here: https://www.routledge.com/Africas-Elite ... 0367138899
EII,

Yes indeed. The most obvious thing that can be said about Nigerian clubs is that they are unstable, both financially and personnel-wise, for whatever reason. One cannot reasonably expect our vastly under-funded clubs to consistently compete favorably with the much better funded North African and South African clubs❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:40 pm
Enugu II wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:23 am

TTTK,

EII,

Yes indeed. The most obvious thing that can be said about Nigerian clubs is that they are unstable, both financially and personnel-wise, for whatever reason. One cannot reasonably expect our vastly under-funded clubs to consistently compete favorably with the much better funded North African and South African clubs❗️

Cheers.
TTTK,

The reasons for the factors that you noted are related and known. We did studies on this and you can find one right here https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10 ... lCode=irsb. The unstable remuneration is a key factor not only in the migration outwards but also the seasonal in-migration. The in-migration is in fact a strategy by footballers to ensure payment. When a footballer signs a contract, it is preferred to sign a one and NOT a multi-year contract. Why? If you sign multi-year, once you collect a sign-on fee, the monthly wages are un-assured. Thus, remuneration is certainly to focus on obtaining a sign-on. To do so annually requires moving from one club to the next.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics