Team List for Liberia and Cape Verde Games - Odion Ighalo back

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Team List for Liberia and Cape Verde Games - Odion Ighalo back

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:15 pm I feel for Sadiq - both times he was invited, he couldn't make it for one reason or the other.
He needs to be in the mix and may the best man win.

In other news, the re-invite of Bryan Idowu (over Calvin Bassey) is an interesting one.
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:48 pm right now Sadiq has a tall order to get a chance with the likes of Osimhen, Nacho and Awoniyi as the main vanguards of our attack... but I know his chance will hopefully come.
Otitokoro,

You are absolutely correct on Sadiq's fortune .... so unlucky! Through no fault of his, he has missed two opportunities to be in camp to compete. I have this feeling that when he gets there, he will not leave! In my view, he is a baller with some solid credentials that is not easily found in the rest of our options BAR Victor Osihmen.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Otitokoro wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:15 pm I feel for Sadiq - both times he was invited, he couldn't make it for one reason or the other.

In other news, the re-invite of Bryan Idowu (over Calvin Bassey) is an interesting one.
Tobi17 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:48 pm right now Sadiq has a tall order to get a chance with the likes of Osimhen, Nacho and Awoniyi as the main vanguards of our attack... but I know his chance will hopefully come.
Ol boy, that whole Calvin Bassey saga makes little to no sense. They rushed him in over an experienced hand so then he must have been so poor that they couldn't even find a few minutes to cap him. So calls into question the teams scouting department as same thing has happened to some extent with Dessers, Akpoguma etc...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:07 am
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:17 pm
Orion wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:10 pm
naijaguy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:07 pm I really want to understand something.
Is the Bundesliga not a top league?
Does it make any sense to drop a player who had scored 12 goals out of 17 games in the Bundesliga for a retired player who's playing in Saudi Arabia, and has said time and time again that he doesn't want to come back?
Taiwo Awoniyi is in top form, yet he's dropped for no football reason. Smh
Some of you guys act as if football is played on paper. The coach had a good look at Awoniyi over two crucial games and decided he didn't fit his plans at this point. Let the coach decide who fits his plans. The result will be on the coach. He shoulders all responsibilities.
What are his plans ?

To disgrace Nigeria ?

If so then the likes of Musa, Shehu, Ighalo, Onuachu, calling 5 central defenders and 4 midfielders fit right into those plans.
I guess the wide players like Ejuke etc are no longer midfielders? Yet, when you draw up a formation you will list them as midfielders? Right?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

My guess is Rohr doesn't want to risk fielding an inexperienced player like Bassey in important qualifiers in the event of an injury to Zaidu, which is why he invited the more experienced Idowu. This is purely speculation on my part based on Rohr's habit of slowly introducing new players. Bassey will get his chance if he continues to perform well at club level.
maceo4 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:33 pm

Ol boy, that whole Calvin Bassey saga makes little to no sense. They rushed him in over an experienced hand so then he must have been so poor that they couldn't even find a few minutes to cap him. So calls into question the teams scouting department as same thing has happened to some extent with Dessers, Akpoguma etc...
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Damunk wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:20 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:05 pm It looks like you guys will get your wish, Onauchu has withdrawn and has been replaced by Taiwo Awoniyi. Collins has also withdrawn and will be be replaced by Brian Idowu.

Another opportunity for Taiwo ........ what will be the excuses should he miss another sitter.......

Some CE members blamed Onauchu for the loss against the mighty CAR at home even though he didn't play .....Mace04, Vancity Eagle &Otitokoro big time haters I am calling you out.
One door closes, another one opens.
Umaru Sadiq is the only one now that still hasn't made it to camp.
… and I don’t think he should right now. On the basis of goals scored, Simi Nwankwo is probably more deserving right now❗️

Cheers.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:21 am
Flex Swift wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:05 pm It looks like you guys will get your wish, Onauchu has withdrawn and has been replaced by Taiwo Awoniyi. Collins has also withdrawn and will be be replaced by Brian Idowu.

Another opportunity for Taiwo ........ what will be the excuses should he miss another sitter.......

Some CE members blamed Onauchu for the loss against the mighty CAR at home even though he didn't play .....Mace04, Vancity Eagle &Otitokoro big time haters I am calling you out.
… and I don’t think he should right now. On the basis of goals scored, Simi Nwankwo is probably more deserving right now❗️

Cheers.
Nwankwo has ONE serie A goal this season, meanwhile Sadiq is top scorer in the Segunda and near the top in terms of assists.

How on earth does a 30 year old Nwankwo deserve a chance ahead of Umar ?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:11 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:21 am

Cheers.
Nwankwo has ONE serie A goal this season, meanwhile Sadiq is top scorer in the Segunda and near the top in terms of assists.

How on earth does a 30 year old Nwankwo deserve a chance ahead of Umar ?
I don’t know where to start responding to you. Should I start with your remarkable propensity for embellishment or your total lack of logic? Perhaps you think you’re the only one who has access to player statistics.

Umar Sadiq has 15 appearances for Almeria in the Segunda this season, has 7 goals and is tied for 3rd with 3 other players and has 6 assists. He has started 93% of the games and played 92% of the minutes available. In comparison, Simi Nwankwo, having been sent on loan to Salernitana in Serie A, has 8 appearances with 1 goal and 2 assists and has started only 50% of the games and played 48% of the minutes available. Additionally, Simi Nwankwo is the first African footballer to have won the top scorer in an Italian professional league (Serie B 2019-2020), with 66 goals (30 in Serie A, 34 in Serie B and 2 in Italian Cup) and he is the best scorer in the history of F.C. Crotone with 20 goals in Serie A 2020-2021. He is also one of only 2 African players to have scored 20 goals in a single season in Serie A, the other being Samuel eto’o. You can belittle him all you want but clearly, Simi Nwankwo has been a better performer than Umar Sadiq.

You mentioned his age; by the way he is 29, not 30 as you claimed but so what? Consider the following players and their ages:

Cristiano Ronaldo 36
Lionel Messi 34
Jamie Vardy 34
Robert Lewandowski 33
Neymar Jr. 29
Mohammed Salah 29
Sadio Mané 29
Romelu Lukaku 28

I could go on and on but I’ll stop right here and I rest my case❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Maybe Bassey was invited to capture him by getting him into the fold without actually planning to utilise him.
Remember he plays both left back and left central defence. He is young (that dreaded word again!) and therefore on an upward trajectory.
So it might have been strategic and more about taking steps to ward off any future England interests that might arise as he grows at Rangers.
It was probably what they planned for Olise but it seems he has backed off
Just speculating here.
olu wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:55 am My guess is Rohr doesn't want to risk fielding an inexperienced player like Bassey in important qualifiers in the event of an injury to Zaidu, which is why he invited the more experienced Idowu. This is purely speculation on my part based on Rohr's habit of slowly introducing new players. Bassey will get his chance if he continues to perform well at club level.

"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:21 am Maybe Bassey was invited to capture him by getting him into the fold without actually planning to utilise him.
Remember he plays both left back and left central defence. He is young (that dreaded word again!) and therefore on an upward trajectory.
So it might have been strategic and more about taking steps to ward off any future England interests that might arise as he grows at Rangers.
Just speculating here.
olu wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:55 am My guess is Rohr doesn't want to risk fielding an inexperienced player like Bassey in important qualifiers in the event of an injury to Zaidu, which is why he invited the more experienced Idowu. This is purely speculation on my part based on Rohr's habit of slowly introducing new players. Bassey will get his chance if he continues to perform well at club level.

But in reality they didn’t do anything to ward off English/Italian interest. The only way to do it is capping him which they didn’t…so was a pretty useless call and waste of a plane ticket and accommodations lol…That said I doubt there is any interest and there was absolutely no reason to rush an invite to an undeserving player.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:49 pm
Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:21 am Maybe Bassey was invited to capture him by getting him into the fold without actually planning to utilise him.
Just speculating here.

But in reality they didn’t do anything to ward off English/Italian interest. The only way to do it is capping him which they didn’t…so was a pretty useless call and waste of a plane ticket and accommodations lol…That said I doubt there is any interest and there was absolutely no reason to rush an invite to an undeserving player.
So what in your opinion was the reason he was invited?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:00 pm
Just speculating here.

I literally have no idea, I was perplexed by the invite from the jump, one of those that leaves you scratching your head. Imagine they are telling Lookman that he has to earn his call but this benchwarmer with zero pedigree got the red carpet treatment. I almost feel it was more a warning wake-up call to Sanusi more than anything that Bassey did to deserve a call up. And remember Olise was on the standby list only, if Calvin was on standby might have made more sense.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

maceo4,
Sorry, you lost me for a sec. there...which 'benchwarmer' are you referring to?

Regarding Lookman, yes, he does have to prove himself. He is a good player, no doubt, who may add value to the team. However, we don't know what we don't know.

Regarding Calvin 'absconding', doubt very much if that will happen. He is definitely in the mix for the AFCON squad of 28 and its up to him to displace either Collins or Zaidu. The fact that he plays for Glasgow Rangers is a plus for him, as well as the fact that Stephen Gerrard has a lot of confidence in him is fantastic, having pitted him against the Rangers & Croatian left back, Borna Barišić. Bassey has also played several games in Europe, where he has acquainted himself quite well. He also went the full 90 in their match this past weekend against Ross County and played very well.
The chances of him displacing Collins are very high and I suspect it will happen soon.

Clearly, the CAR defeat was a big set back, as the plan was to cap Bassey in Lagos. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.
maceo4 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:13 pm I literally have no idea, I was perplexed by the invite from the jump, one of those that leaves you scratching your head. Imagine they are telling Lookman that he has to earn his call but this benchwarmer with zero pedigree got the red carpet treatment. I almost feel it was more a warning wake-up call to Sanusi more than anything that Bassey did to deserve a call up. And remember Olise was on the standby list only, if Calvin was on standby might have made more sense.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Otitokoro wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:57 pm maceo4,
Sorry, you lost me for a sec. there...which 'benchwarmer' are you referring to?

Regarding Lookman, yes, he does have to prove himself. He is a good player, no doubt, who may add value to the team. However, we don't know what we don't know.

Regarding Calvin 'absconding', doubt very much if that will happen. He is definitely in the mix for the AFCON squad of 28 and its up to him to displace either Collins or Zaidu. The fact that he plays for Glasgow Rangers is a plus for him, as well as the fact that Stephen Gerrard has a lot of confidence in him is fantastic, having pitted him against the Rangers & Croatian left back, Borna Barišić. Bassey has also played several games in Europe, where he has acquainted himself quite well. He also went the full 90 in their match this past weekend against Ross County and played very well.
The chances of him displacing Collins are very high and I suspect it will happen soon.

