NFF to camp Home based players for SE games

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
NFF to camp Home based players for SE games

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

They have agreed to camp home based players 1-2 weeks before all SE games. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Abeg, what is the point of calling players that will not play to camp? I think Keshi did this for a while, this is how hey yous end up on the team. I hope Rohr makes it clear he's not responsible for selecting or training them.

https://www.completesports.com/home-bas ... ure-games/
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NFF to camp Home based players for SE games

Post by vancity eagle »

You see the ghost of Keshi is still haunting us. They referenced Keshi using "about 8 home-based players" to win afcon. This is a gross overstatement. There were only 6 home-based players, not 8.

First off , most of those players barely saw any action and remained on the bench. Only Mba and Oboabonna played any significant minutes.

Second off, back then there were nowhere near as many quality options abroad as we have now, making the fringe use of home-based players .more understandable.

Third off, even that fringe use of hb players turned out to be a failed project in the long run as we failed to qualify for next afcon, and those players we used dissapeared off the face of the planet, ending up in obscure leagues.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote:You see the ghost of Keshi is still haunting us. They referenced Keshi using "about 8 home-based players" to win afcon. This is a gross overstatement. There were only 6 home-based players, not 8.

First off , most of those players barely saw any action and remained on the bench. Only Mba and Oboabonna played any significant minutes.

Second off, back then there were nowhere near as many quality options abroad as we have now, making the fringe use of home-based players .more understandable.

Third off, even that fringe use of hb players turned out to be a failed project in the long run as we failed to qualify for next afcon, and those players we used dissapeared off the face of the planet, ending up in obscure leagues.
VE,

How many HB players do you think should be playing in a team of 11 before you consider it significant? 7? 8? Is there a number you have in mind?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

vancity eagle wrote:You see the ghost of Keshi is still haunting us. They referenced Keshi using "about 8 home-based players" to win afcon. This is a gross overstatement. There were only 6 home-based players, not 8.

Quality options abroad like Uchebo ok yes we understand
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:

VE,

How many HB players do you think should be playing in a team of 11 before you consider it significant? 7? 8? Is there a number you have in mind?

My point is that a false narrative was promoted that Keshi won afcon "using home-based players" as if they were a significant part of the victory, even the defining part of it.

The fact is that Keshi won afcon using our overseas based players.

Enyeama, Mikel, Moses, Onazi, Omeruo, Echijele, Emenike,

Oboabonna and Mba were the only significant hb players, so we should not have had false narratives about "home-based project"

In reality Keshi tried to do this at the beginning of his tenure and it failed which was why he then brought in the big guns like Mikel and Moses, and the fortunes changed.

If Rohr won Afcon with Ezenwa in goal, will you call it a "home-based project" ?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Money has dried up in Nigeria, $ is now N500. With Sports Minister looking for money to cut the grass at the national stadium, this move is just to open up a revenue stream for crooks and agents. You need money to camp players and to pay them, once a stream is opened for local intake of FIFA and CAF money, its hammer time.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Dude, you're the only one whom the "ghost" of Keshi is haunting.
For most Nigerians, the MEMORY of Keshi is a rather pleasant one!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

vancity eagle wrote:My point is that a false narrative was promoted that Keshi won afcon "using home-based players" as if they were a significant part of the victory, even the defining part of it.

Oboabonna and Mba were the only significant hb players, so we should not have had false narratives about "home-based project"

In reality Keshi tried to do this at the beginning of his tenure and it failed which was why he then brought in the big guns like Mikel and Moses, and the fortunes changed.

If Rohr won Afcon with Ezenwa in goal, will you call it a "home-based project" ?
Exactly! Scoring the WINNING goal in the final (and the goal that beat YOUR heroes CIV Elephants) is "insignificant". SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Money has dried up in Nigeria, $ is now N500. With Sports Minister looking for money to cut the grass at the national stadium, this move is just to open up a revenue stream for crooks and agents. You need money to camp players and to pay them, once a stream is opened for local intake of FIFA and CAF money, its hammer time.
Damn, you hit the nail on the head!!! I utterly agree with EVERYTHING you said! If you know you know :D :thumbs:.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:My point is that a false narrative was promoted that Keshi won afcon "using home-based players" as if they were a significant part of the victory, even the defining part of it.

Exactly! Scoring the WINNING goal in the final (and the goal that beat YOUR heroes CIV Elephants) is "insignificant". SMH
VE denying contributions of the HB players cannot wish away what actually happened. The point is that Keshi and the NFF recognized that the best Nigerian players should be used and where they play their football -- Europe, Nigeria, Division I, Division III --- is irrelevant.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Yobo On Scouting Mission; Hails John Utaka FC After Galant Loss To Wikki Tourist
12 November 30, 2020 8:18 pm
https://www.completesports.com/yobo-on- ... i-tourist/

Former Super Eagles captain and current Assistant coach of the team, Joseph Yobo, has commended John Utaka Football Club (JUFC) after he watched the youthful Minna based team lose 2-1 to NPFL side at the Tafawa Balewa Stadium in Bauchi, Completesports.com reports.

Yobo who was in Bauchi on a scouting mission was so impressed by the standard displayed by the two teams that he marvelled why the John Utaka FC are not playing in any category of the Nigerian leagues.

“I am so impressed with this young JUFC side for their robust and direct style of play add to the high intensity they applied all through the 90 minutes. I find it difficult to believe that they are a non league side, the way they pressed an experienced and quality side like Wikki Tourist was a delight to watch

“I am carried away by their amazing display despite losing the game 2-1 to Wikki. They put up the kind of performance we love to see in the National team setup, that fighting spirit of never giving up. I still don’t believe they are not a league side. I want to commend my former national teammate, John, for the wonderful team he has here,” Yobo told the media in Bauchi

Skipper Alhaji Idris Guda and Manu Garba scored for Wikki Tourist FC who are tunning up ahead of the kick off of the NPFL season. JUFC lone goal was scored by 16 year old Istifanus Jofrank Gombiman.

Speaking after the game, Vice president of John Utaka Football Club, Usman Chata, said the club embarked on series of friendly game to prepare for the tour of France early next year, and added that he was impressed with their performance so far and though there’s room for improvement

“Our coach is using these friendly matches to blend the old players with our new graduates from our academy and to evaluate the players’ fitness after the long Covid-19 pandemic layoff. So far we have played about five games losing to Flying Eagles (2-1), Wikki Tourist 2-1 and Kano Pilllars by a lone goal. We also best Crown 1-0 and Monaco Barca 3-0,” Chata said.

Yobo however refused to comment when asked if he discovered any player good for national team.

“My job is to scout and report back to my boss, Gernot Rohr,” Yobo said.

By Richard Jideaka, Abuja
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

iworo wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Money has dried up in Nigeria, $ is now N500. With Sports Minister looking for money to cut the grass at the national stadium, this move is just to open up a revenue stream for crooks and agents. You need money to camp players and to pay them, once a stream is opened for local intake of FIFA and CAF money, its hammer time.
Damn, you hit the nail on the head!!! I utterly agree with EVERYTHING you said! If you know you know :D :thumbs:.
Exactly! Rather spend that money on Oyinbo coaches who cannot achieve better than indigenous ones or who led Pittsburgh women to finish in the lower rungs of their conference standings. Nigerians eagerly grabbing their ankles. SMDH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

Assumed the SE is for the best irrespective of where they play. Abeg make we no carry quota system enter there.
During the 2 weeks they will be camped what happens to their clubs ?
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Very good initiative. This nonsense of ring fencing the SE to (Pinnick Dream is over). Well done, Minister of Sports.

As for Rohr cry babies, you are feel to start wailing.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

NFF wey dey always complain of lack of funds. Would the Ministry provide to funds for the extra 2 weeks of camping? I'm willing to bet, just like during Keshi's era, this initiative will fizzle out after 3 or 4 international windows if that.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Gotti wrote:

The more he tried the more the 'ghost' is flogging him :taunt:

First he supported another team against the SE. Well Mba the Elephant Slayer have other ideas.

Then he wished that we lost in the final but sorry, Big Boss surprised him.

He now moved to the particular AFCON not having 'strong' teams

He tried to wish away the FACT that Keshi won the AFCON. Something the 'better' coach with better 'players' is yet to do.

Continue eating the humble pie served cold so that it can continue to turn your belle :taunt:

Failed project with ANC trophy, Confederation tournament and WC 2nd round. When the success project is able to attain anything near that height we can talk!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

imehjunior wrote:Assumed the SE is for the best irrespective of where they play. Abeg make we no carry quota system enter there.
During the 2 weeks they will be camped what happens to their clubs ?
Local clubs always release their players for National Team camping. So nothing new here. For extended periods of camping, players are released to feature in league matches at NFF discretion. Price the clubs pay for the success of the national team.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Adisboy wrote:NFF wey dey always complain of lack of funds. Would the Ministry provide to funds for the extra 2 weeks of camping? I'm willing to bet, just like during Keshi's era, this initiative will fizzle out after 3 or 4 international windows if that.
NFF can source for funds from where they get money to pay Rohr!

I will be so happy if it can fizzle out after delivering the AFCON trophy.

Ghana will do anything for an AFCON trophy in this modern era. 1982 is 38 years ago!

I expect that the camping with at least 'force' the coach to have a look and evaluate home based players. Maybe we can discover another Elephant Slayer like Sunday Mbah :thumbs:
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

the camping should solely be geared toward early prepartion for next CHAN qualifiers.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Gotti wrote:

Maybe it is the ghost of supporting Ivory Coast that is worrying Vancity :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

On a serious note, I see both good and bad in this plan. As a means of grooming and cultivating home-based talent principally for the CHAN teams (with the possibility of uncovering one or two gems for the Super Eagles proper) this is a good thing. However trying to force players into the Super Eagles (which I fear is the ultimate motive behind this) simply because some folks want to see home-based players in the team, or some other folks want to return the chop I chop days is not something that I can support.

There should be no mandates stipulating that home-based players should be in the Super Eagles. Is it the same local league players who half the time are on hiatus and who disgrace us every year in continental competitions that folks want to force on the Super Eagles?

No doubt there is abundant talent in Nigeria but that talent is raw. And rather than doing the things that are necessary to uplift the standard of the Nigerian league, which will in turn uplift the quality of the home-based talent, we want to take short cuts which ultimately lead to nowhere.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Mystic,

While I agree that only those who show enough to be in the NT should be there from HB, the reality is that HB had ben offhandedly ignored in the last few years based on a misconception that no one good can be based at home. The fact is that the development of players is a revolving door ad can never be finished in Nigeria except when boys are banned from the game.

You note that raw talents are the only thing that can be found among HB. Well, why should that be a problem when raw talents are currently being invited from Europe and then groomed in the SE? That led to the SE discovering and developing Maduka Okoye from a lowly division player to where he is today. Was that not the case? If that was okay, why would that not be okay doing the same with HB players?
mystic wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Maybe it is the ghost of supporting Ivory Coast that is worrying Vancity :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

On a serious note, I see both good and bad in this plan. As a means of grooming and cultivating home-based talent principally for the CHAN teams (with the possibility of uncovering one or two gems for the Super Eagles proper) this is a good thing. However trying to force players into the Super Eagles (which I fear is the ultimate motive behind this) simply because some folks want to see home-based players in the team, or some other folks want to return the chop I chop days is not something that I can support.

There should be no mandates stipulating that home-based players should be in the Super Eagles. Is it the same local league players who half the time are on hiatus and who disgrace us every year in continental competitions that folks want to force on the Super Eagles?

No doubt there is abundant talent in Nigeria but that talent is raw. And rather than doing the things that are necessary to uplift the standard of the Nigerian league, which will in turn uplift the quality of the home-based talent, we want to take short cuts which ultimately lead to nowhere.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:Mystic,

While I agree that only those who show enough to be in the NT should be there from HB, the reality is that HB had ben offhandedly ignored in the last few years based on a misconception that no one good can be based at home. The fact is that the development of players is a revolving door ad can never be finished in Nigeria except when boys are banned from the game.

You note that raw talents are the only thing that can be found among HB. Well, why should that be a problem when raw talents are currently being invited from Europe and then groomed in the SE? That led to the SE discovering and developing Maduka Okoye from a lowly division player to where he is today. Was that not the case? If that was okay, why would that not be okay doing the same with HB players?
mystic wrote:
Gotti wrote:

EII,

If they had found a young goalkeeper with 'raw talent' in Nigeria that was worthy of our attention, I would have applauded them for that as well.

On another note, with the Sports Minister raging about the Sierra Leone "embarrassment", why doesn't he equally look into the "embarrassment" that Nigerian clubs put us through every year in Continental competitions? He said that his interference with the Super Eagles is a non issue since they represent Nigeria and he's the minister. So why not apply the same logic to the improvement of the Nigerian league clubs (which is infinitely more important)? Is it that we've simply come to accept the non-performance of our clubsides? Or is it that there's no brown envelope money to be made on the side? And if we've come to accept that our clubsides are not up to scratch, why then mandate that players from these clubs should be in the national team?

The Nigerian league will not magically improve simply because Nigerian league players are in the national team.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The effort should be made to improve the league full stop, and not mandating players. But we must always do things backwards.