Bonfrere Jo officially applies for the SE job

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Bonfrere Jo officially applies for the SE job

Post by Enugu II »

fabio wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:16 am
Otitokoro wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:01 pm The NFF and other stakeholders shared their vision with prospective candidates at the time. Rohr as one of the candidates, was vetted and that vision was shared with him. He was hired on the basis of being the best candidate to carry out that vision and did so without complaint from Nigerians (AFCON-Q and WCQ, with games to spare and beating out arguably the toughest WCQ in Nigeria's WCQ history).
Only if you were party to the interview and vetting process. Pinnick, said the reason he employed Rohr was:

1) He wanted a father figure for the players.
2) He wanted someone who could talk some European languages: French and German.
2a) He wanted someone who could French to Arsene and German to Klopp.
3)He wanted someone to played for a top club in Europe, so when he met (SE club coaches) Rohr would say I played in Bayern, where did you play?

If you need video evidence of the above, I will post it.

In my own opinion, the toughest World Cup qualifying Nigeria had was USA'94 final round which involved Algeria, Nigeria and Ivory Coast. Russia WC qualifying was tough, not the toughest.
Fabio,

Please post the video.

This explains quite a lot. I was recently examining Rohr's record pre-Nigeria and was shocked at how poor it was. Yet he was hired. In essence, the record did not matter to the NFF.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:34 pm Fabio,

Please post the video.

This explains quite a lot. I was recently examining Rohr's record pre-Nigeria and was shocked at how poor it was. Yet he was hired. In essence, the record did not matter to the NFF.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

fabio wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:51 pm
Enugu II wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:34 pm Fabio,

Please post the video.

Fabio,

It could not be viewed from this locale. Can you post a link? That should be helpful. NEVER MIND, it diverts me to view it on Youtube. Thanks.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Thanks for the Video, Fabio.
In the points you listed, you conveniently neglected to state these key factors which Pinnick mentioned influenced the decision to go with Rohr:
4. "Immense knowledge", both technically and tactically
5. "Pedigree" - someone the players can trust and respect
5. "Use of technology" - something alien to our local coaches. Specifically, video analyst, match analyst & critical support staff (Chiropractor, Osteo pathologist).
Will refer you to Min 0:18 thru Min 2:36 of the video you posted to help refresh your memory.

Regarding WCQ groupings and their 'toughness', I can only go by the latest FIFA rankings of each team, prior to the first match of each group.

CAF WCQ 1994 - 31 Dec, 1992
13. Nigeria
27. Cote D'Ivoire
30. Algeria
**Nigeria favored to win group

CAF WCQ 2016 - 15 Sept, 2016
35. Algeria
59. Cameroon
64. Nigeria
92. Zambia
**Algeria and Cameroon favorites to win group

I believe Nigeria had a much more difficult task qualifying for the 2018WC than the 1994WC.
fabio wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:16 am
Otitokoro wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:01 pm The NFF and other stakeholders shared their vision with prospective candidates at the time. Rohr as one of the candidates, was vetted and that vision was shared with him. He was hired on the basis of being the best candidate to carry out that vision and did so without complaint from Nigerians (AFCON-Q and WCQ, with games to spare and beating out arguably the toughest WCQ in Nigeria's WCQ history).
Only if you were party to the interview and vetting process. Pinnick, said the reason he employed Rohr was:

1) He wanted a father figure for the players.
2) He wanted someone who could talk some European languages: French and German.
2a) He wanted someone who could French to Arsene and German to Klopp.
3)He wanted someone to played for a top club in Europe, so when he met (SE club coaches) Rohr would say I played in Bayern, where did you play?

If you need video evidence of the above, I will post it.

In my own opinion, the toughest World Cup qualifying Nigeria had was USA'94 final round which involved Algeria, Nigeria and Ivory Coast. Russia WC qualifying was tough, not the toughest.
return2k2
Egg
Egg

Post by return2k2 »

An interview posted in 2019. He admitted that Super Eagles style of playing has declined since 98.

donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

The coach who so far has brought Nigeria it’s greatest success on the global stage :)