Salisu Yusuf is back as Assistant coach

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Re: Salisu Yusuf is back as Assistant coach

Post by Otitokoro »

TXJ,
What are you talking about?
Its obvious the NFF did not have an ABC (Anti-bribery and Corruption) Policy, which would have defined what and what was not acceptable as 'Gifts' or 'Facilitation Payments'. In lieu of that policy, an investigative panel was established to provide guidance on the next course of action by the NFF.

The investigative panel established that the 'payment' could not be established as a 'bribe' (- persuading someone to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement), as the 2 players involved were and had always been, a part of the starting 11. It was thus determined that Salisu did exercise very poor judgement in receiving the funds, as he gave the 'perception' of taking a bribe (even though it couldn't technically be defined as a bribe for the above reasons). He was subsequently punished for his misdemeanor, which led to his suspension from the National Team set up. Again, bear in mind that both CAF and FIFA sanctioned this punishment (they had the opportunity to reject Nigeria's recommendation and insist on further punishment for Salisu. CAF and FIFA did neither, as they tacitly agreed with the recommended punishment from the Nigerian Football body).

In the absence of 'minimum standards' which you refer to, you cannot then decide to throw the book at someone just because 'you' feel its the right thing to do. Salisu has been punished according to the recommendations of the Nigerian football body (which was sanctioned by CAF and FIFA). He did the 'crime' and has served the time (he even served an extra one year above the recommendation). He should be allowed to resume his life.
txj wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:27 pm Its about standards and setting minimum standards in public service.

Without standards, you do not have a country that is truly functional.

The problem with Nigeria is exactly attitude like is shown here by EII and Wanajo.
The problem with Nigeria is US.

We are the ones who make excuses all the time...We are the ones using our education to make justifications for all manner of despicable conduct....
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Are you listening to yourself? Can you read the semantic jargon you wrote below again with a straight face?
In otherwords, Christian Emeruwas was wrong about the NFF's conduct policy?

CAF and FIFA cannot stipulate the severity of the punishment. That is a function of how serious our own FA takes it...So don't give me that crap about CAF...

Otitokoro wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:15 pm TXJ,
Its obvious the NFF did not have an ABC (Anti-bribery and Corruption) Policy, which would have defined what and what was not acceptable as 'Gifts' or 'Facilitation Payments'. In lieu of that policy, an investigative panel was established to provide guidance on the next course of action by the NFF.

The investigative panel established that the 'payment' could not be established as a 'bribe' (- persuading someone to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement), as the 2 players involved were and had always been, a part of the starting 11. It was thus determined that Salisu did exercise very poor judgement in receiving the funds, as he gave the 'perception' of taking a bribe (even though it couldn't technically be defined as a bribe for the above reasons). He was subsequently punished for his misdemeanor, which led to his suspension from the National Team set up. Again, bear in mind that both CAF and FIFA sanctioned this punishment (they had the opportunity to reject Nigeria's recommendation and insist on further punishment for Salisu. CAF and FIFA did neither, as they tacitly agreed with the recommended punishment from the Nigerian Football body).

In the absence of 'minimum standards' which you refer to, you cannot then decide to throw the book at someone just because 'you' feel its the right thing to do. Salisu has been punished according to the recommendations of the Nigerian football body (which was sanctioned by CAF and FIFA). He did the 'crime' and has served the time (he even served an extra one year above the recommendation). He should be allowed to resume his life.
txj wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:27 pm Its about standards and setting minimum standards in public service.

The problem with Nigeria is exactly attitude like is shown here by EII and Wanajo.

We are the ones who make excuses all the time...We are the ones using our education to make justifications for all manner of despicable conduct....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Maybe you should go back and read what he wrote again. As a former NFF officer, he wasn't satisfied with the outcome and offered 'his' opinion on what the punishment 'should' have been.

Colin Udoh should have pushed back and asked him the question of why did CAF and FIFA sanction the punishment meted out to Salisu, by the NFF Disciplinary committee, if according to him, it was indeed a violation of the FIFA Ethics Code of conduct? Why did CAF and/or FIFA choose NOT to over-ride the NFF Disciplinary committee's recommendation and impose a stiffer punishment that, as he stated, would have been in line with the 'Resist, Renounce and Reject' FIFA protocol?
Both CAF and FIFA had EVERY opportunity to do so, particularly as this incident happened outside Nigeria and thus, fell under the purview of CAF, but opted to abstain. Why? We have seen them do this multiple times in the past for alleged bribery cases, so why not in this case?

Instead of you just gobbling up what this Christian Emeruwa fellow opined as the gospel truth, try and think through why Salisu didn't have a lifetime ban imposed on him by either CAF or FIFA. Perhaps that would help you understand what I wrote better.
txj wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:47 pm Are you listening to yourself? Can you read the semantic jargon you wrote below again with a straight face?

CAF and FIFA cannot stipulate the severity of the punishment. That is a function of how serious our own FA takes it...So don't give me that crap about CAF...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj,

What happened to the original theory that it was a Nigerian thing? Then that it was not in the public sector? :idea: You may want to shift the goal posts again after reading the one below. Maybe it is not the political system this time but the fact that it isn't soccer. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

https://www.nbc12.com/2019/08/22/former ... ezzlement/

Perhaps, you will suddenly have the lights turned on to understand that the point is not where the incident took place or the sport but an understanding of the rethinking about offering a second chance or not.
txj wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:52 pm First of all your examples are not appropriate. Like I said, it is often sad to see us Nigerians use our education to provide justification for bad behavior...This is why Nigeria continues to fail!

You should cite a related public example from football; not one from a political system which is subject to myriad political variables. We are the reason we continue to fail, cus of infinite willingness to justify bad behavior...

Will the USSF or the EFA accept to rehire someone in Salisu's position?

The argument is about standards. I cited the public service angle because of standards in the public service, of which the SE job belongs...

The NFF has Integrity Guidelines and FIFA Ethics Code. That's why I cited the security officer's comments.

Nobody advocates that Salisu should be punished for life from ever working. That's a strawman argument. There is work in the private football sector!

Nobody has a birth right to coach the SE.

Enugu II wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:41 am txj

But the argument is not about whether the Super Eagles job is a public service or not. That is NOT the crux of my point. However, if you want to delve into that and insistence on comparing to the Western world I urge you to check out the following:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/elected ... d=78993840
https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/20 ... d-pardons/

I wonder if the above constitutes public service, I ask. :???:

Now, lets be clear. Salisu never was imprisoned for a crime nor was he ever convicted by the state, as far as I am aware. I want to make that clear. The only reason I have used far fetched examples of criminals who were convicted and jailed is to point out that even those who have exemplified the extreme have returned to civil society to serve the public in climes that you often refer as beacon. Yet, Salisu was alleged to have committed a crime (that he disputed as not in violation) but was duly punished administratively for it. That administrative punishment is over and yet.......

The above are poeople elected and appointed to serve the public. They are not in private service, BTW. One was previously convicted for murder and the other served time but was appointed to serve on a public Board. I purposely sought to site examples from the USA, and not Africa or Nigeria.

Nevertheless the above is not even my main point.

My point is that someone has served his punishment and that should wipe his slate clean in a just society. No one should be eternally punished. It makes little sense especially in a case that was not even capital or high crime case as long as the person has served time and has demonstrated contrition. That is the bottomline point that I make.

txj wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:07 pm Public service is not a right, but a privilege. That is why it is guarded strictly.

Public service is about Nigeria. Its about the collective. Its about Nigerian humanity...

Nobody has said he should not work to earn a living, but not as a holder of a public trust.

Which means he should explore opportunities in the private sector.

The only thing Salisu is entitled to is an equal opportunity to serve the public; in this case the SE.

But he doesn't have a birth right to be in the SE.

Why would a man found guilty of receiving bribes and abusing his position as coach of the SE be allowed back in the same position in the name of forgiveness?

Based on your analogy we should as well pardon and return a child rapist to his position as a day care staff!!!!

You have to have standards EII. In the US where u live and work, such a conduct would never ever be tolerated. So why in the world are u here making excuses?

Enugu II wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:52 pm Unfortunately, this is not about Nigeria but about humanity. People make errors but errors should not condemn one for life. Txj, i bet you have made errors in your life. As long as you or any one sincerely makes a mens for such errors, in my view, tgat should not condemn you or anyone else for life. This idea tgat an erro error like this cannot be forgiven is plain ridiculous. He has not taken a life. Has he? Even if he has, that does not mean that he should be c I needed for life. I just don't agree with such. Glad that many places in the one is coming to grip with that view on crime. Y ears of being unforgiving on crime has not led the world to become better place and that is why the view on these things have changed with the times.

