Where's DAMUNK?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Where's DAMUNK?

Post by Cellular »

hestonap wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:05 pm Personally I think Rohr sucks and would rate him only slightly higher than Vogts. I don’t think he should have been hired in the 1st place and If I had my way, he should have been sacked after the WC in Russia.

For the record so I am not accused of lacking objectivity, Rohr conducted the most impressive WCQ campaign the Eagles ever successfully did. That earned him the right to take the team to Russia. The moment he failed to go past the 1st round, he should have been sacked.

But we are where we are and knowing how attention to fine details is not exactly laced into our DNA as Nigerians never mind the NFF, I’d say leave the man be for now unless we truly have a proven coach who is willing to work for free, allow his team play on rubbish pitches, put up with our NFF shenanigans etc. Since we know no coach worth his name, dime and reputation will take us up on that offer, I say let Rohr be.

For a bit of context, clamouring for an Eagles coach to be sacked in the midst of a qualification series or prior to a major competition is a very Nigerian norm.

How many remember Westerhof’s head been called for leading up to CAN/WC 94 after qualifications. I remember write ups in Complete Football outrightly calling for his outright dismissal to talks about engaging an assistant.

I remember how that particular WCQ campaign threw up a whole industry of eloquent ‘football analysts’ the Dudu Orumens of this world, regurgitated known names like Mitchell Obi, Paul Bassey, Dalandi Bako, etc. I also remember folks in the print Complete football and it’s sister publication International Soccer Review- Tijani, Sunny Ojeagbase, Solaja etc

Unfortunately those were the days before the internet became readily available so there are no easy archives to turn to.

In fact, I recall the late Alex Akinyele as NSC chairman or was it Sports Minister ‘stormed’ into the dressing room in Oran, Algeria at the final WCQ. Game in 1993 at half time to express his apparent disdain for how ‘badly’ the Eagles were playing, including threatening to have Westerhof fired, until he himself was sacked by the late Abacha.

How many here remember Philippe Troussier qualified Nigeria with one game to spare for WC98 but somehow got kicked off because folks were unhappy with how his team played and we ended up with Bora. The rest as they say is history.

We are well versed with chronicles of Amodu 1.0 and 2.0

Even the big boss had his own battles leading up to Brazil. We know how the NFF allegedly were negotiating with another to take his place before a quarter final game against CIV.

Push it a bit further, some would argue we probably would have been at WC90 instead of Milla et al if the then NFA had left Hamilton in place rather than have Westerhof in at the last minute.

The most Nigerian football thing to do is to advocate for change when we are not prepared to manage the said change effectively. Our history proves it very conclusively if I may say so.

Once again I do not think Rohr is good enough for Nigeria. I think he is like Sam Alladyce, good at keeping relegation bound teams from going under. Once in a while he may stumble upon an Okocha that lets his team into the finals off a 3rd rate cup final. But no serious team with aspirations beyond keeping their neck above water will give him a job. The gods really smiled on England that he went after a game. What a bloody lucky nation in footballing terms that is.

Rohr is in the mould of Alladyce. Good for 2nd rate footballing nations but not for a serious nation.

We may by passion be a ‘first’ nation in footballing terms but our administration of the game is 4th rate. We suck phat balls and many of us in our hearts know it. Hence Rohr is our man.

Let’s be honest with ourselves we can only truly pitch at his level.

Almost 30 years after making our World Cup debut and years of having had the opportunity of exposing ourselves to the best, the fundamentals of our game and administration remain the same - fine we won the WC for best jersey. Coaches aren’t paid. Pitches are an embarrassment. Bonuses are not paid on time. NFF administrators allegedly trying got influence player selection etc.

So please leave Rohr in place. We honestly can not do any better. This is truly our footballing level.

For the avoidance of doubt, leading up to match day, I will put on my and support my GWG but I learnt a long time ago to detach my emotions as best possible from Nigerian football. I remain an Eagles fan, with many scars of painful and self sabotaging defeats to prove it as I believe most here.

So let’s be very honest with ourselves. What is it in our knowledge and administration of the game beyond the 11 men we l in E up at a particular point in time that truly entitles us to call ourselves elites of the sport.

We have enough history to let you know 90% of the time we get it wrong and every now and again the stars somehow align for us.

Here’s hoping to another alignment but please don’t hold your breath. We are once again likely about to underachieve with a bunch of players available to us and somehow we are not and won’t be able to do anything about it.

