A Brief History of The Nigerian Jersey.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kendo
Egg
Egg
A Brief History of The Nigerian Jersey.

Post by kendo »

Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: A Brief History of The Nigerian Jersey.

Post by jette1 »

Ok, floor open
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Hmmm .... so, the narrator says "sackurrrrr" in place of "football" .... and, as I expected the "history of the Nigerian jersey" did not go all the way back to the 1949 Tourists, or to the Colony and Protectorate teams that constantly lost to Gold Coast.

Sarcasm aside, there surely have to be colour photographs (even if rare) of our jerseys from the 40s, 50s and 60s, and if not pictures then at least descriptions in newspapers, books or recorded audio broadcasts that an artist can use to extrapolate what the jerseys looked like? Failing that, em, er, Uncle Ohsee, when you watched the Eagles at King George field in Lagos (the future Onikan), what were they wearing? :) Were there "stands" at the King George, or did you all literally "stand" around the pitch?

I like the fact that Brazil (yellow on blue), France (blue), Italy (blue), Germany (variations on white), Argentina (blue & white stripes) and England (white) have a "traditional" jersey they've used over the decades, even if they change to "new" jerseys from time to time.

I wish we had a traditional jersey, one that you could connect thematically all the way to the beginning, to the Tourists, but the type of thinking that values that sort of thing has never been a hallmark of Nigerian institutions.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The Eagle wrote:
Hmmm .... so, the narrator says "sackurrrrr" in place of "football" .... and, as I expected the "history of the Nigerian jersey" did not go all the way back to the 1949 Tourists, or to the Colony and Protectorate teams that constantly lost to Gold Coast.

Sarcasm aside, there surely have to be colour photographs (even if rare) of our jerseys from the 40s, 50s and 60s, and if not pictures then at least descriptions in newspapers, books or recorded audio broadcasts that an artist can use to extrapolate what the jerseys looked like? Failing that, em, er, Uncle Ohsee, when you watched the Eagles at King George field in Lagos (the future Onikan), what were they wearing? :) Were there "stands" at the King George, or did you all literally "stand" around the pitch?

I like the fact that Brazil (yellow on blue), France (blue), Italy (blue), Germany (variations on white), Argentina (blue & white stripes) and England (white) have a "traditional" jersey they've used over the decades, even if they change to "new" jerseys from time to time.

I wish we had a traditional jersey, one that you could connect thematically all the way to the beginning, to the Tourists, but the type of thinking that values that sort of thing has never been a hallmark of Nigerian institutions.

LOL. Jokes aside, you make some good points and those points reflect my thoughts exactly when I first opened this thread hoping to read about a REAL HISTORY of Nigeria's colors that goes back to the first Nigerian team of 1949. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Nevertheless, let me share the much that I know but I must make it clear that this is by no means irrefutable nor is it certain.

1949 Tourists -- I doubt that this team wore the traditional green and white that we see today given the fact that there was nothing like a Nigerian flag by 1949 when this team undertook the tour of the UK.

1950s until 1959 -- Somewhere in there, this team surely wore red shirts and I have seen photos showing those colors (may have been an artistic rendition considering that color photographs may not have existed much of that period anyway). However, there is credence to the color being red because the team was nicknamed "The Red Devils," at the time, given the color of their shirts. You can read more about this in my first book about the national team which was published in 2001 (The Making of Nigeria's Super Eagles/2001.

Dec 13, 1959 -- Nigeria played against Egypt and because of a color clash, Nigeria was forced to change shirts from red. Nigeria opted for green given that a flag of green and white had been selected for the newly independent nation. Given that the crest also had an Eagle, the team became widely identified as the Green Eagles by 1961. This name was not officially given. Instead, it was popularized by a journalist, Pecos, who frequently wrote on the team for The Daily Times. Rival journalists criticized this team arguing that it made no sense given that there was no Eagle that was really green in color. In any case, the name stuck.

Since then, the team has used a variety of designs with green and white. One that was remarkable was used in the mid-1970s which was a green-and-white zebra design used notably at the 1976 AFCON.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

The Eagle wrote:

Then accept what you already accepted or do something yourself: somebody focused on an era of Nike vs adidas resourcing and kitting Nigeria and you thought he should know the fragmented rudiments of your daydreams but you are good at comics though, true

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

jette1 wrote:
The Eagle wrote:

Then accept what you already accepted or do something yourself: somebody focused on an era of Nike vs adidas resourcing and kitting Nigeria and you thought he should know the fragmented rudiments of your daydreams but you are good at comics though, true
One of these days, you might surprise us all and write a post on this forum that makes a modicum of sense.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

The Eagle wrote:
jette1 wrote:
The Eagle wrote:

One of these days, you might surprise us all and write a post on this forum that makes a modicum of sense.
I see you are the CE chief of condescending people, continue! The content was there for you to create before he did but instead of supporting you get to use passive aggressive humor to act out your deprived childhood experiences. You’re belittling him because they didn’t call it football in his experiences therefore his experience doesn’t meet your standard. angel*!

Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Didn't like the new Nike jerseys at first but they've grown on me.
The 1994 WC jersey still tops my all-time list though.
Worst for me was that ghastly lime green from the 2002 WC.

I also think we should adopt a third colour for our national teams for occasional use. Green and white is quite limiting.
I suggest yellow. I'm a keen advocate of light colors on dark-skinned players.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:Didn't like the new Nike jerseys at first but they've grown on me.

I also think we should adopt a third colour for our national teams for occasional use. Green and white is quite limiting.

Why not go back to the historical color of red that was worn by the team before independence? That way it could be linked somewhat to the past with some modernized design that makes it current.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:Didn't like the new Nike jerseys at first but they've grown on me.

Why not go back to the historical color of red
that was worn by the team before independence? That way it could be linked somewhat to the past with some modernized design that makes it current.
Yeah, I thought of that, but wasn't too keen on red tbh, for several reasons
1. I doubt one can successfully combine red and green without it appearing to be a road smash
2. Red for me doesn't meet my preference for light colours on dark-skinned players
3. Nigeria's superstitious, over-religious population will kick up a big fuss when they discover that the red kit harks back to when the national team were known as the "Red Devils'.
Next thing you will find Pastors and Imams angling to spray 'holy water' on the players before every game.

No thanks, mate. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk,

Now I know you don kolo finish with that no.3 point. You had me in stitches with that but frankly you have a point there. Kai.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Kako wrote:Image
Thanks for posting this ... but I still need Ohsee to tell me if there were "stands" or if he "stood". :)
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Enugu II wrote:LOL. Jokes aside, you make some good points and those points reflect my thoughts exactly when I first opened this thread hoping to read about a REAL HISTORY of Nigeria's colors that goes back to the first Nigerian team of 1949. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Nevertheless, let me share the much that I know but I must make it clear that this is by no means irrefutable nor is it certain.

1949 Tourists -- I doubt that this team wore the traditional green and white that we see today given the fact that there was nothing like a Nigerian flag by 1949 when this team undertook the tour of the UK.

1950s until 1959 -- Somewhere in there, this team surely wore red shirts and I have seen photos showing those colors (may have been an artistic rendition considering that color photographs may not have existed much of that period anyway). However, there is credence to the color being red because the team was nicknamed "The Red Devils," at the time, given the color of their shirts. You can read more about this in my first book about the national team which was published in 2001 (The Making of Nigeria's Super Eagles/2001.

Dec 13, 1959 -- Nigeria played against Egypt and because of a color clash, Nigeria was forced to change shirts from red. Nigeria opted for green given that a flag of green and white had been selected for the newly independent nation. Given that the crest also had an Eagle, the team became widely identified as the Green Eagles by 1961. This name was not officially given. Instead, it was popularized by a journalist, Pecos, who frequently wrote on the team for The Daily Times. Rival journalists criticized this team arguing that it made no sense given that there was no Eagle that was really green in color. In any case, the name stuck.

Since then, the team has used a variety of designs with green and white. One that was remarkable was used in the mid-1970s which was a green-and-white zebra design used notably at the 1976 AFCON.
So I found this article about the jerseys we've worn between 1949 and 2010. There is a picture, which I will try and link .... but if anyone can't see the linked picture, then check it out from the article itself .... SAUCE: https://www.footyheadlines.com/2020/02/ ... -2020.html

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Eagle

Thanks for posting the pictures. That first one, I guess is some rendition.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Chai!
That 1985 strip must be the worst design in world history.
Jeezos! :shock:
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

That 1976 green stripped isn’t bad with this updated version on eBay/ I could picture SE on this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333999176865?c ... 34QAvD_BwE

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

jette1 wrote:That 1976 green stripped isn’t bad with this updated version on eBay/ I could picture SE on this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333999176865?c ... 34QAvD_BwE

I liked it then and I like the updated one that show here.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

So far, Nigeria had four different shirt suppliers - Erima (1980-1984), Admiral (1984-1987), Adidas (1988–1994 & 2002-2014) and Nike (1994–2002 & 2015-present).
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Damunk wrote:Chai!
That 1985 strip must be the worst design in world history.
Jeezos! :shock:
:laugh: It was a bit bland but I doubt it many non playing Nigerian own one,I just want to know what happened from 2000 up until Adidas disappeared!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

furiously frank wrote:
So far, Nigeria had four different shirt suppliers - Erima (1980-1984), Admiral (1984-1987), Adidas (1988–1994 & 2002-2014) and Nike (1994–2002 & 2015-present).
Adidas where lazy and never lived up to the 94 kit that was impressive from the socks to the neck!
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
furiously frank wrote:
Adidas where lazy and never lived up to the 94 kit that was impressive from the socks to the neck!
First question: Were any of our jerseys .... at any point in our history .... designed by an actual Nigerian?

Second question: Of the foreign-designed jerseys .... do we just wear whatever "they" give us, without giving any input in the design process? Do we not have a right of refusal?
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

The Eagle wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
furiously frank wrote:
First question: Were any of our jerseys .... at any point in our history .... designed by an actual Nigerian?

Second question: Of the foreign-designed jerseys .... do we just wear whatever "they" give us, without giving any input in the design process? Do we not have a right of refusal?
I agree with you and I think that interaction with Nigerians and designers is what made Nikes designs since 2018 more aesthetic,I still think that adidas's 94 away kit was one of the best and I own one but Nike showed more effort with the Wembley/Confederations Cup 95 and the Olympic 96 shirt than adidas did in all their attempts and all that happened before Nigerian shirts become a must have item!