Onuachu vs Awoniyi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Onuachu vs Awoniyi

Post by vancity eagle »

Osimehn may miss our last 2 qualifiers. He suffered a muscle injury in training and will miss Napolis match tomorrow.

I wonder what the clown Rohr will do should we miss him.

Is he going to stick Onuachu up front ?

Every problem I always identify seems to come to haunt us.

I said that Rohr needed to find a backup to Osimehn.

It certainly is not Nacho or Onuachu.

I know that Sadiq missed 2 callups, but he should have subsequently been called.

Awoniyi or Moffi have not had enough chances but would be the likely replacements.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:05 pm My point on Simy is that Onuachu has been far more impressive than him for the SE and is a better player regardless of the league he plays in, if the issue was him missing chances i'd understand but when we barely create them thats the far bigger issue. And besides Osimhen & Ighalo, no striker in recent times has been too convincing for the SE which has more to do with the style of play than anything else. Osimhen in particular is such an anomaly in this regard because the type of presence he offers lets our coach think we don’t even need a proper midfield to win matches, its just not a sustainable approach.
Hmmm, this is a highly subjective opinion and I'm pretty certain that it will be the source of endless debate.
I certainly wouldn't readily agree to this.
For starters. I think the 'sample size' is way too small with Simy having played only 4 times for the SE, two of those being against world class opposition in Argentina and Croatia at the 2018 World Cup.

Like I have pointed out, my opinion is not to denigrate Onuachu's achievements, but simply to recognise the real possibility that he might not be as prolific against higher quality opposition as he is at the moment.
We won't know until he is put to the test.
Like many others whose opinions cannot simply be dismissed, I have not been particularly impressed with his performance in the SE jersey and therefore find it hard to agree with your description of him being "a better player" and 'far more convincing".

But everyone's prayer is for him and all the other strikers to prove us wrong, hence giving Rohr "a pleasant headache to have".
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:39 pm
Sunset wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:05 pm My point on Simy is that Onuachu has been far more impressive than him for the SE and is a better player regardless of the league he plays in, if the issue was him missing chances i'd understand but when we barely create them thats the far bigger issue. And besides Osimhen & Ighalo, no striker in recent times has been too convincing for the SE which has more to do with the style of play than anything else. Osimhen in particular is such an anomaly in this regard because the type of presence he offers lets our coach think we don’t even need a proper midfield to win matches, its just not a sustainable approach.
Hmmm, this is a highly subjective opinion and I'm pretty certain that it will be the source of endless debate.
For starters. I think the 'sample size' is way too small with Simy having played only 4 times for the SE, two of those being against world class opposition in Argentina and Croatia at the 2018 World Cup.

Like I have pointed out, my opinion is not to denigrate Onuachu's achievements, but simply to recognise the real possibility that he might not be as prolific against higher quality opposition as he is at the moment.
Like many others whose opinions cannot simply be dismissed, I have not been particularly impressed with his performance in the SE jersey and therefore find it hard to agree with your description of him being "a better player" and 'far more convincing".

But everyone's prayer is for him and all the other strikers to prove us wrong, hence giving Rohr "a pleasant headache to have".
Damunk

The problem of trotting out this issue about World Class opposition is willingness to use it across board. Do we now state that Musa is Nigeria's most dangerous attacker given his performance not only against world class opposition but at a World Cup?

TBH this is just a reminder that being at the so-called big leagues do not definitively determine who is a better player given the economic dictates of the Nigerian cases.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:13 pm

Damunk

The problem of trotting out this issue about World Class opposition is willingness to use it across board. Do we now state that Musa is Nigeria's most dangerous attacker given his performance not only against world class opposition but at a World Cup?

TBH this is just a reminder that being at the so-called big leagues do not definitively determine who is a better player given the economic dictates of the Nigerian cases.
Prof, Musa once upon a time was arguably Nigeria's most dangerous striker.
That time has now passed.

Unless I am getting you wrong, I don't see how the quality of opposition a striker or even a defender is playing against can be dismissed as a key factor in assessing a player's quality.
Then why are there different league levels?
Why is there team seeding?
Bottom line is the ability to translate one's performance from one lower level to the next level up.
It is NOT a foolproof system but it sure is a fairly good indicator. The scouting system generally works, and it is global.
If it means very little, then why is Osimhen our undisputed number one striker when we have Onuachu hitting the net twice as often as Osimhen?

I don't really buy your argument about the 'Nigerian situation'.
Much more often than not, quality will generally find its level. It is a competitive process driven by financial rewards and its hard to beat that.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk,

You forget that Musa was actually benched for that World Cup! The point is that the club or the league that someone, especially a Nigerian player, is does not provide a good yardstick for measuring quality because of other socioeconomic conditions that should not be skipped. A Nigerian player is not the same as a Scottish or English player where such measures suffice.

Damunk wrote: Sun Mar 09, 1975 7:44 am
Enugu II wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:13 pm

Damunk

Prof, Musa once upon a time was arguably Nigeria's most dangerous striker.
That time has now passed.

Unless I am getting you wrong, I don't see how the quality of opposition a striker or even a defender is playing against can be dismissed as a key factor in assessing a player's quality.
Then why are there different league levels?
Why is there team seeding?
Bottom line is the ability to translate one's performance from one lower level to the next level up.
It is NOT a foolproof system but it sure is a fairly good indicator. The scouting system generally works, and it is global.
If it means very little, then why is Osimhen our undisputed number one striker when we have Onuachu hitting the net twice as often as Osimhen?

I don't really buy your argument about the 'Nigerian situation'.
Much more often than not, quality will generally find its level. It is a competitive process driven by financial rewards and its hard to beat that.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Well to be fair those matches against Argentina & Croatia Simy only had a total of 3 minutes game time between them, but what about in the matches against DR Congo & Liberia (with George Weah starting) where he played the full 90, he left a lot to be desired despite scoring against the Liberians. I don't know if you watched those games but I did and there's no way you could say that same player is a better option than Onuachu as you haven't said much about what he brings to the table besides playing in a "top 5 league"
Onuachu if I recall correctly scored on his SE debut vs One of the top African sides and was the MOTM in that very drab matchup and would go on to struggle at the AFCON but would prove himself again coming off the bench to score the winner away vs Benin and the 3rd vs Lesotho which IMO shows that he's a very good option coming off the bench.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Sunset wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:12 pm

Well to be fair those matches against Argentina & Croatia Simy only had a total of 3 minutes game time between them, but what about in the matches against DR Congo & Liberia (with George Weah starting) where he played the full 90, he left a lot to be desired despite scoring against the Liberians. I don't know if you watched those games but I did and there's no way you could say that same player is a better option than Onuachu as you haven't said much about what he brings to the table besides playing in a "top 5 league"
Onuachu if I recall correctly scored on his SE debut vs One of the top African sides and was the MOTM in that very drab matchup and would go on to struggle at the AFCON but would prove himself again coming off the bench to score the winner away vs Benin and the 3rd vs Lesotho which IMO shows that he's a very good option coming off the bench.
How does a couple of tap ins against poor teams equate to proving himself? When he failed at the ANC, failed against top competition like Brazil etc. Forget Simi tok abeg he's not even in the equation, lets talk about Awoniyi, he needs the same amount of time to show what he can do.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

With all due respect, how many games did Onuachu play in between the Egypt game and the Benin game? In all those games, its a know fact that he pretty much stunk up the joint. So, the argument remains: shouldn't Awoniyi also be afforded a similar opportunity to 'find his feet'?

For the record and for some context, in the month of October 2021, Awoniyi scored 6 goals, while Onuachu scored just 1, in all competitive matches (club and country combined).
Sunset wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:12 pm Onuachu...would go on to struggle at the AFCON but would prove himself again coming off the bench to score the winner away vs Benin and the 3rd vs Lesotho which IMO shows that he's a very good option coming off the bench.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:42 pm How does a couple of tap ins against poor teams equate to proving himself? When he failed at the ANC, failed against top competition like Brazil etc. Forget Simi tok abeg he's not even in the equation, lets talk about Awoniyi, he needs the same amount of time to show what he can do.
Simy is not in the equation but crept into the conversation when we were talking about performance platforms etc.
I absolutely agree that Awoniyi needs more SE exposure to prove himself.
As things stand right now, I'd take him over Onuachu any day tbh.
Just my preference.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Otitokoro wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:53 pm With all due respect, how many games did Onuachu play in between the Egypt game and the Benin game? In all those games, its a know fact that he pretty much stunk up the joint. So, the argument remains: shouldn't Awoniyi also be afforded a similar opportunity to 'find his feet'?

For the record and for some context, in the month of October 2021, Awoniyi scored 6 goals, while Onuachu scored just 1, in all competitive matches (club and country combined).
Sunset wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:12 pm Onuachu...would go on to struggle at the AFCON but would prove himself again coming off the bench to score the winner away vs Benin and the 3rd vs Lesotho which IMO shows that he's a very good option coming off the bench.
That performance against Egypt is what afforded him the chance to play those following games, I don't recall Awoniyi doing anything similar against the almighty CAR. And trying to single out one players as stinking up the joint is a bit disingenuous when the whole team practically did the same.
And for the record Awoniyi was only called as a replacement for the injured Terem Moffi.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

He had one shot in the very first minute and had nothing else in the tank in a non-competitive match against Egypt.
Is that really what the benchmark is now?
Against the Almighty 'CAR', neither Osimhen nor Iheanacho scored either. Does that mean they are not better players or higher ranked in comparison to Onuachu in the SE striker hierachy?
Regarding all the other games Onuachu has ever played for the SE, between his Egypt debut and his coming in against Benin, please name a single game he excelled in. Or performed above average. Or even, just plain average. Name one such match.
The sad truth is there is none to be named. He stunk up the joint, plain and simple.
Sunset wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:00 am That performance against Egypt is what afforded him the chance to play those following games, I don't recall Awoniyi doing anything similar against the almighty CAR. And trying to single out one players as stinking up the joint is a bit disingenuous when the whole team practically did the same.
And for the record Awoniyi was only called as a replacement for the injured Terem Moffi.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Otitokoro wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:56 am He had one shot in the very first minute and had nothing else in the tank in a non-competitive match against Egypt.
Is that really what the benchmark is now?
Against the Almighty 'CAR', neither Osimhen nor Iheanacho scored either. Does that mean they are not better players or higher ranked in comparison to Onuachu in the SE striker hierachy?
Regarding all the other games Onuachu has ever played for the SE, between his Egypt debut and his coming in against Benin, please name a single game he excelled in. Or performed above average. Or even, just plain average. Name one such match.
The sad truth is there is none to be named. He stunk up the joint, plain and simple.
Sunset wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:00 am That performance against Egypt is what afforded him the chance to play those following games, I don't recall Awoniyi doing anything similar against the almighty CAR. And trying to single out one players as stinking up the joint is a bit disingenuous when the whole team practically did the same.
I think you're missing the point and being a bit emotional with these questions, but I'm just saying it as it is.
It's not fair but its all about first impressions bros at least with the way Rohr does things, he's not the first and won't be the last to be treated this way as the list is long from:
Dessers, Maja, Olayinka, Dennis, Nwakaeme, Marcus. Even Ejuke until recently wasn't rated after only being given 12 minutes of playing time.
And IMO there isn't anything that special about his game compared to our other strikers at the moment, I feel he will get there he's just not at the level yet
Last edited by Sunset on Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:58 pm
maceo4 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:42 pm How does a couple of tap ins against poor teams equate to proving himself? When he failed at the ANC, failed against top competition like Brazil etc. Forget Simi tok abeg he's not even in the equation, lets talk about Awoniyi, he needs the same amount of time to show what he can do.
Simy is not in the equation but crept into the conversation when we were talking about performance platforms etc.
I absolutely agree that Awoniyi needs more SE exposure to prove himself.
As things stand right now, I'd take him over Onuachu any day tbh.
Just my preference.
I agree with the highlight in red given the way Rohr chooses to use his team. Awoniyi can at least play quick with the others and on the ground comfortably. However, Onuachu does provide a strategic option but sadly Rohr sees no value in that strategic option and one wonders why he persists, then, in inviting Onuachu.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

One doesn't have to be emotional about laying the facts as they are, which I did.
None of the fellows you listed play in the Bundesliga, which Awoniyi does.
Its not happenstance that this past October, Awoniyi scored 6 goals in all competition, while Onuachu scored only once.
If Rohr sticks to the rules he mentioned govern his team selection, then Awoniyi does deserve a chance. Fair is fair.
The 'special element' in his game is he is performing above expectation in a much more competitive league compared to Onuachu. That in itself should count for something.
Sunset wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:12 am I think you're missing the point and being a bit emotional with these questions, but I'm just saying it as it is.
It's not fair but its all about first impressions bros at least with the way Rohr does things, he's not the first and won't be the last to be treated this way as the list is long from:
Dessers, Maja, Olayinka, Dennis, Nwakaeme, Marcus. Even Ejuke until recently wasn't rated after only being given 12 minutes of playing time.
And IMO there isn't anything that special about his game compared to our other strikers at the moment, I feel he will get there he's just not at the level yet
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Thank goodness Onauchu did not play in the first leg against CAR….. please somebody enlighten us on how effective his stand in replacements were???? How many goals did Osimhen get? Or even Nacho? The one chance that fell to Awoniyi (a sitter) he missed , yet he is a better option then Onauchu who came on against Benin and got the winner; all this hate simply because he plays in Belgium and people don’t like tall footballers.

I don’t want wish evil on any of our players but I will go on record and say this Onauchu is a better talent that Awoniyi, Moffi, Dressers, Maja, Olayinka, Simy. His goal record in a league that Amo once played in speaks volumes the same league Osimhen played in but was not nearly so prolific.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Otitokoro wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:59 am One doesn't have to be emotional about laying the facts as they are, which I did.
None of the fellows you listed play in the Bundesliga, which Awoniyi does.
Its not happenstance that this past October, Awoniyi scored 6 goals in all competition, while Onuachu scored only once.
If Rohr sticks to the rules he mentioned govern his team selection, then Awoniyi does deserve a chance. Fair is fair.
The 'special element' in his game is he is performing above expectation in a much more competitive league compared to Onuachu. That in itself should count for something.
Sunset wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:12 am I think you're missing the point and being a bit emotional with these questions, but I'm just saying it as it is.
Well it seems emotional when you choose to ignore facts that don't help your points, like the fact Awoniyi was only called up as a replacement for Terem Moffi and only played because Onuachu suffered a knock in training. If we're being totally honest he didn't do anything of note that would logically lead to him knocking Onuachu down the pecking order. His club form is what keeps him on the radar of selection while the National team form is what should keep him in the squad, not the other way around.
And I'm not even sure how playing in the Bundesliga is supposed to make him special compared to those names listed, isn't our coach German sef? I'm sure he has followed him extensively.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:34 am Who will complain when Rohr brings back Onuachu and leaves Awoniyi out for the remaining games? I know it's not fair to judge Awoniyi by one game, but when the competition is stiff for your position, you can't have an average game with your one shot....
gbosa ,...more hating on Awoniyi
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:55 am
1naija wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:34 am Who will complain when Rohr brings back Onuachu and leaves Awoniyi out for the remaining games? I know it's not fair to judge Awoniyi by one game, but when the competition is stiff for your position, you can't have an average game with your one shot....
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You've had a miserable 24 hours. Don't expose yourself like this. I know you don't know how to read, but do expose yourself to the whole world like this.

E go pain you tire say I expose your sudden love for Awoniyi when you didn't even acknowledged he existed as a striker 2 weeks ago. Two days and you haven't been able to find one single post of me disparaging Awoniyi or even rooting against him like you did above. And yes, not caring if he is relegated or not is rooting against him.

I am not responsible for his statistics, so don't blame me for stating it here like we do for every other player.
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:55 am
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.