Clearly, the CAR defeat was a big set back, as the plan was to cap Bassey in Lagos. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.
maceo4 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:13 pm I literally have no idea, I was perplexed by the invite from the jump, one of those that leaves you scratching your head. Imagine they are telling Lookman that he has to earn his call but this benchwarmer with zero pedigree got the red carpet treatment. I almost feel it was more a warning wake-up call to Sanusi more than anything that Bassey did to deserve a call up. And remember Olise was on the standby list only, if Calvin was on standby might have made more sense.
Ol boy you know who I’m referring to. Calvin in that useless league does not have a higher pedigree in the game than Lookman who has years in the Premiership and German league. Telling him he needs to earn his call while a young up and coming player in a crap league is getting the red carpet treatment makes no sense to me. He’s played a few games in Europe, ok, was it not because of injury to the starter? Context matters, he’s not some star at Rangers and Scottish league is trash. Same Rangers that were knocked out of the CL by useless Bonke and co…Please you guys should stop overhyping this young man who is clearly not yet ready. When he is ready he can rightly earn his call up. For now I maintain there is some wuruwuru in rushing him into the team only to now dump him.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Ah, got you.
Useless league? Interesting. Same useless league / team (as you implied) where two of your main starters in the SE ply their trades (Balogun & Aribo). Also, same Rangers where several other starting internationals play, like Barišić (Croatia), Helander (Sweden), Morelos (Colombia), Hagi (Romania)?
If that's your take, then fine.
maceo4 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:24 pm Ol boy you know who I’m referring to. Calvin in that useless league does not have a higher pedigree in the game than Lookman who has years in the Premiership and German league. Telling him he needs to earn his call while a young up and coming player in a crap league is getting the red carpet treatment makes no sense to me. He’s played a few games in Europe, ok, was it not because of injury to the starter? Context matters, he’s not some star at Rangers and Scottish league is trash. Same Rangers that were knocked out of the CL by useless Bonke and co…Please you guys should stop overhyping this young man who is clearly not yet ready. When he is ready he can rightly earn his call up. For now I maintain there is some wuruwuru in rushing him into the team only to now dump him.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Otitokoro wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:35 pm Ah, got you.
Useless league? Interesting. Same useless league / team (as you implied) where two of your main starters in the SE ply their trades (Balogun & Aribo). Also, same Rangers where several other starting internationals play, like Barišić (Croatia), Helander (Sweden), Morelos (Colombia), Hagi (Romania)?
maceo4 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:24 pm Ol boy you know who I’m referring to. Calvin in that useless league does not have a higher pedigree in the game than Lookman who has years in the Premiership and German league. Telling him he needs to earn his call while a young up and coming player in a crap league is getting the red carpet treatment makes no sense to me. He’s played a few games in Europe, ok, was it not because of injury to the starter? Context matters, he’s not some star at Rangers and Scottish league is trash. Same Rangers that were knocked out of the CL by useless Bonke and co…Please you guys should stop overhyping this young man who is clearly not yet ready. When he is ready he can rightly earn his call up. For now I maintain there is some wuruwuru in rushing him into the team only to now dump him.
Bros, I'm being a little hyperbolic, but its definitely not a better league than the ones Lookman has played in abi? So why should a young player who hasn't really achieved much be ushered (and then not even capped or recalled again) in while Lookman with a higher pedigree has to 'earn it'? Its not like we lack LB/LWB, we have 3 solid ones (Collin, Sanusi, Aina). Hence why bobo hasn't been re-called again. Unless we feared he would be capped by someone else, I just didn't see the rush, the young man still has time to get to NT quality. And worst is his invite counted for nothing if our reason for rushing his invite was he would be capped by someone else. But like I said I don't get the call and can't rationalize it. But it is what it is.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Maceo

"Lookman must prove himself"

Is simply a way for them to be able to justify protecting Ahmed Musas spot in the team.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

You also have to understand that we have very few top performers at the left back position, especially left footed players. So the likes of Zaidu, Collins and Bassey are rare.
On the other hand, we have a plethora of wingers on the squad - Simon, Ejuke, Kalu, Chukwueze, Musa, Iwobi and other potential outsiders, like Lookman, Osayi-Samuel, Iwuala, and any others I might have missed. There is more competition on the flanks and thus the need to stand out more, in comparison to the left back position.
I believe that was what was implied in the comment.
maceo4 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:28 pm Bros, I'm being a little hyperbolic, but its definitely not a better league than the ones Lookman has played in abi? So why should a young player who hasn't really achieved much be ushered (and then not even capped or recalled again) in while Lookman with a higher pedigree has to 'earn it'? Its not like we lack LB/LWB, we have 3 solid ones (Collin, Sanusi, Aina). Hence why bobo hasn't been re-called again. Unless we feared he would be capped by someone else, I just didn't see the rush, the young man still has time to get to NT quality. And worst is his invite counted for nothing if our reason for rushing his invite was he would be capped by someone else. But like I said I don't get the call and can't rationalize it. But it is what it is.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Otitokoro wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:35 pm You also have to understand that we have very few top performers at the left back position, especially left footed players. So the likes of Zaidu, Collins and Bassey are rare.
On the other hand, we have a plethora of wingers on the squad - Simon, Ejuke, Kalu, Chukwueze, Musa, Iwobi and other potential outsiders, like Lookman, Osayi-Samuel, Iwuala, and any others I might have missed. There is more competition on the flanks and thus the need to stand out more, in comparison to the left back position.
I believe that was what was implied in the comment.
maceo4 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:28 pm Bros, I'm being a little hyperbolic, but its definitely not a better league than the ones Lookman has played in abi? So why should a young player who hasn't really achieved much be ushered (and then not even capped or recalled again) in while Lookman with a higher pedigree has to 'earn it'? Its not like we lack LB/LWB, we have 3 solid ones (Collin, Sanusi, Aina). Hence why bobo hasn't been re-called again. Unless we feared he would be capped by someone else, I just didn't see the rush, the young man still has time to get to NT quality. And worst is his invite counted for nothing if our reason for rushing his invite was he would be capped by someone else. But like I said I don't get the call and can't rationalize it. But it is what it is.
I hear you, but I would have understood more if they were calling an Udogie from Udinese, that kind of young left footer is way more ready for our NT than Calvin. But make I leave tok.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

England and Italy aren't inviting Bassey anytime soon. He's not that hot of a prospect.
Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:00 pm
Just speculating here.

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Understood.
But I doubt if the kid has expressed an interest in playing for Nigeria and has taken the steps necessary for a nationality switch, considering he was born and raised in Italy and had played in literarily ALL their youth team (he has 33 youth caps for Italy).
TBH, I very much doubt that kid wants anything to do with the Super Eagles.

You go into battle with the troops you have, not the ones you wish you had.
maceo4 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:55 pm I hear you, but I would have understood more if they were calling an Udogie from Udinese, that kind of young left footer is way more ready for our NT than Calvin. But make I leave tok.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:28 pm
Otitokoro wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:35 pm Ah, got you.
Bros, I'm being a little hyperbolic, but its definitely not a better league than the ones Lookman has played in abi? So why should a young player who hasn't really achieved much be ushered (and then not even capped or recalled again) in while Lookman with a higher pedigree has to 'earn it'? Its not like we lack LB/LWB, we have 3 solid ones (Collin, Sanusi, Aina). Hence why bobo hasn't been re-called again. Unless we feared he would be capped by someone else, I just didn't see the rush, the young man still has time to get to NT quality. And worst is his invite counted for nothing if our reason for rushing his invite was he would be capped by someone else. But like I said I don't get the call and can't rationalize it. But it is what it is.
Mace04

I get your point but here is something to think about. Bassey is a young lad. Is it not possible that the SE manager is not entirely sure how good he is? Note in Scotland it can be difficult because the Celts and Rangers regularly play against moi moi opposition. By calling him up you want to weigh him in training against good players. Perhaps it gave the crew opportunity to note that there is no need to rush the guy. In my view, such information perceived in regular contests against certain level of opposition may justify how Bassey was used thus far. Just a thought.
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

1naija wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:11 pm Who is the prolific scorer in Bundesliga they dropped? Did he score for Nigeria?
naijaguy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:07 pm I really want to understand something.
Is the Bundesliga not a top league?
Does it make any sense to drop a player who had scored 12 goals out of 17 games in the Bundesliga for a retired player who's playing in Saudi Arabia, and has said time and time again that he doesn't want to come back?
Taiwo Awoniyi is in top form, yet he's dropped for no football reason. Smh
In that case we should bring back Obafemi Martins then.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley