The vestige of Colonialism still lingers

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

highbury
Egg
Egg
The vestige of Colonialism still lingers

Post by highbury »

The day Africa ( Nigeria) believe in themselves is when the chain is finally broken. Folks don't understand the unconscious inferiority complex Nigerians have with the revolving door of White foreign coaches in the SE. Having alot of money or weath does not negate that effect. A good example is Pinnick- A man with so much money and influence yet, has so much inferiority complex it's so nauseating. When will this flirting with foreign coaches end? When?
joao
Egg
Egg
Re: The vestige of Colonialism still lingers

Post by joao »

Local or Foreign coach, our football problems lies with interference and lack of patience.
We need to hire a coach and offer the person a free hand with regards selection and tactics.
Also needed is patience to see through, with time, what the appointee is trying to put together.
I believe the day we realize and engage these attitudes will be when we find that local coach.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We keep putting square pegs in round holes. The quality of the minds that run our affairs is low, they see the past clearer than the future. Pinnick should be secondary school sports admin in Delta but since we don't have sports in schools can use his influence to terrorize us.
OCCUPY NFF!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

highbury wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:24 am The day Africa ( Nigeria) believe in themselves is when the chain is finally broken. Folks don't understand the unconscious inferiority complex Nigerians have with the revolving door of White foreign coaches in the SE. Having alot of money or weath does not negate that effect. A good example is Pinnick- A man with so much money and influence yet, has so much inferiority complex it's so nauseating. When will this flirting with foreign coaches end? When?

Peeps like u amuse me..

You prove yourself in the international community by the strength of your economy and political organization.
Not the nationality of your coach in something as irrelevant in the general scheme of things as football- an entertainment sport.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:18 pm
highbury wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:24 am The day Africa ( Nigeria) believe in themselves is when the chain is finally broken. Folks don't understand the unconscious inferiority complex Nigerians have with the revolving door of White foreign coaches in the SE. Having alot of money or weath does not negate that effect. A good example is Pinnick- A man with so much money and influence yet, has so much inferiority complex it's so nauseating. When will this flirting with foreign coaches end? When?

Peeps like u amuse me..

You prove yourself in the international community by the strength of your economy and political organization.
Not the nationality of your coach in something as irrelevant in the general scheme of things as football- an entertainment sport.
They ALL go hand-in-hand.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:02 pm
txj wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:18 pm

Peeps like u amuse me..

They ALL go hand-in-hand.

Not really. Football is still entertainment.
Most of the Asian countries use foreign coaches.

One would have to be crazy to assess them based on the nationality of their football coach...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Highbury

Thanks for noting this. This a shame and a debilitating one. People may think that it does not matter but it does.

1. What exactly is it about coaching that
Makes it too complex for a Nigerian rto grasp?

2. We have read about Nigerian coaches learning from a white European since 1950s. Are so blocked in the head that we are yet to learn?

3. How come that our records on the average under a white European coaches has not been much better than records under local Nigerians?

4. What has Rohr achieved specifically that had not been equalled or bettered under a Nigerian?

In my view, it is deepseating inferiority complex. It is deep, very deep. It is such that those affected are at an unconscio y s level that they cannot grasp the effect.

Bekee bu Agbara (white person is magician) effect.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I don’t buy all this talk about a deep seated inferiority complex.

Nigerians are excelling in all areas of human endeavor all over the world.
Nigeria is a country where some of the brightest minds today (and even yesterday) have come from some of the poorest backgrounds imaginable.

So what is it about football and coaching that makes it an exception?
I have asked this question before on CE and the popular view is that it is the lack of infrastructure.
I personally believe that football is not necessarily attracting the best minds into coaching. I even asked our own ex-SE player Oloye for his thoughts.

As for administration, I believe it is the lazy thinking that concludes that our problems are simply down to “cluelessness” and “corruption”.
People are just repeating the age old mantra they’ve held in their heads for 20 years without challenging their own thoughts.

I might not be holding brief for Pinnick or his VPs, but this corruption that everyone likes to echo, where is the evidence that is so obvious that people like to repeat it as if a given? Not yesterday’s evidence, but today’s.
The here and now.
It’s as if people just don’t want to go into critical analysis mode and would rather just stick to blanket assumptions. They are just happy to criticize without the analysis.

Again I repeat, people should back up their accusations with facts. Poor performance is more likely due to a myriad of factors.
Accusations of corruption and ignorance are just the easy and popular way to vent frustration.

Why didn’t anyone allude to any of this the day we had the VP right under our noses on CE Zoom for two hours?
Because he spoke about transparency and measures put in place which were open to scrutiny and challenge.

That thread was largely ignored as if it didn’t even exist.
People just wanna stick with their own beliefs because it is comfortable.
If Pinnick and his crew are corrupt, someone should kindly let us know how.
Specifically.

Trust me, some of us really want to know and not be found mumbling wooly stories based on ‘somebody said’.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

It's 2021 and people are still arguing about dumb s***.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

This thing has come up again and again over the years and I'm still puzzled as to where these people are coming from. If this is an issue for you, why don't you also throw a fit about the fact that whites are building our roads, bridges, and refineries in Nigeria? Why only make a stand on football?

It just comes across as having a chip on your shoulder.... desperate to prove that you're equal by making a stand over the football coach of the SE?

Rohr was hired off the back of Nigeria failing to qualify for back-to-back AFCONs under THREE local coaches. Something NEW needed to be done to shake things up. No ifs or buts. Pinnick did the right thing then. The question now is, has Rohr overstayed his usefulness? Popular opinion seems to suggest so. If that is the case, then pay him off and get someone else with a similar level of experience ASAP. Enough of this silly race talk.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Orion wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:43 pm This thing has come up again and again over the years and I'm still puzzled as to where these people are coming from. If this is an issue for you, why don't you also throw a fit about the fact that whites are building our roads, bridges, and refineries in Nigeria? Why only make a stand on football?

It just comes across as having a chip on your shoulder.... desperate to prove that you're equal by making a stand over the football coach of the SE?

Rohr was hired off the back of Nigeria failing to qualify for back-to-back AFCONs under THREE local coaches. Something NEW needed to be done to shake things up. No ifs or buts. Pinnick did the right thing then. The question now is, has Rohr overstayed his usefulness? Popular opinion seems to suggest so. If that is the case, then pay him off and get someone else with a similar level of experience ASAP. Enough of this silly race talk.
Bros

1. This is a football site and that is why the discourse is on football.

2. Rohr may have been hired because of poor analysis. Was it really the color of the coach that led to the failures you described? If it was why did it not matter when Keshi won or Amodu or Onugbinde, or Egu, or others won medals at the same AFCON? were they white?

Poor analysis lead to poor solutions. Nothing else to add.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:41 pm
Orion wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:43 pm This thing has come up again and again over the years and I'm still puzzled as to where these people are coming from. If this is an issue for you, why don't you also throw a fit about the fact that whites are building our roads, bridges, and refineries in Nigeria? Why only make a stand on football?

Bros

1. This is a football site and that is why the discourse is on football.

2. Rohr may have been hired because of poor analysis. Was it really the color of the coach that led to the failures you described? If it was why did it not matter when Keshi won or Amodu or Onugbinde, or Egu, or others won medals at the same AFCON? were they white?

Poor analysis lead to poor solutions. Nothing else to add.
Prof, Rohr was hired after the string of poor results. Finish.
We needed a coach with a number of qualities.
What and who could we afford?
If we could, we woulda hired one of the many ‘A’ listers from the coaching world.
But we couldn’t. Rohr was even second choice becos the first choice hire chickened out for whatever reason.

If you have the time to analyze CE threads and the general mood of the public, this debate goes in cycles : local coach to foreign coach back to local and then foreign again. It has been going on for decades. It’s not a new thing. It’s been long enough for local coaches and ex-players to prove their mettle in the real world.
So why haven’t they? And why so few of them?

The only reason you, I and numerous others here are plying our trades abroad is because foreign countries need our skills. But we did the training. If they didn’t need us we’d be in Nigeria.
Oyibo don’t need Nigerian coaches unless of course they excel.
So they basically have to stay home and develop from there.

But they are not getting it right. If they are waiting for govt to develop them, they are joking.
They should look to how Nollywood and the Nigerian music industry made themselves relevant to the world despite a lack of proper infrastructure and now the world is coming to knock on our doors. My father laughed in my face after WAEC when I said I wanted to make films.

This is why I believe the right people are not looking into coaching as a career.
If I had a football-mad son today with ambitions of being a top coach and nothing else, I’d guarantee him being one of the best African coaches in about 20 years as long as he sets his mind to it. It’s very possible becos there is no credible competition.

Naija nor dey carry last…except maybe our coaches. :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Hahahahahaha... some of you guys talk like you have the memory of a fruitfly. "Race Talk" is silly? Are you for real? If it is silly why the efforts to address racism in every EPL game? Why the talk to address the hiring disparity in football? "Race talk is sill"? Where do they get you negroes from?

As for Pinnick and his preference of a Foreign Coach for the Eagles, I just finished reiterating the chronology of events that led Pinnick to hire ****.

Hiring a foreign coach was part of Pinnick's campaign promise during the controversial and contentious NFF elections.

Keshi was NEVER his guy. Pinnick 'managed' Keshi because of the Presidency (GEJ).

Just like Pinnick trying to frustrate **** into resigning, he went the other route with Keshi and with Oliseh... he sacrificed our qualification in order to get what he wanted for a long time. He knew fully well that Oliseh will implode because Oliseh won't take the malfeasance that Keshi or Siasia will take.

As for Damunk asking for evidence of corruption, I just have to laugh. Do you remember the issue of World Cup Money? How the FIFA subvention was squandered and the FGN had to fly in cash to pay outstanding bonuses and pay for logistics in Brazil? Do you remember what happened before the players boarded the plane to Brazil for the Confederation Cup? Do you remember what happened at the World Cup proper how the players stayed up late prior to the game against France? Or do you remember the debacle at the Olympics over the same issue of money? I also happened to be in Abuja when former members of the Eagles under the aegis of Save our Football, went on Brekete show to level series of serious accusations against this NFF leadership. They asked for EFCC investigation and named names... nothing ever came of it.

The fight for NFF leadership was the main culprit for nonqualification... sides were taken, and the losers ended up being Naijarian football fans. The people who won instead of being reconciliatory now chose to vanquish their adversaries.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Damunk wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:30 am I don’t buy all this talk about a deep seated inferiority complex.

Nigeria is a country where some of the brightest minds today (and even yesterday) have come from some of the poorest backgrounds imaginable.

I have asked this question before on CE and the popular view is that it is the lack of infrastructure.
I personally believe that football is not necessarily attracting the best minds into coaching. I even asked our own ex-SE player Oloye for his thoughts.

As for administration, I believe it is the lazy thinking that concludes that our problems are simply down to “cluelessness” and “corruption”.
People are just repeating the age old mantra they’ve held in their heads for 20 years without challenging their own thoughts.

I might not be holding brief for Pinnick or his VPs, but this corruption that everyone likes to echo, where is the evidence that is so obvious that people like to repeat it as if a given? Not yesterday’s evidence, but today’s.
The here and now.
It’s as if people just don’t want to go into critical analysis mode and would rather just stick to blanket assumptions. They are just happy to criticize without the analysis.

Again I repeat, people should back up their accusations with facts. Poor performance is more likely due to a myriad of factors.
Accusations of corruption and ignorance are just the easy and popular way to vent frustration.

Why didn’t anyone allude to any of this the day we had the VP right under our noses on CE Zoom for two hours?
Because he spoke about transparency and measures put in place which were open to scrutiny and challenge.

