Salisu Yusuf: Why he must not be allowed to stay as Eagles coach

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Adisboy
Egg
Egg
Re: Salisu Yusuf: Why he must not be allowed to stay as Eagles coach

Post by Adisboy »

Damunk wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:03 pm
Adisboy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:18 pm If the above highlighted happened then i agree with you. But that's not what happened.
Guy, it doesn't have to happen the exact same way.

There is a reason why - whatever the profession or field - many of us that work in the public sector (and many in the private sector too) in other parts of the world are not allowed to accept 'gifts'.
And if you are given one, no matter how small, you better declare it.
Cash? Even a bigger no-no!

Even to give Xmas gifts to your kids' primary school teacher, you cannot give it to them 'in private' or in person and whatever the circumstances, they have to declare it, show it and the schools generally discourage it.

There have even been gifts declined from us as parents for this reason.
These are simply policies put in place and generally everyone abides by them.
Its the norm.

Its not some vainglorious, self-righteous religious doctrine or anything.
Just a simple, decent moral code aimed at preventing the very thing we struggle with in our country - corruption. :idea:
Nobody is arguing about the wrongs or rights because clearly it was wrong. It is a sackable offense. However, I do not think the punishment it's one that should be eternal. For established bribery, i.e. the inducement clearly influencing his decision, then I am all for him never returning. You can clearly see that Salisu was more misguided than corrupt. Typically, Nigerians hardly say no to gifts. For the fact that he didn't assure the guy in the video that it was because of the money that the said players will play kind of rules out the bribery part. He already alluded that the guys were already in the team, meaning with or with out the approach the guys were playing. I repeat nobody is saying he did anything good here but culturally he didn't seem to know what he was doing was unethical. So i think the punishment received has rectified that.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Adisboy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:32 pm
Damunk wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:03 pm
Adisboy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:18 pm If the above highlighted happened then i agree with you. But that's not what happened.
Guy, it doesn't have to happen the exact same way.

There is a reason why - whatever the profession or field - many of us that work in the public sector (and many in the private sector too) in other parts of the world are not allowed to accept 'gifts'.
And if you are given one, no matter how small, you better declare it.
Cash? Even a bigger no-no!

Even to give Xmas gifts to your kids' primary school teacher, you cannot give it to them 'in private' or in person and whatever the circumstances, they have to declare it, show it and the schools generally discourage it.

There have even been gifts declined from us as parents for this reason.
These are simply policies put in place and generally everyone abides by them.
Its the norm.

Its not some vainglorious, self-righteous religious doctrine or anything.
Just a simple, decent moral code aimed at preventing the very thing we struggle with in our country - corruption. :idea:
Nobody is arguing about the wrongs or rights because clearly it was wrong. It is a sackable offense. However, I do not think the punishment it's one that should be eternal. For established bribery, i.e. the inducement clearly influencing his decision, then I am all for him never returning. You can clearly see that Salisu was more misguided than corrupt. Typically, Nigerians hardly say no to gifts. For the fact that he didn't assure the guy in the video that it was because of the money that the said players will play kind of rules out the bribery part. He already alluded that the guys were already in the team, meaning with or with out the approach the guys were playing. I repeat nobody is saying he did anything good here but culturally he didn't seem to know what he was doing was unethical. So i think the punishment received has rectified that. Now he definitely knows and if he repeats then that should be it for his coaching career.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Damunk wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:44 am
Tobi17 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:10 am
Sunset wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:51 am The one thing that's clear is despite the controversy, Salisu is clearly seen as a valuable member of the coaching crew which can't be said about some of the dead weights there
KPOM, with Salisu we've always gotten results which means he has been doing something right with the team, I hope he brings out the best in this team cause I see him as the ideal successor to Rohr.
This may well be true and let's hope it is.

But the problem here is that, obviously it is a case of the end justifying the means.
Which again brings into sharp focus our value system as a nation. When ordinarily decent people are ready to overlook misdemeanours as long as a desired goal is achieved, there is a systemic malfunction.

Isn't this what is plaguing our nation and what we are forever complaining about?
My mama taught me, "Olè l'olè njé"...meaning 'a thief is a thief'. :idea:
:agree: :agree:
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

That’s Nigeria as a whole and a lot of the population wouldn’t see anything wrong with this appointment and that’s why nothing works well in that country.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Rohr and the NFF have set Nigerian football back in their desperation
https://twnews.ch/ng-news/rohr-and-the- ... esperation

In recalling a known bribe-taker and a retired striker, the momentum of the country's football has hit a major bump.

Just how much would the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and Nigeria national team manager Gernot Rohr be willing to sacrifice in order to ensure a place at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar?

Over the last three weeks, the answer to that hypothetical has become clearer.

Three weeks ago - correct to the day - the Glass House sent word that Salisu Yusuf had been reinstated as assistant coach to the Super Eagles. The former Kano Pillars trainer had been indicted for taking a bribe back in 2018 in a now-infamous sting led by undercover journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas, and handed a one-year suspension from all footballing activities.

After what was essentially a slap on the wrist, the NFF were charitable enough to help Yusuf find his feet again, seconding him to CAF Confederation Cup campaigners Enugu Rangers as a form of rehabilitation. His return to the Super Eagles, upon the recommendation of the Technical Committee and to the approval of line manager Rohr, therefore completed a redemption arc, as it were, and made clear to all the first victim of the necessity of World Cup qualification: integrity.

Salisu Yusuf's punishment was little more than a slap on the wrist ece-auto-gen

A few days later, NFF president Amaju Pinnick revealed talks had been held with former Nigeria striker Odion Ighalo about coming out of international retirement. The Al Shabab marksman had memorably left on a high following the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, and had to that point sidestepped all suggestions of returning to international football.

Nevertheless, the FIFA Council member’s garrulity let slip something was brewing behind the scenes and, sure enough, it was confirmed a few days later when the name of the former Watford and Manchester United player turned up in Gernot Rohr’s provisional list for November’s qualifiers.

And so, the second victim of the necessity of World Cup qualifying was made manifest: the future.

Odion Ighalo is the hill on which Gernot Rohr and the NFF are determined to die (Twitter/Al Shabab) Twitter

If this all seems rather hyperbolic, that is deliberate. It is a recourse one is often left with when considering Nigeria; only hyperbole can adequately parse farce.

What other reaction would be appropriate when an institution welcomes back, with open arms, an employee who was caught in an act of financial malfeasance, with the rationalization that his penance had been done? How else is one to understand it when, despite being blessed with a plethora of young attacking talent that is presently the envy of the footballing world - headlined by a striker the like of which has not been seen on these shores since the retirement of the late, great Rashidi Yekini - a retired forward who split opinion while active is the hill on which those who run Nigerian football are eager to die?

In saner climes, experience is an accompaniment to competence; in Nigeria, it is a danger, a constricting, asphyxiating force. In saner climes, punishment serves not only to deter, but also as a means to demonstrate the principle of the law; in Nigeria, it is a performative measure to, for a brief period, placate incredulity until the heat is passed.

So it is that, given the opportunity to demonstrate integrity and embrace the future, the NFF and Rohr elected instead to give in to parochialism and desperation. Somehow, the returns of Yusuf and Ighalo are supposed to address the mutual incompetence that defines the uneasy union between the German and his employers - the latter’s presence presumably making the Teslim Balogun Stadium an acceptable playing surface, while the former resolves the Super Eagles’ pervasive lack of tactical ideas and attacking principles with his “match-reading ability, calm demeanour and proficiency in talent discovery”.

For Gernot Rohr and the NFF, it has always seemed like Salisu or nothing Pulse Nigeria

The end will , of course, justify the means. Nigeria need four points from their final two qualifiers, a thoroughly attainable haul that will, no doubt, be attributed to the timely actions of Rohr and the NFF in recalling these two.

In the self-aggrandizement and back-slapping that will follow, it is unlikely that anyone in the Glass House will stop to think about what the wider implications might be.

In reacting so reflexively to defeat on home soil at the hands of the Central African Republic, both parties have dealt blows to Nigerian football. On the one hand, a dangerous precedent has been set, and the chance to take a definitive stand against all forms of corruption in the national teams has been missed. On the other, the confidence and upward momentum of a new generation has been mortgaged, sacrificed on the altar of laziness at which Rohr worships.

Will anyone count the cost?

My question though is on Ighalo, is the case that Rohr should no longer have total control of the decision to invite a player? In my view, that is his prerogative. No one else should be telling him whether or not Ighal0 should be invited. His job depends on him making a good decision. If Ighalo's recall leads to his downfall then let it be. It should be that simple.

Same applies in Salisu's case. Rohr has decided to invite Salisu. Salisu has served his punishment and he is now free to seek and work like anyone else. Rohr has chosen to invite Salisu back and so be it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:52 pm That’s Nigeria as a whole and a lot of the population wouldn’t see anything wrong with this appointment and that’s why nothing works well in that country.
When people do something WRONG they are punished. AFTER serving the punishment you dont CONTINUE to PUNISH the person again.

Salisu did something wrong and he was punished for it. He served the PUNISHMENT. Now he should be allowed to continue his life.

In UK where the people see wrong things, Sam Alladyce did something WRONG BUT he was not even PUNISHED. He was not sanctioned. The FA chairman stated that he was not even sacked! What will you say to that?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Flex Swift wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:24 pm
wanaj0 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:08 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:36 pm What a people!!! It appears the creator puts the most evil, corrupt, vile people on earth in Nigeria; a people with no morals no standards in any field. Imagine a place where an actor sleeps with a minor and people support him. A national coach accepts a bride and is given his job back.Officials in the airport solicit bribes from travellers,a place where you have provide everything for yourself example your own water, electricity, grade the road & security.

I amazed that people think it is okay for him to return I thought CE members were more enlightened then that.

What a people!!!
He did something wrong and was PUNISHED for it. He is now FREE to go on with his life.

His 'offence' is not one that should have prevented him from going back to his job!

Sam Alladyce was not even sanctioned nor punished! That was in the land of the queen where there is no evil or corruption. Everything was swept under the carpet
Wow what mindset!!! You don’t get it.

If you run your own business selling drinks and you caught a member of your staff selling their own drinks in your bar what would you do ? Suspend them for a few years than give them their job back? Because they have been punished. Or you send your driver on an errand; the driver drains your fuel to sell. do you suspend the driver for a few years then give him his job back? I could go on and on with examples. The appropriate punishment should have been the sack and he would be free to seek employment elsewhere.

Or let’s say the manger of Manchester United was caught taking money to drop Ronaldo, Cavani, Progba, Bruno, Rashford. What would his punishment be? Suspension and he could return after a few years?
Your opinion which I respect. But not all organisations dismiss or sack people for every offence. Some people are first time offenders who may just get a warning letter. So there are different levels of punishments depending on the gravity of the crime. The important thing is for the punishment to be commensurate with the crime to serve as a deterrent to others. For the specific examples you gave, I have had to caution people, warn them, etc. Those are not even in Nigeria! In International companies that places value on ethics and compliance it is NOT all violations that results in a dismissal!

Now once the punishment is determined and the person has served the punishment THEN you cannot continue to stop the person from living a normal life just because of an error of judgement.

If the argument was that Salisu should be banned for life I will have no issue with it. BUT after serving the punishment (whatever that is) we should not continue to victimize him. He should be allowed to start on a clean slate.

Again I will mention Sam Alladyce! He was not even sacked nor dismessed! He was not punished. Salisu's case got to CAF and maybe FIFA. Sam Alladyce issue as NT coach was swept under the carpet.

Personally I wished that NFF does not employ Salisu. That is my PERSONAL view BUT they have not done anything wrong by employing someone who did something wrong and rightfully punished so that he can turn a new leaf!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

wanaj0 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:26 pm
Eaglezbeak wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:52 pm That’s Nigeria as a whole and a lot of the population wouldn’t see anything wrong with this appointment and that’s why nothing works well in that country.
When people do something WRONG they are punished. AFTER serving the punishment you dont CONTINUE to PUNISH the person again.

Salisu did something wrong and he was punished for it. He served the PUNISHMENT. Now he should be allowed to continue his life.

In UK where the people see wrong things, Sam Alladyce did something WRONG BUT he was not even PUNISHED. He was not sanctioned. The FA chairman stated that he was not even sacked! What will you say to that?
...when a teller aka cashier steals at your bank, you punish him, he serve his time/punishment.
Do you reinstate, and entrust him into same position to handle your cash?
His offense has to do with monetary crime not tactical failure of which yes, he can be brought back to correct his tactic.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

mcal wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:22 pm

...when a teller aka cashier steals at your bank, you punish him, he serve his time/punishment.
His offense has to do with monetary crime not tactical failure of which yes, he can be brought back to correct his tactic.
That's terrible analogy!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Sunset wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:25 pm

That's terrible analogy!
...how about his act, was it not terrible?
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Sunset wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:25 pm

That's terrible analogy!
Actually not a bad analogy.

You have bank staff who were found guilty, sanctioned and still retained their jobs. It is about whether this is a first offender who made a mistake, error of judgment etc.

The important thing is that the action is not condoned so the person will be punished. The punishment can be a warning letter, a fine, salary deduction, demotion, transfer to another unit or dismissal.

However, the life of the person will not end because of ONE error of judgement. Not after serving the punishment.

Yes there are cashiers still handling money after succumbing to previous temptations.

You can not continue to PUNISH someone after serving his punishment.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

He served his punishment and nobody can stop him finding employment elsewhere but shouldn’t work with the NFF again but since they’re all probably doing the same thing he’s back in the rapidly folding fold!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:44 pm

He served his punishment and nobody can stop him finding employment elsewhere but shouldn’t work with the NFF again but since they’re all probably doing the same thing he’s back in the rapidly folding fold!
If you are suspended at your place of work you can be RECALLED after serving your punishment. Saying he cannot work with his employer again is a bit over the top!

Yes I wish that NFF did not call him back but that is my personal view which does not make it the ONLY correct treatment of the issue at hand.