Onuachu vs Awoniyi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Re: Onuachu vs Awoniyi

Post by Otitokoro »

Focusing on the highlighted in your post:

Iheanacho - dude has been mediocre over the past 5 games. Piss poor. He can't shoot on target, a joke with deadballs (all of his corner kicks or freekicks have been embarrassing), low energy on the field and misplaces passes. Honestly, he needs to be excused from the team to get himself together, as he really does not fit into any formation we have, be it 433 or 352. I think his so-called 'senior man' nickname has gotten into his head and he has become a hinderance to the dynamic and balance of the team.

Moffi - kid is young and will get there. There was a marked improvement in his performance vs. Cape Verde as opposed to his cameo vs Liberia (his debut). He will become a force to reckon with very soon.

Awoniyi - how anyone can state that someone is 'not it', after debuting for the SE and playing for 45 mins vs. CAR is beyond me. Dude pretty much changed the tempo of the game after his coming in for the hapless Iheanacho, with him infusing more energy and bite into the attack.

**(Its funny how similar comments were made about Ejuke when he first debuted almost a year ago vs Tunisia and was written off. Now, he is the golden child of Nigerian football. Moral of the story is: Never, ever judge a player based on his first match for a team. I made a similar mistake with Frank Onyeka and he proved me wrong, big time. He is a solid addition to our SE).

Sadiq - everyone now believes he is 'the chosen one', until he plays and then we realize he is hardly any better than the current options. I will reserve my opinions of him till he debuts.
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:10 pm I agree that Sadiq is more like Osimehn than Onuachu.

Here lies the problem.

Our squad will have 3 or 4 strikers max (including Nacho)

It's really about what type of striker you want.

Nacho is a support striker, a player who cannot realisticly play in a 433

Then we have Osimehn our bona-fide #9 starter.

If Onuachu is the guy that "brings us something different"

Then who is our genuine backup to Osimehn ? I will tell you all that is something Rohr needs to figure out, and fast.

Onuachu for me should not be starting matches. Ever. The team has never played well with him as a starter, and he doesn't give us what we get with Osimehn.

Do we want to waste a squad position on a player who is not suited to start games but will only make late cameos. Or would we be better suited with a more dynamic striker or even an extra midfield position (which Rohr always lacks)

As for Osimehns direct replacement.

Moffi hasn't really taken his opportunity, even though they have been few.

Ditto for Awoniyi.

Frankly I think Sadiq is that man, the plus side he has over Osimehn is his dribbling and playmaking abilities, something I think SE will really benefit from. We haven't played with that kind of striker for a while.

So I would go

#1 Osimehn- main striker
#2 Nacho- support striker in a 352
#3 Sadiq- Osimehns replacement
#4 Onuachu- Brings us something different from bench

Now the #4 striker position I may drop for an extra dynamic midfielder, or a good winger, depending on the players available.

I would rather have an extra spot in midfield for a player like Ejaria or Alhassan Yusuf, than Onuachu if it came between them.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Otitokoro wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:37 pm Focusing on the highlighted in your post:

Iheanacho - dude has been mediocre over the past 5 games. Piss poor. He can't shoot on target, a joke with deadballs (all of his corner kicks or freekicks have been embarrassing), low energy on the field and misplaces passes. Honestly, he needs to be excused from the team to get himself together, as he really does not fit into any formation we have, be it 433 or 352. I think his so-called 'senior man' nickname has gotten into his head and he has become a hinderance to the dynamic and balance of the team.

Moffi - kid is young and will get there. There was a marked improvement in his performance vs. Cape Verde as opposed to his cameo vs Liberia (his debut). He will become a force to reckon with very soon.

Awoniyi - how anyone can state that someone is 'not it', after debuting for the SE and playing for 45 mins vs. CAR is beyond me. Dude pretty much changed the tempo of the game after his coming in for the hapless Iheanacho, with him infusing more energy and bite into the attack.

**(Its funny how similar comments were made about Ejuke when he first debuted almost a year ago vs Tunisia and was written off. Now, he is the golden child of Nigerian football. Moral of the story is: Never, ever judge a player based on his first match for a team. I made a similar mistake with Frank Onyeka and he proved me wrong, big time. He is a solid addition to our SE).

Sadiq - everyone now believes he is 'the chosen one', until he plays and then we realize he is hardly any better than the current options. I will reserve my opinions of him till he debuts.
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:10 pm I agree that Sadiq is more like Osimehn than Onuachu.

Here lies the problem.

Our squad will have 3 or 4 strikers max (including Nacho)

It's really about what type of striker you want.

Nacho is a support striker, a player who cannot realisticly play in a 433

Then we have Osimehn our bona-fide #9 starter.

If Onuachu is the guy that "brings us something different"

Then who is our genuine backup to Osimehn ? I will tell you all that is something Rohr needs to figure out, and fast.

Onuachu for me should not be starting matches. Ever. The team has never played well with him as a starter, and he doesn't give us what we get with Osimehn.

Do we want to waste a squad position on a player who is not suited to start games but will only make late cameos. Or would we be better suited with a more dynamic striker or even an extra midfield position (which Rohr always lacks)

As for Osimehns direct replacement.

Ditto for Awoniyi.

Frankly I think Sadiq is that man, the plus side he has over Osimehn is his dribbling and playmaking abilities, something I think SE will really benefit from. We haven't played with that kind of striker for a while.

So I would go

#1 Osimehn- main striker

Now the #4 striker position I may drop for an extra dynamic midfielder, or a good winger, depending on the players available.

I would rather have an extra spot in midfield for a player like Ejaria or Alhassan Yusuf, than Onuachu if it came between them.

Where did I say Awoniyi "is not it" ?

I said he didn't make the best of his limited opportunity.

Some players are given a rare chance, and they grab it with both arms and force themselves to be a mainstay of the team by their performance.

Do you think Awoniyi did that ? He did not. This is not writing him off to acknowledge this.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Intentionally or otherwise, you 'implied' that both Awoniyi and Moffi 'weren't it', and that the Sadiq was 'that man' (highlighted in red)

Like I tried explaining in my post, you cannot realistically make an assessment of a player on his debut for the SE. I gave examples of Moffi, Onyeka and Ejuke's experiences - average performance on their debuts and then started to get into their element during subsequent games. Even Osimhen himself had an 'okay' debut against Tunisia in the 2018 AFCON. There are others who were average or below during their debuts - Ndidi is another one that had a forgettable outing on his debut at right back, under Oliseh.

1 debut match of 45 mins is simply not enough to assess the true potential of an SE invite.
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:15 pm
...As for Osimehns direct replacement.

Ditto for Awoniyi.

Frankly I think Sadiq is that man
, the plus side he has over Osimehn is his dribbling and playmaking abilities, something I think SE will really benefit from. We haven't played with that kind of striker for a while.

So I would go

#1 Osimehn- main striker
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:15 pm
Where did I say Awoniyi "is not it" ?

I said he didn't make the best of his limited opportunity.

Some players are given a rare chance, and they grab it with both arms and force themselves to be a mainstay of the team by their performance.

Do you think Awoniyi did that ? He did not. This is not writing him off to acknowledge this.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

This is settled. Osihmen, Awoniyi and Nacho are the top 3 target men. Nacho can be included as a 10 which would allow Onuachu to make it.
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:54 pm This is settled. Osihmen, Awoniyi and Nacho are the top 3 target men. Nacho can be included as a 10 which would allow Onuachu to make it.
Now you are suddenly throwing shade on the great Airness himself? What changed? :dream:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

maceo4 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:09 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:54 pm This is settled. Osihmen, Awoniyi and Nacho are the top 3 target men. Nacho can be included as a 10 which would allow Onuachu to make it.
Now you are suddenly throwing shade on the great Airness himself? What changed? :dream:
Nothing! Paul Malone Onuachu is a SE. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:35 am
You were always coming at me till you actually saw him in action vs West Ham, since then you have changed your tune…it’s so funny what ACTUALLY WATCHING GAMES can do for your opinions on players…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

I don't like forwards who cannot hold the ball and dribble
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Robotnik wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:00 pm I don't like forwards who cannot hold the ball and dribble
So, you prefer forwards who can hold the ball and dribble but not score?
You would rather have a forward who hold the ball and dribble than one who scores without holding or dribbling... :P
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

furiously frank wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:16 pm
Robotnik wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:00 pm I don't like forwards who cannot hold the ball and dribble
So, you prefer forwards who can hold the ball and dribble but not score?
You would rather have a forward who hold the ball and dribble than one who scores without holding or dribbling... :P
obviously you want the complete package, WHICH ONUACHU IS NOT.

Which of our strikers are not scoring at their clubs ?

Sadiq Umar is scoring, he is much faster, he is a much better dribbler, and the guy racks up mad assists every year.

Umar literally has almost as many assists as goals scored. That is something that Onuachu can never dream of.

Let him keep scoring tap ins against moi moi teams in Belgium.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:47 pm
You were always coming at me till you actually saw him in action vs West Ham, since then you have changed your tune…it’s so funny what ACTUALLY WATCHING GAMES can do for your opinions on players…
Who needs to watch him against West Ham

We saw him stink up the joint at the 2019 afcon.

I saw him stink it up in friendlies against Algeria and Cameroon.

Its only a matter of time before he is pushed to the periphery. Awoniyi is already likely to have moved ahead of him. When Sadiq gets his chance it is over.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:29 pm
maceo4 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:47 pm
Who needs to watch him against West Ham

We saw him stink up the joint at the 2019 afcon.

I saw him stink it up in friendlies against Algeria and Cameroon.

Its only a matter of time before he is pushed to the periphery. Awoniyi is already likely to have moved ahead of him. When Sadiq gets his chance it is over.
But mu guy was doing the easy thing and just looking at numbers without proper context, and assuming it’s because we are not playing to his strengths that he wasn’t scoring as much for SE. But when you actually watch him see his lazy slow playing style and actually see how he scores majority of his goals then you get a more complete picture of the type of player he is and why he hasn’t been working out for the SE…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Emir

Settled? Who settled it, may I ask?

Bros, what has changed now is that the in reased squad announced by CAF surely opens up at the least one more spot for a striker. For sure, with or without tgat additional spot Onuachu was likely already included bar injury. However, the additional spots now give the likes of Awoniyi, Sadiq, Miffi etc opportunity.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:17 pm
Emir

Settled? Who settled it, may I ask?

Bros, what has changed now is that the in reased squad announced by CAF surely opens up at the least one more spot for a striker. For sure, with or without tgat additional spot Onuachu was likely already included bar injury. However, the additional spots now give the likes of Awoniyi, Sadiq, Miffi etc opportunity.
Bros, the best and official attacking trio for the SE right bar no injuries are Osimhen, Nacho, and Awoniyi in that order... Onuachu doesn't have age on his side and he needs to move to a better league to be taken serious, we need a fluid, dynamic and energetic attack flanked by likes of Chukwueze, Ejuke, Samuel Kalu, and Lookman.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Like many keep saying, the respect for Onuachu comes from the sheer no of goals scored in Belgium but we all know that he hasn’t really been tested at the highest level unlike Nacho, Osimhen, Awoniyi and even Moffi.
There’s a fair chance he might not be as prolific which will put this all in true context.
For now we are just hoping
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg

Post by ahidjo2 »

Any striking suggestions that do not include Dennis is a joke. The best strikers we have in Nigeria at the moment are Osimhen, Awoniyi and Dennis. Not sure if there is a huge gang up against Dennis that people rarely mention him despite his impact on the premiership. Anybody thinking that Onuachu is a better fit for SE than Awoniyi does not watch the Bundesliga and has not followed him since his U-17 days.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

And why is that? Who would you bump off the current list of Nigerian strikers for him? Osimhen, Awoniyi, Iheanacho or Onuachu? What exactly has Dennis done to be considered, if one takes into account his record at Koln and Club Brugge, where in 4 seasons and 103 appearances, he has scored 22 goals (5.5 goals per season).
Not only that, he is notorious for being a recalcitrant (threw a hissy fit at Club Brugge because he was not allowed to sit in his 'usual' seat on the Brugge bus, due to covid protocols. He decided to storm off the bus when the team had a champions league match). He was also reported to have had same or similar attitude problems at Koln.

Recall French coach Aime Jacquet dropped prolific Man U striker Eric Cantona and Newcastle winger David Ginola, the two most prominent French players from his world cup squad, primarily due to attitude problems. The team without those 2 won the world cup and it allowed the world to be introduced to a young man named Zinedine Zidane.

No, we do NOT need Dennis and his childish attitudes in the SE now. Besides, the 4 strikers named above are much better strikers than Dennis. Not to mention the likes of Moffi.
He can stay where he is and channel his efforts in helping his club avoid relegation. .
ahidjo2 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:24 pm Any striking suggestions that do not include Dennis is a joke. The best strikers we have in Nigeria at the moment are Osimhen, Awoniyi and Dennis. Not sure if there is a huge gang up against Dennis that people rarely mention him despite his impact on the premiership. Anybody thinking that Onuachu is a better fit for SE than Awoniyi does not watch the Bundesliga and has not followed him since his U-17 days.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Denis offers something on the wings that our other forwards/wingers do not. He's a more direct option to scoring that others and he's probably the fastest Nigerian player today. I'd take him over lookman anyday on either flanks.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:20 am Like many keep saying, the respect for Onuachu comes from the sheer no of goals scored in Belgium but we all know that he hasn’t really been tested at the highest level unlike Nacho, Osimhen, Awoniyi and even Moffi.
There’s a fair chance he might not be as prolific which will put this all in true context.
Damunk

