FINALLY: Scheduling of Nigerian Local Games Criticized

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
FINALLY: Scheduling of Nigerian Local Games Criticized

Post by Enugu II »

I am glad that people are beginning to point these things out. For years, I have been miffed at the scheduling. People often claim that Nigeria should schedule midweek games, after all it is done in England! This is an annoying comparison and simply reflects a befuddling situation where we tend to copy Europe mindlessly, without consideration of unique situations. Note that travel distances in England is quite short compared to travel distances for clubs in Nigeria. No where in the whole of England is even the distance from Maidugri to Lagos. I have not even pointed out the bad roads in Nigeria and the transportation system and risks involved. Here is just an example:

Southampton to Newcastle = 323 miles
Lagos to Maidugri = 1,542 miles
Yet you want MFM, for example to play a game in Lagos and then midweek in Maidugri? I have not calculated the awful roads and the dangers!
AiteoCup: Consider the players in scheduling, says Eguma
https://www.aclsports.com/aiteocup-cons ... says-eguma

Fisayo Dairo July 20, 2021Football, News, NPFL No Comments

Rivers United head coach Stanley Eguma says the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) must consider the health of players while scheduling matches in the Cup competitions, reports www.aclsports.com

Eguma’s side which lost further grounds on league leaders Akwa United on Sunday after a 1-1 draw in Port Harcourt now face a tough week during which they will play three games in five days.

United arrived Kaduna on Monday night where they will face Jigawa Golden Stars in the league on Wednesday before travelling to Abuja to face Niger Tornadoes in the Cup 48 hours later, a sad development for Eguma.

“It is really unfortunate that we have such a congested fixtures due to the Aiteo Cup. But I think the NFF should have considered our programme to give us a little respite at least for the players to gain some rests,” argued Eguma.

The Nigerian domestic football season faces a race against time to beat the August 8 CAF deadline given to the Nigerian league to send their continental representatives to the continental body.

Rivers United, who also played in the Confederation Cup this season are currently occupying the fifth position on the league table, just two points off continental places and are also in the Aiteo Cup quarter final.

Eguma, a former league and Cup winner says it is too tedious a schedule for his side.

“After playing on Sunday, we leave on Monday to Kaduna. After playing on Wednesday, we leave Kaduna to play in Abuja on Friday.

“After playing in Abuja, we now leave for Port Harcourt again to play a league match on Sunday. It is very very tedious, very very tight for the team and I think it’s not going to help our cause except the LMC and NFF do something about it,” he bemoaned.

Should United beat Niger Tornadoes in the quarter final, they face an even more hectic schedule in the final weeks of the season.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics