Let's address the elephant in the room.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Let's address the elephant in the room.

Post by deanotito »

Okoye is fine. In my opinion, an outstanding goalkeeper is a bonus. I’d simply take someone competent that I can trust to save what he should save, and you know, not try to pull an Okocha leg-over on an onrushing attacking player.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:35 am In how many games he’s played can anybody point to one great save he’s made for SE? I’ve seen him make numerous for his club but for the SE he’s always looked apprehensive and somehow scared to me.

For Uzoho I can remember a few including a great FK save touching Messis shot onto the post vs Argentina last WC.

The question is what does Okoye have in front of him….?

I will be shittting myself when the team list comes out every game….

Shehu, Ekong, Balogun, Collins….

I am thinking WTF…… why are we playing a midfielder as RB? Why is a Germany div 2 relegation prospect, the LB. How come Rangers bench warmer is playing before a stabilised defender in German top league!!!

I will be shitting myself each time the other team attacks….

I honestly fear for his health….
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enyi wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:51 pm
maceo4 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:35 am In how many games he’s played can anybody point to one great save he’s made for SE? I’ve seen him make numerous for his club but for the SE he’s always looked apprehensive and somehow scared to me.

For Uzoho I can remember a few including a great FK save touching Messis shot onto the post vs Argentina last WC.

I am thinking WTF…… why are we playing a midfielder as RB? Why is a Germany div 2 relegation prospect, the LB. How come Rangers bench warmer is playing before a stabilised defender in German top league!!!

Uzoho had the same players in front of him in the game he played and still made some great saves.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Are we now judging Okoye on a failure to "make great saves"?
Why not judge a Keeper's competence on his failure to save penalties?
Who judges a 22 year old based on that?
Oh, I forgot....Nigerians don't do 'learn' and don't have a need to gain 'experience'.

If we have a clearly better alternative, let's put him nah.

Like Akpeyi. Or maybe Ezenwa. Noble. Or even Afelokhai
If not...... :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:21 pm Are we now judging Okoye on a failure to "make great saves"?
Oh, I forgot....Nigerians don't 'learn' or have a need to gain 'experience'.

If we have a clearly better alternative, put him nah.
I don't know when you became an expert in fallacious arguments.

Okoye is not being judged on "making great saves" rather the conversation is that he hardly makes saves as an Eagles Goaie... as almost every goal-bound or decent chance results in a goal.

You do know that goalies are supposed to stop some of those chances that have a high probability of going in?

BTW, it is not like making tackles... as positioning and reading the game helps one to not have to make tackles. But should the need to make tackles arise, they can execute it.

Ps., He is a good goalie but he ain't a shot-stopper like some of the guys we have had in the past... he checks other parts of goalkeeping but he must improve his shot-stopping.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:32 pm
Damunk wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:21 pm Are we now judging Okoye on a failure to "make great saves"?

Okoye is not being judged on "making great saves" rather the conversation is that he hardly makes saves as an Eagles Goaie... as almost every goal-bound or decent chance results in a goal.

You do know that goalies are supposed to stop some of those chances that have a high probability of going in?

BTW, it is not like making tackles... as positioning and reading the game helps one to not have to make tackles. But should the need to make tackles arise, they can execute it.

Ps., He is a good goalie but he ain't a shot-stopper like some of the guys we have had in the past... he checks other parts of goalkeeping but he must improve his shot-stopping.
KPOM, I prefer Uzoho and I don’t see anything that Okoye has done for SE that makes him better. But seems selection might be based on club performance, which doesn’t always follow.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

How do you judge goalkeepers if not for making great saves? Do you only judge them by making routine saves? And has his age got to do with anything? Is he not a senior National team goalkeeper? Maybe Osimhen should not score goals since he is also 22.
Oh, I forgot....Nigerians don't do 'learn' and don't have a need to gain 'experience'.

If we have a clearly better alternative, let's put him nah.

Like Akpeyi. Or maybe Ezenwa. Noble. Or even Afelokhai
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

You guys go kill person with laughter here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: .
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

1naija wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:00 am Here are the Highlights. We would have chopped bottle if Cape Verde had our chances.

your video is not working let me fix the link for you.

Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

I have always said this: a goalkeeper is as good as the defense in front of him/her. One is as strong as the defense he can muster in the face of an attack.
In place of Shehu or whoelse, Let Ebuehi take that spot. In place of Ekong, bring in someone else. Anyone is better.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Back in November when Damunk was arguing that we don't know what we are talking about.

Some of us natives see things before they happen... but they tell us we are not sophisticated enough to understand what we are seeing.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:14 pm

Back in November when Damunk was arguing that we don't know what we are talking about.

Some of us natives see things before they happen... but they tell us we are not sophisticated enough to understand what we are seeing.
But it wasn't Okoye's fault that we didn't have one single shot on target in the first half and only one on target over 95 minutes of the round 16 match.

I see guys are looking to deflect the blame for our loss away from the real culprit. The buck stops at the Coach/Manager. His tactics were poor and amateurish. He was found out and didn't have any of our players to bail him out with one moment of magic.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The coach was responsible, but Okoye is definately a weak link. You are fooling yourself if u think otherwise.
Silver-Shadow
Egg
Egg

Post by Silver-Shadow »

Igugu wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:29 am Okoye needs to learn how to get down quickly, learn how to put spring in his feet, and must be ready to be dirty. He comes off like someone who does not want to be dirty in the field. He must improve his reflexes definitely.
You won't like this but Akpeyi has the best reflexes of the 3 goalkeepers.
No Escape
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Okoye is not a very good goalkeeper unfortunately..but he did not pick himself as the number 1 keeper
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I for one don't think Okoye was responsible for our loss, however, he was responsible for the goal by Tunisia. Those are 2 separate things. I agree with you. We lost the game partly because we had poor forwards, which was compounded by the red card.

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:19 pm
Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:14 pm

But it wasn't Okoye's fault that we didn't have one single shot on target in the first half and only one on target over 95 minutes of the round 16 match.

I see guys are looking to deflect the blame for our loss away from the real culprit. The buck stops at the Coach/Manager. His tactics were poor and amateurish. He was found out and didn't have any of our players to bail him out with one moment of magic.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

1naija wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:32 pm I for one don't think Okoye was responsible for our loss, however, he was responsible for the goal by Tunisia. Those are 2 separate things. I agree with you. We lost the game partly because we had poor forwards, which was compounded by the red card.
It was easy to blame Akpeyi for Algerian free kick and Ezenwa for his mistake (I can't remember now).

We can't blame Okoye for the Tunisian goal! No, we can't....
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

If you don't remember, why do you post gibberish? And only a mad person will blame Akpeyi for the Algerian goal.

A better example would have been the Argentina freekick!
fabio wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:42 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:32 pm I for one don't think Okoye was responsible for our loss, however, he was responsible for the goal by Tunisia. Those are 2 separate things. I agree with you. We lost the game partly because we had poor forwards, which was compounded by the red card.
It was easy to blame Akpeyi for Algerian free kick and Ezenwa for his mistake (I can't remember now).

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

What mistake did Ezenwa make? The reason you can’t remember is that he didn’t make any unless, of course, you consider failing to save a penalty kick a mistake🤔❗️

Cheers.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Okoye is a very good goalkeeper and I have seen him make similar saves at Club level. His problem is when he plays for Nigeria, he appears not to be confident and that is something he has to work on. He should not allow the pressure to get to him and I hope he learns from this experience.
I am happy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:30 pm

What mistake did Ezenwa make? The reason you can’t remember is that he didn’t make any unless, of course, you consider failing to save a penalty kick a mistake🤔❗️

Cheers.
Caused a PK away to Cameroon in 2017 by oddly rushing off his line when the defender had it under control.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:22 am

Cheers.
Caused a PK away to Cameroon in 2017 by oddly rushing off his line when the defender had it under control.
Stop the outrageous lies. This amounts to giving a dog a bad name in order to kill it. Post the video. It should be available❗️

Cheers.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:28 am
maceo4 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:22 am

Cheers.
Stop the outrageous lies. This amounts to giving a dog a bad name in order to kill it. Post the video. It should be available❗️

Cheers.
Why would I need to lie?

Super Eagus 4 Life!