Maduka Okoye to join Watford

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Maduka Okoye to join Watford

Post by Cito »

This is fantastic news. I hope our other keepers move to better leagues too to get better. Kudos to the young man. This is fantastic news for my beloved SE.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

Great news!
I personally feel a year with a perennial Champs Lge team like Ajax would have added to the young man's development but he has stated in the past that the Prem has always been his dream destination....
More blessing; continued good health and wisdom to you Mr. Okoye!
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

tedder89 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:19 pm Great news!
I personally feel a year with a perennial Champs Lge team like Ajax would have added to the young man's development but he has stated in the past that the Prem has always been his dream destination....
Ajax did not put money on the table for Okoye. Can't force himself on them.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

tedder89 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:19 pm Great news!
If he does well @Watford I doubt he will stay that long there.
Good thing for him is at 22 he is young (oops! Sorry!).
Average age of EPL ‘keepers is about 29 so he is probably the youngest or one of a few at that age.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

He is very talented. However, one thing i saw in the clip which I'd like him to improve upon is his coming out to pick up balls... he shouldnt always wait for the cross to land on the man, he should come out to pick up crosses. He will learn that a lot in England!

Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:27 am Watch this! :clap: :clap: :clap:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The boy is good.. that PSV highlights were fire
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:28 am He is very talented. However, one thing i saw in the clip which I'd like him to improve upon is his coming out to pick up balls... he shouldnt always wait for the cross to land on the man, he should come out to pick up crosses. He will learn that a lot in England!

He'll learn a lot more in England once he picks up Isaac's blackbook. I know at least three girls who will be targeting him on his nights out.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:58 pm The boy is good.. that PSV highlights were fire
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:44 pm guys Okoye no be am oooo...
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:21 pm okoye is trash

Didn't you call him trash in another post? I believe it was after an SE game.

I am glad you and fellow doubters are coming around.

I hope this will be a positive move for the young man.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Cito wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:11 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:58 pm The boy is good.. that PSV highlights were fire
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:44 pm guys Okoye no be am oooo...
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:21 pm okoye is trash
Didn't you call him trash in another post? I believe it was after an SE game.

I am glad you and fellow doubters are coming around.

I hope this will be a positive move for the young man.

Bigporker is a fraud! The mugu just types on his keypost to increase his number of posts. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

The guy is improving. Though I find some of those saves a bit dramatic.

A big move. I pray it works out for him. The EPL can be tough and unforgiving.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:06 am

Well, I doubt he won ‘Keeper of the Season for his drama.
With great Dutch legends like Van De Sar, Ed de Hoey etc, they know what goalkeeping is about.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Damunk wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:54 am

With great Dutch legends like Van De Sar, Ed de Hoey etc, they know what goalkeeping is about.
What that one is calling "drama" is called "reaction" in football. Unlike our lollypop who is watching the clip on wide screen, while scratching his scrotum, Okoye does not have that wide view. Sometimes, he sees the ball late and has to react; or sometimes he judges the flight of the ball and has to readjust, split-second.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:54 am Well, I doubt he won ‘Keeper of the Season for his drama.
Any links to Keeper of the Season award?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:22 pm
Damunk wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:54 am Well, I doubt he won ‘Keeper of the Season for his drama.
Welcome, Fabio our resident a ba t'eni jé. :clap: :clap: :clap:
My bad. Player of the Season...slightly superior to a mere 'Keeper of the Season.

But what kept you?
We have been expecting your deflating comments on our celebrated "4th division reject".
A word of congratulations would have been in order. :taunt:
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Damunk wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:53 pm
What kept you?

We have been expecting your deflating comments on our celebrated "4th division reject".
Can you answer his question? :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Fast forward to Min 51:20 for the feature on Okoye and Ekong.
Nice comments regarding Naija players.
Also a feature on Tom Dele Bashiru's injury recovery.
Enjoy...

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:54 am

I never said he wasn’t a good goalkeeper. My opening line was to acknowledge his improvement. I just noticed some of his dives were a bit exaggerated, the way our own Peter Rufai used to do.

Is this the same Maduka Okoye that has been criticised for some of his recent performances for SE?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:04 pm
What kept you?

Why are you so interested? Are you a naysayer too? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

With competitors such as Remko Pasveer from Vitesse and Sergio Padt from FC Groningen, the choice was not easy, but Okoye had a wonderful season at Sparta in the lee.
The only 21-year-old Nigerian was only passed 35 times in 28 games and kept 10 clears, impressive figures for a Sparta goalkeeper.
Earlier this week, he kept his team going at FC Utrecht (0-0) with some great saves, which turned out to be crucial for reaching the play-offs.
Robert Maaskant called the 1 meter 97 tall an 'insane athlete' at RTV Rijnmond last week, while Kees Kwakman put him at the top of his top three revelations in the Eredivisie on Sunday. “He is very interesting. Transferred from Fortuna Düsseldorf for zero euros! A really great goalkeeper.”

https://www.nieuwss.nl/2021/05/17/het-v ... n-2020-21/
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:01 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:04 pm
What kept you?

Why are you so interested? Are you a naysayer too? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

With competitors such as Remko Pasveer from Vitesse and Sergio Padt from FC Groningen, the choice was not easy, but Okoye had a wonderful season at Sparta in the lee.
The only 21-year-old Nigerian was only passed 35 times in 28 games and kept 10 clears, impressive figures for a Sparta goalkeeper.
Earlier this week, he kept his team going at FC Utrecht (0-0) with some great saves, which turned out to be crucial for reaching the play-offs.
Robert Maaskant called the 1 meter 97 tall an 'insane athlete' at RTV Rijnmond last week, while Kees Kwakman put him at the top of his top three revelations in the Eredivisie on Sunday. “He is very interesting. Transferred from Fortuna Düsseldorf for zero euros! A really great goalkeeper.”

https://www.nieuwss.nl/2021/05/17/het-v ... n-2020-21/
Uncle Damunk, Not to be Pedantic and avoiding the risk of being called a ba t'eni jé.

With my very basic Dutch. Nieuwss mean News. The website is News.NL.

Lived in Netherlands for 2 years, I never came across Nieuwss.nl publication. It could well be regional publication based in Rotterdam, I don't know.

The headline of the article says... Dream Team :sneaky: I can only infer the publication created it's own Dream team of the season. For Instance, a website called News.co.uk creates Premiership dream of the year.

If we use the Dutch league website https://eredivisie.eu/home/ using their EREDIVISIE XI (2020-2021) Maduka is not featured in any team of the Month Award https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%8 ... Eredivisie

A GK who didn't feature in the official team of the month, suddenly wins keeper of the season, haba E Beru Olodumare
ABOUT THE VOTING
The Eredivisie Player of the Month and Johan Cruyff Talent of the Month awards are based on statistics and votes from fans, cast via the KPN Man of the Match vote on ESPN. These elements, in addition to the votes of the 18 captains and 18 coaches, also count towards the Eredivisie Player of the Year and Johan Cruijff Talent of the Year awards, which are presented in a live broadcast on ESPN at the end of the season.

The Eredivisie Player of the Month vote is an initiative of the Eredivisie CV in collaboration with ESPN. The Johan Cruyff Talent of the Month is an initiative of the Eredivisie CV, ESPN, Johan Cruyff Foundation and VriendenLoterij.
https://eredivisie.eu/news/luuk-brouwer ... r-october/
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Guy, I see you have gone to great lengths to try and prove that Okoye was not worthy of the title 'Keeper of the Year'.
Why nah?
I am not so pedantic and therefore am not going to go looking for who nominated who in their team of the year - it's not that serious.

The article is titled "The complete Dream Team of the Eredivisie Season 2020/21'
The 'Voetbalzone'' platform is the largest football fans' platform in The Netherlands with 250,00 registered members.
Does all this really matter?
Not really.

What really matters is:
Okoye was voted their 'Keeper of the Season".
He won Sparta Rotterdam's 'Player of the Year'
Was also shortlisted for Keeper of the Year elsewhere but didn't win it in the particular poll.
He's been courted by Ajax and eventually won over by Watford.

That might not be good enough for you to be magnanimous enough to congratulate the "4th Division reject" as you have so glowingly described him in the past.
Fair enough.
That he didn't win the Johan Cryuff/ESPN KOTY is no embarrassment and one wonders why this is more important to you than the things he did win.

No wahala. The boy is good and is your #1 GK for a good few years to come. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:06 pm The article is titled "The complete Dream Team of the Eredivisie Season 2020/21'
The 'Voetbalzone'' platform is the largest football fans' platform in The Netherlands with 250,00 registered members.
Not really.
Thanks for clarifying that Nieuws.nl, lifted the article from Voetbalzone :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Yiba
Egg
Egg

Post by Yiba »

I read a very interesting story in this week's Rheinische Post about Okoye. Düsseldorf planned to loan him to gain experience with another club. However, when a new sports director came, he declared Okoye, surplus to requirements.

He left for Rotterdam on a free transfer because Rotterdam could not produce €120,000-€180,000 he was worth at the time. Düsseldorf and Rotterdam agreed in principle that should his fortunes rise, Düsseldorf will get 15% of the price in compensation.

Today, Okoye's worth is in seven figures and Düsseldorf are regretting their decision to let the young lad leave.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:56 pm
Damunk wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:06 pm The article is titled "The complete Dream Team of the Eredivisie Season 2020/21'
Not really.
Thanks for clarifying that Nieuws.nl, lifted the article from Voetbalzone :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Chai! Congratulations is too much for you to say!
I am happy