DENNIS: I'll Smoke Ighalo in 1 v 1.......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
DENNIS: I'll Smoke Ighalo in 1 v 1.......

Post by Enugu II »

“I’d smoke him!” – Exciting Super Eagles star Dennis on Ighalo, Ranieri, the Premier League
https://soccernet.ng/2021/11/id-smoke-h ... eague.html

The new Hornets hero has taken the English Premier League by storm and warmed his way into the hearts of the club’s supporters with his quick feet and intelligence on the ball

Nigerian forward Emmanuel Dennis believes he would completely outclass compatriot Odion Ighalo if placed in a one versus one football match with the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations top goalscorer.

A fan’s favourite at Vicarage Road, Ighalo scored 40 goals and added another 11 assists in 100 matches for Watford during a two-and-half-year stay at the club.

But Dennis is the new Nigerian hero at Watford, after a blistering start to life at a club he joined in the summer.

The 24-year-old has amassed four goals and five assists in just 11 EPL appearances and was the architect of the Hornet’s thrilling 4-1 win over Manchester United last weekend.

Watford fans have quickly taken to the former Club Brugge ace, many of whom asked him questions during a Q-and-A session on the Hive.

One fan wanted to know how Dennis would fare against Ighalo, to which the younger man modestly responded: “One versus one? I’d smoke him!”

The Nigerian international is one of the several players Watford signed during the last transfer window as the newly-promoted side prepared to adapt to life back in the top-flight.

Dennis appears to be the one thriving the most among the lot, and the versatile forward has revealed how he has been able to cope with the demanding English Premier League.

“It’s really tough; the intensity is really high,” Dennis observed.

“But I’m a very fast player, I love running, so I’m finding it easy, but there are a lot of quality players. Most players want to be in the Premier League. I’m here and happy.”

Because of his dribbling skills, Dennis often holds on to the ball more than his teammates would have liked. But he reveals that Watford head coach Claudio Ranieri is helping him get better on that front.

“[Ranieri] is an experienced manager and won the Premier League with a (Leicester City) team where it is difficult to win it,” Dennis added.

“I was really happy he came here. I just listen to him; what he says, I follow. In training, he calls me ’32 Touches’. I’m always on the ball having too many touches, but he’s trying to make sure I do things the right way.

“For me, sometimes I don’t care if there’s five defenders, I’ll try it, and if it works, it works. But sometimes, that’s hard for my teammates. He’s only been here for a few weeks, but it’s going really well.”

Dennis will look to continue his excellent form for Watford on Sunday afternoon when Ranieri takes the Hornets to the King Power Stadium to face Leicester, the team he led to a fairy-tale Premier League title.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
joao
Egg
Egg
Re: DENNIS: I'll Smoke Ighalo in 1 v 1.......

Post by joao »

We should not be elevating BS like,
Emmanuel Dennis believes he would completely outclass compatriot Odion Ighalo if placed in a one versus one football match with the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations top goalscorer.
which I like to bet this was not a quote from Dennis.
Only a football novice would believe that crap in a team sport.
Ighalo did his thing and moved on, and I think Dennis should do same and let
the fans decide who's tenure is more memorable.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

joao wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:40 am We should not be elevating BS like,
Emmanuel Dennis believes he would completely outclass compatriot Odion Ighalo if placed in a one versus one football match with the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations top goalscorer.

Ighalo is still doing his thing…..in place of younger hungrier players like Dennis and co….

With Rohr in charge, he will be doing his thing till he is 80yrs
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

This guy in my opinion alongside Victor should be leading our attack going forward.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

If you have been paying attention to Dennis you would know its a very Denise thing to say, he's far from modest nor does he mince words.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
kosinkwa
Egg
Egg

Post by kosinkwa »

He talks a lot. I won’t be surprised if he said that.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

If Osimhen doesn't make the the ANC it will be interesting to see what kind of partnership he can forge with Taiwo Awoniyi.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Energetic forwards like Dennis and Victor Moses with skill and pace is what we need. Get these two and a more athletic version of Onuachu and you will win alot of games while scoring lots of goals.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Which I like to bet this was not a quote from Dennis.
the fans decide who's tenure is more memorable
I think such wasn't said by Master Denis either. Some Journalists just have a knack to start trouble/controversy.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Odas wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:58 am

Which I like to bet this was not a quote from Dennis.
the fans decide who's tenure is more memorable
I think such wasn't said by Master Denis either. Some Journalists just have a knack to start trouble/controversy.
My take is that he probably said it. I have heard many players same similar stuff and even disparage others. However, what I think possibly took place is that he said it believing it was confidential and never expected such to be shared with the larger public. But can it be said? YES and I have heard such many times in the past.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

What did he mean by “smoke”?
‘Dust’, as in ‘outpace’?
They’re both central strikers so what ‘one-on-one’ situation could he be referring to?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:20 am What did he mean by “smoke”?
‘Dust’, as in ‘outpace’?
They’re both central strikers so what ‘one-on-one’ situation could he be referring to?
I believe, "dust" broadly means to be better than someone at a certain competition. It could be dribbling, playing football, etc.
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Guys, calm down. It's called banter.. aka trash talk. It's all in good fun
NIGERIAN BADBOY!