Juan Antonio Pizzi applies for SE job

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

joao
Egg
Egg
Re: Juan Antonio Pizzi applies for SE job

Post by joao »

Ive read a lot of yarn about Naija football style and culture, and wonder what that would be
beyond hyping players and being overly loud when the SE wins, plus complaining about everything
when things are not going well.

I believe Kongi got it right with his suggestions about this or any coach,
...I don't think he's the type you can owe salary.
Add to that our love of interfering with people we hire to do things they are experts at,
because we don't qualify to do it ourselves.

If only we can humble ourselves and patiently find that fellow citizen that can do the job,
and treat him with respect, and pay him as due. Then can we resolve this rotating comedy
of errors.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

Can our players even handle the intensity of this guys style of play? Haha. His teams press all day high up the field and attack nonostop.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

fabio wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:28 pm He has World Cup and Confederations Cup experience. He will not go to the WC to learn
Yeah, but how good is he? Will he make us proud of our team?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

iworo wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:03 pm INTERVIEW: Juan Antonio Pizzi says Saudi Arabia have nothing to fear at World Cup

16 June 2018

• Argentine boss of Green Falcons certain the players are now used to his style of play after seven months in the hotseat.
  • Pizzi and players head to Russia where they will play the hosts in the opening match on Thursday.

Yet we have a lowlife who said we are going to learn :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Odas wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:10 am
fabio wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:28 pm He has World Cup and Confederations Cup experience. He will not go to the WC to learn
Yeah, but how good is he? Will he make us proud of our team?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Goalgetter wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:10 am Can our players even handle the intensity of this guys style of play? Haha. His teams press all day high up the field and attack nonostop.
Do they have a choice? The good thing is that Pizzi's system of football will expose the lazy and crap players in this team who have been getting away with been sh#t. We need a serious minded coach to fire up these players, if you're not good enough then you get dropped.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:32 pm This is the kind of coach we should be going for. I pray it happens
Did this coach really applied for the Super-eagles' job? Isn't he still on contract with Saudi Arabia (SA) and so, tied-up? On the other hand, can we (Nigeria) give him the type of support he got from SA? Can we pay him his salaries on time? Personally, I wish we can have him as well.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Goalgetter wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:10 am Can our players even handle the intensity of this guys style of play? Haha. His teams press all day high up the field and attack nonostop
Isn't such the best way to play football (soccer)? In my little playing days, one of the things I remember my coach say was; 'in attack, attack; in defense, attack.'

It so boils down to having the stamina and to attack our opponents ceaselessly. It worked a lot of times because even when we were losing, our opponents were still concerned we might come back and beat them.

Thus, this coach whose team attack and attack might be a good one for us. Any of our players who doesn't have the stamina to handle the game might not belong to the team.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Odas wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:55 am
Goalgetter wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:10 am Can our players even handle the intensity of this guys style of play? Haha. His teams press all day high up the field and attack nonostop
Isn't such the best way to play football (soccer)? In my little playing days, one of the things I remember my coach say was; 'in attack, attack; in defense, attack.'

It so boils down to having the stamina and to attack our opponents ceaselessly. It worked a lot of times because even when we were losing, our opponents were still concerned we might come back and beat them.

Thus, this coach whose team attack and attack might be a good one for us. Any of our players who doesn't have the stamina to handle the game might not belong to the team.
Sounds good in theory and I love it. Precisely how Amuneke has his team play as well. However, if you really think about it, there are concerns:

1. These players may be coming from cool climates and adjusting to fast paced play in a far warmer climate can be an issue.

2. Consider also that the limited substitution (three) does not help either. In my view, he will be good in tournaments but playing a team like that from different temperate zones and over short periods could be challenging.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics