CAF set to approve one round play off in Qatar

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Robotnik
Egg
Egg
Re: CAF set to approve one round play off in Qatar

Post by Robotnik »

highbury wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:05 pm I guess the advantage is:
Egypt
Tunisia
Morocco
Algeria
Token West African Country
There is a high probability of Egypt landing one of North African countries in pot 1. So 3 instead of 4 might go through.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Cellular wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:52 pm This got me feeling some kinda way.

But I like it.

It is a win/win in a winner takes all type of knockout.
No shenanigans.
Top quality amenities.
Decrease in travel logistics nightmare.
CAF/FIFA will be there with the requisite technology and human capital.
The game will come down to the best teams and not due to home-field advantage.
It gives African countries a leg up on planning for the WC as they get to see the sites that might be suitable for camping.
Lastly, and most importantly, MOOLAR! Cold hard cash...

Your World Cup starts there and then.
Hmm, very good points raised. I am beginning to like the idea too. At least, the chance of the best teams progressing to represent Africa is much better and VAR will likely be deployed in the games.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Remember when somebody mentioned Qatar hosting the AFCON.

I think that kind of possibility is not to far off IMO. As somebody said, this is the new Globalized world, and this is how things will operate in the future.

I see upcomming problems with the AFCON to continue to be hosted in January. Something will have to give.

We say that the summer months is rainy season. Well IMO most of the AFrican nations with the infrastructure to host afcon do not have rainy seasons, primarily South and North Africa. Maybe Qatar can be added to the equation.

Also I have brought up the idea on bigsoccer of an upgraded Afro/Asian Cup.

With all the talk of biennial World Cups, it seems UEFA is against the idea.

Well instead of a biennial world cup, a new competiton which includes the top teams from Africa, Asia, and Concacaf could be in the works. These kind of tournaments will be hosted in a place like Qatar.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Also I think just because the matches would be hosted in neutral Qatar, doesn't mean there should not be 2 matches.

For such a crucial reward, 1 match is kind of a let down.

2 matchups still decreases any chance of freak result, and it will greater prepare the African sides who have not played many top quality matches. Also it will be better to increase FIFA rankings.

I say 2 matches, both in Qatar.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I like the idea. There will be a lot of drama, pressure. Will help prepare the teams for the world cup. I would have prefered all 10 teams playing each other once at neutral venues with the top 5 teams making the world cup.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Egypt
Tunisia
Morocco
Algeria
Yes it’s fixed, whichever West African nation is playing a North African team will qualify but hey!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

No two matches, just one single game. Single elmination game

Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:04 pm
Egypt
Tunisia
Morocco
Algeria
Yes it’s fixed, whichever West African nation is not playing a North African team will qualify but hey!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

How about this idea.

1. Afcon expanded to 32 teams All 2nd round teams enter world cup qualifications.
2. 16 teams gets reduced to 8 teams in a playoff format.
3. The final round will involve 8 teams playing one match against each other at a neutral venue. Top 5 teams make the world cup. That is like 7 games over a 2 year period.

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:04 pm No two matches, just one single game. Single elmination game
Where are you guys getting all this info from?
Why would FIFA (WC is run by FIFA not CAF) change the qualifying format midstream?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:15 pm I am really shocked at the response to this proposal, except from a few. Here, we are always complaining about funding for African competitions and poor grounds. Yet, when a move is made to address this, we grumble. So what gives?

First, if Qatar is doling out major sums to support the hosting of these games why should it really matter? Because it brings needed cash to the African games. That is why. It is the lack of funds that we persistently complain about.

Second, hosting continental competition outside the continent is not unique in this case. For those complaining, what do you think a few years ago when Europe brought a club competitive game to Libreville, Gabon a few years ago? I bet many of you will soon jump on the bandwagon when the European leagues begin to play more games all over the world and spreading its brand. Then you will suddenly realize it is a good thing. Of course, Africa cannot be expected to lead the bandwagon of these types of relationships because it is only acceptable when Eutrope leads. That is the mindset that we are all accustomed to.

What you are seeing is the future of football --- GLOBALLY. I am glad that Africa is doing this as long as there are massive funds attached.

BTW, we now have the American NFL hosting games annually in England and, at times, in Mexico. It is called spreading the BRAND. It is a worthwhile deal as long as SIGNIFICANT DOLLARS are attached. I applaud Ahmad for this if dollars come with it.
EII, so you cited one match between European clubs in Gabon, and was there a follow-up to that?
Club football matches and NFL games being played in Mexico and other European locations are different
from national team matches, as the NFL is merely trying to spread its brand as you rightly suggested.
Competitive matchups of national teams are quite different from that of club football, as a ManU versus
Chelsea game would be better subscribed to in Lagos or Johannesburg, as against a Ghana vs Algeria at
same locations.

