AFCON win or world cup qualification?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

blackjack
Egg
Egg
AFCON win or world cup qualification?

Post by blackjack »

Hello everyone
This is a common debate among many african NT fans.
Would you rather have Nigeria win the AFCON 2021/2 and then not qualify for the world cup, or Nigeria getting knocked out in the second round or quarter finals of the AFCON followed by a qualification to the world cup?
Thanks
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: AFCON win or world cup qualification?

Post by Damunk »

blackjack wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:40 pm Hello everyone
Would you rather have Nigeria win the AFCON 2021/2 and then not qualify for the world cup, or Nigeria getting knocked out in the second round or quarter finals of the AFCON followed by a qualification to the world cup?
Thanks
Neither tbh.
For me, the greater disaster is not qualifying for the World Cup.
But both are disasters.

Winning AFCON is very hit and miss and any one of about 6 countries can legitimately win it with a bit of luck. Meaning any five of those six countries will fail to win it not necessarily because they are not good enough. There is no outstanding African country at the moment that is an out-and-out favourite to win it based on their strength.

But the WC presents an opportunity to position ourselves on the world stage.
Respect and confidence comes from breaking into the top 10 or 15 nations of the world and unfortunately right now you can’t do that simply by being African champions.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I would rather not win AFCON but qualify for World Cup

than win AFCON and not qualify for World Cup.

If you win AFCON but cant rep on the world stage, that win was kind of pointless. Just look at Egypt.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Definitely World Cup qualification.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Historically it has always been easier for Nigeria to Qualify for the world cup than to win AFCON.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

I’d rather qualify to the World Cup as that would at least mean Nigeria qualified to both but Nigeria have more chance of winning the Afcon in the next 5 years + than progressing past the last 16 at the a World Cup at present but of cause that can change.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Nigeria can do both. But if I had to chooe I will take the trophy over a first round meaningless exit at the world cup. Do you really think the current oach can do well at the world cup ?

I don't think NIgeria can win Afcon. But I think Nigeria can qualify for the world cup.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

I think the question is if you're offered a choice and you can only choose ONE (hypothetically). Which one would you take?

It's a tough one because we've won the AFCON before and being at the world cup is important in maintaining your status as one of the best teams in Africa.

The AFCON is an actual trophy while qualifying for the WC is not. It's a hard choice, but I would choose WC qualification as the AFCON comes every 2 years and the World Cup comes every 4 years.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ghana, Kenya, and Zimbabwe, cannot be conisdered "many". Only fans of those teams can have such debate. For Nigeria, it must be both, or ROHR MIUST GO!!!
Thanks
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

One is useless without the other.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Thanks
I want us to get both
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Celebrity
Egg
Egg

Post by Celebrity »

World Cup qualification off course. Who cares about local AFCON cup won by defeating minnows like Ghana and South Africa. WC is where the big boys are! The traveling prospects, the bragging rights at the world stage, the media frenzy & excitement, haba!
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Why not both! We should be aiming for both! We are African giant and powerhouse! When did we become such a Pus$y nation?
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

We can't win AFCON with the team we have and the opposition.

So I want World Cup qualification. It's a MUST.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Lolly wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:50 am We can't win AFCON with the team we have and the opposition.

The team is definitely good enough to win the AFCON, the coach on the other hand...
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Tobi17 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:55 am
Lolly wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:50 am We can't win AFCON with the team we have and the opposition.

The team is definitely good enough to win the AFCON, the coach on the other hand...
The same coach took the SE to within minutes of the AFCON final a few years ago, losing to the eventual winners who have remained unbeaten for about 30 matches. Though there isn’t a big difference in the personnel of the 2019 and today’s teams, our opponents have gone stronger with additional quality players, while we haven’t added any significant improvement to ours. And yes, the coach is partly to blame.

Up Eagus!!!!!
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Why cant we win with the team we have? Is it the same team Algeria that won it last timed needed an unbelievable freekick to beat? Who has the team to win it?

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Lolly wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:37 pm

The same coach took the SE to within minutes of the AFCON final a few years ago, losing to the eventual winners who have remained unbeaten for about 30 matches. Though there isn’t a big difference in the personnel of the 2019 and today’s teams, our opponents have gone stronger with additional quality players, while we haven’t added any significant improvement to ours. And yes, the coach is partly to blame.

Up Eagus!!!!!
Our team has improved

We have added

Joe Aribo
Victor Osimehn (wasn't a starter or established in 2019)
Frank Onyeka
Maduka Okoye
Zaidu Sanusi
Chidera Ejuke
Kevin Akpoguma
Terrem Moffi

Plus there's also the possibility to add

Sadiq Umar
Alhassan Yusuf
Obinna Nwobodo

Ovie Ejaria ?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

... 'the coach on the other hand...' is what? Why you no tok am? You dey fear? :D :D
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Up Eagus!!!!!
I disagree.
I think there’s a BIG difference.
Our identified ‘weakest links’ in the AFCON team have been replaced or relegated to the background:
Ighalo
Akpeyi
Emejiele
And tbh, even Mikel wasn’t at his best any more in 2018. Even here on CE there were complaints that he was “slowing the team down”.
So it’s not the same team in any way.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:23 pm

Up Eagus!!!!!
I disagree.
Our identified ‘weakest links’ in the AFCON team have been replaced or relegated to the background:
Ighalo
Akpeyi
Emejiele
And tbh, even Mikel wasn’t at his best any more in 2018. Even here on CE there were complaints that he was “slowing the team down”.
We have new weak links due to age and loss of form. Our central defenders were in better form in 2019. Etebo’s form in 2019 was much better than today. Same with Collins. Osimhen might be a strong striker but he doesn’t have the guile and holdup play to bring other players into the game that Ighalo had. And I can go on and on.

In 2019 against Algeria, we had more possession, more shots, more shots on target, more corners and a better passing percentage. I doubt we would get similar stats if we play Algeria today.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:42 pm
Damunk wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:23 pm

Up Eagus!!!!!
I disagree.
Ighalo
Akpeyi
Emejiele
We have new weak links due to age and loss of form. Our central defenders were in better form in 2019. Etebo’s form in 2019 was much better than today. Same with Collins. Osimhen might be a strong striker but he doesn’t have the guile and holdup play to bring other players into the game that Ighalo had. And I can go on and on.
Oya, go on and on, make we see.... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
In 2019 against Algeria, we had more possession, more shots, more shots on target, more corners and a better passing percentage. I doubt we would get similar stats if we play Algeria today.
Speculation.
Make we play them first.
I doubt there is a single game against quality opposition that Nigerians have not written us off beforehand.
That is more a reflection of the lack of faith in the team than the stark reality.

No team in Africa - and I mean NONE - will relish playing the SE right now.
You lily-livered guys might have written us off, but I bet you, other Africans haven't. :idea:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Thanks
AFCON is a very important tourney for African countries. It allows one the opportunity to iron out some kinks heading into the World Cup.

Some teams in the past also use it as a pretext to fire their coaches and ask for a wholescale overhaul... Naijaria being a typical example.

Ideally, I will want to win the AFCON on the way to having a credible WC showing.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!