CAF set to approve one round play off in Qatar

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CAF set to approve one round play off in Qatar

Post by Kabalega »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:06 pm
Eaglezbeak wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:04 pm
highbury wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:05 pm I guess the advantage is:
Egypt
Tunisia
Morocco
Algeria
Token West African Country
Yes it’s fixed, whichever West African nation is not playing a North African team will qualify but hey!
If the teams play one round in Qatar, the small teams have a very good chance of going through.
Heck, the reason "big" teams beat the smaller countries in CAF is mainly due to better resources and logistics.

If you take S. Sudan to camp in Qatar with Algeria, Egypt, Nigeria or Morocco, then all bets are off. Especially, in a one-off game.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

I support this too. It eliminates home advantage problems that influences games in Africa. They qualifies using home advantage and go to mundial to stink up the joint. Btw, North African teams don’t have and advantage. Read up, Arab countries are pernicious and hate each other. Egypt v Algeria classic case. More importantly, each country get allocated tickets. You can bet Naija will pay up to go. I will be there live, if it material8ze
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

CAF also need to start implementing VAR. The South Africa vs Ghana game should be an example of how bad officiaitng is in Africa. Certainly cost us multiple Afcon titles. Nigeria should have 5 Afcon titles not 3 if VAR was available.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:15 pm I am really shocked at the response to this proposal, except from a few. Here, we are always complaining about funding for African competitions and poor grounds. Yet, when a move is made to address this, we grumble. So what gives?

First, if Qatar is doling out major sums to support the hosting of these games why should it really matter? Because it brings needed cash to the African games. That is why. It is the lack of funds that we persistently complain about.

Second, hosting continental competition outside the continent is not unique in this case. For those complaining, what do you think a few years ago when Europe brought a club competitive game to Libreville, Gabon a few years ago? I bet many of you will soon jump on the bandwagon when the European leagues begin to play more games all over the world and spreading its brand. Then you will suddenly realize it is a good thing. Of course, Africa cannot be expected to lead the bandwagon of these types of relationships because it is only acceptable when Eutrope leads. That is the mindset that we are all accustomed to.

What you are seeing is the future of football --- GLOBALLY. I am glad that Africa is doing this as long as there are massive funds attached.

BTW, we now have the American NFL hosting games annually in England and, at times, in Mexico. It is called spreading the BRAND. It is a worthwhile deal as long as SIGNIFICANT DOLLARS are attached. I applaud Ahmad for this if dollars come with it.
We are talking about World Cup Qualifying matches here and not some charity match to make some easy dollars. I don’t need to say more.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The African mentality will always keep us back. See how some think it's good because of facilities and money but don't mention the fact qualifiers are the only chance most fans get to see their teams.

If you play North African teams in Qatar you be playing 2 away games.North African nations have very good air linkage to the ME. If we draw Any North African teams you can expect thousands to fly to the game. They're not as poor as us and don't need visas.
OCCUPY NFF!!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

How many fans actually go to games?

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

The Fake $2 Africans have the Arab World cup and will be acclimitised to the conditions in Qatar already. This is a dumb @$$ move by CAF. Why not play the games in South Africa, Or Gabon or Zambia.??? The Stadia there are just as good as other Stadia in North Africa plus those nations are already eliminated.. I swear the people running CAF are eediots.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

You obviously have never visited Uyo during SE matches and witness the economic boom to the city

ohenhen1 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:14 am
Cmoke wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:42 pm What about the economic benefit of hosting those gains in Africa!

Cmoke
You referring to the empty seats, low TV right payents, cost of security, cost of flying in players and detc.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Cmoke wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:46 am You obviously have never visited Uyo during SE matches and witness the economic boom to the city

Cmoke wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:42 pm What about the economic benefit of hosting those gains in Africa!

Cmoke
You referring to the empty seats, low TV right payents, cost of security, cost of flying in players and detc.
Talk about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

bret- hart wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:05 am The Fake $2 Africans have the Arab World cup and will be acclimitised to the conditions in Qatar already. This is a dumb @$$ move by CAF. Why not play the games in South Africa, Or Gabon or Zambia.??? The Stadia there are just as good as other Stadia in North Africa plus those nations are already eliminated.. I swear the people running CAF are eediots.
They are are pathetic!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

Qatar already has venues ready for the world cup so why not play the "home" and "away" in different venues? This one game elimination makes me very nervous for this Cardiac Eagles squad. I have more confidence with a 2 game aggregate against any team with our current squad
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

No advantage to North African teams. The stadiums have cooling systems to help with the heat. Players play the game. Arab nations are not united in support of one another. Huge rivalries and division. B

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Cmoke wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:46 am You obviously have never visited Uyo during SE matches and witness the economic boom to the city

Cmoke
CAF will allow 5000 fans to attend the game in Uyo If a game was held today's. CAF havent said this will be a permanent move. I still don't think the games held in Africa have had. a major economic impact. That is why FAs are struggling for cash across the continent.

Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

ohenhen1 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:28 pm No advantage to North African teams. The stadiums have cooling systems to help with the heat. Players play the game. Arab nations are not united in support of one another. Huge rivalries and division. B

You say that but during the last Afcon in Egypt the North Africans didn't want to see a sub Saharan African nation win.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

I don't wanna see Tunisia and their boring football.

Nigeria, Senegal, Algeria, Morocco and Ghana qualifying.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Very incoherent narratives all over the place
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

If this goes ahead, what you'll see are teams playing ultra conservatively and most of the games will end in penalties.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:05 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:15 pm I am really shocked at the response to this proposal, except from a few. Here, we are always complaining about funding for African competitions and poor grounds. Yet, when a move is made to address this, we grumble. So what gives?

First, if Qatar is doling out major sums to support the hosting of these games why should it really matter? Because it brings needed cash to the African games. That is why. It is the lack of funds that we persistently complain about.

Second, hosting continental competition outside the continent is not unique in this case. For those complaining, what do you think a few years ago when Europe brought a club competitive game to Libreville, Gabon a few years ago? I bet many of you will soon jump on the bandwagon when the European leagues begin to play more games all over the world and spreading its brand. Then you will suddenly realize it is a good thing. Of course, Africa cannot be expected to lead the bandwagon of these types of relationships because it is only acceptable when Eutrope leads. That is the mindset that we are all accustomed to.

What you are seeing is the future of football --- GLOBALLY. I am glad that Africa is doing this as long as there are massive funds attached.

BTW, we now have the American NFL hosting games annually in England and, at times, in Mexico. It is called spreading the BRAND. It is a worthwhile deal as long as SIGNIFICANT DOLLARS are attached. I applaud Ahmad for this if dollars come with it.
We are talking about World Cup Qualifying matches here and not some charity match to make some easy dollars. I don’t need to say more.
Lolly

All matches, including the World Cup, should generate funds. You are actually labeling them charity for fans if they are not designed to generate funds.

Moreover, we keep complaining of poor facilities and comparing ourselves to Europe but enforcing measures to improve facilities lead to complaints. You cannot eat your cake and have it at the same time.. I laud CAF for forcing moves to seek ways to improve families and funds to do so.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics