We need to talk about Iwobi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

shaq
Egg
Egg
Re: We need to talk about Iwobi

Post by shaq »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:50 pm
waka-man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:02 pm
maceo4 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:45 pm
waka-man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:12 am I too watched the match. And while the stats are bad, they aren’t far off.
The worrying thing is because they are so short of people, Benitez had to keep shuffling things to find some joy for Iwobi.
So he started him on the left as West Ham had a young lad there. No joy. So Benitez switched him with Grey so Iwobi could play through the middle. All of a sudden the rookie starts looking like a rookie, but Alex disappeared.
It’s really baffling.
It must be in his head because as has been said he is so good in GWG.
But I found myself wondering what happened to that ridiculously talented player we all got so excited about.
It really is cause for alarm as this is his final shot as a top player. Keep this up and I’m not sure a top team will give him a chance again.
Is he a ridiculously talented player? :huh:
I think so. Close-control, two-footed, good finisher, pacey, a great example of the modern attacking player able to play multiple positions.

But if you mean is he using that ridiculous talent right now, no.

Good finisher? At the dinner table? :laugh:
You are very useless :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

What is Iwobi's scoring/finishing rate?

Don't want to come across as mean, as I really like the guy, and he is a talented player no doubt, but just appears weak - in shooting, in challenges/tackle, and especially in the air.

Like someone said, let us accept he is a good, but not the great player we were hoping for. Perhaps he is a confidence type of player (and thrive in an environment where he is not feeling pressure)

Hope the best for him, club and country (he'll be aight)
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

shaq wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:56 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:50 pm
waka-man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:02 pm
maceo4 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:45 pm
waka-man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:12 am I too watched the match. And while the stats are bad, they aren’t far off.
The worrying thing is because they are so short of people, Benitez had to keep shuffling things to find some joy for Iwobi.
So he started him on the left as West Ham had a young lad there. No joy. So Benitez switched him with Grey so Iwobi could play through the middle. All of a sudden the rookie starts looking like a rookie, but Alex disappeared.
It’s really baffling.
It must be in his head because as has been said he is so good in GWG.
But I found myself wondering what happened to that ridiculously talented player we all got so excited about.
It really is cause for alarm as this is his final shot as a top player. Keep this up and I’m not sure a top team will give him a chance again.
Is he a ridiculously talented player? :huh:
I think so. Close-control, two-footed, good finisher, pacey, a great example of the modern attacking player able to play multiple positions.

But if you mean is he using that ridiculous talent right now, no.

Good finisher? At the dinner table? :laugh:
You are very useless :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

What is Iwobi's scoring/finishing rate?

Don't want to come across as mean, as I really like the guy, and he is a talented player no doubt, but just appears weak - in shooting, in challenges/tackle, and especially in the air.

Like someone said, let us accept he is a good, but not the great player we were hoping for. Perhaps he is a confidence type of player (and thrive in an environment where he is not feeling pressure)

Hope the best for him, club and country (he'll be aight)
At this rate, Iwobi is flirting with being rated mediocre…not even “good”. He has the talent but lacks the heart
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Iwobi subbed on vs Watford. No impact on the game so far. Dennis balling though.
OCCUPY NFF!!
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Iwobi is in trouble. One thing I have noticed about Iwobi is that he is not aggressive. You need that, more especially in the Premier League. He is so soft. To be honest, he is Ok with the Super Eagles, not that great.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

See??
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:47 pm Iwobi subbed on vs Watford. No impact on the game so far. Dennis balling though.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Wetin I tok??
highbury wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:52 pm Iwobi is in trouble. One thing I have noticed about Iwobi is that he is not aggressive. You need that, more especially in the Premier League. He is so soft. To be honest, he is Ok with the Super Eagles, not that great.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:58 pm Wetin I tok??
highbury wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:52 pm Iwobi is in trouble. One thing I have noticed about Iwobi is that he is not aggressive. You need that, more especially in the Premier League. He is so soft. To be honest, he is Ok with the Super Eagles, not that great.
:lol: we have autobots on CE. Some are like bushboy who sees nothing good in Osimhen.... also kongi dislIkes iwobi because he isn't yoruba
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

If only Iwobi can find his way to La Liga, as he is still a very good player.
At Arsenal where the ball is mostly kept on the ground and the spaces used, he looks good.
But in the running and gunning style as currently evidenced at Everton, he seems uncomfortable.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

In the 20mins or so that he played he still managed to be the lowest rated player on the pitch. Dead last!

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/15496 ... on-Watford

People just refuse to see the obvious in Iwobi's game, they'll come up with all kinds of excuses to protect him from fair criticism.
He should go to Spain, it's Rafa fault cos he's old and tired, it's the kick and rush game, Kongi is a tribalist etc. Even hushpuppi is being blamed for Iwobi,s lack of performance.

Imho, the problem has festered for so long that his uselessness might not be reversible. Years after breaking through at Arsenal he still doesn't have a position. He's a stop gap player that fills holes wherever he's needed. In his ast 74 games he scored just 7 goals and about 6 assists. These are terrible numbers. Absolutely unacceptable for a player of his caliber.
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:09 am In the 20mins or so that he played he still managed to be the lowest rated player on the pitch. Dead last!

People just refuse to see the obvious in Iwobi's game, they'll come up with all kinds of excuses to protect him from fair criticism.
He should go to Spain, it's Rafa fault cos he's old and tired, it's the kick and rush game, Kongi is a tribalist etc. Even hushpuppi is being blamed for Iwobi,s lack of performance.

Imho, the problem has festered for so long that his uselessness might not be reversible. Years after breaking through at Arsenal he still doesn't have a position. He's a stop gap player that fills holes wherever he's needed. In his ast 74 games he scored just 7 goals and about 6 assists. These are terrible numbers. Absolutely unacceptable for a player of his caliber.
So what do you want us to do about Iwobi? He clearly plays better for SE while you are stressing yourself out about his club career…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I'll always support Iwobi but truth be told... I've given up on him ever having a solid club career, he's 25 and this should be at his prime but unfortunately his trajectory has gone the Dele Alli route. As long as he remains decent for the national team, then I guess it is what it is... Meanwhile the search for a world class creative player continues for us.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

maceo4 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:57 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:09 am In the 20mins or so that he played he still managed to be the lowest rated player on the pitch. Dead last!

So what do you want us to do about Iwobi? He clearly plays better for SE while you are stressing yourself out about his club career…

It's not possible for him to have poor club form and maintain his national team spot, as of today he does not deserve a call up to SE if club form is a criteria for invites. I do not hate Iwobi! I'm disappointed that he hasn't come close to his potential even though he plays better for SE at times,I know his SE performance will ultimately mirror his club form. We have AFCON and hopefully the WC proper all in less than a yr. I don't know about you but I've been following SE too long to see a problem and not say anything, I'm sick of the 2nd rd exits at the WC, that's why I raise the alarm on players that I fear will not perform. It's not just Iwobi I'm worried about, our lack of new talent in CD also makes me shake. We literally don't have a CD in the top leagues except Troost, he's not a Taribo West.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

😂😂😂😂😂 what the heck
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:28 am

It's not possible for him to have poor club form and maintain his national team spot, as of today he does not deserve a call up to SE if club form is a criteria for invites. I do not hate Iwobi! I'm disappointed that he hasn't come close to his potential even though he plays better for SE at times,I know his SE performance will ultimately mirror his club form. We have AFCON and hopefully the WC proper all in less than a yr. I don't know about you but I've been following SE too long to see a problem and not say anything, I'm sick of the 2nd rd exits at the WC, that's why I raise the alarm on players that I fear will not perform. It's not just Iwobi I'm worried about, our lack of new talent in CD also makes me shake. We literally don't have a CD in the top leagues except Troost, he's not a Taribo West.
Well we don’t have many options, so we NEED him, better thing to do is encourage him so he continues to do well for SE. When we have more viable options he will naturally be phased out…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Dude shut your dirty smelly mouth up. When i called for Ebere Eze to be called up way back in 2018 when he wanted to play for Nigeria you retarded self kicked against it because he was "useless". Now fast foward to 3 years later and the SE still has no legit AM. When folks like me critiszed **** for calling up the same old players everytime regardless of club form, you haled **** call ups as the best even though a nutless monkey can see we can do better. Now you reap where you sow. useless ape. :laugh: A whole Nigeria and the best AM is Iwobi's fat @$$$ :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

maceo4 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:39 am

Well we don’t have many options, so we NEED him, better thing to do is encourage him so he continues to do well for SE. When we have more viable options he will naturally be phased out…
That's where we have a philosophical difference of opinion. If he's not it then he needs to step aside for the next man. The AM position is way too important to be messing with a player that can't deliver.
In 94, an upstart 19yr old Okocha benched veteran midfielders and the rest is history.
Wilson Oruma, a much more effective player than Iwobi but never got much of a sniff of the AM position because JJ never ever let it slip,

Mikel, was the annoited AM after JJ, even he lost it to others and got moved to CM. Mikel is also one of the greatest Nigerian players ever, by 2018 Etebo was pushing him for the AM spot after beating out Iwobi.

Today, assuming no injuries. Aribo, Etebo,Ejaria, Nacho and Ejuke deserve a chance to claim that position
Last edited by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA on Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCCUPY NFF!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

No we dont. What the SEs needs is competition in all positions. Iwobi is rubbish for Everton but he does not care because he knows once November hits **** will call him up. I listed like 10 good midfielders that can improve the SE's midfield in the Fenerbache vs Artwep game thread and already folks there pushed back saying those alternates were not "ready" even tho these guys do more in 1 game than Iwobi has done in 2 seasons. :idea:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:23 am

No we dont. What the SEs needs is competition in all positions. Iwobi is rubbish for Everton but he does not care because he knows once November hits **** will call him up. I listed like 10 good midfielders that can improve the SE's midfield in the Fenerbache vs Artwep game thread and already folks there pushed back saying those alternates were not "ready" even tho these guys do more in 1 game than Iwobi has done in 2 seasons. :idea:
They were AMs? I wasn’t aware we had an abundance of them playing at top level. Well then let’s get rid of Iwobi for them…let’s get on the phone with **** and make it happen :thumb:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:23 am

Today, assuming no injuries. Aribo, Etebo,Ejaria, Nacho and Ejuke deserve a chance to claim that position
Etebo and Nacho have already seen plenty of time at AM and have shown to be woeful in that position.

Iwobi is far better than both those players in that position.

Ejaria and Ejuke I would like to see. Aribo could be decent as well but I doubt he'd be any better than Iwobi.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:15 am

Etebo and Nacho have already seen plenty of time at AM and have shown to be woeful in that position.

Ejaria and Ejuke I would like to see. Aribo could be decent as well but I doubt he'd be any better than Iwobi.
I really don’t know why these guys are so focused on Iwobi. Does Musa deserve to be on that team? Should he be selected ahead of the likes of Dennis that we saw today? Weird misplaced priorities…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

maceo4 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:39 am

I really don’t know why these guys are so focused on Iwobi. Does Musa deserve to be on that team? Should he be selected ahead of the likes of Dennis that we saw today? Weird misplaced priorities…

Ahmed Musa. GCON, captain of SE is the highest goal scorer in Nigerian WC history. He has earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt. His potential has already being realized for SE. AFCON winner, 2018, 2014 top SE goal scorer. Have respect pls!
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

No doubt.

Let us rid the team of Musa, Shehu, and Bonke before anybody else is discussed.

Those players have absolutely nothing to offer SE, and there is no tangible reason to call them up with the number of quality options yet to be called or see significant time.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:20 am

Ahmed Musa. GCON, captain of SE is the highest goal scorer in Nigerian WC history. He has earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt. His potential has already being realized for SE. AFCON winner, 2018, 2014 top SE goal scorer. Have respect pls!
Ahhh so selection based on how they perform for SE and not club form…see so you do understand Iwobis continued selection…only issue is Musa has been performing poorly at both club and country recently…
Super Eagus 4 Life!