Onuachu vs Awoniyi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Onuachu vs Awoniyi

Post by 1naija »

Who will complain when Rohr brings back Onuachu and leaves Awoniyi out for the remaining games? I know it's not fair to judge Awoniyi by one game, but when the competition is stiff for your position, you can't have an average game with your one shot....
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Onuachu vs Awoniyi

Post by deanotito »

1naija wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:34 am Who will complain when Rohr brings back Onuachu and leaves Awoniyi out for the remaining games? I know it's not fair to judge Awoniyi by one game, but when the competition is stiff for your position, you can't have an average game with your one shot....

Onuachu has the nod. Physically, he’s just more of a handful to deal with and his club scoring record is outstanding. But I would only drop Awoniyi if entirely necessary. He’s a great player as well
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

One game is not enough to judge Awoniyi . And Onachu on the other hand has had many looks.

I think Awoniyi needs two or three more games. I woild also like to see Sadiq given a look. I think he has a combo of Oshimen and Onachu in his toolbox.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Sadiq Umar.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

1naija wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:34 am Who will complain when Rohr brings back Onuachu and leaves Awoniyi out for the remaining games? I know it's not fair to judge Awoniyi by one game, but when the competition is stiff for your position, you can't have an average game with your one shot....
Let’s hope he gives Awoniyi more chances to prove himself like he has done with Onuachu
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Onuachu scored on his debute, against Egypt ,the goal ended up being the match winner. Onuachu didn’t make an impact in the last ANC but had a great club season has champions league experience, Europa cup experience won the cup in Belgium.

Taiwo missed a sitter on his debute ; Nigeria ended up losing the game 1 nil. Has only scored against lower Bundesliga opposition. Doesn’t have champions league or Europa cup experience. Wasn’t even his clubs top scorer.

Do you really think now is the time to drop a fit Onuachu in place of Taiwo??????
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

deanotito wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:14 am

Onuachu has the nod. Physically, he’s just more of a handful to deal with and his club scoring record is outstanding. But I would only drop Awoniyi if entirely necessary. He’s a great player as well
But there is room for only one of them as you can't drop Osimhen or Nacho. It's either or..
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Lolly wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:10 am
Let’s hope he gives Awoniyi more chances to prove himself like he has done with Onuachu
So drop Onuachu who has proven himself and give Awoniyi more chances to prove himself? If you were the coach that people are screaming that you should be sacked anytime you drop a game, would you do that?
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Chai Nigerians sef! Why are we so impatient? He came in as substitute and didn’t play a full game, even that chance was blocked by a defender right in front of him.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Flex Swift wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:25 pm Onuachu scored on his debute, against Egypt ,the goal ended up being the match winner. Onuachu didn’t make an impact in the last ANC but had a great club season has champions league experience, Europa cup experience won the cup in Belgium.

Taiwo missed a sitter on his debute ; Nigeria ended up losing the game 1 nil. Has only scored against lower Bundesliga opposition. Doesn’t have champions league or Europa cup experience. Wasn’t even his clubs top scorer.

Do you really think now is the time to drop a fit Onuachu in place of Taiwo??????
How does a shot on goal that was blocked and deflected by a defender amount to missing a sitter? This is why I love CE :biggrin:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

1naija wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:25 pm
So drop Onuachu who has proven himself and give Awoniyi more chances to prove himself? If you were the coach that people are screaming that you should be sacked anytime you drop a game, would you do that?
I don’t know what you mean by ‘proven himself’. Onuachu has not impressed, so there is nothing wrong with trying someone else.

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:12 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:25 pm Onuachu scored on his debute, against Egypt ,the goal ended up being the match winner. Onuachu didn’t make an impact in the last ANC but had a great club season has champions league experience, Europa cup experience won the cup in Belgium.

How does a shot on goal that was blocked and deflected by a defender amount to missing a sitter? This is why I love CE :biggrin:
Flex is very emotional when it comes to Basketballer lol
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I think besides the physique, they are decidedly different types of options. In my view, Awonuyi fits Rohr's preference for possession football. Onuachu is more of a change of style guy. He is far more effective in the air within the goal area. Unfortunately, Rohr has not paid much attention to such option and has stated so publicly. However, Onuachu has managed to take advantage of any slim pickings thst have come his way.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Terem Moffi.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bushboy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:53 pmTerem Moffi.
Also,
1. Odion Ighalo 2. Anthony Ujah 3. Isaac Success 4. Nathan Oduwa 5. David Okereke :winking:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:33 pm I think besides the physique, they are decidedly different types of options. In my view, Awonuyi fits Rohr's preference for possession football. Onuachu is more of a change of style guy. He is far more effective in the air within the goal area. Unfortunately, Rohr has not paid much attention to such option and has stated so publicly. However, Onuachu has managed to take advantage of any slim pickings thst have come his way.
Onuachu reminds me of the ex-England central striker Andy Carrol.
Similar role, tall (though not as tall as Onuachu), great header of the ball, he came with a lot of expectations whenever he was invited to the England set-up. However, Carrol never quite convinced and frustratingly he was always only 'nearly' there.

Onuachu still has the benefit of the doubt because he hasn't changed clubs and leagues yet.
In as much as one must respect what he has done in Belgium, one can only get a true picture when he makes that step up.
Its not his fault, but one really has to question why no-one has come for him with such a phenomenal strike rate.

Interestingly, the only club that has shown a degree of genuine interest is West Ham, the same club that Andy Carrol made his name.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Lolly wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:15 pm
I don’t know what you mean by ‘proven himself’. Onuachu has not impressed, so there is nothing wrong with trying someone else.
You are such a ungrateful SOB!!! Who scored the winner in Benin to qualify Nigeria for the ANC? Your Osmhem played in that game how many goals did he score? Which one of our strikers has scored hat-trick in Europe this season?. You are now calling for a unproven striker to replace Onauchu!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Proven himself means he has scored goals for Nigeria. The fact is there is only one slot for both of them. One has scored goals for Nigeria, the other has not. Granted he has not had enough chances. Rohr can only chose one of them, so emotions and feelings wont make a difference.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Damunk wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:52 pm
Enugu II wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:33 pm I think besides the physique, they are decidedly different types of options. In my view, Awonuyi fits Rohr's preference for possession football. Onuachu is more of a change of style guy. He is far more effective in the air within the goal area. Unfortunately, Rohr has not paid much attention to such option and has stated so publicly. However, Onuachu has managed to take advantage of any slim pickings thst have come his way.
Onuachu reminds me of the ex-England central striker Andy Carrol.
Similar role, tall (though not as tall as Onuachu), great header of the ball, he came with a lot of expectations whenever he was invited to the England set-up. However, Carrol never quite convinced and frustratingly he was always only 'nearly' there.

Onuachu still has the benefit of the doubt because he hasn't changed clubs and leagues yet.
In as much as one must respect what he has done in Belgium, one can only get a true picture when he makes that step up.
Its not his fault, but one really has to question why no-one has come for him with such a phenomenal strike rate.

Interestingly, the only club that has shown a degree of genuine interest is West Ham, the same club that Andy Carrol made his name.
Onuachu will remain in the squad because he is a different kind of striker and Rohr wants that as an option on the bench. Tawio and Osimhen are interchangeable, although the latter is ahead in the pecking order. In the first leg against CAR, we keep launching the ball upfield with nobody to hold up play (Kelechi isn't effective playing with his back to goal). This is in line with how Rohr sets up his team.

Rohr's love affair with Musa means Terem Moffi has a tall order clinching a spot.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Flex Swift wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:56 pm
You are such a ungrateful SOB!!! Who scored the winner in Benin to qualify Nigeria for the ANC? Your Osmhem played in that game how many goals did he score? Which one of our strikers has scored hat-trick in Europe this season?. You are now calling for a unproven striker to replace Onauchu!!!
They said you were an emotional boy but this one pass emotions. No vex, na only football I want discuss. I don’t have time for counselling sessions.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

1naija wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:04 pm Proven himself means he has scored goals for Nigeria. The fact is there is only one slot for both of them. One has scored goals for Nigeria, the other has not. Granted he has not had enough chances. Rohr can only chose one of them, so emotions and feelings wont make a difference.
Though he has scored goals, his overall play has not been impressive. He has not lit up the place as the lone striker and not impressed as a support striker. Nothing wrong with trying someone else who might bring more to the table.

BTW, I am not discarding him yet.

Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

The suggestion being made here is akin to Ike Uche who was the top scorer for Nigeria during the World Cup qualifiers….. what happened ??? he was replaced with unproven strikers that didn’t play a single qualifying game: Sola Ameobi, Uche Nwofor, Michael Uchebo players that had no business going to the World Cup. We are in danger of repeating history.!

Taiwo has to move to a better club that challenges for the title and plays in Europe and he has to get his strike rate up. Right no it is nothing to write home about
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Has not been Impressive to whom? Certainly not to Rohr who has to chose between the two of them!
Lolly wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:28 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:04 pm Proven himself means he has scored goals for Nigeria. The fact is there is only one slot for both of them. One has scored goals for Nigeria, the other has not. Granted he has not had enough chances. Rohr can only chose one of them, so emotions and feelings wont make a difference.
Though he has scored goals, his overall play has not been impressive. He has not lit up the place as the lone striker and not impressed as a support striker. Nothing wrong with trying someone else who might bring more to the table.

BTW, I am not discarding him yet.