The NEW SE COACH HAS BEEN REVEALED

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The NEW SE COACH HAS BEEN REVEALED

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 pm Let us look at the last few Nigerian coaches

Oliseh - Dropped Mikel (Nigerias best player) for a scrub in Finland. Beefed with all his top players.

Keshi - initially dropped all foreign based players for locals, when this was failing he brought the fb back to save his blushes. He kept out Ike Uche, Odemwingie, Joel Obi, etc. for scrubs The wuru wuru was at levels never before seen in SE.

SSS - was OK but had an obsession with Promise Isaac

Now if you compare Rohr to these guys, with the exception of SSS, whatever wuru wuru we can claim Rohr was up to is nowhere near their levels.

Again I exclude SSS but he wasn't in charge for long, and he had nowhere near the amount of talent to work with as Rohr.
Bros, one can make a similar list regarding Rohr. Start with inviting a semi pro to the national team, think of the controversy surrounding Musa who is past his prime. There are more. So selectively noting a few things and then alleging them as trait of Nigerian coaches is neither here nor there.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 pm Let us look at the last few Nigerian coaches

Oliseh - Dropped Mikel (Nigerias best player) for a scrub in Finland. Beefed with all his top players.

Keshi - initially dropped all foreign based players for locals, when this was failing he brought the fb back to save his blushes. He kept out Ike Uche, Odemwingie, Joel Obi, etc. for scrubs The wuru wuru was at levels never before seen in SE.

Now if you compare Rohr to these guys, with the exception of SSS, whatever wuru wuru we can claim Rohr was up to is nowhere near their levels.

Again I exclude SSS but he wasn't in charge for long, and he had nowhere near the amount of talent to work with as Rohr.
You forgot that Oliseh brought his brother, Churchill's clients, Igboun and Izuchukwu to the SE!
I am happy
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

lol, we thinking Serbian so let's go get him anyway, doubt his record compared to Nigerian coaches doin well is miles apart.
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:40 pm
aruako1 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:04 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:00 pm I will say this. I do not trust any Nigerian coach to not show complete bias and influence in his player selection. They are likely to try and market local players, we've seen it plenty in the past so why should I assume any different.

The good thing about a foreigner is that he will just come and choose the best players, no bias.

Were there to be a guarantee that Amuneke would choose the best players, I might consider him over this guy, but this guy has been to a world cup.
If a Nigerian has made exactly the same choices as Rohr, you would have accused him of being on the take. But you put a caveat on Amuneke for the sole reason of his nationality. You don't know the Serbian but you have already concluded that he has more integrity due to his skin colour.
Aruako, please don’t fall your hand by echoing this stupid “white skin” stuff.
It is so petty.
Bias on this board is against Nigerian coaches in favor of foreigners, not “white people”.
And this is only because of the mucky stories we get to hear about Nigerian coaches almost without exception.
Of course not all have been shown to be true but muck does stick and there is enough evidence for one to be at least wary.

But give us a Viera, a Nuno or even a retired Rijkaard any day and Nigerians will embrace them even harder than any Oyibo coach.
I think the anti-Rohr crowd use this ‘white thing’ to belittle anyone with a counter argument and trivialize anything they have to say.
It is about skin colour and it is not just a football thing. Is it not the same country where multinationals treat white foreigners better than black foreigners? We have not had black foreign coaches yet so we don't have that comparison.

It is not an anti-Rohr thing for me. Look at my posts here. Going into the 2018 World Cup I was fully in support of Rohr. I only started wavering after that World Cup but I still wanted him in until the WC qualifiers this year. My comments on the Serbian have been more positive than most.

I only speak out when local coaches are held to a different standard. That doesn't make me anti-foreign coach.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:42 pm
aruako1 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:30 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:22 pm
aruako1 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:03 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:49 pm
highbury wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:36 pm Africa the cursed land. I guess the only Europeans we can afford are Eastern Europeans. When are we ever going to look within? When will Europe exploitation of Africa with the help of Africans end? I am yet to see a Nigerian coach a European National team.
The Nigerians that are heading teams and in positions of leadership in the corporate world out there did not reach those positions by complaining and not doing the hard work to be even better than their Oyibo peers.
They did not get there because they did not have to fight racism left, right and center.
They did not get there because there were no glass ceilings to be smashed.

More impressively, many of them got their basic education in Nigeria.
You might even be one of them sef.

So don’t come at us lamenting about Nigerian coaches not getting jobs in Oyibo teams.
We have enough problems with our local coaches in Nigeria not improving themselves for Nigerian teams.
Abeg.
But you have one in Amuneke that has taken every opportunity to improve himself and put himself out there and some Nigerians are ruling him out solely because "all Nigerian coaches are corrupt". If Amuneke dies not get the job because the next person is better then that is fine. But this "all Nigerian coaches are corrupt" mantra has to stop.
Not true.
Like I told you before, Amuneke wouldn’t have been on your radar if not for the fact that he is Nigerian.
Change his name to Emmanuel Amunez and slot in his CV amongst a batch of applicants and he’d be way down on your list, if even on that list at all.
~ Out of work for two years
~ ‘Parted ways’ with an Egyptian club in very suspicious circumstances after just 4 weeks.
~ Coached a national team to dead last with zero points at the last AFCON after qualifying them. Again, ‘parted ways’.
~ Won gold at the world U17 level six years ago.