Christian Emeruwa, NFF's former National Integrity Officer, who is now Head of CAF's Safety and Security Department, was not pleased by the new development, saying Yusuf should have been banned for life.

Emeruwa told ESPN: "The offense committed by the coach is one of those offenses, as outlined in the NFF's Integrity Guidelines and FIFA Ethics Code, that should have led to a life ban.

"But in the wisdom of the NFF Disciplinary Committee, they decided to give him a suspension. And now they have decided to call him back.

"But on the basis of the FIFA Ethics Code, he should have been banned for life. The protocol is clear: resist, renounce and report.

"If you do not do any of those, you are culpable. Not to talk of someone that as caught on camera collecting money. And it was proved beyond reasonable doubt. I would say he is very lucky not just to get away without a life ban, but to be offered his job back again."

https://africa.espn.com/football/nigeri ... g-job-back
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Are u not at all embarrassed by the examples you post?

Hermitage High School? Really? As compared to the Nigerian Football Federation?

Next u will be siting me an example from an Indian Reservation in Saskachewan :???:

I think that u deliberately seek to obfuscate in order to get away from a debate....

The issue has always been about STANDARDS. Standard in the public service, in this specific case, standard in the Nigerian public service of which the NFF is a part...

It has not changed, no matter ur pitiful attempt to sidetrack from this...

Enugu II wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:55 pm txj,

What happened to the original theory that it was a Nigerian thing? Then that it was not in the public sector? :idea: You may want to shift the goal posts again after reading the one below. Maybe it is not the political system this time but the fact that it isn't soccer. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Perhaps, you will suddenly have the lights turned on to understand that the point is not where the incident took place or the sport but an understanding of the rethinking about offering a second chance or not.
txj wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:52 pm First of all your examples are not appropriate. Like I said, it is often sad to see us Nigerians use our education to provide justification for bad behavior...This is why Nigeria continues to fail!

You should cite a related public example from football; not one from a political system which is subject to myriad political variables. We are the reason we continue to fail, cus of infinite willingness to justify bad behavior...

The argument is about standards. I cited the public service angle because of standards in the public service, of which the SE job belongs...

The NFF has Integrity Guidelines and FIFA Ethics Code. That's why I cited the security officer's comments.

Nobody advocates that Salisu should be punished for life from ever working. That's a strawman argument. There is work in the private football sector!

But the argument is not about whether the Super Eagles job is a public service or not. That is NOT the crux of my point. However, if you want to delve into that and insistence on comparing to the Western world I urge you to check out the following:

Now, lets be clear. Salisu never was imprisoned for a crime nor was he ever convicted by the state, as far as I am aware. I want to make that clear. The only reason I have used far fetched examples of criminals who were convicted and jailed is to point out that even those who have exemplified the extreme have returned to civil society to serve the public in climes that you often refer as beacon. Yet, Salisu was alleged to have committed a crime (that he disputed as not in violation) but was duly punished administratively for it. That administrative punishment is over and yet.......

The above are poeople elected and appointed to serve the public. They are not in private service, BTW. One was previously convicted for murder and the other served time but was appointed to serve on a public Board. I purposely sought to site examples from the USA, and not Africa or Nigeria.

My point is that someone has served his punishment and that should wipe his slate clean in a just society. No one should be eternally punished. It makes little sense especially in a case that was not even capital or high crime case as long as the person has served time and has demonstrated contrition. That is the bottomline point that I make.

txj wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:07 pm Public service is not a right, but a privilege. That is why it is guarded strictly.

Public service is about Nigeria. Its about the collective. Its about Nigerian humanity...

Nobody has said he should not work to earn a living, but not as a holder of a public trust.

The only thing Salisu is entitled to is an equal opportunity to serve the public; in this case the SE.

Why would a man found guilty of receiving bribes and abusing his position as coach of the SE be allowed back in the same position in the name of forgiveness?

Based on your analogy we should as well pardon and return a child rapist to his position as a day care staff!!!!

You have to have standards EII. In the US where u live and work, such a conduct would never ever be tolerated. So why in the world are u here making excuses?