What atmosphere is to be provided for a Nigeria versus Cameroon in Qatar when most fans of the
competing teams cannot afford to be present. Maybe you are just looking at the streaming side of
the equation which surely can generate money for some networks. I want to bet that most European
national teams will rather play competitive matches in from of their home fans, thus why not Africans.
Cheers!!!
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I would have preferred two games rather than a single elimination game. I feel like there's a higher chance of upsets in a single elimination game. However, going by how we've been playing better away from home this may actually be good for Nigeria.
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:15 pm I am really shocked at the response to this proposal, except from a few. Here, we are always complaining about funding for African competitions and poor grounds. Yet, when a move is made to address this, we grumble. So what gives?

First, if Qatar is doling out major sums to support the hosting of these games why should it really matter? Because it brings needed cash to the African games. That is why. It is the lack of funds that we persistently complain about.

Second, hosting continental competition outside the continent is not unique in this case. For those complaining, what do you think a few years ago when Europe brought a club competitive game to Libreville, Gabon a few years ago? I bet many of you will soon jump on the bandwagon when the European leagues begin to play more games all over the world and spreading its brand. Then you will suddenly realize it is a good thing. Of course, Africa cannot be expected to lead the bandwagon of these types of relationships because it is only acceptable when Eutrope leads. That is the mindset that we are all accustomed to.

What you are seeing is the future of football --- GLOBALLY. I am glad that Africa is doing this as long as there are massive funds attached.

BTW, we now have the American NFL hosting games annually in England and, at times, in Mexico. It is called spreading the BRAND. It is a worthwhile deal as long as SIGNIFICANT DOLLARS are attached. I applaud Ahmad for this if dollars come with it.
EII:
A very astute observation of a global soccer tournament strategy and to a larger extent sports in general. What I find especially important is that this is a win-win situation for the SE. Nigeria has not particularly been stelar at home. Their last two must-win games at home was 0-1-1. On the other hand Nigeria seems to play comfortably on the road or neutral ground. Their last two games on the road was 2-0-0. So playing in a neutral ground in Qatar has largely assuaged my concerns. All the teams are now going to be equally prepared for this new format and it should be interesting how they will approach the game.
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I guess it serves as a dress rehearsal for Qatar, not sure yet how this benefits the African teams.
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

olu wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:31 pm I would have preferred two games rather than a single elimination game. I feel like there's a higher chance of upsets in a single elimination game. However, going by how we've been playing better away from home this may actually be good for Nigeria.
That's why they play the games. Any 'favorite' that assumes they are just going to show up and win because of their higher ranking will be watching the World Cup from home. All the teams now have for months to start serious preparation. There is a reason why they call it knockout round :)
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Abbey wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:38 pm
olu wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:31 pm I would have preferred two games rather than a single elimination game. I feel like there's a higher chance of upsets in a single elimination game. However, going by how we've been playing better away from home this may actually be good for Nigeria.
That's why they play the games. Any 'favorite' that assumes they are just going to show up and win because of their higher ranking will be watching the World Cup from home. All the teams now have for months to start serious preparation. There is a reason why they call it knockout round :)
:agree:

Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

What about the economic benefit of hosting those gains in Africa!

Cmoke
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

This will simply give the North Africans an advantage. They will surely have more fans. It will be like a home game for them.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

If nigeria loses out at least we know we played in Qatar lol
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

I get it and it’s inevitable.

But it’s still sad.

The last 30 years has seen the game taken away from the fans, right around the world, in service of global TV audience and the money that brings. The Super League debacle last summer was a huge example of this and the fight back from the fans in Europe probably only postponed this for a decade or so.

I was a poor kid in Enugu in the late 80s and managed to scrap up a few Naira to watch Henry Nwosu and Peter Rufai against Algeria in an Olympic qualifier which we won 2-0. It transformed my relationship with the team.

Now, the game is all about money, and that makes sense, but it’s robbing the game of its romance and the connection to the fans.

But lets not blame FIFA or the Qataris. Let’s blame ourselves for allowing our game and our infrastructure and our institutions to fall into such a state of disrepair.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Cmoke wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:42 pm What about the economic benefit of hosting those gains in Africa!

Cmoke
You referring to the empty seats, low TV right payents, cost of security, cost of flying in players and detc.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Robotnik wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:49 pm If nigeria loses out at least we know we played in Qatar lol
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:25 am
Robotnik wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:49 pm If nigeria loses out at least we know we played in Qatar lol
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:clap: