CHANGING DYNAMIC OF AFRICAN FOOTBALL

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CHANGING DYNAMIC OF AFRICAN FOOTBALL

Post by vancity eagle »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:37 pm If care is not taken the North Africans will completely control African soccer.

I have witnessed some disturbing trends when it comes to Nigeria and frankly all of the traditional West African powerhouses, over these world cup qualifiers.

While the North African teams are ruthlessly dismantling their weaker oppositions I find that the West Africans are PLAYING DOWN TO THEIR OPPONENTS.

Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast, and even Senegal do not seem to be in these matches fully. It seems to me that they just expect to walk on the pitch, and that the fact they play at a much higher club level should be enough for them to win matches.

I see these teams sleepwalking for large stretches of these matches, allowing their weaker opponents to bully them off the ball, win 50/50 balls, make runs to create space, and actually run at their opponents. I have seen teams like Malawi, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Central Africa fight to the death, while their illustrious opponents operate on cruise control.

I have seen top european based defenders like Koulibaly and Bailly, Boly, Djiku, Balogun be rubbished by these teams.

The scoreline doesn't always tell the story. Despite decent scorelines for Senegal and Ivory Coast, the games in reality were much closer.

The movement, passing, and teamplay of teams like Algeria, Morocco, Egypt, etc makes me think that these teams may dominate the afcon, and if we are not careful they will be the ones repping Africa in Qatar. They will be highly motivated given the World Cup to be held in the middle east.

While a vocal minority on CE are clamouring for homebased "talents" and criticize the approach of recruiting dual nationals, please understand that this is the current trend, and that those who do not keep up WILL BE LEFT BEHIND IN THE DUST.

Despite having far superior domestic leagues and a much wider pool of quality homebased players to choose from the North Africans are heavily recruiting French, Dutch, and Belgian born players and this IS IMPROVING THEIR TEAMS.

Morocco who won the last CHAN still parades a team of entirely foreign based and foreign born players, so please I dont want to hear any more of this "homebased" nonsense. It is a dead in the water argument.

I really hope I am wrong but I see these North African teams dominating African soccer for some time.
For those who have forgotten please read above what I originally posted.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:17 pm Perfect time for a bump.

Anybody want to bet against a North African side winning this cup.

An average Tunisia beat a star studed golden generation of SE.

Meanwhile CIV huffed and puffed only to lose to an inferior Egypt.

Senegal is our only hope and they have been absoluye trash.

I predict we may see 4 North African teams in Qatar.
I think Senegal or Cameroun will win this cup. Watch and see.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:53 am
Aswani wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:55 am North Africans teams always stink the joint out, much much worse than other African teams, when they play in the World Cup. This is apart from the Algerian and Moroccan teams in the 80's.

They will run over teams in qualifying a la Germany and then simply play poorly when they get to the dance.

Some suspect the favourable refereeing decisions they get at home coupled with antics like lasers and all night singing in front of the opponents hotel gives them an advantage they don't have at tournaments.

How can one explain Shehata's all conquering Egyptian teams not getting anywhere near the quarter finals of a World Cup, a conundrum indeed.
Your claim get as im be oooo! Historically, they have done just as well. Note that the first ever win by an African team at the World Cup was by Tunisia. I believe Egypt may have been the first African team to proceed beyond the opening round (Check on this claim as I write based on memory alone).
Probably Morocco in 1986. Egypt has never won a game at the WC.

Wha choo looking at?!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

There is nothing wrong with the so-called changing dynamic of African soccer except the writer is misinformed and in fact conflicted and promotes discord through insinuations of prejudice and discrimination but here is the reality of it all in this study I posted earlier last week which most of you missed because we were all engulfed in Garoua debacle. Somebody actually did a real study on how migration had changed football at World Cup level and this is actually extrapolated to goings in this Cup of Nations in Cameroon where unknown African nation like EQ G and Comoros lend validity to this study below
https://comparativemigrationstudies.spr ... 019-0118-6
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:38 pm

Senegal that needed Cape Verde to be reduced to 9-men before they could overcome them?
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Goalgetter wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:10 am

Senegal that needed Cape Verde to be reduced to 9-men before they could overcome them?
You haven't learned yet from Egypt and Tunisia in this tournament that it's not how you start, but how you finish?

Here is something for you:

1st round of one of the best WC's ever

Italy 0 Peru 0
Italy 0 Poland 0
Italy 1 Cameroun 1

Meanwhile

Brazil 4 New Zealand 0
Brazil 4 Scotland 1
Brazil 2 USSR 1

Who won when Italy met Brazil in that World Cup? Who won the whole damned cup?

Wha choo looking at?!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Goalgetter wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:10 am

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: You see am.