Enugu II wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:52 pm Unfortunately, this is not about Nigeria but about humanity. People make errors but errors should not condemn one for life. Txj, i bet you have made errors in your life. As long as you or any one sincerely makes a mens for such errors, in my view, tgat should not condemn you or anyone else for life. This idea tgat an erro error like this cannot be forgiven is plain ridiculous. He has not taken a life. Has he? Even if he has, that does not mean that he should be c I needed for life. I just don't agree with such. Glad that many places in the one is coming to grip with that view on crime. Y ears of being unforgiving on crime has not led the world to become better place and that is why the view on these things have changed with the times.

Christian Emeruwa, NFF's former National Integrity Officer, who is now Head of CAF's Safety and Security Department, was not pleased by the new development, saying Yusuf should have been banned for life.

Emeruwa told ESPN: "The offense committed by the coach is one of those offenses, as outlined in the NFF's Integrity Guidelines and FIFA Ethics Code, that should have led to a life ban.

"But in the wisdom of the NFF Disciplinary Committee, they decided to give him a suspension. And now they have decided to call him back.

"But on the basis of the FIFA Ethics Code, he should have been banned for life. The protocol is clear: resist, renounce and report.

"If you do not do any of those, you are culpable. Not to talk of someone that as caught on camera collecting money. And it was proved beyond reasonable doubt. I would say he is very lucky not just to get away without a life ban, but to be offered his job back again."

https://africa.espn.com/football/nigeri ... g-job-back

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

You are the one lacking here not Colin Udoh.

The NFF has chosen the low bar for discipline. In otherwords, they have done the minimum necessary and there's nothing CAF or FIFA can do about what is a local issue.

This is in contrast from the Siasia case.

Otitokoro wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:15 pm Maybe you should go back and read what he wrote again. As a former NFF officer, he wasn't satisfied with the outcome and offered 'his' opinion on what the punishment 'should' have been.

Colin Udoh should have pushed back and asked him the question of why did CAF and FIFA sanction the punishment meted out to Salisu, by the NFF Disciplinary committee, if according to him, it was indeed a violation of the FIFA Ethics Code of conduct? Why did CAF and/or FIFA choose NOT to over-ride the NFF Disciplinary committee's recommendation and impose a stiffer punishment that, as he stated, would have been in line with the 'Resist, Renounce and Reject' FIFA protocol?
Both CAF and FIFA had EVERY opportunity to do so, particularly as this incident happened outside Nigeria and thus, fell under the purview of CAF, but opted to abstain. Why? We have seen them do this multiple times in the past for alleged bribery cases, so why not in this case?

Instead of you just gobbling up what this Christian Emeruwa fellow opined as the gospel truth, try and think through why Salisu didn't have a lifetime ban imposed on him by either CAF or FIFA. Perhaps that would help you understand what I wrote better.
txj wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:47 pm Are you listening to yourself? Can you read the semantic jargon you wrote below again with a straight face?

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Na wah for you, you just like arguing sha.... :lol: :lol:
The same Christian Emeruwa WAS a part of the process at the time.
The committee was headed by Nuhu Ribadu, then EFCC and an Anti-corruption official.
Below is a summary of the investigative panels findings, at the time. Enjoy...
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have banned Super Eagles coach Salisu Yusuf for a year and fined $5,000 after he was found guilty of receiving cash from undercover journalists posing as football agents.

In a report submitted to the NFF after Salisu Yusuf was invited to state his own side of matters, the NFF ethics and fair committee headed by Nuhu Ribadu said it:

1) Established from the admission of Coach Salisu Yusuf and also found as a fact from the documentary and video evidence before it, that he accepted the cash gift of $1,000 offered by Tigers Player’s Agency, an undercover reporter, purportedly interested in acting on behalf of Players Osas Okoro and Rabiu Ali, for their inclusion in the list of players for 2018 CHAN Competition in Morocco.

2) The Committee found as a fact that it was not an error of judgment on the part of Coach Salisu Yusuf but a conscious and deliberate decision to have accepted the cash gift of $1,000 from the decoy player agent/undercover reporter, purportedly interested in acting on behalf of Players Osas Okoro and Rabiu Ali, even though the evidence before the Committee did not establish that his conduct influenced the choice of the two players.

3) That the two players could have made the team to 2018 CHAN Competition in Morocco on the basis of their talent and performance.

4) That coach Salisu Yusuf did not accept the offer of 15% of the anticipated transfer fees of the said players, as there was no follow –up action on the promise.

5) That the act of the coach, which was widely published on the British Broadcasting Corporation, has a damaging effect on the reputation and integrity of Nigerian Football, as he ought to have conducted himself more professionally in line with the Code of Conduct signed alongside his Contract with the Nigeria Football Federation, as his conduct in public and in secret should be exemplary, since coaches are role models.

6) That the FIFA Code of Ethics, NFF Code of Ethics and FIFA Disciplinary Code, did not contemplate negligence or error of judgment as a defence to violation of any of the provisions as contained therein, as punitive measures must be adopted to serve as deterrent to other intending offenders, even though, that he is a first time offender.

Committee’s decision: “In accordance with Art. 22, FIFA Disciplinary Code, he is hereby banned for the period of one year, from partaking or involvement or participation in any football related activity, effective from the date of this decision. He is also fined in the sum of $5,000 to be paid within three (3) months of the date of this decision…” The Committee also ruled that an appeal against the decision can be made to the NFF Appeals Committee.

With Mainasara Illo (Member), Justin Chidi Okoroji (Member) and Joshua Onoja (Secretary) also present, the committee said it passed its verdict of guilt on the defendant based on Art. 20, as well as Art. 21 (1) and 21 (3) of the NFF Code of Ethics. It also made reference to Art. 10 and 11 of the FIFA Code of Ethics.

Art. 20: “Persons bound by this Code may only offer or accept gifts or other benefits to and from persons within or outside NFF, or in conjunction with intermediaries or related parties as defined in this Code, which i) have symbolic or trivial value ii) exclude any influence for the execution or omission of an act that is related to their official activities or falls within their discretion iii) are not contrary to their duties iv) did not create any undue pecuniary or other advantage and v) did not create a conflict of interest.

Art 21 (1): “Persons bound by this Code must not offer, promise, give or accept any personal or undue pecuniary advantage or other advantage in order to obtain or retain business or any other improper advantage to or from anyone within or outside NFF. Such acts are prohibited; regardless of whether carried out directly or indirectly through, or in conjunction with, intermediaries or related parties as defined in this Code. In particular, persons bound by this Code must not offer, promise, give or accept any undue pecuniary or other advance for the execution or omission of an act that is related to their official activities and is contrary to their duties or falls within their discretion. Any such offer must be reported to the Ethics Committee and any failure to do so shall be sanctionable in accordance with this Code.”

Art. 21 (3): “Persons bound by this Code must refrain from any activity or behaviour that might give rise to the appearance or suspicion of improper conduct as described in the foregoing sections, or any attempt thereof.”

Before the Committee’s sitting, the NFF Integrity Unit headed by Dr. Christian Emeruwa, which commenced preliminary investigation when the documentary was first made public, had already submitted a report to the NFF General Secretary based on its work.
txj wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:21 pm You are the one lacking here not Colin Udoh.

The NFF has chosen the low bar for discipline. In otherwords, they have done the minimum necessary and there's nothing CAF or FIFA can do about what is a local issue.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I am familiar with the report, so you are not sharing anything new to me....Perhaps I'm supposed to be impressed by mentioning EFCC?

Like I said, the NFF opted the low bar for punishment, period...

Otitokoro wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:27 pm Na wah for you, you just like arguing sha.... :lol: :lol:
The same Christian Emeruwa WAS a part of the process at the time.
The committee was headed by Nuhu Ribadu, then EFCC and an Anti-corruption official.
Below is a summary of the investigative panels findings, at the time. Enjoy...
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have banned Super Eagles coach Salisu Yusuf for a year and fined $5,000 after he was found guilty of receiving cash from undercover journalists posing as football agents.

In a report submitted to the NFF after Salisu Yusuf was invited to state his own side of matters, the NFF ethics and fair committee headed by Nuhu Ribadu said it:

1) Established from the admission of Coach Salisu Yusuf and also found as a fact from the documentary and video evidence before it, that he accepted the cash gift of $1,000 offered by Tigers Player’s Agency, an undercover reporter, purportedly interested in acting on behalf of Players Osas Okoro and Rabiu Ali, for their inclusion in the list of players for 2018 CHAN Competition in Morocco.

