ADELAKUN: Lookman now has to impress before earning invitation

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
ADELAKUN: Lookman now has to impress before earning invitation

Post by Enugu II »

Ademola Lookman Need To Fight His Way Into Super Eagles, Says NFF Chief Scout
https://sportinglife.ng/ademola-lookman ... ief-scout/
By Our Reporter Last updated Nov 5, 2021 0
It is no longer news that Ademola Lookman is aspiring to switch international allegiance from England to Nigeria.

But the on-loan Leicester winger will need to win over the head coach Gernot Rohr to avoid being frozen out.

Lookman, 24, came through the youth ranks with England from Under-19s through to U21s.

He featured at the U19s Euros in 2016 then helped the Young Lions win the U20 World Cup in 2017.

However, the wideman turned down three official approaches from the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to represent the African nation instead.

Speaking in 2020, Lookman said: “I’ve not changed my mind [on wanting to represent England] but I’m open, and it’s good to have different opportunities.”

Gareth Southgate, though, convinced him to stick with England, the country of his birth, rather than his parents’ homeland.

But as reported by BBC Sport, Lookman has now decided to make the transition as he appears unlikely to force his way into the England set-up.

After breaking through at Charlton, Lookman started well at Everton but his form tailed off before he joined RB Leipzig then had a loan at Fulham last year before another temporary switch to Leicester this term.

He has ten appearances for the Foxes this term, scoring both of his goals in the Carabao Cup before winning the penalty Jamie Vardy missed against Spartak Moscow on Thursday.

Due to playing competitively for the youth international teams, Lookman and the NFF would need to complete an application with Fifa to make him eligible for the Super Eagles.

NFF chief scout Tunde Adelakun told the BBC: “We are aware of Lookman’s desire to play for us and I have spoken to him as well. However, there is a process to it.

“After this process, then comes the consideration and decision of the head coach [Rohr] on whether or when he deems it fit to get him involved.”

Rohr was central to the attempts to get Lookman to switch allegiance, dating back to early 2017 when the Londoner signed for Everton.

However, the manager already has Villarreal’s Samuel Chukwueze, Samuel Kalu of Bordeaux and Lorient’s Terem Moffi fighting it out for a place in his squad, with the Africa Cup of Nations just two months away.

Fellow England-born stars Sheyi Ojo (Millwall), Ovie Ejaria (Reading), Chuba Akpom (PAOK) and Ike Ugbo (Genk) have also made themselves available to Nigeria.

The NFF have previously persuaded England youth internationals Sone Aluko, Victor Moses, Shola Ameobi, Alex Iwobi and Ola Aina all to swap and play senior football for the three-time African champions.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: ADELAKUN: Lookman now has to impress before earning invitation

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We now have a bunch of junk players that have switched to Nigeria waitingvto be called.

One generation of a good U17 team would've produced better players than the ones we're now begging.
Last edited by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA on Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:00 pm We now have a league of junk players that have switched to Nigeria waitingvto be called.

One generation of a good U17 team would've produced better players than the ones we're now begging.
Seems you do not appreciative the higher-than-average contribution of our youth teams to the now senior team.
Off the top of my head, the following former youth team players have all successfully graduated to the full SE from 2013 and later:

Kelechi Iheanacho
Taiwo Awoniyi
Wilfred Ndidi
Francis Uzoho
Victor Osimhen
Samuel Chukwueze
Chidera Ejuke
Peter Etebo
Moses Simon

Fringe
Valentine Ozonwafor
Kingsley Michael
Samson Tijani
Sadiq Umar
Terem Moffi (?)

And that's not even mentioning players like Isaac Success, Dele Alampasu and Musa Mohammed who got there but have since dropped by the wayside.

I don't think that is a bad return by any standards.
There might even be more sef.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:17 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:00 pm We now have a league of junk players that have switched to Nigeria waitingvto be called.

Seems you do not appreciative the higher-than-average contribution of our youth teams to the now senior team.
Off the top of my head, the following former youth team players have all successfully graduated to the full SE from 2013 and later:

Kelechi Iheanacho
Taiwo Awoniyi
Wilfred Ndidi
Francis Uzoho
Victor Osimhen
Samuel Chukwueze
Chidera Ejuke
Peter Etebo
Moses Simon

Fringe
Valentine Ozonwafor
Kingsley Michael
Samson Tijani
Sadiq Umar
Terem Moffi (?)

And that's not even mentioning players like Isaac Success, Dele Alampasu and Musa Mohammed who got there but have since dropped by the wayside.

I totally agree. I was referring to players like Ojo, Ugbo etc who are now queuing up to be called, if we took our U17 team seriously we'd have much better options.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:19 pm

Kelechi Iheanacho
Taiwo Awoniyi
Wilfred Ndidi
Francis Uzoho
Victor Osimhen
Samuel Chukwueze
Chidera Ejuke
Peter Etebo
Moses Simon

Fringe
Valentine Ozonwafor
Kingsley Michael
Samson Tijani
Sadiq Umar
Terem Moffi (?)

I totally agree. I was referring to players like Ojo, Ugbo etc who are now queuing up to be called, if we took our U17 team seriously we'd have much better options.
Nah..those guys are not "options" and are simply looking for a free ticket and they aint getting it.
Its about competition and that competition right now is getting even fiercer.
Unless there are areas of obvious weakness, you can't be an average player and expect a call-up.

So all those haters claiming "anyone in the UK can get a call-up" genuinely don't know what the hell they are talking about. :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Damunk wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:40 pm

Kelechi Iheanacho
Taiwo Awoniyi
Wilfred Ndidi
Francis Uzoho
Victor Osimhen
Samuel Chukwueze
Chidera Ejuke
Peter Etebo
Moses Simon

Fringe
Valentine Ozonwafor
Kingsley Michael
Samson Tijani
Sadiq Umar
Terem Moffi (?)

Nah..those guys are not "options" and are simply looking for a free ticket and they aint getting it.
Unless there are areas of obvious weakness, you can't be an average player and expect a call-up.

So all those haters claiming "anyone in the UK can get a call-up" genuinely don't know what the hell they are talking about. :rotf:

Ike Ugbo has switched to Canada.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

mystic wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:55 pm

Kelechi Iheanacho
Taiwo Awoniyi
Wilfred Ndidi
Francis Uzoho
Victor Osimhen
Samuel Chukwueze
Chidera Ejuke
Peter Etebo
Moses Simon

Fringe
Valentine Ozonwafor
Kingsley Michael
Samson Tijani
Sadiq Umar
Terem Moffi (?)

Kai... From England to Nigeria to Canada. E no get shame?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:31 am

Kelechi Iheanacho
Taiwo Awoniyi
Wilfred Ndidi
Francis Uzoho
Victor Osimhen
Samuel Chukwueze
Chidera Ejuke
Peter Etebo
Moses Simon

Fringe
Valentine Ozonwafor
Kingsley Michael
Samson Tijani
Sadiq Umar
Terem Moffi (?)

Kai... From England to Nigeria to Canada. E no get shame?
Why would it be a shame for a guy to select one of several options to play for one's country? :?: In my view, this is always a tough choice for any of these lads and I really think it is never an easy decision and they likely feel honored to wear the shirt of their country.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Kelechi Iheanacho
Taiwo Awoniyi
Wilfred Ndidi
Francis Uzoho
Victor Osimhen
Samuel Chukwueze
Chidera Ejuke
Peter Etebo
Moses Simon

Fringe
Valentine Ozonwafor
Kingsley Michael
Samson Tijani
Sadiq Umar
Terem Moffi (?)

As usual, the quack, Damonkey knows nothing.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?