2022 FIFA World Cup qualification – CAF Third Round Seeding Permutations

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup qualification – CAF Third Round Seeding Permutations

Post by vancity eagle »

Synopsis wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:30 pm The real question should be whether away goals rule will be used in the playoff.
Nobody seems to know anything, and that worries me.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:38 am
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:10 am
Synopsis wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:14 am Algeria or Tunisia will not make it.
Algeria will make it.

Tunisia are in trouble.
Both Algeria and Tunisia should make it. They are in the driver's seat.
On paper, Tunisia has a very tough matchup against Zambia. The most likely result is a draw. Equatorial Guinea, on the other hand, should beat Mauritania easily, given that Mauritania has absolutely nothing to play for… then again, football isn’t mathematics🙂❗️

Cheers.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

The commentator in Egypt v Gabon just repeated that CAF has yet to decide if the knockout phase will be seeded!
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

iworo wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:35 am
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:10 am the draw will take place at the Arab Cup in Qatar. They will use the Dec 16 rankings which will be after the semi finals of the Arab Cup.

Egypt did us a favour by drawing against Angola. We need to beat Cape Verde and we will be OK, currently Egypt is 20 points behind us, should we win against Cape Verde we will likely gain another 8 or 9 points on them.

The Arab cup will count as friendlies, meaning instead of a multiplier of x25 for world cup qualifiers they will be x10 or x5 depending on whether or not the games are counted as FIFA window friendlies or non FIFA window friendlies.

Egypt is grouped with Algeria, Lebanon, and Sudan. Algeria is sending a registered B team, so I dont think that match will even be counted at all. They will not gain many points from beating Lebanon and Sudan in a friendly.

Quarterfinals they will likely either meet Morocco or Saudi Arabia. Morocco is also sending a registered B team with homebased players, and Saudi Arabia will have a full squad who I doubt Egypt can beat without their european players like Salah and El Neny.

In short it seems almost impossible for Egypt to catch us, unless we somehow messup against Cape Verde.

The likely seeds

Senegal, Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria, Nigeria.

However I see Tunisia failing to qualify.

E. Guniea will likely be pumped and beat Mauritania on the road.

Zambia with their full compliment of players (Daka and Sakala) are also alive and will die on the pitch to beat Tunisia. In the end I see a tie or a slim Zambia victory, coupled with an E. Guinea victory putting them through.
Thanks for breaking it down. I still don't understand why FIFA will use the Dec rankings instead of Nov rankings. That doesn't make any sense to me.
A world ranking revealed ahead of 2022 WCQ playoff draw
Published: November 19, 2021

Nigeria's latest FIFA world ranking revealed ahead of 2022 WCQ playoff draw
Football governing body, Fifa, on Friday, November 19 published its latest rankings of National Teams ahead of the draw to determine the final African encounters in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 qualifying competition, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.

Nigeria booked their place in the third round of qualifying for the 2022 World Cup along with Algeria, Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali, Egypt and Ghana.

The five winners of these third-round matches will progress to the World Cup next November.

The Super Eagles remain unchanged in the latest world rankings, they have a global ranking of 36th and remain the fifth best national team in Africa.

Completing the top five African nations are Senegal, Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria.

Our three rivals in Group D of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations in the shape of Egypt, Guinea-Bissau and Sudan are ranked 45th, 106th and 124th respectively.

The five highest-ranking teams in the world before the next update on December 23, 2021 are Belgium, Brazil, France, England and Argentina.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=41717

I was right after all. FIFA will be using the November rankings that was released today for the CAF third round seeding. The third round draw will take place on Dec 19 2021. Bottom line, Nigeria will be one of the five seeded teams.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We want Egypt! With Salah or without Salad. :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:39 am We want Egypt! With Salah or without Salad. :thumbs:
Please hush! With your useless Coach Rohr, we be lucky to a draw at home against Egypt's team D!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!