2) The Committee found as a fact that it was not an error of judgment on the part of Coach Salisu Yusuf but a conscious and deliberate decision to have accepted the cash gift of $1,000 from the decoy player agent/undercover reporter, purportedly interested in acting on behalf of Players Osas Okoro and Rabiu Ali, even though the evidence before the Committee did not establish that his conduct influenced the choice of the two players.

3) That the two players could have made the team to 2018 CHAN Competition in Morocco on the basis of their talent and performance.

4) That coach Salisu Yusuf did not accept the offer of 15% of the anticipated transfer fees of the said players, as there was no follow –up action on the promise.

5) That the act of the coach, which was widely published on the British Broadcasting Corporation, has a damaging effect on the reputation and integrity of Nigerian Football, as he ought to have conducted himself more professionally in line with the Code of Conduct signed alongside his Contract with the Nigeria Football Federation, as his conduct in public and in secret should be exemplary, since coaches are role models.

6) That the FIFA Code of Ethics, NFF Code of Ethics and FIFA Disciplinary Code, did not contemplate negligence or error of judgment as a defence to violation of any of the provisions as contained therein, as punitive measures must be adopted to serve as deterrent to other intending offenders, even though, that he is a first time offender.

Committee’s decision: “In accordance with Art. 22, FIFA Disciplinary Code, he is hereby banned for the period of one year, from partaking or involvement or participation in any football related activity, effective from the date of this decision. He is also fined in the sum of $5,000 to be paid within three (3) months of the date of this decision…” The Committee also ruled that an appeal against the decision can be made to the NFF Appeals Committee.

With Mainasara Illo (Member), Justin Chidi Okoroji (Member) and Joshua Onoja (Secretary) also present, the committee said it passed its verdict of guilt on the defendant based on Art. 20, as well as Art. 21 (1) and 21 (3) of the NFF Code of Ethics. It also made reference to Art. 10 and 11 of the FIFA Code of Ethics.

Art. 20: “Persons bound by this Code may only offer or accept gifts or other benefits to and from persons within or outside NFF, or in conjunction with intermediaries or related parties as defined in this Code, which i) have symbolic or trivial value ii) exclude any influence for the execution or omission of an act that is related to their official activities or falls within their discretion iii) are not contrary to their duties iv) did not create any undue pecuniary or other advantage and v) did not create a conflict of interest.

Art 21 (1): “Persons bound by this Code must not offer, promise, give or accept any personal or undue pecuniary advantage or other advantage in order to obtain or retain business or any other improper advantage to or from anyone within or outside NFF. Such acts are prohibited; regardless of whether carried out directly or indirectly through, or in conjunction with, intermediaries or related parties as defined in this Code. In particular, persons bound by this Code must not offer, promise, give or accept any undue pecuniary or other advance for the execution or omission of an act that is related to their official activities and is contrary to their duties or falls within their discretion. Any such offer must be reported to the Ethics Committee and any failure to do so shall be sanctionable in accordance with this Code.”

Art. 21 (3): “Persons bound by this Code must refrain from any activity or behaviour that might give rise to the appearance or suspicion of improper conduct as described in the foregoing sections, or any attempt thereof.”

Before the Committee’s sitting, the NFF Integrity Unit headed by Dr. Christian Emeruwa, which commenced preliminary investigation when the documentary was first made public, had already submitted a report to the NFF General Secretary based on its work.
txj wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:21 pm You are the one lacking here not Colin Udoh.

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

That's your take.
The power's that be, based on the prevailing statutes and guidelines at the time, opted for a penalty they deemed fair and equitable for the misdemeanor.
Football's overarching governing body (FIFA) agreed. Punishment has been served and defendant can carry on with his life.
Your preferred punishment, even though irrelevant in this case (case has been decided), has been taken into advisement.
Thanks for the debate. Cheers!
txj wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:34 pm I am familiar with the report, so you are not sharing anything new to me....Perhaps I'm supposed to be impressed by mentioning EFCC?

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Fixed!

Otitokoro wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:14 pm That's your take.
The power's that be, based on the prevailing statutes and guidelines at the time, opted for a penalty they deemed fair and equitable for the misdemeanor.
Football's overarching governing body (FIFA) agreed. Punishment has been served and defendant can return to the scene of his crime.
Your preferred punishment, even though irrelevant in this case (case has been decided), has been taken into advisement.
Thanks for the debate. Cheers!
txj wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:34 pm I am familiar with the report, so you are not sharing anything new to me....Perhaps I'm supposed to be impressed by mentioning EFCC?

