Thoughts on Today's Game and Moving Forward

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

olu
Egg
Egg
Thoughts on Today's Game and Moving Forward

Post by olu »

1. Despite our build up play being slow and predictable, I actually don't think we were as bad as people are saying. We controlled most of the game tho our play in the final third left much to be desired.

2. Collins should be on the bench regardless of whether Rohr wants to use him as a LB or LWB. He has problems with any winger with a bit of pace and doesn't do enough going forward. I would have played Simon as the LWB, and Aina as the RWB. If we're playing a back four, I would start Zaidu.

3. Simon has a place in this squad. He seems more effective on the left though. He would be my first choice LWB when we play a back 3.

3. I would have given Iwobi more time to grow into the game in the 2nd half. He made some errant passes in the 1st half, however, I would have given him more time to make amends. I missed the last 20 minutes of the game or so. Rohr seemed to drop Iheanacho to a deeper role after Iwobi's exit and moved and Ejuke wide. Don't think that was effective today.

4. Aribo tends to slow down counter attacks. More often than not he passes the ball sideways or backwards.

5. The Osimhen and Iheanacho combo can flourish when we have a quality AM behind them. Osimhen's hold up play and ability to drift out wide are a delight. He can be wasteful sometimes, but I can live with that because of all his other attributes.

6. The changes I would have made in the second half would have been to take off Collins for Zaidu and switch to a back 4. I would have moved Simon to the left, taken off Iheanacho for Ejuke and played with Osimhen as the lone striker. With Iwobi pulling the strings in the middle and improved wing play, we may have created more chances.
Last edited by olu on Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Thoughts on Today's Game and Moving Forward

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

olu wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:20 am 1. Despite our build up play being slow and predictable, I actually don't think we were as bad as people are saying. We controlled most of the game tho our play in the final third left much to be desired.

2. Collins should be on the bench regardless of whether Rohr wants to use him as a LB or LWB. He has problems with any winger with a bit of pace and doesn't do enough going forward. I would have played Simon as the LWB, and Aina as the RWB. If we're playing a back four, I would start Zaidu.

3. Simon has a place in this squad. He seems more effective on the left though. He would be my first choice LWB when we play a back 3.

3. I would have given Iwobi more time to grow into the game in the 2nd half. He made some errant passes in the 1st half, however, I would have given him more time to make amends. I missed the last 20 minutes of the game or so. Rohr seemed to drop Iheanacho to a deeper role after Iwobi's exit and moved and Ejuke wide. Don't think that was effective today.

4. Aribo tends to slow down counter attacks. More often than not he passes the ball sideways or backwards.

5. The Osimhen and Iheanacho combo can flourish when we have a quality AM behind them. Osimhen's hold up play and ability to drift out wide are a delight. He can be wasteful sometimes, but I can live with that because of all his other attributes.

6. The changes I would have made in the second half would have been to take off Collins for Zaidu and switch to a back 4. I would have moved Simon to the right, taken off Iheanacho for Ejuke and played with Osimhen as the lone striker. With Iwobi pulling the strings in the middle and improved wing play, we may have created more chances.
Olu, I duff my hat to you for your astute observations, unemotional analysis and attention to detail. I agree with most of your points except iwobi. I gave up on him long ago.
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Of course we controlled the match. Who said we didn't.

we were playing Liberia so of course we controlled the match.

Point is how many chances did we create ? How many chances have we created in the past few matches ?

We are struggling to score goals against piss poor teams because our attack is very rigid, unimaginative, and one dimensional.

It doesn't take much to completely blunt our attack, and it doesn't help when dummy Rohr keeps playing whack formations and unproductive players.

Worst of all the dummy doesn't seem to be able to learn from his mistakes, and if he does it happens way too slowly.

When our problem is creativity he thinks the problems are strikers and "experience"
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Collins is way too slow to play as LB or LWB. I believe Rohr's obsession with left-footed players is the issue. Two of the SE all time greats at left back were predominantly right footed players (Yisa Shofoluwe and Ben Iroha). Zaidu and Aina are miles better than this guy. He cannot even use his right foot and offers zero value in the attack. Its a disservice to the team to play him ahead of both much better players.
olu wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:20 am 2. Collins should be on the bench regardless of whether Rohr wants to use him as a LB or LWB. He has problems with any winger with a bit of pace and doesn't do enough going forward. I would have played Simon as the LWB, and Aina as the RWB. If we're playing a back four, I would start Zaidu.
Actually, Aribo is one of the few people on the team that play the ball quickly and help in the transition. He will shine if he can cut down on his sideways or backward passes and play more forward passes. The problem is most of the time Osimhen is double teamed and Iheanacho, who should make himself available, is MIA and is not the credible alternate outlet he should be.
olu wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:20 am 4. Aribo tends to slow down counter attacks. More often than not he passes the ball sideways or backwards.
I really don't see how this combo will EVER flourish. Iheanacho could be a selfish player, who busts up our counter-attack play by dilly dallying on the ball far too long and/or turning it over because he takes too many touches on the ball (I think he believes he is a big man). He is slow and is the main cog in the wheel, as his free role (according to Rohr) actually upsets the team balance. He needs to be benched and let someone else compliment Osimhen instead.
olu wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:20 am 5. The Osimhen and Iheanacho combo can flourish when we have a quality AM behind them. Osimhen's hold up play and ability to drift out wide are a delight. He can be wasteful sometimes, but I can live with that because of all his other attributes.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:29 am Of course we controlled the match. Who said we didn't.

we were playing Liberia so of course we controlled the match.

Point is how many chances did we create ? How many chances have we created in the past few matches ?

We are struggling to score goals against piss poor teams because our attack is very rigid, unimaginative, and one dimensional.

It doesn't take much to completely blunt our attack, and it doesn't help when dummy Rohr keeps playing whack formations and unproductive players.

Worst of all the dummy doesn't seem to be able to learn from his mistakes, and if he does it happens way too slowly.

When our problem is creativity he thinks the problems are strikers and "experience"
Shockingly, I agree with about everything VE wrote...
Crazy Tings are really 'appening! :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

nah Liberia we play, a team already out of the qualifiers..smh .. Cape Verde dey wait us Tuesday
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved