I'm slowly moving to the #RohrOut stadium section

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
I'm slowly moving to the #RohrOut stadium section

Post by deanotito »

Long been a supporter of his results, and held for a long time that he had met his targets, BUT...

At the end of a qualifying match in which Nigeria played Cape Verde (and you can insert Liberia, CAR here if you want) and Cape Verde looked EVERY BIT Nigeria's equal, the only entity you can blame is the coach. If this was a one off game, it would be alright. But throughout this series, we have been matched by opponents way down the football totem poll. Game after Game. Nigeria was a wrong foot away from elimination. NIGERIA!! To Cape Verde???? The hell is that???

I need some time to process all this. But the man is so conservative, he constantly handicaps his team. I'll keep this analysis mostly to the first half, cause the second was atrocious, and really was about the Coach not figuring out what he needed to do.

1.) Rohr was right in calling back Ighalo. Osimhen + Ighalo is miles above Osimhen + whoever. As Rohr said, Ighalo has a feel for the game that other Osimhen partners DO NOT have. It was a wise move

2.) We still get Centerback problem. A real serious one. Above all else, I value stability in a defender/keeper. Its a big reason I will never support playing Akpeyi. Unstable CBs/Keepers will kill your team. Ekong (most especially) and Balogun are essentially unstable. They lose concentration and do inexplicable things. Sometimes, its like having Iheanacho in defense. You don't have to be outstanding, but I need to be sure that your head is in the game and you're not prone to blood rushes to the brain. Balogun is a bit old and I feel for him, but what is Ekong's excuse for playing like he lost his mind for CV's equalizer??

3.) With more space in the middle, Iwobi did well. He could have done better, but we'll take this. I still think he can get more involved however. We need someone in that role that looks for the ball and knows how to distribute it. Iwobi is okay on the latter part but is lacking on the former. I can see him blossoming into this role (yes, I know we've been saying this for the last 3 years, it seems).

4.) I get the substitution of Simon for Shehu, but this goes down to what we've been saying. If the Eagles conceded a goal in the 75th minute, it'd be over (we have no character to come from behind in such a scenario). We'd be done....so getting another goal to cushion our qualification was just as important to preventing one. So why not Chukwueze, who could keep CV honest???

5.) Game Management: At some point, CV had 5 fresh players on the field to Nigeria's 1 - and it showed. I for one hope we go back to 3 subs, but why did it take Rohr so long to balance out this disadvantage???

There are many things I had historically liked about Rohr. I still call him the most mature eagles coach in my lifetime. But his selections/conservatism are hampering this team, and....in the wrong ANC group, Nigeria can very easily be eliminated.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
iworo
Egg
Egg
Re: I'm slowly moving to the #RohrOut stadium section

Post by iworo »

deanotito wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:11 pm Long been a supporter of his results, and held for a long time that he had met his targets, BUT...

At the end of a qualifying match in which Nigeria played Cape Verde (and you can insert Liberia, CAR here if you want) and Cape Verde looked EVERY BIT Nigeria's equal, the only entity you can blame is the coach. If this was a one off game, it would be alright. But throughout this series, we have been matched by opponents way down the football totem poll. Game after Game. Nigeria was a wrong foot away from elimination. NIGERIA!! To Cape Verde???? The hell is that???

I need some time to process all this. But the man is so conservative, he constantly handicaps his team. I'll keep this analysis mostly to the first half, cause the second was atrocious, and really was about the Coach not figuring out what he needed to do.

1.) Rohr was right in calling back Ighalo. Osimhen + Ighalo is miles above Osimhen + whoever. As Rohr said, Ighalo has a feel for the game that other Osimhen partners DO NOT have. It was a wise move

2.) We still get Centerback problem. A real serious one. Above all else, I value stability in a defender/keeper. Its a big reason I will never support playing Akpeyi. Unstable CBs/Keepers will kill your team. Ekong (most especially) and Balogun are essentially unstable. They lose concentration and do inexplicable things. Sometimes, its like having Iheanacho in defense. You don't have to be outstanding, but I need to be sure that your head is in the game and you're not prone to blood rushes to the brain. Balogun is a bit old and I feel for him, but what is Ekong's excuse for playing like he lost his mind for CV's equalizer??

3.) With more space in the middle, Iwobi did well. He could have done better, but we'll take this. I still think he can get more involved however. We need someone in that role that looks for the ball and knows how to distribute it. Iwobi is okay on the latter part but is lacking on the former. I can see him blossoming into this role (yes, I know we've been saying this for the last 3 years, it seems).

4.) I get the substitution of Simon for Shehu, but this goes down to what we've been saying. If the Eagles conceded a goal in the 75th minute, it'd be over (we have no character to come from behind in such a scenario). We'd be done....so getting another goal to cushion our qualification was just as important to preventing one. So why not Chukwueze, who could keep CV honest???

5.) Game Management: At some point, CV had 5 fresh players on the field to Nigeria's 1 - and it showed. I for one hope we go back to 3 subs, but why did it take Rohr so long to balance out this disadvantage???

There are many things I had historically liked about Rohr. I still call him the most mature eagles coach in my lifetime. But his selections/conservatism are hampering this team, and....in the wrong ANC group, Nigeria can very easily be eliminated.
I utterly agree with you on all your points. Nonetheless, I'll still hold off on pressing the "YOU'RE FIRED" button until after AFCON. AFCON will take place from 9 January to 6 February 2022. While 2022 FIFA World Cup is scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. If we need to hire a new coach after AFCON, the new coach has more than 9 months to work with the players.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

sorry but Rohr WAS NOT RIGHT to call back Ighalo

Dude missed 2 sitters and could not run. He was utterly useless.

The right move would have been to call Awoniyi and Sadiq and dropped the basketballer and left MISSES to collect Arab money in peace.

Useless eeeediot coach.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I am slowly moving to the Rohr out section too. I was one of his supporters, but now it's hard to justify several of his choices.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:13 pm sorry but Rohr WAS NOT RIGHT to call back Ighalo

The right move would have been to call Awoniyi and Sadiq and dropped the basketballer and left MISSES to collect Arab money in peace.

Useless eeeediot coach.
Disagree on Ighalo. First time in a while that our attack looked dangerous...and if you watched Ighalo closely, his movement and passing had A LOT to do with it. I'll put aside the missed chances for now.....better to create and miss sometimes than not create nothing at all. Ighalo is not only good for Osimhen, he's good for many other players too. Rohr was right. His attacking instincts are a notch above
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

olu wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:46 pm I am slowly moving to the Rohr out section too. I was one of his supporters, but now it's hard to justify several of his choices.
Its nuts. Its like you're banging your head and wondering why. I like to give a lot of space to disagree with coaches....but my space is all used up.

Also, at a 10,000 ft level, Nigeria SHOULD NOT be consistently struggling with CV, Liberia and CAR. Forget about individual selection/game choices, this is a No No. And every game, we struggle. And you have to put that at the feet of the coach. No other way to look at it. We can analyze individual choices till we're blue in the face...but I can now look at all these games together, and see a consistent pattern of difficulty.

Rohr says all the time that our players are not of the highest pedigree, that they don't play for the best of the best clubs. And so, we shouldn't expect to be world beaters. Holding him to the exact same standard, then how come CAR/Lib/CV look like our equals in game after game? What is their pedigree compared to ours? He fails his own test
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

deanotito wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:37 pm
olu wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:46 pm I am slowly moving to the Rohr out section too. I was one of his supporters, but now it's hard to justify several of his choices.
Its nuts. Its like you're banging your head and wondering why. I like to give a lot of space to disagree with coaches....but my space is all used up.

Also, at a 10,000 ft level, Nigeria SHOULD NOT be consistently struggling with CV, Liberia and CAR. Forget about individual selection/game choices, this is a No No. And every game, we struggle. And you have to put that at the feet of the coach. No other way to look at it. We can analyze individual choices till we're blue in the face...but I can now look at all these games together, and see a consistent pattern of difficulty.

Rohr says all the time that our players are not of the highest pedigree, that they don't play for the best of the best clubs. And so, we shouldn't expect to be world beaters. Holding him to the exact same standard, then how come CAR/Lib/CV look like our equals in game after game? What is their pedigree compared to ours? He fails his own test
That’s a good one :).
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Ok…had some time to process it all.

I think Rohr should keep his job. Yes, all the aforementioned issues still remain, but the man has met his targets. At the end of the day, when we look back on his record 5 years from now, firing him may not make any sense.

He deserves to continue. Just my 2 cents
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:30 am Ok…had some time to process it all.

I think Rohr should keep his job. Yes, all the aforementioned issues still remain, but the man has met his targets. At the end of the day, when we look back on his record 5 years from now, firing him may not make any sense.

He deserves to continue. Just my 2 cents
Yep, when the chance was there they continued with him, so now is not the time to fire him unless he doesn’t meet his target which he’s met.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I am for a new coach, not because of mindless nonsensical reasons that many like bigpunkey regurgitate here, but because I think this is the best Rohr can do for us. He can't get us to the next level, so keeping him around is a waste of time. We need a coach that can motivate the team to think they are world beaters, not one that will continue to tell them they are young eventhough they have been in the national team for nearly 8 years. So I applaud him for qualifying us for the next round, but nothing he has done since becoming the manager has shown he can coach the team to beat any elite team.

We need a Fresh start. I would fire him now. It's not like if we keep him we will win the nations cup or get far in the world cup.

Having said all these, ...UP ROHR!! The people crying about beautiful football should go and support CAR and Cape Verde with their beautiful football.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Damn I never thought I would see the day where the country I reside, Canada, known for ice hockey and skiing would be playing much better football than Nigeria. These guys play with no fear and intimidation. The thing is other than Alfonso Davies, none of these guys are better than the players we have, yet the football coward and fraud will tell us these guys are "young" and "average". What a clown.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:27 am I am for a new coach, not because of mindless nonsensical reasons that many like bigpunkey regurgitate here, but because I think this is the best Rohr can do for us. He can't get us to the next level, so keeping him around is a waste of time. We need a coach that can motivate the team to think they are world beaters, not one that will continue to tell them they are young eventhough they have been in the national team for nearly 8 years. So I applaud him for qualifying us for the next round, but nothing he has done since becoming the manager has shown he can coach the team to beat any elite team.

We need a Fresh start. I would fire him now. It's not like if we keep him we will win the nations cup or get far in the world cup.

Having said all these, ...UP ROHR!! The people crying about beautiful football should go and support CAR and Cape Verde with their beautiful football.
Unku, when you don't work 3 overtime shift, you make sense.

I have often asked what is our vision for the Naijarian Senior Men's team? Do we go to competitions to mark present and collect Certificate of Participation?

What makes a Naijarian different from his fellow Africans...and the accompanying jealousy, envy, and outright hatred?

Why do we dare to try to achieve things that others cannot even think of achieving?

Then you go hire a coach that doesn't have the same belief as most Naijarians.

A coach that successfully converted some natives into believing that they are not special and just participating is good enough.

Till we won the U17, it was but a pipe dream...to have an African champion at any level.
When we played in the U21 finals, it was unheard of.
When we went to the WC and topped our group. It was unheard of.
Won an Olympic men's Gold.

The point is that in each of these accomplishments and others like them, we always believed and played like we belonged. We didn't come to those tournaments just happy to be participating. Today, the coach is trying to turn an Eagle into a Chicken... and convince it that there's nothing wrong with being a chicken.

If we are to stake a claim at the WC proper we need a coach who harnesses what makes us Naijarians. A coach who coaches with the arrogance and confidence we use in undertaking impossible ventures. We are not a cautious bunch... our football is not predicated on caution.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Cellular wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:09 pm
1naija wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:27 am I am for a new coach, not because of mindless nonsensical reasons that many like bigpunkey regurgitate here, but because I think this is the best Rohr can do for us. He can't get us to the next level, so keeping him around is a waste of time. We need a coach that can motivate the team to think they are world beaters, not one that will continue to tell them they are young eventhough they have been in the national team for nearly 8 years. So I applaud him for qualifying us for the next round, but nothing he has done since becoming the manager has shown he can coach the team to beat any elite team.

I have often asked what is our vision for the Naijarian Senior Men's team? Do we go to competitions to mark present and collect Certificate of Participation?

What makes a Naijarian different from his fellow Africans...and the accompanying jealousy, envy, and outright hatred?

Why do we dare to try to achieve things that others cannot even think of achieving?

A coach that successfully converted some natives into believing that they are not special and just participating is good enough.

Till we won the U17, it was but a pipe dream...to have an African champion at any level.

The point is that in each of these accomplishments and others like them, we always believed and played like we belonged. We didn't come to those tournaments just happy to be participating. Today, the coach is trying to turn an Eagle into a Chicken... and convince it that there's nothing wrong with being a chicken.

If we are to stake a claim at the WC proper we need a coach who harnesses what makes us Naijarians. A coach who coaches with the arrogance and confidence we use in undertaking impossible ventures. We are not a cautious bunch... our football is not predicated on caution.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:13 pm sorry but Rohr WAS NOT RIGHT to call back Ighalo

Useless eeeediot coach.
So that's why the coach was wrong to call Ighalo?
Because he missed two sitters? Like for real? At what point do we stop firing players and coaches year round and still not learning from it?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

bamenda boy wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:55 pm

Useless eeeediot coach.
So that's why the coach was wrong to call Ighalo?
Because he missed two sitters? Like for real? At what point do we stop firing players and coaches year round and still not learning from it?

Rohr is our longest serving coach ever. We are not firing coaches all year round. We are worried that we will not qualify for the World Cup with him at the helm.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:09 pm

RACK THIS ONE TIME!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics