We need to talk about Iwobi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
We need to talk about Iwobi

Post by Tobi17 »

My goodness what happened to this lad? he showed lots of promise when he came through the ranks of Arsenals academy but he's now utterly bad... ironically he always turns up for Nigeria when2 he dons the GWG. Check out this worrying stats of him in Evertons match against West ham... Everton fans are ripping into him and as a Nigerian I must confess it was very sad and embarrassing to see how he was degraded...

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: We need to talk about Iwobi

Post by vancity eagle »

Cheii this is very worrying.

Iwobi is deteriorating before our very eyes.

Even worse, Rohr has no plan B for him.

If Iwobi is unavailable or if he brings that club form to SE, plan B is to hoof the ball forward to Osimehn, and then bring Musa on for his customary last minutes.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

He just returned from injury he didn't look very fit
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I watched the game and apart from the miss he was very involved in the few attacks West Ham made. But with the 24 hour social media clip cycle, the only thing everyone will see is his miss.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

gochino wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:06 am He just returned from injury he didn't look very fit
When has Iwobi ever looked fit? He's usually gassed by the 55 minute and don't get me started on the turnovers. Give Ejuke an extended run out in his position.

Wha choo looking at?!
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Tbh, I watched the game and he wasn't as bad as projected. He just returned from an injury layoff. How come we don't post the stats for most of the matches he played very well. Once a player has a bad day, we are quick to post the stats and put him on the butcher's table.
For a player returning from injury, if he was terrible, he wouldn't have lasted 79 minutes on the field. The coach would have subbed him earlier.
Last edited by naijaguy on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

I too watched the match. And while the stats are bad, they aren’t far off.
The worrying thing is because they are so short of people, Benitez had to keep shuffling things to find some joy for Iwobi.
So he started him on the left as West Ham had a young lad there. No joy. So Benitez switched him with Grey so Iwobi could play through the middle. All of a sudden the rookie starts looking like a rookie, but Alex disappeared.
It’s really baffling.
It must be in his head because as has been said he is so good in GWG.
But I found myself wondering what happened to that ridiculously talented player we all got so excited about.
It really is cause for alarm as this is his final shot as a top player. Keep this up and I’m not sure a top team will give him a chance again.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

When Iwobi wears the green white green. He balls. Who cares about eveton vs westham
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I've been sounding the alarm on Iwobi for a long time, if his name was Shehu,Ibrahim or Musa he'd have been crucified on CE and his ashes used for fireworks in hell. Fact!
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The only thing I will state is never base the performance on stats alone. There are many other matters, uncapptured by today's stats, that could tell a better story of performance. This BTW is not particular to Iwobi and his play. Stats simply give us a certain or particular aspect of a story.

Ultimately, stats are like maps. They are not the actual territory. Note the difference.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:18 pm The only thing I will state is never base the performance on stats alone. There are many other matters, uncapptured by today's stats, that could tell a better story of performance. This BTW is not particular to Iwobi and his play. Stats simply give us a certain or particular aspect of a story.

Ultimately, stats are like maps. They are not the actual territory. Note the difference.
Yes, but in this case, he was rubbish. I watched the match. I’m a huge Iwobi fan, but his club form in the last few years is incredibly worrying. It doesn’t matter if he plays well in GWG, he’s not developing into the world class talent we all believe his could.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

waka-man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:42 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:18 pm The only thing I will state is never base the performance on stats alone. There are many other matters, uncapptured by today's stats, that could tell a better story of performance. This BTW is not particular to Iwobi and his play. Stats simply give us a certain or particular aspect of a story.

Yes, but in this case, he was rubbish. I watched the match. I’m a huge Iwobi fan, but his club form in the last few years is incredibly worrying. It doesn’t matter if he plays well in GWG, he’s not developing into the world class talent we all believe his could.
you and who setup the notoin of the world class talent he is or was supposed to be ?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

:taunt:
Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:52 pm
waka-man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:42 pm

you and who setup the notoin of the world class talent he is or was supposed to be ?
Not sure I understand your question brother. He’s not fulfilling his potential. Maybe you disagree. That’s cool too.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I watched that game and when it was over, I started thinking through a lot of what is on this thread.

The first and most basic issue is that Alex Iwobi lacks confidence. HOWEVER, he needs to understand that most players - especially most black players - don’t get given these many opportunities. He has been playing like this for 2-3 years..most other Nigerian players would have been shipped to Iceland in a quarter of the time.

Is he talented? Yes. But his lack of confidence makes him hide from the ball, not ask for it, and even when he receives it, fail to do anything meaningful. It’s not the coach. Coach after Coach has given him space to shine. He has the pedigree. His Uncle’s name opens doors for him. It is ALEX.

He says Jay Jay calls him after every game. But I honestly wonder what they talk about. To have such an experienced/accomplished warrior on your side and yet, week after week, you suffer from self-inflicted limitations??
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

naijaguy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:57 am Tbh, I watched the game and he wasn't as bad as projected. He just returned from an injury layoff. How come we don't post the stats for most of the matches he played very well. Once a player has a bad day, we are quick to post the start and put him on the butcher's table.
For a player returning from injury, if he was terrible, he wouldn't have lasted 79 minutes on the field. The coach would have subbed him earlier.
Are you minding them, there just has to be a scapegoat for the fans for every loss. But as long as his boss is happy with his output then who are we to complain? Problem is folks still looking at him as a prime talent rather than the average run of the mill footballer that he has turned out to be. Once we have accepted what he is then we can temper our expectations.

He’s got great feet and ball control but average to below average speed, generally a decent finisher, but is weak on the ball and not great running with it, but makes smart runs without it.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

waka-man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:12 am I too watched the match. And while the stats are bad, they aren’t far off.
The worrying thing is because they are so short of people, Benitez had to keep shuffling things to find some joy for Iwobi.
So he started him on the left as West Ham had a young lad there. No joy. So Benitez switched him with Grey so Iwobi could play through the middle. All of a sudden the rookie starts looking like a rookie, but Alex disappeared.
It’s really baffling.
But I found myself wondering what happened to that ridiculously talented player we all got so excited about.
It really is cause for alarm as this is his final shot as a top player. Keep this up and I’m not sure a top team will give him a chance again.
Is he a ridiculously talented player? :huh:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

maceo4 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:45 pm
waka-man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:12 am I too watched the match. And while the stats are bad, they aren’t far off.
It’s really baffling.
I think so. Close-control, two-footed, good finisher, pacey, a great example of the modern attacking player able to play multiple positions.

But if you mean is he using that ridiculous talent right now, no.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:54 pm I've been sounding the alarm on Iwobi for a long time, if his name was Shehu,Ibrahim or Musa he'd have been crucified on CE and his ashes used for fireworks in hell. Fact!
But maybe not if his name is Zaidu Sanussi right? Because CE has been very supportive of Zaidu despite his slump at club level.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

waka-man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:02 pm
It’s really baffling.
I think so. Close-control, two-footed, good finisher, pacey, a great example of the modern attacking player able to play multiple positions.

Good finisher? At the dinner table? :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

waka-man wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:02 pm
It’s really baffling.

Hmm to me the only above average skill he has is his ball control. He’s actually not that fast (compare his speed to someone like Gray), both with and without the ball. He’s weak shielding/holding on to the ball in traffic. His short passes are good but he’s not the best at long passes or crossing. IMO there is not much exceptional about him, let’s not even mention his low fitness levels. He had great promise in the beginning but hasn’t improved areas of his game that are seriously lacking and he’s just been coasting the last few seasons. That said he should still have a decent career and will be a SE mainstay for a while. But I’m not gonna deceive myself that he is what he isn’t…and it’s not just a confidence thing…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

naijaguy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:57 am Tbh, I watched the game and he wasn't as bad as projected. He just returned from an injury layoff. How come we don't post the stats for most of the matches he played very well. Once a player has a bad day, we are quick to post the start and put him on the butcher's table.
Statistically, he didn’t even have a bad day. He misplaced only one pass. They say he had 0 key passes but in truth he completed every other pass he made and to boot, he was involved in the attack, even though there was no end product. Granted it wasn’t the most productive day he’s ever had but all the hullabaloo is absolutely uncalled for. If he was really that bad, why did the coach wait till only 10 minutes of regulation left to substitute him? I suspect he would probably have played the full 90 minutes if Everton hadn’t conceded a goal❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Exactly! Statistics are like bikinis, they are very revealing but hide the most important part :D
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

lol. I believe it was 2019 that Iwobi went to Dubai and hung out with criminals. When I pointed that out, his father's friends on cybereagles came out with their usual "chuka! chuka! chookooo choo koo! Chuka!"

Since then, the criminal has been arrested by the FBI and is in US custody for stealing millions of dollars through fraud. Iwobi has also consistently been deteriorating.

When someone thinks the gift he has is sufficient for success, then it is clear that the person is not ready to go to the next level in life. Afterall, "JayJay Okocha is my Uncle." :roll:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?