The "Oyibo" Wall

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The "Oyibo" Wall

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:45 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:30 am The wall has conceded 2 goals in 5 matches. But hey, it’s not good enough for our internet coaches.
Stats without context.

When they have played teams willing to attack them what happened?

BTW, I do believe that CAR scored with the second of two clear shots on goal... one of the shots was a point blank save by our Keeper.
That is the thing. Such stats are best considered by:

1. If you do not wish to use context as advised. then use a larger database.
2. If you use context, think of the points just made. Playing three games against the likes of CAR, Cape Verde, Liberia, and Sierra Leone is remarkably different from playing against the likes of Ghana, Mali, Ivory Coast, and Egypt. Or if Nigeria was using an experimental squad and not one meticulously built over 5 years ?

Further, you think the anguish expressed here would have been expressed if this result had been achieved in Monrovia? or if it was achieved against Egypt? Think of that. It is about CONTEXT.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:25 am
Mr Shows wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:19 am Kevin Akpoguma and Awaziem are the medium term centerback pairing with Semi backing up, they have all been steadily introduced to the team. Ebuehi/Calvin Bassey and Sanusi/Colins to play on either side. Rohr has already laid the foundation...
Are you naming Akpoguma based on reputation or what? Exactly what has he done playing for the SE to be considered as a solution?
At this stage, reputation is not a bad thing. Neither Balogun nor Ekong were capped at any level by Germany and Netherlands respectively, while Akpoguma was capped at U17, U20 and U21 levels for Germany and was captain at every level.
Maybe after the final group match, it would be time to start playing him regularly to prepare for AFCON and the final play-off.
Ekong is declining before our eyes and if the target of attacks by Watford fans on their forum, as they believe he is not up to grade. Balogun was never fast but age is catching up with him but he still delivers at a high level and I hope Rohr can pair him with Awaziem.
I also hope we can convince Adarabioyo to cast his lot with Nigeria.
I am happy
Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

Dammy wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:07 pm
Mr Shows wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:19 am Kevin Akpoguma and Awaziem are the medium term centerback pairing with Semi backing up, they have all been steadily introduced to the team. Ebuehi/Calvin Bassey and Sanusi/Colins to play on either side. Rohr has already laid the foundation...
Are you naming Akpoguma based on reputation or what? Exactly what has he done playing for the SE to be considered as a solution?
At this stage, reputation is not a bad thing. Neither Balogun nor Ekong were capped at any level by Germany and Netherlands respectively, while Akpoguma was capped at U17, U20 and U21 levels for Germany and was captain at every level.
Maybe after the final group match, it would be time to start playing him regularly to prepare for AFCON and the final play-off.
Ekong is declining before our eyes and if the target of attacks by Watford fans on their forum, as they believe he is not up to grade. Balogun was never fast but age is catching up with him but he still delivers at a high level and I hope Rohr can pair him with Awaziem.
Note that although versatile Akpoguma now mostly plays as a wing back in a 352 formation at Hoffenheim and may therefore not be stellar at the CB position. He was penciled for a very bright future in his youth, which was not realized. This may have dictated his switch to SE.

Our strength is low at CB. I would try an Ebuehi-, Akpoguma, Awaziem, Omeruo - Sanusi combo to see how it compares to the current regulars (it will certainly provide more pace). In midfield Ndidi and Aribo as cover. In the attack mode Chukwueze/Ejuke, Iheanacho and Osimhen.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Sheikh wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:48 pm
Note that although versatile Akpoguma now mostly plays as a wing back in a 352 formation at Hoffenheim and may therefore not be stellar at the CB position. He was penciled for a very bright future in his youth, which was not realized. This may have dictated his switch to SE.

Our strength is low at CB. I would try an Ebuehi-, Akpoguma, Awaziem, Omeruo - Sanusi combo to see how it compares to the current regulars (it will certainly provide more pace). In midfield Ndidi and Aribo as cover. In the attack mode Chukwueze/Ejuke, Iheanacho and Osimhen.
I don't know about Akpoguma as a CB last time I watched him live he was assisting Awoniyi for a goal :oops: Though I do feel he'd go on to be better It doesn't feel like Hoffenheim even trust him in a back 3 as he's played the majority of the season at RWB.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Sunset wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:14 pm
Sheikh wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:48 pm

I don't know about Akpoguma as a CB last time I watched him live he was assisting Awoniyi for a goal :oops: Though I do feel he'd go on to be better It doesn't feel like Hoffenheim even trust him in a back 3 as he's played the majority of the season at RWB.
It doesn't matter.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and thinking outside of the box

Balogun was a RB when Keshi introduced him. There came a time where we lacked quality CB options, and I can't remember if it was Keshi, Oliseh, SSS, or Rohr who basically converted him into a centre back because he had the attributes.

Akpoguma is playing at a high level, and has in the past played CB. There is no reason we cannot try him in this position as Troost just seems to be a calamity.

I also think we need to recall Ajayi. The guy was tossed aside for one mistake, yet Balogun and Troost have made plenty of mistakes, directly leading to losses.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cellular wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:45 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:30 am The wall has conceded 2 goals in 5 matches. But hey, it’s not good enough for our internet coaches.
Stats without context.

When they have played teams willing to attack them what happened?

BTW, I do believe that CAR scored with the second of two clear shots on goal... one of the shots was a point blank save by our Keeper.
7 clean sheets out of 10 matches in the last 12 months with only 3 goals conceded is good, no matter who you are playing against.

How have they fared against the top teams? Let's see the stats.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:26 pm
7 clean sheets out of 10 matches in the last 12 months with only 3 goals conceded is good, no matter who you are playing against.

Easy...
Conceded 4 against Croatia and Argentina at the WC.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:47 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:26 pm

Easy...
Conceded 4 against Croatia and Argentina at the WC.
Last W/C - Scored 3, Conceded 4

What's our defensive record at the World Cup? When have we had a better goal difference?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:54 pm Last W/C - Scored 3, Conceded 4

What's our defensive record at the World Cup? When have we had a better goal difference?
USA' 94 comes to mind :tic:
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:59 pm

Agree. What about the other World Cups?

Let me help you...

Year, GF, GA, GD
1994, 7, 4 (3)
1998, 6, 9 (-3)
2002, 1, 3 (-2)
2010, 3, 5 (-2)
2014 3, 5 (-2)
2018 3, 4 (-1)
Last edited by Lolly on Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:07 pm Agree. What about the other World Cups?
Baba, you get calculator or access to Wikipedia? You fit check am there :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:33 pm
Paveman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:51 am
Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:47 am I’ve been one of the longest critics of this wall but there is no universal agreement on its problems. Not even close.

I don’t trust Balogun and barely tolerate Ekong nowadays.
As for Omeruo and Ozone, forget it. Ajayi just isn’t it either.

Awaziem I am all for any day but he also has his lapses. Akpoguma hasn’t even been tested!

But there are those who swear by Balogun and Ekong and their opinions are not proven to be less valid than the rest who disagree.

So it’s a big mess and the fact is that we do not have great options.
Finish.
Indeed, agree 100%. There are no other options.
Not true. Akpogumaa, Jonas David, Ugbo Olisa Ndah off the top of my head are options that can do a better job. Im sick and tired of the excuses. Ekong has to go. Dude is not good enough.
Really, is that the best you can do?

Ugbo Ndah who has only had one semi-decent season in the nfpl and played a few games with orlando pirates? Jonas david, spent the entire season on the bench last year and is finally getting a bit of game time in the 2nd bundesliga and as far as I know has never committed to Nigeria? Do you notrealise how ridiculous you sound?
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Paveman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:35 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:47 am I’ve been one of the longest critics of this wall but there is no universal agreement on its problems. Not even close.

Awaziem I am all for any day but he also has his lapses. Akpoguma hasn’t even been tested!

But there are those who swear by Balogun and Ekong and their opinions are not proven to be less valid than the rest who disagree.

Finish.
Not true. Akpogumaa, Jonas David, Ugbo Olisa Ndah off the top of my head are options that can do a better job. Im sick and tired of the excuses. Ekong has to go. Dude is not good enough.

Ugbo Ndah who has only had one semi-decent season in the nfpl and played a few games with orlando pirates? Jonas david, spent the entire season on the bench last year and is finally getting a bit of game time in the 2nd bundesliga and as far as I know has never committed to Nigeria? Do you notrealise how ridiculous you sound?
With all due respect you dont know what you are talking about. Ugbo and Ndah are 2 different people :rotf: Jonas David went on Oma's channel and said he wants to play for Nigeria. As for Ndah yes i will take him over Ekong that is a disastar waiting to happen. Ugbo btw plays week in week out for Lillstrom in Norway. We are calling old men from Cyprus and Germany's 2nd division so what is the issue calling up some of the guys i mentioned?
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:07 pm
fabio wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:59 pm

Agree. What about the other World Cups?

Let me help you...

Year, GF, GA, GD
1994, 7, 4 (3)
1998, 6, 9 (-3)
2002, 1, 3 (-2)
2010, 3, 5 (-2)
2014 3, 5 (-2)
2018 3, 4 (-1)
This is a classic example of dribbling backwards :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You asked
When have we had a better goal difference?
You were given USA'94.

You now proceeded to list SE WE appearance. No one gets bonus points for no goals or less goals conceded. You earn more cash for progressing to the next stage.

putting your stats in context

Year, GF, GA, GD
1994, 7, 4 (3) played 4 matches - SR
1998, 6, 9 (-3) played 4 matches - SR
2002, 1, 3 (-2) played 3 matches - Group Stage
2010, 3, 5 (-2) played 3 matches - Group Stage
2014 3, 5 (-2) played 4 matches - SR
2018 3, 4 (-1) played 3 matches Group stage.
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:42 pm

Finish.

With all due respect you dont know what you are talking about. Ugbo and Ndah are 2 different people :rotf: Jonas David went on Oma's channel and said he wants to play for Nigeria. As for Ndah yes i will take him over Ekong that is a disastar waiting to happen. Ugbo btw plays week in week out for Lillstrom in Norway. We are calling old men from Cyprus and Germany's 2nd division so what is the issue calling up some of the guys i mentioned?
I thought Ugbo was some other first name, my apologies.
Igoh Ugbo is probably the most interesting prospect from those quoted in fact, but I have never seen him play so cannot comment. At least though, he has two solid years playing week in week out in the Norwegian Eliteserien. However, I honestly cannot see him as a short term prospect at the World Cup which is just one year away.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Akpoguma cannot be any worse than the jittery Ekong. Let's see what he has to offer.
I am happy
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Paveman wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:16 am
bret- hart wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:42 pm

Finish.

I thought Ugbo was some other first name, my apologies.
Igoh Ugbo is probably the most interesting prospect from those quoted in fact, but I have never seen him play so cannot comment. At least though, he has two solid years playing week in week out in the Norwegian Eliteserien. However, I honestly cannot see him as a short term prospect at the World Cup which is just one year away.
Ogbu*
If he were to be drafted I'd have no issues with it at all, IMO he's a long-term prospect in the CB position, and unlike Ozorwafor he's getting a lot of playing time.
[tweet][/tweet]