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj,

Of course, and the school happens to be in Ariaria, Aba? Right? LOL.
txj wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 pm Are u not at all embarrassed by the examples you post?

Next u will be siting me an example from an Indian Reservation in Saskachewan :???:

I think that u deliberately seek to obfuscate in order to get away from a debate....

The issue has always been about STANDARDS. Standard in the public service, in this specific case, standard in the Nigerian public service of which the NFF is a part...

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Why stop at Hermitage High School?

Why not get an example from an Indian Reservation in North Dakota since it is not in Ariaria, Aba?

Enugu II wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:21 pm txj,

Of course, and the school happens to be in Ariaria, Aba? Right? LOL.
txj wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 pm Are u not at all embarrassed by the examples you post?

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Salisu should be left alone to continue his club career. Going by his recent appointments, he is doing pretty well. He took over Enugu Rangers in 2019 after his NFF punishment and resigned last month to take over Kano Pillars. Nobody has banned him for life.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:06 am Salisu should be left alone to continue his club career. Going by his recent appointments, he is doing pretty well. He took over Enugu Rangers in 2019 after his NFF punishment and resigned last month to take over Kano Pillars. Nobody has banned him for life.
Bottom line is our standards are too low.

Our football history is full of dodgy officials with dirt on their CVs.
All this sentimentality and our ‘God will judge’ attitude only encourage recidivism across the board in our society and before you know it, we are allowing things which even so-called ‘Godless’ societies would never allow.

In any self-respecting country, Yusuf would never be reappointed as a national team coach after what he was found guilty of and punished for.
Sorry, that’s the price you pay for “poor judgement”.

But this is Nigeria and we do what we do the peculiar way we do it.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

[tweet][/tweet]
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:45 am
Lolly wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:06 am Salisu should be left alone to continue his club career. Going by his recent appointments, he is doing pretty well. He took over Enugu Rangers in 2019 after his NFF punishment and resigned last month to take over Kano Pillars. Nobody has banned him for life.

All this sentimentality and our ‘God will judge’ attitude only encourage recidivism across the board in our society and before you know it, we are allowing things which even so-called ‘Godless’ societies would never allow.

In any self-respecting country, Yusuf would never be reappointed as a national team coach after what he was found guilty of and punished for.

Damunk,

Are you referring to Rohr's standards? I ask since the NFF claims that it is Rohr that has insisted on the return of Salisu.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:12 pm

Damunk,

Are you referring to Rohr's standards? I ask since the NFF claims that it is Rohr that has insisted on the return of Salisu.
h
Nope.
I am referring to Nigeria’s standards as a society and in this specific case, the NFF’s standards.
If Rohr indeed “insists” on Yusuf’s return (kindly refer us to the ‘sauce’ of this piece of info) then it is for the NFF to firmly put its foot down and say NO!
If he doesn’t like it, he can waka and they’d be justified in telling him to do so.
You can’t go against the moral fibre of a nation no matter what.

If the NFF agree to it then it is ultimately on them, whether he “insists” or not.
But what is the source of this claim anyway?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:42 pm

Damunk,

h
Nope.
I am referring to Nigeria’s standards as a society and in this specific case, the NFF’s standards.
If Rohr indeed “insists” on Yusuf’s return (kindly refer us to the ‘sauce’ of this piece of info) then it is for the NFF to firmly put its foot down and say NO!
If he doesn’t like it, he can waka and they’d be justified in telling him to do so.

If the NFF agree to it then it is ultimately on them, whether he “insists” or not.
Salisu Yusuf: Super Eagles boss Rohr says his assistant was an ‘honest victim’ in alleged bribery case

Super Eagles boss Gernot Rohr has backed Salisu Yusuf, stating that his assistant was an ‘honest victim’ after he was caught on camera receiving money from fake football agents.
Yusuf was caught collecting money from investigative journalists posing as football agents who wanted their players picked for the 2018 African Nations Championships (CHAN).

Rohr insists that his assistant Salisu is an honest man who was a victim in the case.

"I saw the video, and I saw what happened," Rohr told KweséESPN.

"From my experience, Salisu is an honest man."Those people just want to make trouble, this is people just trying to catch some people.

"Salisu does not need that money, he is a victim of this situation."

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) are currently investigating the case and Yusuf will appear before the body’s Ethics Committee when he returns from a trip to the United Kingdom.

In an investigation led by Ghanaian journalist Anas Aremeyaw, reporters posing as football agents for some players approached Yusuf in September 2017 for a conversation about players’ selection.

During the conversation, they handed the Nigerian coach N360, 000 ($1000) and alluded to more cash incentives if he selects their players for CHAN 2018 which held in Morocco.

The clip was published by BBC African Eye.

The meeting happened in Ghana during the 2017 WAFU Cup where Nigeria finished second after losing the final 4-1 to host Ghana.
The above is what Rohr stated at the time and the story now is that he was among those that pressured the Technical Department to get Sslisu recalled.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:09 pm

Damunk,

h
Nope.

Salisu Yusuf: Super Eagles boss Rohr says his assistant was an ‘honest victim’ in alleged bribery case

Super Eagles boss Gernot Rohr has backed Salisu Yusuf, stating that his assistant was an ‘honest victim’ after he was caught on camera receiving money from fake football agents.
Yusuf was caught collecting money from investigative journalists posing as football agents who wanted their players picked for the 2018 African Nations Championships (CHAN).

Rohr insists that his assistant Salisu is an honest man who was a victim in the case.

"From my experience, Salisu is an honest man."Those people just want to make trouble, this is people just trying to catch some people.

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) are currently investigating the case and Yusuf will appear before the body’s Ethics Committee when he returns from a trip to the United Kingdom.

In an investigation led by Ghanaian journalist Anas Aremeyaw, reporters posing as football agents for some players approached Yusuf in September 2017 for a conversation about players’ selection.

During the conversation, they handed the Nigerian coach N360, 000 ($1000) and alluded to more cash incentives if he selects their players for CHAN 2018 which held in Morocco.

The meeting happened in Ghana during the 2017 WAFU Cup where Nigeria finished second after losing the final 4-1 to host Ghana.
The above is what Rohr stated at the time and the story now is that he was among those that pressured the Technical Department to get Sslisu recalled.

That's not how you set and enforce standards. Citing Rohr's feelings about salisu is insignificant...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:47 pm

Damunk,

h
Nope.

That's not how you set and enforce standards. Citing Rohr's feelings about salisu is insignificant...
Txj,

Well, my comment is not about setting or not setting a standard. You may want to re-check the conversation that I am having with Damunk.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:57 pm
txj wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:47 pm

Damunk,

h
Nope.

Txj,

Well, my comment is not about setting or not setting a standard. You may want to re-check the conversation that I am having with Damunk.

I'm responding to the article you posted and the allusion to Rohr's comments as a basis for the NFF's decision on Salisu.
As stated by Damunk, that is not how u set/enforce standards...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
ROHR Welcomes Yusuf's Return as Coach to SE.....

Post by Enugu II »

Rohr welcomes Yusuf’s return to Eagles
By Abdulquadir Adedapo - November 3, 2021 129 0
https://aoifootball.com/2021/11/03/rohr ... to-eagles/

The return of Salisu Yusuf to the Super Eagles has been welcomed Coach Gernot Rohr who admitted that the experienced coach will make his bench stronger, AOIFootball.com reports.

Yusuf, who was sanctioned and suspended for over a year following a scandal while he was in charge of the CHAN Eagles, was recalled to the team in October 2021 and is set to resume his former position as the number two man in the coaching hierarchy of the Super Eagles.
Speaking for the first time about the former Enugu Rangers coach, an excited Rohr said that Yusuf’s wealth of experience, coupled with his tactical savvy, makes him a welcome delight back to the team.

“Yusuf knows football very well and has a wealth of experience and I know him very well. I am always happy if our Staff members are stronger and we work like a team, just like Yobo has added his wealth of knowledge and experience since he joined us,” Rohr enthused.

The Nigeria Football Federation’s release on the return of Coach Salisu Yusuf stated that he is expected to resume as Super Eagles Chief Coach from the 1st of November which means he would be part of the last two World Cup qualifiers against Liberia and Cape Verde in Tangiers, Morocco and in Lagos.