Liberia 0 vs Nigeria 2

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Calculator
Egg
Egg
Re: Liberia 0 vs Nigeria 1Live

Post by Calculator »

My God! What a lethargic bunch of lads! Always second to balls! No hyper desire to win balls! No clear plan of going forward let alone attack. This team ain’t it!
If at first you are Failure to Succeed, TRY TRY Again -- According to Basi Okon of Village Headmaster.
Vindave
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vindave »

It was a very POOR GAME from the SUPER EAGLES of Nigeria.

It was so boring and annoying despite the 2 goals scored by the SE via PK.
e de sweet me o! ga gaa!
e de paini you o! ga gaa!!
e sweet me o ga gaa, ga gaa!!
Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

Tbite wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:10 pm The team do not just lack cohesion. They lack confidence!

Even during the time of Lagerback and Vogts they did not lack confidence!

This is the first time I have seen a Nigerian side consistently lack confidence. This means that Rohr's uninspired style is seeping into the team.

It wansn't even just a problem of tactics. There were at least 5 occasions in the first half where the SE were in a GREAT position, but they refused to play the through ball and instead decided to backtrack!

Even a team ranked 140 in the FIFA ranking would have more confidence than this Nigeria side. Rohr is not only ill equipped to coach Nigeria, I wouldn't even recommend him to coach Lesotho, and no I am not joking or being rude.
He does not inspire the team and is clearly out of his depth. He has continuously put out terrible performances. But he is not to blame, as he can not give what he does not have. When will the NFF finally put us out of this misery? We are simply struggling because we cannot afford a decent coach.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Here is my take on Osimhen.

Osimhen is NOT in his best form for club AND country. It is NOT true that he is playing better for Napoli. Here is what is actually happening. Osimhen has been in poor shooting form, but his overall play has been great for Napoli. He has managed to score consistently BECAUSE he gets enough chances in a match so he can afford to make mistakes. His workrate is VERY high.

The problem with him playing in Nigeria is the service is atrocious. OSimhen is a versatile finisher, so many of those opportunities that his teammates would have seen as neither here nor there, in reality, for a guy like Osimhen, those are scoring opportunities. His aerial ability is quite good, so if you can put in a half decent cross, he can either bring it down or score in many cases. Moses Simon, Collins etc. cannot seem to do that!

Troost Ekong (a defender) is one of the few players who seems to have passing range. Even Iheanacho who has become a great passer of the ball was poor with his distribution.

It is Iheanacho that I would say is underperforming for country. Though he has not been scoring for Leicester of late, his distribution in the past 6 months has been stellar.

Confidence is very low. Moses Simon is no headless chicken. He runs cold, but he also runs hot usually. He puts in one bad cross, then a good one. There is reason why he has been racking up assists for Nantes. But for Nigeria he has just been running cold! Confidence is very low in the SE right now.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:19 pm Joe Aribo is the only player who had a good game.

The rest were below average.

Awaziem who I praised in the first half had 3 or 4 jittery moments at the back. Not inspiring at all.

Not good enough. Crap display all the way around.
I disagree, Aribo is the type of player we DO NOT NEED! Hard worker but thats it, poor and ponderous and slow with the ball, doesn't show for it and passes it like a hot potatoe at the first chance. To me the difference was clear when Micheal Kingsley played, we need more of those type of midfielders who are comfortable with the ball and confident in their abilities.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Vindave
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vindave »

Somebody should change the heading (topic) to reflect the goal margin please..
e de sweet me o! ga gaa!
e de paini you o! ga gaa!!
e sweet me o ga gaa, ga gaa!!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Liberia 0 vs Nigeria 2

Post by Orion »

Congrats to the team. :clap:

The best they can do is WIN away from home and they did just that.

CV now needs to win in Nigeria which will put enormous pressure on them.

Remember the slogan here under Amodu? The RESULT is all that matters. :wink:
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

tedder89 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:17 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:09 pm
bushboy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:55 pm Osimhen is a poor striker. I don't care he got a penalty! He is POOR!!!
He has been very poor for SE for a few games.

He is definately overhyped. I am sorry to say.
We didn’t play well today even though we created enough chances to win by 3 even 4 but Vic never stopped hustling

We know he has quality but that hunger set him apart from most of his team mates who sometimes looked to be on vacation
So "hustling" is the best thing you can say of Osimehn's performance ?

Why not call the next "hey you" from the Nigerian league if you want "hustle"

Osimehn has lacked composure in his last 3 or 4 games, it is becoming worrying.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

oscar52 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:03 pm It should bother any coach that his lads are not routinely taking shots on goal or goal or even threatening to score. All this scraping by by 1 or 2 goals when the game does not pass the eye test will reveal the team sooner or later against a quality opponent. This team as constituted cannot hang on the same field as England, and if thats true then whats the essence of them having a foreign coach then. I miss when Nigerian footy was watchable.
They are probably better suited against the likes of England where they sit back and counter vs teams like CV, Liberia etc that sit back and wait for you to break them down. Rohr hasn't provided any hint that he can set a team up to break down teams that bunker down.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:15 pm
green4life wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:13 pm
chif456 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:02 pm Job done on to the next one. Not a vintage or memorable performance but we never looked in trouble, our lack of cohesion in the final 3rd was worrisome.

3 points was what the doctor ordered and the team delivered on that
Ironically for me Okoye has been a bit uninspiring in goal. I like my goalie to be 100% in command of their box. Okoye can be indecisive at times which may be costly
I've noticed the same things and actually prefer Uzoho...but good to have the option sha, there was a time where we struggling for decent goalies.
At least twice our CBs conceded soft corners after waiting for him to come and clear the long ball. Also he has the knack of punching even the most catchable aerial balls if there’s any opponent around him - eg, corner kicks. .. even punching it straight into traffic.
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

It will be a great and tense 6th match for Nigeria and a number of African powerhouses. I expect some upsets. Hopefully not us.
Naija v CV. Algeria v Burkina Faso, Cam v CIV, Ghana v SF, Tunisia v Zambia/EG v Mauritania,Benin v DR Congo. Wow. Next round more fire!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:23 pm
bushboy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:55 pm Osimhen is a poor striker. I don't care he got a penalty! He is POOR!!!

We didn’t play well today even though we created enough chances to win by 3 even 4 but Vic never stopped hustling

We know he has quality but that hunger set him apart from most of his team mates who sometimes looked to be on vacation

I wouldn't call it hustling. Osimhen wins entire games in the Serie A with his versatility. It is so effective that even when he doesn't score, he is often recognised as the MVP.

It is because with Osimhen, EVERY opportunity is a goalscoring opportunity. Aerial duels are a good opportunity for him to score. He can score from range, he can head the ball, he can poach, he can dribble, he can latch onto the ball from a long range pass. So how do you defend against that?

Combined with his workrate, even if you supposedly frustrate him, what happens is that he stretches the defence enough or wins a penalty!

Osimhen is probably one of the most influential players in a game in Europe! And his finishing has been POOR this term, that just says it all.

Nigeria misuse his talent because we play one-dimensionally. If Nigeria play with some depth in tactics, I guarantee you, you would be singing Osimhen's praises! If you cannot put in decent balls behind the guy, or decent crosses at head height, how do you expect him to execute his formula?

Put Osimhen in most other African sides like Algeria and he would absolutely annihilate.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

bushboy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:09 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:02 pm
bushboy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:58 pm
txj wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:57 pm

The problem with you is that u are too sentimental...

Making a complete ike of urself...
I agree. call me any name you choose. I know what I expect of a striker, and he is not it.
The problem when you say stuff like this is that it becomes difficult to take anything else you say seriously.

TonyTheTigerKiller is still trying to recover from some foolish takes he made 10 years ago. Don't follow suit. :D
I honestly don't care what anyone thinks of what I say. You watch the game and come away with what you see. I do the same. We don't have to agree. To each his own. I have watched enough football in my life and I LOVE me a good striker. I am completely fascinated with that position. I am not impressed with Oshimhen ONE bit in this game. If that makes me "foolish" then I embrace it.
we have seen your idea of what you deem a "good striker" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:22 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:19 pm Joe Aribo is the only player who had a good game.

Awaziem who I praised in the first half had 3 or 4 jittery moments at the back. Not inspiring at all.

I disagree, Aribo is the type of player we DO NOT NEED! Hard worker but thats it, poor and ponderous and slow with the ball, doesn't show for it and passes it like a hot potatoe at the first chance. To me the difference was clear when Micheal Kingsley played, we need more of those type of midfielders who are comfortable with the ball and confident in their abilities.
The most annoying part he wears the number 10 jersey..dude no be am at all..pure hype , no substance..cannot wait for Etebo to come back
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tbite wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:30 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:23 pm

I wouldn't call it hustling. Osimhen wins entire games in the Serie A with his versatility. It is so effective that even when he doesn't score, he is often recognised as the MVP.

It is because with Osimhen, EVERY opportunity is a goalscoring opportunity. Aerial duels are a good opportunity for him to score. He can score from range, he can head the ball, he can poach, he can dribble, he can latch onto the ball from a long range pass. So how do you defend against that?

Combined with his workrate, even if you supposedly frustrate him, what happens is that he stretches the defence enough or wins a penalty!

Osimhen is probably one of the most influential players in a game in Europe! And his finishing has been POOR this term, that just says it all.

Nigeria misuse his talent because we play one-dimensionally. If Nigeria play with some depth in tactics, I guarantee you, you would be singing Osimhen's praises! If you cannot put in decent balls behind the guy, or decent crosses at head height, how do you expect him to execute his formula?

Put Osimhen in most other African sides like Algeria and he would absolutely annihilate.
they way NIgeria are playing you will not get the best out of ANY player.

But Osimehn has not been composed in his last few matches. He missed like 3 good chances in the last match, and today he could have been more composed in the final third. Nacho was poor as well, and frankly Nacho needs to be dropped.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:31 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:22 pm

The most annoying part he wears the number 10 jersey..dude no be am at all..pure hype , no substance..cannot wait for Etebo to come back
you guys are hilarious.

Aribo was EASILY our best player today.

Broke up more plays in the middle than Ndidi, and never misplaced a pass. Very skillfull on the ball.

In fact he should be playing in Iwobi's position and Onyeka and Ndidi should be behind him.
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

Why is the team so slow and always passing backwards. Liberia was more purposeful and energetic the few times they got to attack. Attack is a form of defense. If you are slow and ponderous with the ball you are actually inviting pressure onto your team. Nigeria used to be known as one of the most exciting attacking teams in the world ..and now…🤔
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Well that is my point. Osimhen is so ridiculously influential in ALL matches, not most, but ALL, that he even when he is not composed, he will still get you the win, 9 times out of 10!

Your problem is that you think of Osimhen like a regular striker. Osimhen is something different entirely. There is a reason why people all of Europe are singing his praises when his stats are not there yet. They are saying he is better than Mbappe and Lukaku when it is premature, but there is a reason why, the guy influences games like nothing I have seen before.

He doesn't need to be at his best lol to be effective. He has NOT been at his best for Napoli IMO at ANY POINT. That is how good this guy is. We have not seen his best for Nigeria or Napoli. If he ever does reach his best, I don't even what to imagine how good he would be. I put his ceiling at WPOY contender level! This is the first time I think I have ever rated a player's potential this high in my entire time on CE.

Although if he does not improve on his finishing in enough time, then I will have to revise my estimation down. Right now it is still too early days to be worried about his finishing.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

kawawa wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:28 pm It will be a great and tense 6th match for Nigeria and a number of African powerhouses. I expect some upsets. Hopefully not us.
Naija v CV. Algeria v Burkina Faso, Cam v CIV, Ghana v SF, Tunisia v Zambia/EG v Mauritania,Benin v DR Congo. Wow. Next round more fire!
Tense for us? My brother, if you can’t at least draw CPV in Lagos, what business do you have in Qatar 2022?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

green4life wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:49 pm
kawawa wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:28 pm It will be a great and tense 6th match for Nigeria and a number of African powerhouses. I expect some upsets. Hopefully not us.
Tense for us? My brother, if you can’t at least draw CPV in Lagos, what business do you have in Qatar 2022?
KPOM

There will be no tension for me.

As you say if you cannot even draw Cape Verde at home, you have no business going to Qatar. NONE.

The real test will be the next round.

The way we are playing, we will not beat DR Congo home and away.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...we win they foul mouth cry.
we draw they foul mouth cry too.
we lose, na the worse foul mouth cry.
Nigeria need to pack up and don't play footie anymore so as to spare the cry babies.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Seeds if Tunisia, Nigeria and Algeria don't crash out:
Senegal, Morocco, Tunisia, Nigeria, Algeria

vs

Cote d'Ivoire / Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana / South Africa, Mali, Benin / DRCongo

(Winner of Cote d'Ivoire / Cameroon will likely become the 6th seed in Africa, so if any of the Tunisia, Nigeria, Algeria fail Cote d'Ivoire will be a top seed. Zambia, Eq. Guinea, Burkina Faso and Cape Verde will be in second pot if they make it, making way for Cote d'Ivoire / Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana / South Africa).
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

donadoni wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:36 pm Why is the team so slow and always passing backwards. Liberia was more purposeful and energetic the few times they got to attack. Attack is a form of defense. If you are slow and ponderous with the ball you are actually inviting pressure onto your team. Nigeria used to be known as one of the most exciting attacking teams in the world ..and now…🤔
Ndidi. Any team he is will suffer in midfield often. He is a tackling DM but hides in tough games too often when he should make himself available for a pass.