It’s like watching a tragedy unfolding in real time and you can diddly squat about it.
Oga, thank you for agreeing he is there for none footballing reasons. :taunt: :D
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

Cellular wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:52 pm
hestonap wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:05 pm Personally I think Rohr sucks and would rate him only slightly higher than Vogts. I don’t think he should have been hired in the 1st place and If I had my way, he should have been sacked after the WC in Russia.

For the record so I am not accused of lacking objectivity, Rohr conducted the most impressive WCQ campaign the Eagles ever successfully did. That earned him the right to take the team to Russia. The moment he failed to go past the 1st round, he should have been sacked.

But we are where we are and knowing how attention to fine details is not exactly laced into our DNA as Nigerians never mind the NFF, I’d say leave the man be for now unless we truly have a proven coach who is willing to work for free, allow his team play on rubbish pitches, put up with our NFF shenanigans etc. Since we know no coach worth his name, dime and reputation will take us up on that offer, I say let Rohr be.

For a bit of context, clamouring for an Eagles coach to be sacked in the midst of a qualification series or prior to a major competition is a very Nigerian norm.

How many remember Westerhof’s head been called for leading up to CAN/WC 94 after qualifications. I remember write ups in Complete Football outrightly calling for his outright dismissal to talks about engaging an assistant.

I remember how that particular WCQ campaign threw up a whole industry of eloquent ‘football analysts’ the Dudu Orumens of this world, regurgitated known names like Mitchell Obi, Paul Bassey, Dalandi Bako, etc. I also remember folks in the print Complete football and it’s sister publication International Soccer Review- Tijani, Sunny Ojeagbase, Solaja etc

Unfortunately those were the days before the internet became readily available so there are no easy archives to turn to.

In fact, I recall the late Alex Akinyele as NSC chairman or was it Sports Minister ‘stormed’ into the dressing room in Oran, Algeria at the final WCQ. Game in 1993 at half time to express his apparent disdain for how ‘badly’ the Eagles were playing, including threatening to have Westerhof fired, until he himself was sacked by the late Abacha.

How many here remember Philippe Troussier qualified Nigeria with one game to spare for WC98 but somehow got kicked off because folks were unhappy with how his team played and we ended up with Bora. The rest as they say is history.

Even the big boss had his own battles leading up to Brazil. We know how the NFF allegedly were negotiating with another to take his place before a quarter final game against CIV.

Push it a bit further, some would argue we probably would have been at WC90 instead of Milla et al if the then NFA had left Hamilton in place rather than have Westerhof in at the last minute.

The most Nigerian football thing to do is to advocate for change when we are not prepared to manage the said change effectively. Our history proves it very conclusively if I may say so.

Once again I do not think Rohr is good enough for Nigeria. I think he is like Sam Alladyce, good at keeping relegation bound teams from going under. Once in a while he may stumble upon an Okocha that lets his team into the finals off a 3rd rate cup final. But no serious team with aspirations beyond keeping their neck above water will give him a job. The gods really smiled on England that he went after a game. What a bloody lucky nation in footballing terms that is.

Rohr is in the mould of Alladyce. Good for 2nd rate footballing nations but not for a serious nation.

We may by passion be a ‘first’ nation in footballing terms but our administration of the game is 4th rate. We suck phat balls and many of us in our hearts know it. Hence Rohr is our man.

Almost 30 years after making our World Cup debut and years of having had the opportunity of exposing ourselves to the best, the fundamentals of our game and administration remain the same - fine we won the WC for best jersey. Coaches aren’t paid. Pitches are an embarrassment. Bonuses are not paid on time. NFF administrators allegedly trying got influence player selection etc.

So please leave Rohr in place. We honestly can not do any better. This is truly our footballing level.

For the avoidance of doubt, leading up to match day, I will put on my and support my GWG but I learnt a long time ago to detach my emotions as best possible from Nigerian football. I remain an Eagles fan, with many scars of painful and self sabotaging defeats to prove it as I believe most here.

So let’s be very honest with ourselves. What is it in our knowledge and administration of the game beyond the 11 men we l in E up at a particular point in time that truly entitles us to call ourselves elites of the sport.

We have enough history to let you know 90% of the time we get it wrong and every now and again the stars somehow align for us.

Here’s hoping to another alignment but please don’t hold your breath. We are once again likely about to underachieve with a bunch of players available to us and somehow we are not and won’t be able to do anything about it.

It’s like watching a tragedy unfolding in real time and you can diddly squat about it.
Oga, thank you for agreeing he is there for none footballing reasons. :taunt: :D
Big uncle me I know book O, but I know say I be Nigerian and I know our people :sneaky:
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

This is not a case of the usual suspects. Many that are calling for his head did not do so once we had the first poor result. As you have mentioned, he is clearly not taking us anyway. It is not just a question of style. Nigerian fans have been very patient with Rohr and he is past his "sell by" date with the SE.

I have fond memories of that impressive 2018 WCQ campaign and I like the man personally. However, as a fan I think he should go. I'm not the NFF so if they decide to keep him I will still support his teams and praise him when he does well (like on Sunday). If he surprises me and wins the AFCON, then he would have proven me wrong and should definitely continue. But we have to start thinking about his successor, sooner (as I prefer) or after the World Cup (as you probably prefer)
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

hestonap wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:12 am
Cellular wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:52 pm
Big uncle me I know book O, but I know say I be Nigerian and I know our people :sneaky:
Oga, how can my teesha tok say im no know book? Mba nu.

I jos wish you had more time to post like my other teesha, Professor Ohsee.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:21 pm
Lolly wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:47 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:25 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:36 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:35 am
txj wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:32 pm
The above is the sort of stupidity you have patented on CE for over a decade!

I mean unadulterated idiocy!!!!!!!!

WTF difference does it make if you are average and posting poor results under an LC or FC?

Do you get slightly more points for being average under an LC?

When will you get off this retarded FC/LC mindset?

The irony is that you and ur fellow travellers failed to support Oliseh and Siasia, even though they are LCs, b/c it seems some LCs are more local than others!!!
I’ve said all too often that substituting abuse in place of arguments is a fatal sign of the lack of competence to form a logical opinion. Have you stopped to consider the huge gap in pay between FCs and LCs? For a cash-strapped organization like the NFF, shouldn’t that be a major consideration in deciding what sort of a coach to hire? The real stupidity here belongs with the NFF for agreeing to pay all that money for a coach who is no better than the average Nigerian coach❗️

Cheers.
Just FYI… “all that money” being paid Rohr isn’t much different from what was paid to Oliseh and Keshi.
It sounds like you are suggesting that LESS should be paid to a full SE coach, simply because he is Nigerian. :rotf:
Yet here we are, shedding tears how the NFF treat our local coaches poorly.

You see why your case no get part 2?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You started out with a bold faced lie and followed it up with the must ridiculous conjecture I’ve ever heard. First of all, Rohr currently makes 4 times what either Keshi or oliseh were being paid. Secondly, the NFF pays foreign coaches a lot more than local coaches. I’m not suggesting it. It’s just fact, one that you are very well aware of but are too deceitful to acknowledge🙂❗️

Cheers.
Don't be quick to make such statements without the facts. Now let's look at some facts...

Keshi was paid N5m per month in 2013 and it was increased to N7m per month in 2014. Keshi initially wanted N15m per month after his "success" at the World Cup but the NFF negotiated it down to N7m per month. You can work out how much that came to in USD back then. And the full money was for Keshi only, not including payment for any personal assistants.

Now Rohr started off earning $47,000 per month in 2016. And that figure also included the salaries of his 3 personal assistants (an adviser, a fitness trainer and a video analyzer). And he then took a pay cut in the new contract that he signed last year but the figure is not public.
Who’s making statements without facts, you or I?

As of 2014, Keshi’s reported salary was N5,000,000 monthly, same as Amodu. Late in 2014, after the World Cup, it was reported that Keshi had, in principle, agreed to a contract renewal worth N7,000,000 monthly. The renewal was supposed to go into effect in January of 2015 but that rumor was never officially confirmed.

Now, Rohr’s current salary is reportedly €45,000 ($49,000) monthly. On April 29, 2020, ESPN reported that Rohr was willing to accept a pay cut from his $55,000 monthly salary to remain coach of the SuperEagles. Based on reports of his current salary, it would appear he did take a $6.000 monthly pay cut. For the sake of argument, let’s assume that your figures are correct and that Rohr does make $47,000 monthly. That, using the current exchange rate, translates to N19,306,190 (N26,790, 000 in the black market) monthly. Isn’t that 3 to 4 times Keshi’s purported salary of N7,000,000 and 4 to 5 times Amodu’s salary? Perhaps, you are privy to other facts that I’m not aware of? If not, what the heck are you and your mutual lackey Damunk talking about❓🤷🏾‍♀️❗️

Cheers.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You guys are full of it. Now I know you are not being sincere. When Oliseh made the same statement you made 20 months ago, which exchange rate did he use?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:21 pm Who’s making statements without facts, you or I?

As of 2014, Keshi’s reported salary was N5,000,000 monthly, same as Amodu. Late in 2014, after the World Cup, it was reported that Keshi had, in principle, agreed to a contract renewal worth N7,000,000 monthly. The renewal was supposed to go into effect in January of 2015 but that rumor was never officially confirmed.

Now, Rohr’s current salary is reportedly €45,000 ($49,000) monthly. On April 29, 2020, ESPN reported that Rohr was willing to accept a pay cut from his $55,000 monthly salary to remain coach of the SuperEagles. Based on reports of his current salary, it would appear he did take a $6.000 monthly pay cut. For the sake of argument, let’s assume that your figures are correct and that Rohr does make $47,000 monthly. That, using the current exchange rate, translates to N19,306,190 (N26,790, 000 in the black market) monthly. Isn’t that 3 to 4 times Keshi’s purported salary of N7,000,000 and 4 to 5 times Amodu’s salary? Perhaps, you are privy to other facts that I’m not aware of? If not, what the heck are you and your mutual lackey Damunk talking about❓🤷🏾‍♀️❗️
Cheers.
Chai! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Fabio, please kindly come and help your uncle out because at this juncture I rest my case. :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

What a long and pathetic post from hestonap. So do not fire the coach because of what....smh....Bonfere was fired.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:21 am But we have to start thinking about his successor, sooner (as I prefer) or after the World Cup (as you probably prefer)
Okay, agreed.
So what type of CV would a potential successor need to have in your book?
Because we have to match expectations with reality.

The 'expectations' being:
1. Who we NEED to engage
2. What he is expected to achieve
3. What we define as 'failure'.
Let's do the hard thinking NOW and see where we get.

Bigporkey...you are also free to offer your widely acknowledged expertise on this very crucial matter. :D
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:33 pm

1. Who we NEED to engage

Bigporkey...you are also free to offer your widely acknowledged expertise on this very crucial matter. :D
Let's copy what the two most successfully SE coaches did (Westerhof and Keshi).

The coaches must live or spend the majority of their time in the country. This part time coaching arrangement with Rohr and the Super Falcons coach should end (they arrive a week before the national team plays and fly out after the game).

The coach must harness the talents at playing in Nigeria and the Africa. i.e. the home based team built by Keshi, which played friendly matches.

This idea of dismissing all home based players (which is prevalent with the Rohr hawks) should stop. We have spend too much time and resources chasing players with Nigerian heritage in the hope they would magically change the team or Morocco and Algeria are doing it. A dual approach must be implemented.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

fabio wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:06 pm

1. Who we NEED to engage

The coaches must live or spend the majority of their time in the country. This part time coaching arrangement with Rohr and the Super Falcons coach should end (they arrive a week before the national team plays and fly out after the game).

The coach must harness the talents at playing in Nigeria and the Africa. i.e. the home based team built by Keshi, which played friendly matches.

This idea of dismissing all home based players (which is prevalent with the Rohr hawks) should stop. We have spend too much time and resources chasing players with Nigerian heritage in the hope they would magically change the team or Morocco and Algeria are doing it. A dual approach must be implemented.
Fabio,

The reality is that it will not happen and certainly not with the current NFF set up. Bear in mind that the current scout is based in Europe and scouts Europe almost exclusively. Bear in mind, the current NFF leadership is squarely focused not just on Europe but on what is defined as those fully educated in Europe's academies. Given all the above, who will be the one negotiating to have the NT resident in Nigeria? The same NFF?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

So nobody yet has any ideas on my questions?

1. Who we NEED to engage

:idea:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:06 pm

1. Who we NEED to engage

Fabiyoyo, I don't think your suggestions answer my hard questions in any way.
Are you suggesting that once the new coach meets your stated criteria, all is or will be well?
No yardsticks?

I ask because you are quoting my questions but didn't address a single one of them. :idea: