SUPER EAGLES.... Last 10 Games (DISCUSS)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
SUPER EAGLES.... Last 10 Games (DISCUSS)

Post by Enugu II »

#34 NIGERIA

1. Central Africa Republic (Rank #124) 2-0
2. Central Africa Republic 0-1
3. Cape Verde (#Rank #77 ) 2-1
4. Liberia (Rank #144) 2-0
5. Cameroon (Rank #58) 0-0,
6. Cameroon 0-1
7. Lesotho (Rank #145 ) 3 - 0
8. Benin Republic (Rank #82) 1-0
9. Sierra Leone (Rank #108) 0-0
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

RECORD (W-D-L): 5 - 3 - 2

DISCUSS .... Note the ranking differentials between the Super Eagles and their recent opponents (last 10 games).
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SUPER EAGLES.... Last 10 Games (DISCUSS)

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Not bad! We're 3pts away from wining our WC group. Sure we coulda shoulda won a couple more games but the most important result is our standing in the group. All else na beans.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:56 am Not bad! We're 3pts away from wining our WC group. Sure we coulda shoulda won a couple more games but the most important result is our standing in the group. All else na beans.
True that we are still on track but a trend ought to tell you more. What do you think the trend offers here? Great team on an upward trajectory? Let us know.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:58 am
#34 NIGERIA

6. Cameroon 0-1
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

DISCUSS .... Note the ranking differentials between the Super Eagles and their recent opponents (last 10 games).
The last 10 matches have not been great, and I have voiced my opposition to Rohr and dislike of him as a coach in terms of his decision making and callups.

This recent window was the last straw for me.

I am anti-Rohr, but I am also anti-stupid.

I will not take ANY coach over Rohr, but give me a decent option and I'm all in.

I just want to ask for you and all the other's who are anti-Rohr, simply because of an agenda, rather than for any actual reasons.

You do know that Keshi had a similar crappy record and performance within Africa, and I'm not talking about his numerous losses right before he was fired. His team was GARBAGE right before he won the AFCON. (Including some of the first afcon games)

Peru 1 Nigeria 0
Nigeria 1 Namibia 0
Malawi 1 Nigeria 1
Liberia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 6 Liberia 1

2013 AFCON

Nigeria 1 Kenya 1
Kenya 0 Nigeria 1
Namibia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 2 Malawi 0
Ethiopia 1 Nigeria 2
Nigeria 2 Ethiopia 0

My point is if you look at the results from your hero Keshi both before and after the 2013 afcon win, they are similarly unspectacular against much inferior opposition. There really isn't much of a difference between Keshi and Rohr. The only standout performance of these qualifers and friendlies is the 6-1 win over Liberia, but other than that its either low scoring home wins against piss poor opposition, or road draws against piss poor opposition, also the home draw against Kenya.

So Keshi's team was seriously underperforming (just as Rohr's) before both the Nations Cup and World cup success.

The difference is that you and your cohorts WERE DEFENDING KESHI for doing the exact same thing that you are NOW advocating to fire Rohr for.

That is called AGENDA.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:23 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:56 am Not bad! We're 3pts away from wining our WC group. Sure we coulda shoulda won a couple more games but the most important result is our standing in the group. All else na beans.
True that we are still on track but a trend ought to tell you more. What do you think the trend offers here? Great team on an upward trajectory? Let us know.
Looking at the data I just provided, was Keshi's team on an upward trajectory right before they won the AFCON and made it to the 2nd round of the WC ?

Be honest.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Clearly, SE is the only thing that percolates around Van City's thought.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

This is African football we're talking about,data doesn't apply, African teams on an astronomical trajectory that can even win the WC rarely do well. I like where we are, 4th,-8th best, we're a non factor. Senegal,Alfgeria,Tunisia,Morocco,Egypt, CIV, cam and Ghana should all easily knock us da f** out. That's what the data says but on the green grass we shall represent.

Keep your data. I believe in the bumpy pitch sweltering heat olodo ref oracle.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:01 am
#34 NIGERIA

6. Cameroon 0-1
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

The last 10 matches have not been great, and I have voiced my opposition to Rohr and dislike of him as a coach in terms of his decision making and callups.

I will not take ANY coach over Rohr, but give me a decent option and I'm all in.

I just want to ask for you and all the other's who are anti-Rohr, simply because of an agenda, rather than for any actual reasons.

