Bring all international football back to the Eagles Nest

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Bring all international football back to the Eagles Nest

Post by Cellular »

Orion wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:10 pm
Cellular wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:48 pm
Orion wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:24 pm
Cellular wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:54 pm SMDH

There's a feature known as "STRICTLY FOOTBALL" that aggregates the football subforums into one.

Eagles Nest remains for the Eagles.

If you want to read an aggregate of other football topics then click on "Strictly football"!
That feature is not obvious, hence not effective if we go by the result. The forum is dying and most people who previously discussed African football here have left.

It's not just about having a feature, but whether it's effective in growing this community. Growing the community and attracting more members should be a goal too. If we don't, it'll just be a steady decline.

All I'm asking is to go partly back to a format that has been successful in the past. CE was a much more vibrant and diverse place then.
Eagles Nest as the name implies is about all things Naija football.

We have an International Football subforum.

We also have the ability for those who don't want to go to different forums to discuss football, to have them aggregate the two forums into a "Strictly Football" subsection. You get the same thing you are asking for.

I can't go to an Arsenal forum and be discussing African Worldcup qualifiers or the impact of EPL on African WCQ.

In fact, as an American football fan, my team fan site won't allow posts about other teams in the same division. They will move it to the rest of the NFL. Folks know the rule and they abide by it. Here we are talking about "convenience"? For whom?
The feature may seem obvious to you, but it is clearly not working in helping to grow this community.

I don't know if you're in business, but it's not about what is obvious or logical to you. It's about how others are responding to it. That is the real test. I once had a website where everything was working perfectly every time I tested it, but people kept reporting issues. It turned out from the logs that they were making mistakes. I had to look at why so many people were making a mistake and take responsibility for reorganizing things to cater for that.

The Strictly Soccer thing was not even obvious to me and I'm a mod here.

Instead of changing a working formula because of a small vocal minority, why not do the reverse and create a feature that can filter Nigerian football for those who only want to see threads on Nigerian football?
You see?!

The reason my first response to your thread was to say, "SMDH". You are a moderator but you didn't deem it fit to explore all the functionalities of the site?

You talk about changing a working formula, then you haven't been paying attention. Eagles Nest was being overrun by non-Naijarian related content and turning us to an EPL centric site. the site discusses other football but we decided to go back to our roots of concentrating on discussing Naija footie in the main forum. We also accommodated those who want to discuss other football by giving them their own subforum, plus the ability for them to view ALL football content by clicking the "Strictly Football" (where all football content can be viewed as one page).

But you want us to change to where it was before... you want the tail to wag the dog?

The main discussion site is Eagles Nest for a reason.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Cellular wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:48 pm You see?!

The reason my first response to your thread was to say, "SMDH". You are a moderator but you didn't deem it fit to explore all the functionalities of the site?

You talk about changing a working formula, then you haven't been paying attention. Eagles Nest was being overrun by non-Naijarian related content and turning us to an EPL centric site. the site discusses other football but we decided to go back to our roots of concentrating on discussing Naija footie in the main forum. We also accommodated those who want to discuss other football by giving them their own subforum, plus the ability for them to view ALL football content by clicking the "Strictly Football" (where all football content can be viewed as one page).

But you want us to change to where it was before... you want the tail to wag the dog?

You mean overrun by European league football? I didn't ask for European league football to be moved back here. I specifically said in my OP that European leagues can stay in another subforum.

Regarding Strictly Soccer, you're not listening to what I'm saying. I'm a voice for many visitors of this site for which that feature is not obvious. And not even to me as a mod here. Listen to us. You shouldn't just wave it off as the fault of visitors. We need to take ownership of that and create something more intuitive and user friendly.

I don't see how discussing other African teams will disrupt discussing Nigerian football in EN. Most of the time we're playing matches during the same window, in the same competitions, like the current World Cup qualifiers.

Even one of the complainers - 1Naija - has admitted that you guys overreacted by removing all African football from EN.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Orion wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:40 am

You mean overrun by European league football? I didn't ask for European league football to be moved back here. I specifically said in my OP that European leagues can stay in another subforum.

Regarding Strictly Soccer, you're not listening to what I'm saying. I'm a voice for many visitors of this site for which that feature is not obvious. And not even to me as a mod here. Listen to us. You shouldn't just wave it off as the fault of visitors. We need to take ownership of that and create something more intuitive and user friendly.

I don't see how discussing other African teams will disrupt discussing Nigerian football in EN. Most of the time we're playing matches during the same window, in the same competitions, like the current World Cup qualifiers.

Even one of the complainers - 1Naija - has admitted that you guys overreacted by removing all African football from EN.
Orion

Right now you can discuss African football in the non-Nigerian football forum. We should go back to a situation where this forum loses focus on OUR SUPER EAGLES. What we need do is work on how to attract new audience to the Super eagles but you don't do that via dilution. What we need to think of are exciting ways to get new audience here to check out the super eagles and not general African football or whatever else. We should be proudly focused on that.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Cellular wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:54 pmSMDH

There's a feature known as "STRICTLY FOOTBALL" that aggregates the football subforums into one.

If you want to read an aggregate of other football topics then click on "Strictly football"!
Enugu II wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:07 pm👍👍👍👍This is a site strictly for Nigerian football. If someone wants to talk non-Nigerian football, there are numerous options other than a site dedicated to Nigerian football. I also participate in such discussions but I respect the goal of this site.
Lolly wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:41 pm We must have a separate Nigerian football sub forum like we have now. No debating.
BLESS all of una! :agree:

Personally, I lost significant interest in CE when it became an online beer-parlor for all manner of discourse largely IRRELEVANT to Nigerian football.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Orion wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:40 am

It is a Nigerian football forum. If you want to discuss Mali, Egypt or Algeria why can't you do that on World Football?
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:49 pm
Orion wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:10 pm
deanotito wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:29 pm I said it then and I’ll say it now. That move was a mistake. As you said, it was catering to a very small but very vocal minority.

Not just international football. Bring the club football back too
I've asked in the past for CE members to be given the opportunity to vote on this.

I'm sure Cellular won't put this to a vote because it'll reveal that the people who want this isolated forum are a minority. :sneaky:
It is crazy to ask for a vote. An appropriate vote should not be one with a possibility of removing a FOCUS ON SUPER EAGLES on a SUPER EAGLES SITE. That just does not make sense. If you want a vote it should be whether or not a sub-forum should be allowed at all on other football that is not Super Eagles. That is what such a vote should be limited to. Ask yourself this, if you vote for a Super Eagles site to be mixed with other football why then even have the sire as a Super Eagles sit? It does not make sense.
IMO, you guys just don’t understand product/marketing. You choose to be doctrinaire while your choices are killing your “business”. A thriving Eagles Nest - in and out of international football season - is the best thing for Cybereagles. Having the place go flat in the months long breaks for international football is needless and an entirely self-inflicted wound
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Cellular wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:48 pm
Orion wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:10 pm
Cellular wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:48 pm

That feature is not obvious, hence not effective if we go by the result. The forum is dying and most people who previously discussed African football here have left.

It's not just about having a feature, but whether it's effective in growing this community. Growing the community and attracting more members should be a goal too. If we don't, it'll just be a steady decline.

All I'm asking is to go partly back to a format that has been successful in the past. CE was a much more vibrant and diverse place then.
Eagles Nest as the name implies is about all things Naija football.

We have an International Football subforum.

We also have the ability for those who don't want to go to different forums to discuss football, to have them aggregate the two forums into a "Strictly Football" subsection. You get the same thing you are asking for.

I can't go to an Arsenal forum and be discussing African Worldcup qualifiers or the impact of EPL on African WCQ.

In fact, as an American football fan, my team fan site won't allow posts about other teams in the same division. They will move it to the rest of the NFL. Folks know the rule and they abide by it. Here we are talking about "convenience"? For whom?
The feature may seem obvious to you, but it is clearly not working in helping to grow this community.

I don't know if you're in business, but it's not about what is obvious or logical to you. It's about how others are responding to it. That is the real test. I once had a website where everything was working perfectly every time I tested it, but people kept reporting issues. It turned out from the logs that they were making mistakes. I had to look at why so many people were making a mistake and take responsibility for reorganizing things to cater for that.

The Strictly Soccer thing was not even obvious to me and I'm a mod here.

Instead of changing a working formula because of a small vocal minority, why not do the reverse and create a feature that can filter Nigerian football for those who only want to see threads on Nigerian football?
You see?!

Mass market appeal is not about forcing consumers to “explore” out of the way features. It’s about making the best of this forum available to most of the “market”. CE spent decades in the old format and grew that way…but all of a sudden, you guys wanted to make it scientifically clinical? Una do well
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

KPOM! There are things Facebook could do today that it’s critics would love. Things that would make a lot of clinical sense…but would ultimately kill its business. Making Eagles Nest seasonal - only coming alive during international football breaks - is/was/forever will be a mistake.

If I want to discuss Arsenal, there are better, more informed forums. But if I want to discuss Arsenal & Nigeria with minimal hassle, there is no better forum. Why we chose to blast this advantage to smithereens is beyond me
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

deanotito wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:24 am

KPOM! There are things Facebook could do today that it’s critics would love. Things that would make a lot of clinical sense…but would ultimately kill its business. Making Eagles Nest seasonal - only coming alive during international football breaks - is/was/forever will be a mistake.

If I want to discuss Arsenal, there are better, more informed forums. But if I want to discuss Arsenal & Nigeria with minimal hassle, there is no better forum. Why we chose to blast this advantage to smithereens is beyond me
The current arrangement gives those that want purely Nigerian content on a Nigerian forum what they want. It also gives those that want to see all football content together an option to do so. I think it is fair and balanced.

There is nothing to suggest that having a forum dedicated to Nigerian football will lead to its demise. Club forums are also quieter in the off season and fans make up by discussing players and upcoming games.

CE on the whole (not just EN) needs to attract new and younger formers. Even Rant and Rave is not as vibrant. You cannot blame it on the restriction of EN yo Nigerian football.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:11 am

The current arrangement gives those that want purely Nigerian content on a Nigerian forum what they want. It also gives those that want to see all football content together an option to do so. I think it is fair and balanced.

There is nothing to suggest that having a forum dedicated to Nigerian football will lead to its demise. Club forums are also quieter in the off season and fans make up by discussing players and upcoming games.

CE on the whole (not just EN) needs to attract new and younger formers. Even Rant and Rave is not as vibrant. You cannot blame it on the restriction of EN yo Nigerian football.
I think it will be severely damaging watering down a FOCUS ON NIGERIAN FOOTBALL. I can argue that the focus on European football which threatened to overwhelm Super Eagles material a few months ago was steadily killing this site. Several left because of that coup by foreign football advocates.

To attract a younger audience to discourse on Nigerian football, many will not disagree, should be what we should think of. This should be video-based. The clock is ticking on that. It should be akin to what Kelechi (?) does with Arsenal or what several are now doing with the Super Eagles. It does not necessarily have to be exact. Damunk, as well as others who offered their Zoom accounts, have been helpful with this by helping get the NFF VP here. We have the capability, based on several connections, to attract bigwigs of Nigerian football here with such programming.

However, the above requires a dedicated Zoom account and dedicated hosts. This has a leg up somewhat to yje Arsenal program and the various other video programs in atlas two ways: (1) Fan involvement is more interactive and accessible, and (2) it can attract key figures of Nigerian football.

The point made by Deanotito is a very important one. It is challenging keeping an engagement here especially with the national team playing few times annually. However, the injection of news on Nigerian football fills that gap. Interviews of notables, with CE member participation, can also be helpful. There could also be other events all focused on Nigerian football.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:32 pm Caf Competitions and coverage of African teams should be brought back to EN but no Euro leagues abeg.
Agree! :agree: :agree: :agree:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

Post by uglyoneiamagain »

There are commendable and reasonable views by both sides of the divide on this issue.

Do they traffic logs show a significant loss of site visits after the changes? I know on a personal level, I have noticed how stagnant topics are on both EN & WF and wondered if I wasn’t hitting the refresh button enough. Even logged in at some point when I wondered if the content was limited for just unregistered viewers. Based on that, I’d say we have less traffic and maybe somewhat a less vibrant site than what we had. Also thought the world has changed in the past year and priorities may vary now for every individual and may not have anything to do with the site.

If the single goal is to have a site for just Nigerian football, that’s totally fine but if we also want to make it appealing to others, the way we drew them in the past, we may either go back to how things were (assuming the old members will come back) or expand on this new format like some have said with visual media and other things (to attract both old and new members to be).

If we are content with lower traffic then we leave it as it is (assuming logs show lower traffic compared to past years). It’s not a profit generating/website so the focus will understandably be different compared to others.

We can resolve this with proper discourse with concerned members. A middle ground of sorts may be the answer. We need to be open to many ways of skinning the cat to have the site at an optimum (again this all depends on what we want to achieve here).
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Why are you so focused on making this about European football? Almost everyone here agreed with the decision to remove European league football discussion here. Left for me, it should have been banned completely. But that's not the issue here. How does discussing other African teams games during qualifiers take away from discussing Nigerian football? You guys are sounding like Kodak, that was so inflexible about modern technology to the extent they lost everything. You all want people to go to Strictly soccer forum to discuss African football, but don't follow the same rules when promoting personal blogs here. Personal blogs should be posted and promoted on the Tinubu Square forum if we want to go by the books, yet we promote it on Eagles Nest and Rant and Rave.

We should be open to ideas and suggestions from all members!

Enugu II wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:53 am
aruako1 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:11 am

I think it will be severely damaging watering down a FOCUS ON NIGERIAN FOOTBALL. I can argue that the focus on European football which threatened to overwhelm Super Eagles material a few months ago was steadily killing this site. Several left because of that coup by foreign football advocates.

To attract a younger audience to discourse on Nigerian football, many will not disagree, should be what we should think of. This should be video-based. The clock is ticking on that. It should be akin to what Kelechi (?) does with Arsenal or what several are now doing with the Super Eagles. It does not necessarily have to be exact. Damunk, as well as others who offered their Zoom accounts, have been helpful with this by helping get the NFF VP here. We have the capability, based on several connections, to attract bigwigs of Nigerian football here with such programming.

However, the above requires a dedicated Zoom account and dedicated hosts. This has a leg up somewhat to yje Arsenal program and the various other video programs in atlas two ways: (1) Fan involvement is more interactive and accessible, and (2) it can attract key figures of Nigerian football.

The point made by Deanotito is a very important one. It is challenging keeping an engagement here especially with the national team playing few times annually. However, the injection of news on Nigerian football fills that gap. Interviews of notables, with CE member participation, can also be helpful. There could also be other events all focused on Nigerian football.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

I agree..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

deanotito wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:05 amIMO, you guys just don’t understand product/marketing. You choose to be doctrinaire while your choices are killing your “business”. A thriving Eagles Nest - in and out of international football season - is the best thing for Cybereagles. Having the place go flat in the months long breaks for international football is needless and an entirely self-inflicted wound
deanotito wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:09 amMass market appeal is not about forcing consumers to “explore” out of the way features. It’s about making the best of this forum available to most of the “market”. CE spent decades in the old format and grew that way…but all of a sudden, you guys wanted to make it scientifically clinical? Una do well
What is CE supposed to be "mass marketing"? And when exactly did CE become a "business"?
CE is purely a place for lovers of Nigerian football to congregate (without ads nor other annoying algorithm-ized crap).

If I recall correctly, it was the desire to make "profit" from CE that turned several folks against Ayo Akinfe...
Any "down period" on CE is no different from European leagues' off-season. Use it to enjoy your family, work and LIFE in general!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle, some people here do not have the highlighted. Bigpokey, Kongi, and Yemibrassiere, just to name a few, are prime examples...
Gotti wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:02 am
deanotito wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:05 amIMO, you guys just don’t understand product/marketing. You choose to be doctrinaire while your choices are killing your “business”. A thriving Eagles Nest - in and out of international football season - is the best thing for Cybereagles. Having the place go flat in the months long breaks for international football is needless and an entirely self-inflicted wound
deanotito wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:09 amMass market appeal is not about forcing consumers to “explore” out of the way features. It’s about making the best of this forum available to most of the “market”. CE spent decades in the old format and grew that way…but all of a sudden, you guys wanted to make it scientifically clinical? Una do well
What is CE supposed to be "mass marketing"? And when exactly did CE become a "business"?
CE is purely a place for lovers of Nigerian football to congregate (without ads nor other annoying algorithm-ized crap).

If I recall correctly, it was the desire to make "profit" from CE that turned several folks against Ayo Akinfe...
Any "down period" on CE is no different from European leagues' off-season. Use it to enjoy your family, work and LIFE in general!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Purity wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:32 pmI agree..
A legit, real life Nigerian sports journalist agrees.

So I wasn't talking out of my a$$ after all. :)

Cellular, which one? :wink:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

In fairness to Uncle cellulite, you don't know what uncle purity agreed to. He could be agreeing to cellulite also. Not trying to do oversabi, but .... :D
Orion wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:51 pm

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

He didn't quote any post so I'm assuming he's responding to the OP. But now that you've said it, I won't put it past Cellular to contact him behind the scenes and get him to change his intentions. :)
1naija wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:33 pm In fairness to Uncle cellulite, you don't know what uncle purity agreed to. He could be agreeing to cellulite also. Not trying to do oversabi, but .... :D
Orion wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:51 pm