FIFA - Africa Rankings

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

malamax
Egg
Egg
FIFA - Africa Rankings

Post by malamax »

Anyone tell me how come Senegal is number 1 in Africa when they have NEVER won the Nations Cup.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.in/african ... ewerb/AFCN
ataka
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FIFA - Africa Rankings

Post by vancity eagle »

You do not know how the rankings work. It's not based on trophies, nor should it be.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:58 am You do not know how the rankings work. It's not based on trophies, nor should it be.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

malamax wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:56 am Anyone tell me how come Senegal is number 1 in Africa when they have NEVER won the Nations Cup.

It is based on recent assumed strength of a team using various factors. It is not based on winning a trophy. The criteria is available online.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:58 am You do not know how the rankings work. It's not based on trophies, nor should it be.
I think he knows exactly how FIFA ranks teams; unevenly. His comment is basically a protestation of FIFA’s unfair and illogical ranking methods❗️

Cheers.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

malamax wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:56 am Anyone tell me how come Senegal is number 1 in Africa when they have NEVER won the Nations Cup.

BUT they qualified for the QF of a WC
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:31 pm
I think he knows exactly how FIFA ranks teams; unevenly. His comment is basically a protestation of FIFA’s unfair and illogical ranking methods❗️

Cheers.
I actually don't agree with how FIFA ranks teams, but no serious ranking system will rank a team solely by trophies.

I've even created my own system which I believe is far superior to FIFA and the top ranked African side is Algeria, while in FIFA they are #4.