I am not sure what you mean by being tested at the highest level? Which level is higher than the SE level? Has he not been tested there? In my view, he has been tested at the highest level. From that level we have a pretty good idea what he does best and what he is deficient at. Onuachu clearly does not fit all systems of play. That much is clear.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:28 pm
Damunk wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:20 am Like many keep saying, the respect for Onuachu comes from the sheer no of goals scored in Belgium but we all know that he hasn’t really been tested at the highest level unlike Nacho, Osimhen, Awoniyi and even Moffi.
Damunk

I am not sure what you mean by being tested at the highest level? Which level is higher than the SE level? Has he not been tested there? In my view, he has been tested at the highest level. From that level we have a pretty good idea what he does best and what he is deficient at. Onuachu clearly does not fit all systems of play. That much is clear.
Come on Prof...you really mean to say that AFCON qualifiers against so-called African 'minnows' is the highest level? If that is the case why are we up in arms for being humiliated by S/Leone and CAR?
You can't eat your cake and have it.
I've said it before, the real test of any individual is less about the team you play for andmore about the teams and players you play against on a regular basis.

Onuachu is banging in dozens of goals a season. But against who exactly?
Yes, you can only deal with what is placed in front of you and he has done well so far. All credit to him.
'
But let him do the same against some of the world's top level teams and defenders and we'll know he is the real deal.
Maybe you've only been watching him in isolation on his youtube highlights.
Take a moment to ignore him and look at the quality of defending and you might get an idea of what I am talking about.

To ignore the difference in quality in the elite leagues is to be in denial.
I posted a summary of his goals a few weeks ago. Take a look and tell me what you honestly think he is dealing with in Belgium.
And then compare to what Osimhen, Awoniyi, Moffi and even Simy are dealing with in Italy, France and Germany.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:08 pm
Damunk

Come on Prof...you really mean to say that AFCON qualifiers against so-called African 'minnows' is the highest level? If that is the case why are we up in arms for being humiliated by S/Leone and CAR?
I've said it before, the real test of any individual is less about the team you play for andmore about the teams and players you play against on a regular basis.

Yes, you can only deal with what is placed in front of you and he has done well so far. All credit to him.
'
But let him do the same against some of the world's top level teams and defenders and we'll know he is the real deal.
Take a moment to ignore him and look at the quality of defending and you might get an idea of what I am talking about.

I posted a summary of his goals a few weeks ago. Take a look and tell me what you honestly think he is dealing with in Belgium.
And then compare to what Osimhen, Awoniyi, Moffi and even Simy are dealing with in Italy, France and Germany.
In the end of it all it would still be irrelevant if he's not delivering for the main SE. Take Simy for example who scored 20 league goals in the Serie A last season which is quite the achievement yet he's not rated
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:09 pm
Damunk

'

In the end of it all it would still be irrelevant if he's not delivering for the main SE. Take Simy for example who scored 20 league goals in the Serie A last season which is quite the achievement yet he's not rated
Exactly.
The Onuachu Dilemma is that he hasn't quite convinced in the GWG so the jury is still out on him as to why.
There are several possibilities but one of them is that he might not be the real deal we think he is or are hoping for.
Simy isn't even in the picture yet he is delivering at a higher level, so Onuachu should consider himself fortunate.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:38 pm
Sunset wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:09 pm
Damunk

'

Exactly.
The Onuachu Dilemma is that he hasn't quite convinced in the GWG so the jury is still out on him as to why.
There are several possibilities but one of them is that he might not be the real deal we think he is or are hoping for.
Simy isn't even in the picture yet he is delivering at a higher level, so Onuachu should consider himself fortunate.
My point on Simy is that Onuachu has been far more impressive than him for the SE and is a better player regardless of the league he plays in, if the issue was him missing chances i'd understand but when we barely create them thats the far bigger issue. And besides Osimhen & Ighalo, no striker in recent times has been too convincing for the SE which has more to do with the style of play than anything else. Osimhen in particular is such an anomaly in this regard because the type of presence he offers lets our coach think we don’t even need a proper midfield to win matches, its just not a sustainable approach.