Come on man….you think this is good enough for the SE?
Tanzania sacked him after three wins, two draws and six defeats!
Tanzania.

We love him but he is not the man for the Super Eagles right now.
Just like Xavi would not be in Barcelona's radar if he was not a former player. Xavi has not coached in any European league. Amuneke's record with Tanzania would be poor if Tanzania was not at the level where they had not qualified for the Nations Cup for nearly 30 years before he took over. What type of record did you expect with such a team?

The U-17 team he coached now has a few of our top players.

But it us ok if you don't want him because you feel he is not good enough...you are entitled to that opinion. But rejecting him because "all Nigerian coaches are corrupt" is plain wrong.
That is clearly a minority argument but even you cannot be pleased with the record many of our Nigerian coaches have left, some of whom are still active.
Oliseh didn’t have accusations of corruption dangled over his head. Neither did Amodu if I remember correctly.
There are dodgy coaches in football everywhere. Importantly, there is no allegation about Amuneke that I am aware of. Why should it be an issue due to his passport?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Dammy wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:12 pm

You forgot that Oliseh brought his brother, Churchill's clients, Igboun and Izuchukwu to the SE!
That would only be wrong if he hid the fact that they were his brother's clients (he didn't) or you can show that he made money from the callups (you can't). Steve Bruce regularly picked his son in his teams and nobody screamed corruption. There are many other examples including Johan Cruyff.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

deanotito wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:07 pm Why this gamble? Wth is wrong with these people? Can’t find ex internationals with more pedigree or success???
Like who nah?
Nor be all of us dey here dey follow Nigerian internationals from even before Y2K?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:43 pm
deanotito wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:07 pm Why this gamble? Wth is wrong with these people? Can’t find ex internationals with more pedigree or success???
Like who nah?
Nor be all of us dey here dey follow Nigerian internationals from even before Y2K?
The Serbian had no coaching experience before he was made national team coach after another coach had qualified the country for the WC. So what is this pedigree about?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:32 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:01 pm
aruako1 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:27 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:25 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:16 pm

If a Nigerian has made exactly the same choices as Rohr, you would have accused him of being on the take. But you put a caveat on Amuneke for the sole reason of his nationality. You don't know the Serbian but you have already concluded that he has more integrity due to his skin colour.
I have already addressed Rohr and it is PROVEN the NFF interfered with his selections.

As for your silly "skin colour" argument, I said I'd prefer a foreigner, including BLACK ONES , because I don't want the bias and shady business.

Does this Serbian coach have connections to Nigerian clubs or scouts ? Would a black foreigner?

The fact is we haven't seen a local coach that didn't show bias and ulterior motives since Eguoavoen in 2006.
Eastern Euros are the Nigerians of Europe. They're masters of wuru wuru too. If anybody will work with the NFF and agents under the table it's Russians,Serbs,Croats. Ukrainians etc.
No nationals are more wuruwuru than others. Read up about the "bungs" in English football for example or the corruption scandals in Italy.
It's not even about which nationals are more wuru wuru, it's about Nigerians obviously being more plugged in to the local players scene, and possibly having biases.

What bias will a serb coach other than to pick the best players ?

Will he care what tribe they are from ? Does he have connects to local clubs and agents ?

Sometimes the way you guys reason is astounding.
You’re logic is quite odd, someone just mentioned he might bring in Nigerian players from the useless Serbian league, so that couldn’t be a bias in your mind? You make it seem like bias is an inherently Nigerian thing.

At the end of the day a coach should be judged by his results regardless which players he uses. I think that’s the part that you can’t seem to comprehend. They could use your players and still not get the desired result but they have to deal with the consequences so let them make their own choices and live with it.
Well I think there would be much more outcry from the public if he brought in players from Serbia than if a local coach brought in local players , that many are clamoring for.

Nobody is clamoring for Serbian based players. That move if made would be very vocally opposed.
If the team is playing well and winning trophies it’s only you that will be complaining and wishing he failed for not picking your players…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:39 pm

That would only be wrong if he hid the fact that they were his brother's clients (he didn't) or you can show that he made money from the callups (you can't). Steve Bruce regularly picked his son in his teams and nobody screamed corruption. There are many other examples including Johan Cruyff.
Aruako

No the Cruyff example and others don't count because they are European. However, Oliseh's must count he is Nigerian and African. LOL.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:02 am

Aruako

No the Cruyff example and others don't count because they are European. However, Oliseh's must count he is Nigerian and African. LOL.
Dodgy Harry Redknapp picked his nephew, Frank Lampard.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:00 pm On this new rumored coach, I ask:

What exactly does he bring to the table. Surely that his resume isn't all that.

Now, I like the fact that he is young.

What is his approach to the game? Or are we simply going to swallow the fact that he is European as if that makes him Godsent.
I actually agree with u on this.

I really don think this guy is a good choice.

Coached only 2 teams. Serbia and a Serbian club. His tenure with Serbia was mixed at best.

I'd like someone with more experience.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

He will have to hit the ground running. The ANC will good ground to cut his teach. Salisu will probably be left to pick the team, while he works on the tactics.

He doesn't have to tinker much with the team. Sort out a partner for Osimhen, a creative attacking/playmaker and replacements for Ekong and Balogun.

Rohr deserves to be treated with respect. Pay him his dues and let him leave on a clean slate.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

What is his approach to the game? Or are we simply going to swallow the fact that he is European as if that makes him Godsent.
Enugu,

I'd like to direct your attention to the 3 questions I asked last week, and

The Who has been identified. He's a younger than Rohr Serbian with a thin resume. Ok. Good enough.
What's still unanswered (I see forumers don't want to address it) is the issue of what he'll be hired to accomplish. Is it to play beautiful football? Win AFCON ? Or Get to the wc semis? What are we hiring him to do?
OCCUPY NFF!!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:48 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:43 pm
Like who nah?
The Serbian had no coaching experience before he was made national team coach after another coach had qualified the country for the WC. So what is this pedigree about?
Honestly, if they hire this guy, they should fire Pinnick. I don’t care if he’s elected. Fire him! What in the hell is this??
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:11 am
Enugu II wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:02 am

Aruako

Dodgy Harry Redknapp picked his nephew, Frank Lampard.
Add the former USA national coach Bradley who regularly picked his son and atimes used him as team captain.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Is this some kind of joke? Have they run mad in the NFF??

Did they even bother to read his Wikipedia entry?

Is this April 1???
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:55 am

Enugu,

I'd like to direct your attention to the 3 questions I asked last week, and

The Who has been identified. He's a younger than Rohr Serbian with a thin resume. Ok. Good enough.
What's still unanswered (I see forumers don't want to address it) is the issue of what he'll be hired to accomplish. Is it to play beautiful football? Win AFCON ? Or Get to the wc semis? What are we hiring him to do?
Emir

That question is for the NFF.

However, for me I will be satisfied with winning AFCON and getting beyond opening rounds of the WC and doing consistently well against lower ranked teams. Yes, he should attempt to win the WC [lol] but realistically not winning it is not the end of the world for Nigeria. We just neither have the pedigree nor do we have consistently top level players to help deliver that. Those are my primary hope and hopefully he can do that playing exciting ball.

Now you have my answer.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:33 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:40 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:00 pm I will say this. I do not trust any Nigerian coach to not show complete bias and influence in his player selection. They are likely to try and market local players, we've seen it plenty in the past so why should I assume any different.

The good thing about a foreigner is that he will just come and choose the best players, no bias.

Were there to be a guarantee that Amuneke would choose the best players, I might consider him over this guy, but this guy has been to a world cup.
Aruako, please don’t fall your hand by echoing this stupid “white skin” stuff.
It is so petty.
Bias on this board is against Nigerian coaches in favor of foreigners, not “white people”.
And this is only because of the mucky stories we get to hear about Nigerian coaches almost without exception.
Of course not all have been shown to be true but muck does stick and there is enough evidence for one to be at least wary.

But give us a Viera, a Nuno or even a retired Rijkaard any day and Nigerians will embrace them even harder than any Oyibo coach.
I think the anti-Rohr crowd use this ‘white thing’ to belittle anyone with a counter argument and trivialize anything they have to say.
It is about skin colour and it is not just a football thing. Is it not the same country where multinationals treat white foreigners better than black foreigners? We have not had black foreign coaches yet so we don't have that comparison.

It is not an anti-Rohr thing for me. Look at my posts here. Going into the 2018 World Cup I was fully in support of Rohr. I only started wavering after that World Cup but I still wanted him in until the WC qualifiers this year. My comments on the Serbian have been more positive than most.

I only speak out when local coaches are held to a different standard. That doesn't make me anti-foreign coach.
But you have just accused someone specifically of bias in favor of white skin on this specific issue of SE coach.
I have regularly been accused of the same thing and so have many others for simply making a specific case for Rohr.
It’s a widely used put down and you are casually tapping into it to further your argument. The only difference here is that you are not overtly using the ‘WOWO’ slur, but you are simply saying the same thing.

It has no bearing on the specific debate being had here, so you now opening up the issue to reflect the goings on in Nigerian society as a whole simply for convenience is being disingenuous, which tbh is unlike you.

The converse situation would be to accuse your stance as being racist. But we know that is not the case and no one has ever suggested that or made the accusation becos it would be equally dubious.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

From what I understand the Serb is one of the options. Is that not what other people understand from the headlines ?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:23 am From what I understand the Serb is one of the options. Is that not what other people understand from the headlines ?
There are 4 names in contention right now, the Serb is currently leading but nothing is guaranteed yet until the favorite is announced this week.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Look at the guy you are hiring. From frying pan to fire lol. You will regret getting rid of Rohr.

[tweet][/tweet]