You do know that Keshi had a similar crappy record and performance within Africa, and I'm not talking about his numerous losses right before he was fired. His team was GARBAGE right before he won the AFCON. (Including some of the first afcon games)

Peru 1 Nigeria 0
Nigeria 1 Namibia 0
Malawi 1 Nigeria 1
Liberia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 6 Liberia 1

2013 AFCON

Nigeria 1 Kenya 1
Kenya 0 Nigeria 1
Namibia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 2 Malawi 0
Ethiopia 1 Nigeria 2
Nigeria 2 Ethiopia 0

My point is if you look at the results from your hero Keshi both before and after the 2013 afcon win, they are similarly unspectacular against much inferior opposition. There really isn't much of a difference between Keshi and Rohr. The only standout performance of these qualifers and friendlies is the 6-1 win over Liberia, but other than that its either low scoring home wins against piss poor opposition, or road draws against piss poor opposition, also the home draw against Kenya.

So Keshi's team was seriously underperforming (just as Rohr's) before both the Nations Cup and World cup success.

The difference is that you and your cohorts WERE DEFENDING KESHI for doing the exact same thing that you are NOW advocating to fire Rohr for.

That is called AGENDA.
These are FACTS! Vancity is spot on! We have NEVER had spectacular runs in qualifiers/friendlies prior to tournaments. Infact the most spectacular we've been in qualifiers was in the 2018 WC qualifying considering the caliber of teams in our group and guess who was the coach? Toyin Ibitoye former SE Media officer described it perfectly - NIGERIA IS A TOURNAMENT TEAM!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Adisboy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:11 am
#34 NIGERIA

6. Cameroon 0-1
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

Peru 1 Nigeria 0
Nigeria 1 Namibia 0
Malawi 1 Nigeria 1
Liberia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 6 Liberia 1

2013 AFCON

Nigeria 1 Kenya 1
Kenya 0 Nigeria 1
Namibia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 2 Malawi 0
Ethiopia 1 Nigeria 2
Nigeria 2 Ethiopia 0

That is called AGENDA.
These are FACTS! Vancity is spot on! We have NEVER had spectacular runs in qualifiers/friendlies prior to tournaments. Infact the most spectacular we've been in qualifiers was in the 2018 WC qualifying considering the caliber of teams in our group and guess who was the coach? Toyin Ibitoye former SE Media officer described it perfectly - NIGERIA IS A TOURNAMENT TEAM!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Interesting the way the discussion has turned.
This is supposed to be a Rohr-bashing thread, not a historical lesson on how amazing we have been in pre-tournament qualifications in the past.
So stick to the topic guys!

Abi, Prof? :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Football is not mathematics as the saying goes.

Liberia (rank #144) knocked Sierra Leone (rank #107) out of the World Cup qualifiers.

Yes we’ve had a poor run of results against lower ranked teams. We’ve also had decent results against higher ranked teams like Brazil and Ukraine.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

#34 NIGERIA

6. Cameroon 0-1
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

Peru 1 Nigeria 0
Nigeria 1 Namibia 0
Malawi 1 Nigeria 1
Liberia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 6 Liberia 1

2013 AFCON

Nigeria 1 Kenya 1
Kenya 0 Nigeria 1
Namibia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 2 Malawi 0
Ethiopia 1 Nigeria 2
Nigeria 2 Ethiopia 0

That is called AGENDA.
LOL. VE why pick and choose games to report instead of looking at a stretch of games so that one can estimate a trend. Unfortunately, the gullible ones have swallowed the posts assuming a trend when all VE has done is pick and choose some games.

To measure a trend, you do not pick games to suit a narrative. Pick a 10 game stretch and let us see what the results are.

In any case, even in Keshi's era you can locate a stretch of games with poor results and that ultimately led to his replacement. The idea of Rohr's 10 games is to point out a trend. It does not look good. Take note as long of the ranking of teams played during that stretch including a monumental loss at home and a shock draw at home against teams decidedly ranked below Nigeria. Those are facts and they are not based on picking games here and there. We want to be able to guage a trend. That is the key point. It matters.
Last edited by Enugu II on Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:16 pm
#34 NIGERIA

6. Cameroon 0-1
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

Peru 1 Nigeria 0
Nigeria 1 Namibia 0
Malawi 1 Nigeria 1
Liberia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 6 Liberia 1

2013 AFCON

Nigeria 1 Kenya 1
Kenya 0 Nigeria 1
Namibia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 2 Malawi 0
Ethiopia 1 Nigeria 2
Nigeria 2 Ethiopia 0

That is called AGENDA.
LOL. VE why pick and choose games to report instead if looking at a stretch of games so that one can estimate a trend. Unfortunately, the gullible have swallowed the posts assuming a trend when all VE has done is pick and choose some games.

To measure a trend, you do not pick games to suit a narrative. Pick a 10 game stretch and let us see what the results are.

In any case, even in Keshi's era you can locate a stretch of games with poor results and that ultimately led to his replacement. The idea of Rohr's 10 games is to point out a trend. It does not look good. Take note as long of the ranking of teams played during that stretch including a monumental loss at home and a shock draw at home against teams decidedly ranked below Nigeria. Those are facts and they are not based on picking games here and there. We want to be able to guage a trend. That is the key point. It matters.
It doesn't have to be a 10 game stretch.

What I did was provide a stretch of games that were QUALIFIERS and FRIENDLIES.

The obvious reason being that tournament football is an entirely different thing. The data I provided is not random, it is in chronological order, so you can also see trends.

The lead up to Keshis 2 tournaments were just as bad as this current run by Rohr.

Rohrs first 2 pre tournament runs, were actually much better than Keshis. But the outcome of the tourney proper was worse.

Moral of the story, pre tournament runs are almost meaningless. Unless of course you FAIL to qualify for that tournament, as we all saw with Keshi.

So I ask again, why are you advocating Rohr to be fired for doing the same thing you defended Keshi for ?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

#34 NIGERIA

6. Cameroon 0-1
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

Peru 1 Nigeria 0
Nigeria 1 Namibia 0
Malawi 1 Nigeria 1
Liberia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 6 Liberia 1

2013 AFCON

Nigeria 1 Kenya 1
Kenya 0 Nigeria 1
Namibia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 2 Malawi 0
Ethiopia 1 Nigeria 2
Nigeria 2 Ethiopia 0

That is called AGENDA.
If you allow yourself to take the blinders off, you’ll acknowledge that Keshi accomplished a lot more, with fewer resources, than Rohr. One can only imagine what Keshi would have accomplished with the resources and talent available to Rohr… and that is the crux of the matter. Rohr isn’t making good use of the resources available to him. In a sane world, he ought to be gone❗️

Cheers.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The idea that Rohr had so much more talent to work with is a bit misleading.

Mikel, Moses, Onazi, Enyeama, Odemwingie, would all walk into Rohrs starting 11.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

You will notice in most of those games Rohr has played a 4-4-2 and in a few instances tried Iheanacho or Musa in a central/AM role. 10 games is enough data to scrap a plan that's not working.
#34 NIGERIA

6. Cameroon 0-1
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Onazi tailed off dramatically after his World Cup injury, probably a mental thing and Odemwingie, while talented, was not a team player. Conversely, most of Rohr’s squad would have displaced previous squads members had they been around❗️

Cheers.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

olu wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:20 pm You will notice in most of those games Rohr has played a 4-4-2 and in a few instances tried Iheanacho or Musa in a central/AM role. 10 games is enough data to scrap a plan that's not working.
#34 NIGERIA

6. Cameroon 0-1
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

Good observation.

I have been saying the same.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

For a variety of reasons, I think SE coaches should be judged on qualifications and in-tournament performance. Those are the only times the resources of the State and Administration are marshaled towards the success of the team…at least in relative terms.

So I’m not one for the trajectory talk to be honest. When it comes to the SE, I’ve seen it all before. Let’s judge Rohr on the big picture results, his qualification and his performance in tournaments. For all his faults, Rohr prosecutes the smoothest qualification exercises I have ever seen SE coaches deliver. No prayer and fasting. No heart in mouth. No “African Politics” necessary. He qualifies.

The charge is clear this Afcon. Below Semis, and he’s out. Below Finals and he MAY be out too. We will see soon enough
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:06 pm
Enugu II wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:16 pm
#34 NIGERIA

6. Cameroon 0-1
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

Peru 1 Nigeria 0
Nigeria 1 Namibia 0
Malawi 1 Nigeria 1
Liberia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 6 Liberia 1

2013 AFCON

Nigeria 1 Kenya 1
Kenya 0 Nigeria 1
Namibia 1 Nigeria 1
Nigeria 2 Malawi 0
Ethiopia 1 Nigeria 2
Nigeria 2 Ethiopia 0

That is called AGENDA.
LOL. VE why pick and choose games to report instead if looking at a stretch of games so that one can estimate a trend. Unfortunately, the gullible have swallowed the posts assuming a trend when all VE has done is pick and choose some games.

It doesn't have to be a 10 game stretch.

What I did was provide a stretch of games that were QUALIFIERS and FRIENDLIES.

The obvious reason being that tournament football is an entirely different thing. The data I provided is not random, it is in chronological order, so you can also see trends.

The lead up to Keshis 2 tournaments were just as bad as this current run by Rohr.

Rohrs first 2 pre tournament runs, were actually much better than Keshis. But the outcome of the tourney proper was worse.

Moral of the story, pre tournament runs are almost meaningless. Unless of course you FAIL to qualify for that tournament, as we all saw with Keshi.

So I ask again, why are you advocating Rohr to be fired for doing the same thing you defended Keshi for ?
It has TO BE. That is only how you measure a trend which is the question here.

What you tried to do here is pull a wool over people's eyes. I guess you successfully did that with those who do not know any better. The issue is a trend analysis. If you searched hard enough you will actually locate a similar trend under Keshi towards the end of his tenure but certainly not the selective records you tried to push on the undiscerning.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

#34 NIGERIA

6. Cameroon 0-1
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

We are not a good team... we only beat teams by happenchance.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:28 am
#34 NIGERIA

6. Cameroon 0-1
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

Cell

I feel that if this trend is indeed visionary, then we all must be concerned and have to ask questions. We just do not sit down and chuckle. What can Rohr consider to turn this around? At this rate there is no guarantee that we can overcome Cape Verde at home eventhough that us crucial for our World Cup campaign. What are things that Rohr can consider? Is it simply the playing surface at home? I doubt it. Is it a need to rejig the side? Maybe. What else can be done to shake the trend?
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:36 am
Cellular wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:28 am
#34 NIGERIA

6. Cameroon 0-1
10. Sierra Leone 4-4

Cell

I feel that if this trend is indeed visionary, then we all must be concerned and have to ask questions. We just do not sit down and chuckle. What can Rohr consider to turn this around? At this rate there is no guarantee that we can overcome Cape Verde at home eventhough that us crucial for our World Cup campaign. What are things that Rohr can consider? Is it simply the playing surface at home? I doubt it. Is it a need to rejig the side? Maybe. What else can be done to shake the trend?
Prof, I know that you have been around long enough to know the antecedents of the SE since the late 80's. With that you should know that it makes no sense using a trend of games to predict what the future performance of the SE would be.

VanCity provided you with the results of matches prior to and after our AFCON 2013 triumph. We all know that nobody could confidently say we would win the AFCON that year based on our pre-performances. We were not even in the conversation till we showed what we are " we rise to the occasion"! As I pointed earlier we have never had a great run of games prior to any of our greatest triumphs e.g. 1994 & 2013 AFCONs, 1996 Olympics etc.

It is very wrong to base our presumption of what will happen based on current run of results. E.g we lost at home 3-1 to Togo before leaving for Atlanta, prior to the 1994 WC we won only against Georgia (European minnow) out of the friendlies we played - lost 2nil to Romania & 3-1 to Sweden. Prior to AFCON 2013 we drew with Cape Verde 0-0, etc. In qualifying for the 2014 WC, we never scored more than twice in any of the qualifiers againts the likes of Malawi, Namibia, Kenya & Ethiopia. Infact in the prior group stage (similar format to the current qualifiers) we finished with 12 points from 6 games - 3 wins & 3 draws. Considering the opposition and the fact that we were African champions one would have expected us to win all 6, but that has never been the SE's modus operandi.

Rohr clearly has one of the best records qualifying for tournament in that it normally doesn't get down to the last match but has only been to one AFCON & one WC with us. Another reason why this "trend" analysis is useless is if you look at the last AFCON, we started with 2 1-0 wins in the 1st 2 games against Burundi & Guinea, then lost 2-0 to Madagascar. Going by your trend, it would have been a certainty that in the round of 16 game against Cameroun, we would have been eliminated, but we all know what happened.

If we go back to 1994, Cameroon & Morocco had better records in qualifying than Nigeria, but we were miles ahead at the tournament proper. The typical scenario for the SE is qualify for the tournament (no matter how), then perform in the tournament proper. In all the matches we have played this year, probably except for the 2nd friendly game against Cameroun, we have dominated the games. There was not one in which our team was hanging on so i do not see what the issues are.

If we don't underate teams in the next 2 games we qualify. We should all just chill and judge this team in the tournaments proper, any other assumption makes no sense.
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

Am surprised no one is seeing the reality that we will put up a very poor show at the next AFCON in January, i expect Rohr to be sacked immediately after.
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS