Chidera's glimpse of magic

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Chidera's glimpse of magic

Post by Enugu II »

waka-man wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:05 pm I think that all makes sense of course. However, the league you play does have an impact on the experience you are getting and that’s a factor.
The team you play for similarly informs what you are learning and being challenged by.
Finally, the opposition you play allows us to see how you handle playing against the very best, which comes back to the league you play in.
So, absolutely, it should be based on the player. But the context in which you evaluate that player is as important consideration.
waka-man,

Ordinarily, the point you maker is ACCURATE and VALID. However, I believe that it isn't the same for all nationals because of varied reasons. Take an economic reason for instance. Nigerian players do not really care about the club or league they play for unlike the Brit player who will follow the trajectory hoping to get to the Big 5. For the Nigerian player? The Nigerian player is seeking economic solutions first. When one leaves Nigeria it is about the payday first. This focus means that the usual calculation of a club or league determining the quality of a Nigerian player is not an appropriate measure when compared to using the same system to measure a European player. Different economic circumstances should lead to different indices for evaluation.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

We still need to evaluate them in context. And when they become SE players you have to expect that economics are leading them to greener pastures. Eventually, the cream rises to the top.

By the way to be clear, I agree ultimately the player is the main thing you need to evaluate. We agree on that. I’m just saying context and experience matters too.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

waka-man wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:52 pm We still need to evaluate them in context. And when they become SE players you have to expect that economics are leading them to greener pastures. Eventually, the cream rises to the top.

By the way to be clear, I agree ultimately the player is the main thing you need to evaluate. We agree on that. I’m just saying context and experience matters too.
I will agree with you BUT by changing the highlighted word from "when" to "after." I make that note because the whole idea is what indices should one consider before inviting a player to the SE in the first place.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:54 pm
waka-man wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:52 pm We still need to evaluate them in context. And when they become SE players you have to expect that economics are leading them to greener pastures. Eventually, the cream rises to the top.

I will agree with you BUT by changing the highlighted word from "when" to "after." I make that note because the whole idea is what indices should one consider before inviting a player to the SE in the first place.
:agree:
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.