Specifically.

Trust me, some of us really want to know and not be found mumbling wooly stories based on ‘somebody said’.

The first reason for this anomaly is the absence of a functional domestic game and pro league, because that is the lab for learning and innovation.

That's why all this clamor for hiring LCs for SE come from unserious people or outright ignoramuses, who do not understand the link between the domestic game and the SE.

A functional professional domestic game does not only throw up new talents, but also innovative young coaches.

The second reason comes from the plyers. First time I said this on CE years ago there was a HUGE outcry and a rain of insults.

Nigerian footballers have never come from the brightest players in the class. That is a fact that is not controverted by a few exceptions.

In turn many lack the mental capacity or the interest and application to transition to top level coaching.

There is no short cut to becoming a top coach. That's the first thing Steven Gerard says Klopp told him when he advised him to start from the bottom up. Contrast that with Frank Lampard...

Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

txj wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:59 pm
Damunk wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:30 am I don’t buy all this talk about a deep seated inferiority complex.

The here and now.

Specifically.

The first reason for this anomaly is the absence of a functional domestic game and pro league, because that is the lab for learning and innovation.

That's why all this clamor for hiring LCs for SE come from unserious people or outright ignoramuses, who do not understand the link between the domestic game and the SE.

A functional professional domestic game does not only throw up new talents, but also innovative young coaches.

The second reason comes from the plyers. First time I said this on CE years ago there was a HUGE outcry and a rain of insults.

Nigerian footballers have never come from the brightest players in the class. That is a fact that is not controverted by a few exceptions.

In turn many lack the mental capacity or the interest and application to transition to top level coaching.

There is no short cut to becoming a top coach. That's the first thing Steven Gerard says Klopp told him when he advised him to start from the bottom up. Contrast that with Frank Lampard...
You are so full of $@#% with your comments it is beyond the pale.
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

The here and now.

Specifically.

Nna, you have a very serious problem.

This is the same exact sentiment that cuts across the terrain in a lot of coaching jobs, not just football or in Naijaria.

Fellas like you think the Negro is too thick to get coaching... or be a successful coach.

And you help perpetuate such crass and stupid stereotypes.

Tufiakwa!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Cellular wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:52 pm

The here and now.

Specifically.

This is the same exact sentiment that cuts across the terrain in a lot of coaching jobs, not just football or in Naijaria.

Fellas like you think the Negro is too thick to get coaching... or be a successful coach.

Tufiakwa!
You will think this guy has some modicum of intelligence. A lot of white sports related people have been fired or lost their jobs over these over the top stereotypes. And this is coming from a BLACK man. Wow!
Remember this statement from Al Campanis?
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Abbey wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:30 pm

The here and now.

Specifically.

Tufiakwa!
You will think this guy has some modicum of intelligence. A lot of white sports related people have been fired or lost their jobs over these over the top stereotypes. And this is coming from a BLACK man. Wow!
April 6, 1987, Al Campanis had the misfortune of saying out loud what the establishment and some misguided black people feel.

November 2021, a black man on Cyber Eagles is repeating the same tripe.

He is comfortable enough to repeat such nonsense... tomorrow when he becomes the NFF chairman and he goes on to enforce his prejudices we will be making excuses for him.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The here and now.

Specifically.

Tufiakwa!

You either have a comprehension problem or you choose not to think with your head!

I stand by my statement. Most peeps who want to be honest will attest to the fact that most of our footballers were never the brightest in the class. They simply were not. That is a fact.

Were their exceptions? Absolutely! But these were always far and few in between...

Their accomplishments was clearly in a different area. And it seems to be transferring to the issue of transition to coaching.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:15 pm
Abbey wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:30 pm

The here and now.

Specifically.

Tufiakwa!
April 6, 1987, Al Campanis had the misfortune of saying out loud what the establishment and some misguided black people feel.

He is comfortable enough to repeat such nonsense... tomorrow when he becomes the NFF chairman and he goes on to enforce his prejudices we will be making excuses for him.

You are making quite a career on CE of being stupid!

The very same thing I said here, I said wrt European footballers. I specifically said so about Jamie Carragher for instance.
Not every player has the smarts to transition to coaching...

You have to be of a certain intellectual bent to "see" the game from a conceptual standpoint...

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Cellular wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:39 pm

Hahahahahaha... some of you guys talk like you have the memory of a fruitfly. "Race Talk" is silly? Are you for real? If it is silly why the efforts to address racism in every EPL game? Why the talk to address the hiring disparity in football? "Race talk is sill"? Where do they get you negroes from?

As for Pinnick and his preference of a Foreign Coach for the Eagles, I just finished reiterating the chronology of events that led Pinnick to hire ****.

Hiring a foreign coach was part of Pinnick's campaign promise during the controversial and contentious NFF elections.

Keshi was NEVER his guy. Pinnick 'managed' Keshi because of the Presidency (GEJ).

Just like Pinnick trying to frustrate **** into resigning, he went the other route with Keshi and with Oliseh... he sacrificed our qualification in order to get what he wanted for a long time. He knew fully well that Oliseh will implode because Oliseh won't take the malfeasance that Keshi or Siasia will take.

As for Damunk asking for evidence of corruption, I just have to laugh. Do you remember the issue of World Cup Money? How the FIFA subvention was squandered and the FGN had to fly in cash to pay outstanding bonuses and pay for logistics in Brazil? Do you remember what happened before the players boarded the plane to Brazil for the Confederation Cup? Do you remember what happened at the World Cup proper how the players stayed up late prior to the game against France? Or do you remember the debacle at the Olympics over the same issue of money? I also happened to be in Abuja when former members of the Eagles under the aegis of Save our Football, went on Brekete show to level series of serious accusations against this NFF leadership. They asked for EFCC investigation and named names... nothing ever came of it.

The fight for NFF leadership was the main culprit for nonqualification... sides were taken, and the losers ended up being Naijarian football fans. The people who won instead of being reconciliatory now chose to vanquish their adversaries.
You have to rely on mumbo jumbo speculation because you can’t argue with the facts. Nigeria had failed to qualify for two AFCONs under three LCs (two of them hired by Pinnick). Keep in mind we also failed to qualify for the 2011 AFCON under a local coach. Then we found ourselves in essentially the toughest WCQing group in Africa. We were at risk of also missing out on the 2018 WC just as we did in 2006. There was no time for sentiment. Hiring Rohr proved to be the right thing at that time because we qualified for the WC despite our very poor run in the lead-up to the qualifiers. This should never be about race but the level of experience required to do the job well. If the experience is not currently in Nigeria because our local league is not currently producing such persons, we’ll seek it abroad.

You guys are gonna keep whining and crying like babies for a long time to come. Thankfully, the guys that run our football know that results matter above sentiment. If local appointments are not producing results, they’ll seek foreign coaches. End of story.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:32 pm
Cellular wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:15 pm

You are making quite a career on CE of being stupid!

The very same thing I said here, I said wrt European footballers. I specifically said so about Jamie Carragher for instance.
Not every player has the smarts to transition to coaching...

You have to be of a certain intellectual bent to "see" the game from a conceptual standpoint...
I am embarrassed on your behalf. :oops: :oops: :oops:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

That is why I can never respect a man like Pinnick and will always regard him as one of those trashy, Egotistical, anti-Nigerian, Pro foreign, selfish leaders ever. He may speak better than our previous chairmen, maybe have more money, and have traveled more( of course at Nigeria's expense, not his) but during his reign, we have nothing tangible to show for it. All he does is travel and post on Instagram illustrating his association with the foreign players, FIFA personnel, CAF personnel, and governmental entities. Believe me, Pinnick has an account on CE and he has his ilk posting here. I am sure of it!