Onuachu vs Awoniyi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Onuachu vs Awoniyi

Post by maceo4 »

Flex Swift wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:49 pm The suggestion being made here is akin to Ike Uche who was the top scorer for Nigeria during the World Cup qualifiers….. what happened ??? he was replaced with unproven strikers that didn’t play a single qualifying game: Sola Ameobi, Uche Nwofor, Michael Uchebo players that had no business going to the World Cup. We are in danger of repeating history.!

Taiwo has to move to a better club that challenges for the title and plays in Europe and he has to get his strike rate up. Right no it is nothing to write home about
I didn’t see any talk about replacing Osimhen…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

He plays for Union Berlin, who are 7th on the Bundesliga table (4 pts behind Bayern) and are currently playing in Europe.
Pretty much checks all your preconditions.
Flex Swift wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:49 pm The suggestion being made here is akin to Ike Uche who was the top scorer for Nigeria during the World Cup qualifiers….. what happened ??? he was replaced with unproven strikers that didn’t play a single qualifying game: Sola Ameobi, Uche Nwofor, Michael Uchebo players that had no business going to the World Cup. We are in danger of repeating history.!

Taiwo has to move to a better club that challenges for the title and plays in Europe and he has to get his strike rate up. Right no it is nothing to write home about
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Last edited by Otitokoro on Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Proven himself in terms of what exactly?
I mean, how many bites of the cherry did he have before he finally scored a competitive goal?

This is a guy that, in spite of all the accolades he won in Belgium last season, not a single bid was placed on the table for him. Not to mention he is currently 3rd or 4th striker for the SE. He doesn't even fit the bill, in terms of the prototypical SE striker - gangly, slow on the ball and zero pace.

Awoniyi plays in a much more competitive league and he is holding his own. He needs to be given a chance, just as Onuachu was given a chance with the SE. That's only fair.
1naija wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:04 pm
So drop Onuachu who has proven himself and give Awoniyi more chances to prove himself? If you were the coach that people are screaming that you should be sacked anytime you drop a game, would you do that?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Purely feelings!!!

I bet your job depended on selecting only one of them for the SE today, you wont talk with so much feelings. You would look at their performance in the team .

I personally dont have a preference between the 2, but it was faced with similar choice, i would look at their performances for the team.
Otitokoro wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:44 pm Proven himself in terms of what exactly?
I mean, how many bites of the cherry did he have before he finally scored a competitive goal?

This is a guy that, in spite of all the accolades he won in Belgium last season, not a single bid was placed on the table for him. Not to mention he is currently 3rd or 4th striker for the SE. He doesn't even fit the bill, in terms of the prototypical SE striker - gangly, slow on the ball and zero pace.

Awoniyi plays in a much more competitive league and he is holding his own. He needs to be given a chance, just as Onuachu was given a chance with the SE. That's only fair.
So drop Onuachu who has proven himself and give Awoniyi more chances to prove himself? If you were the coach that people are screaming that you should be sacked anytime you drop a game, would you do that?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

1naija wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:31 am Purely feelings!!!

I bet your job depended on selecting only one of them for the SE today, you wont talk with so much feelings. You would look at their performance in the team .

I personally dont have a preference between the 2, but it was faced with similar choice, i would look at their performances for the team.
Otitokoro wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:44 pm Proven himself in terms of what exactly?

Nobody has a preference. All we are saying is lets give Awoniyi a fee more games to properly assess how he fits into the team. Its a team game and majority of SE fans are not convinced about Onuachu from the games he has played for the SE. Yes he has scored a couple of goals but he has not looked impressive in other aspects of the game.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I said before and I will say again

Sadiq Umar.

I could be wrong but I believe he is better and will add more to SE than Onuachu, Awoniyi, and Moffi

its just the league he is playing in that makes people not give him credit, but he is a complete striker with pace, and he has playmaking abilities that the aformentioned above strikers can only dream of.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

AC Milan and rivals Inter are both big admirers of Paul Onuachu and could land him in a cut-price deal, according to a report.

Marca (via TMW) reports this morning that the two Milanese giants are keeping a very close eye on Onuachu given that he has scored 9 goals in the first 9 rounds of the Belgian Jupiler League, averaging a staggering one goal every 71 minutes.

https://sempremilan.com/marca-milan-and ... ast-season
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Great, everyone is an admirer but his club offered him up this summer and no one put their money where their mouth is. Now that window is closed they are back to window shopping…abeg can they just sharap and buy the bobo haba…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

...coulda, shoulda, woulda...
We heard all summer long, that he will most definitely be leaving KRC Genk for a big club...from the Top Spanish clubs to English Clubs to French clubs to absolutely nothing, at the end of the transfer window. Not a single offer from any club.
As a business, its tough investing on a 28 year old nearing his footballing career shelf life, with no guarantee of recouping your investment. Not to mention, he doesn't even rank in the top three strikers for his country.
As an investor, it makes sense NOT to invest in someone like him and explore other options out there, as they would likely present an overall better value proposition.

I hope you're right, that he gets a big club to sign him, if nothing else, for his sake.
gochino wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:46 pm AC Milan and rivals Inter are both big admirers of Paul Onuachu and could land him in a cut-price deal, according to a report.

Marca (via TMW) reports this morning that the two Milanese giants are keeping a very close eye on Onuachu given that he has scored 9 goals in the first 9 rounds of the Belgian Jupiler League, averaging a staggering one goal every 71 minutes.

https://sempremilan.com/marca-milan-and ... ast-season
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I will pick Onuachi
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

1naija wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:34 am Who will complain when Rohr brings back Onuachu and leaves Awoniyi out for the remaining games? I know it's not fair to judge Awoniyi by one game, but when the competition is stiff for your position, you can't have an average game with your one shot....
Right now I'd definitely pick Onuachu over Awoniyi based on what he's already done and the variety he brings to our attack, our play isn't intricate enough to get the best out of any striker so more times than not they're made to look worse than they are. Taiwo will be a very useful option for us in the long term as long as he keeps on the same trajectory
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:11 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:34 am Who will complain when Rohr brings back Onuachu and leaves Awoniyi out for the remaining games? I know it's not fair to judge Awoniyi by one game, but when the competition is stiff for your position, you can't have an average game with your one shot....
Right now I'd definitely pick Onuachu over Awoniyi based on what he's already done and the variety he brings to our attack, our play isn't intricate enough to get the best out of any striker so more times than not they're made to look worse than they are. Taiwo will be a very useful option for us in the long term as long as he keeps on the same trajectory
If it were a straight fight between the two and from what you’ve seen of them so far, which of Onuachu and Sadiq would you pick as first striker?
(Assuming the only other striker we had was Nacho)
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle, when did you see Sadiq in the SE? Or is this an over sabi question? Rice (Awoniyi) dey in front of you, you leave am go chop stone (Sadiq) ...
Damunk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:32 pm
If it were a straight fight between the two and from what you’ve seen of them so far, which of Onuachu and Sadiq would you pick as first striker?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Well it generally depends on how the team plays and with the way the current SE play Sadiq's a better fit stylistically due to his mobility. If it's in a team that can create a decent amount of chances I'd pick Onuachu as he's a finisher. The funny thing about Kelechi is I still dont consider him as a striker
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Awoniyi needs more chances. We need to bring Sadiq into the mix as well, we still have time to drop 2 of them before the real parry begins.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

You lost me for a sec...Club team or National team?

For their clubs, that cannot be a true 'apples to apples' comparison, as the strength of the leagues they both play in are competitively different. The German league is ranked a whole lot higher than the Belgian league. However, I wouldn't be surprised if their current 'weighted performance average' is similar.

For the national team, one has had 12 or so opportunities, while the other just debuted. Again, we really need to see Awoniyi in more SE games, in order to draw a reasonable statistical inference and do a true 'like for like' comparison, hence, the need for Awoniyi to have more opportunities with the SE.
1naija wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:31 am Purely feelings!!!

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:43 pm
Well it generally depends on how the team plays and with the way the current SE play Sadiq's a better fit stylistically due to his mobility. If it's in a team that can create a decent amount of chances I'd pick Onuachu as he's a finisher. The funny thing about Kelechi is I still dont consider him as a striker
Yep. Sadiq’s mobility is def an advantage. In addition, his feet are a lot ‘quicker’ and he is able to create chances for himself and others. He offers the same physical presence as Onuachu though he doesn’t score as many headers.
Not sure how La Liga 2 compares to the Jupiler Pro League strength-wise but I wouldn’t argue if they are said to be roughly at par.
I don’t think it can be doubted that Sadiq is also a finisher. The simple question now is who would serve the SE better.

I think the true comparisons for Osimhen’s backup should be Awoniyi vs Moffi and Onuachu vs Sadiq.
It’s a nice problem for any coach to have but I instinctively feel Sadiq is an all round better striker than Onuachu, despite his admittedly phenomenal strike rate. Some of Onuachu’s goals look like they were in a practise match but he can only take what presents itself to be taken. Is it him making it look all so simple or is the the weak opposition he faces?

Finally, I see Kelechi’s best position being exactly what it was when he announced himself to the world as an U17: support striker like he was to Success and Awoniyi, and is often played now with Vardy.
So in that sense, his position is somewhat ‘safe’ in the SE as long as he keeps his form.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Damunk wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:53 am
Yep. Sadiq’s mobility is def an advantage. In addition, his feet are a lot ‘quicker’ and he is able to create chances for himself and others. He offers the same physical presence as Onuachu though he doesn’t score as many headers.
Not sure how La Liga 2 compares to the Jupiler Pro League strength-wise but I wouldn’t argue if they are said to be roughly at par.
I don’t think it can be doubted that Sadiq is also a finisher. The simple question now is who would serve the SE better.

I think the true comparisons for Osimhen’s backup should be Awoniyi vs Moffi and Onuachu vs Sadiq.
It’s a nice problem for any coach to have but I instinctively feel Sadiq is an all round better striker than Onuachu, despite his admittedly phenomenal strike rate. Some of Onuachu’s goals look like they were in a practise match but he can only take what presents itself to be taken. Is it him making it look all so simple or is the the weak opposition he faces?

Finally, I see Kelechi’s best position being exactly what it was when he announced himself to the world as an U17: support striker like he was to Success and Awoniyi, and is often played now with Vardy.
So in that sense, his position is somewhat ‘safe’ in the SE as long as he keeps his form.
I've always known you're a smart man :clap:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

They BOTH could do with moving to top clubs but the difference is that Awoniyi is regularly playing against some of the top players in the world whilst Onuachu isn’t. We can’t really argue with that.
So the teams they play in isn’t as big a factor as it appears. It’s who they are playing against that really counts.

As a striker you can score a hundred goals against mediocre defences but just a handful against teams that boast top internationals.
We don’t know what success Onuachu would have in the Bundesliga or the EPL but we can’t assume it will be the same level of success.
Just to get an idea of the relative strengths of the leagues, let’s take a look at their representations in the last two World Cups:

Russia 2018:

1. EPL - 105 players [reduced to 74 after group stage]
2. La LIGA - 80 [reduced to 61 after group stage]
3. BUNDESLIGA - 62 [reduced to 31 after group stage]

13. JUPILER - 16 [reduced to 5 after group stage]

Brazil 2014:

1. ENG - 120
2. GERMANY - 77
3. SPAIN - 65

12. BELGIUM -12

It’s not foolproof and many factors come into play, but you can get an idea of the relative strengths of the leagues by this indirect method.
Go back as many tournaments as you like, the results are pretty consistent.

Sources:
https://www.kickalgor.com/2018/06/30/th ... -the-best/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/865 ... world-cup/
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Wrt the Onuachu & Sadiq comparison besides their height there isn't much of a similarity between them stylistically IMO the only player I'd say is similar to Paul is Simy in what he brings, while I see Sadiq as the closest thing we have to a like for like Osimhen replacement, he's just a bit weaker at certain aspects of his overall game and can be unpredictable at times
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:54 am

Wrt the Onuachu & Sadiq comparison besides their height there isn't much of a similarity between them stylistically IMO the only player I'd say is similar to Paul is Simy in what he brings, while I see Sadiq as the closest thing we have to a like for like Osimhen replacement, he's just a bit weaker at certain aspects of his overall game and can be unpredictable at times
Actually, I completely forgot about Simy! :oops:
Another striker worthy of mention.

A Sadiq vs Osimhen comparison has its merits and I think it goes to show the many qualities Sadiq has.
He just needs to prove it at a higher level, just like Onuachu.

It’s a pity that the two SE invites he has received were thwarted by the pandemic and club commitments.
Who knows, we could be telling a completely different story by now.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I agree that Sadiq is more like Osimehn than Onuachu.

Here lies the problem.

Our squad will have 3 or 4 strikers max (including Nacho)

It's really about what type of striker you want.

Nacho is a support striker, a player who cannot realisticly play in a 433

Then we have Osimehn our bona-fide #9 starter.

If Onuachu is the guy that "brings us something different"

Then who is our genuine backup to Osimehn ? I will tell you all that is something Rohr needs to figure out, and fast.

Onuachu for me should not be starting matches. Ever. The team has never played well with him as a starter, and he doesn't give us what we get with Osimehn.

Do we want to waste a squad position on a player who is not suited to start games but will only make late cameos. Or would we be better suited with a more dynamic striker or even an extra midfield position (which Rohr always lacks)

As for Osimehns direct replacement.

Moffi hasn't really taken his opportunity, even though they have been few.

Ditto for Awoniyi.

Frankly I think Sadiq is that man, the plus side he has over Osimehn is his dribbling and playmaking abilities, something I think SE will really benefit from. We haven't played with that kind of striker for a while.

So I would go

#1 Osimehn- main striker
#2 Nacho- support striker in a 352
#3 Sadiq- Osimehns replacement
#4 Onuachu- Brings us something different from bench

Now the #4 striker position I may drop for an extra dynamic midfielder, or a good winger, depending on the players available.

I would rather have an extra spot in midfield for a player like Ejaria or Alhassan Yusuf, than Onuachu if it came between them.