AFCON & Omicron

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON & Omicron

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:18 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:02 pm
txj wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:48 pm African Cup of Nations postponement reports false - CAF

https://www.espn.com/soccer/caf-confede ... -false-caf
It was false from the get go. That was never in question. What is in question is the decision by Europe to preclude travel for players. CAF needs to stand firm and host the tournament. That should be non-negotiable given the current situation with Omicron and multiple options to negotiate. Even UK has lifted its earlier restrictions involving several African countries given newer reports on virility of the Omicron. In my view this is a test for CAF. We await to see if it passes the test and sends a necessary message.

CAF has to call Europe's bluff.
UK lifting COVID-19 travel restrictions on 11 African countries
BY MYCHAEL SCHNELL - 12/14/21 01:45 PM EST 52
https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... -countries

The United Kingdom will lift COVID-19 travel restrictions on 11 countries on Wednesday after recognizing a high rate of community transmission of the omicron variant in Britain.

U.K. Health Secretary Sajid Javid told Parliament on Tuesday that Britain would be removing 11 African countries from its COVID-19 "red list" at 4 a.m. on Wednesday because of how widespread the omicron variant has become in Britain and around the globe.

“Now that there is community transmission of Omicron in the U.K. and Omicron has spread so widely across the world, the travel red list is now less effective in slowing the incursion of Omicron from abroad,” Javid said, according to Reuters.

“We will be removing all 11 countries from the travel red list effective from 4 a.m. tomorrow morning,” he added.

Angola, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe will all be removed from the red list, according to the news wire.

Travelers planning to enter the U.K., however, will still be required to take a PCR or rapid COVID-19 test within 48 hours of departing for the country, according to Reuters.

The U.K. announced last month that it would restrict travel from a handful of countries after the highly mutated omicron variant was first detected in South Africa.

The U.S., among other nations, implemented similar travel restrictions in an effort to curb the spread of the new strain. Despite those actions, the variant has been reported in dozens of countries and U.S. states in recent weeks.

CDC adds Italy to travel warning list
Miami airport sets record for Thanksgiving holiday travel
The U.K. has recorded more than 4,700 omicron coronavirus cases, according to Reuters, with 10 of the infected people being hospitalized. At least one person in the U.K. has died after contracting the variant, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Monday.

Johnson is now deploying an increased push to encourage Britons to get their booster shots ahead of a “tidal wave of omicron.” On Sunday he said two doses of existing vaccines are not enough to protect against the new strain but that scientists are confident that a third jab will “bring our level of protection back up," echoing preliminary studies from Pfizer and BioNTech.

The prime minister added that the U.K. is “facing an emergency in our battle with the new variant, omicron.”

I understand that you have a professional advocacy interest in pan Africanism, but its important to always deal with facts.

The reversal is based on changing circumstances as dictated by community transmission. Its most certainly not false, unless to someone who does not understand how public health policy and mgt works..
Txj

I surely agree with facts. The fact is presently there is no widespread covid concerns in Cameroon. Is that not the fact?

It seems you want a situation that exists in UK to be imposed in Cameroon? No sur, that should not happen. BTW, even in UK where the covid outbreak is explosive, there is yet to be a cancelation of the league. I certainly ly would think that the situation deserves cancelation in the UK. Hopefully, you share that as s well.

In Cameroon, when the situation gets to the UK levels then CAF will be responsible enough to reconsider. But until then CAF should not be railroaded by UK clubs when the UK leagues continue to take place. I hope you agree with that. Think from the African perspective as this competition is scheduled for Africa.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:01 pm
txj wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:18 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:02 pm
txj wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:48 pm African Cup of Nations postponement reports false - CAF

https://www.espn.com/soccer/caf-confede ... -false-caf
It was false from the get go. That was never in question. What is in question is the decision by Europe to preclude travel for players. CAF needs to stand firm and host the tournament. That should be non-negotiable given the current situation with Omicron and multiple options to negotiate. Even UK has lifted its earlier restrictions involving several African countries given newer reports on virility of the Omicron. In my view this is a test for CAF. We await to see if it passes the test and sends a necessary message.

CAF has to call Europe's bluff.
UK lifting COVID-19 travel restrictions on 11 African countries
BY MYCHAEL SCHNELL - 12/14/21 01:45 PM EST 52
https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... -countries

The United Kingdom will lift COVID-19 travel restrictions on 11 countries on Wednesday after recognizing a high rate of community transmission of the omicron variant in Britain.

U.K. Health Secretary Sajid Javid told Parliament on Tuesday that Britain would be removing 11 African countries from its COVID-19 "red list" at 4 a.m. on Wednesday because of how widespread the omicron variant has become in Britain and around the globe.

“Now that there is community transmission of Omicron in the U.K. and Omicron has spread so widely across the world, the travel red list is now less effective in slowing the incursion of Omicron from abroad,” Javid said, according to Reuters.

“We will be removing all 11 countries from the travel red list effective from 4 a.m. tomorrow morning,” he added.

Angola, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe will all be removed from the red list, according to the news wire.

Travelers planning to enter the U.K., however, will still be required to take a PCR or rapid COVID-19 test within 48 hours of departing for the country, according to Reuters.

The U.K. announced last month that it would restrict travel from a handful of countries after the highly mutated omicron variant was first detected in South Africa.

The U.S., among other nations, implemented similar travel restrictions in an effort to curb the spread of the new strain. Despite those actions, the variant has been reported in dozens of countries and U.S. states in recent weeks.

CDC adds Italy to travel warning list
Miami airport sets record for Thanksgiving holiday travel
The U.K. has recorded more than 4,700 omicron coronavirus cases, according to Reuters, with 10 of the infected people being hospitalized. At least one person in the U.K. has died after contracting the variant, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Monday.

Johnson is now deploying an increased push to encourage Britons to get their booster shots ahead of a “tidal wave of omicron.” On Sunday he said two doses of existing vaccines are not enough to protect against the new strain but that scientists are confident that a third jab will “bring our level of protection back up," echoing preliminary studies from Pfizer and BioNTech.

The prime minister added that the U.K. is “facing an emergency in our battle with the new variant, omicron.”

I understand that you have a professional advocacy interest in pan Africanism, but its important to always deal with facts.

The reversal is based on changing circumstances as dictated by community transmission. Its most certainly not false, unless to someone who does not understand how public health policy and mgt works..
Txj

I surely agree with facts. The fact is presently there is no widespread covid concerns in Cameroon. Is that not the fact?

It seems you want a situation that exists in UK to be imposed in Cameroon? No sur, that should not happen. BTW, even in UK where the covid outbreak is explosive, there is yet to be a cancelation of the league. I certainly ly would think that the situation deserves cancelation in the UK. Hopefully, you share that as s well.

In Cameroon, when the situation gets to the UK levels then CAF will be responsible enough to reconsider. But until then CAF should not be railroaded by UK clubs when the UK leagues continue to take place. I hope you agree with that. Think from the African perspective as this competition is scheduled for Africa.

There u go again with changing the subject and then arguing against a false issue.

I'm not talking about Cameroon, about covid in Cameroon or cancellation of AFCON.

NOT EVERY SUBJECT LENDS ITSELF TO PAN AFRICAN advocacy.

I specifically is talking about your assertion that the travel ban in UK on red list countries was false.

It was not false and the cancellation rightly reflected changing community transmission patterns.

We are in a global pandemic. There is no mass sporting event that will not be subject to debate about cancellation.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Incredible!! How did you arrive at the conclusion that I stated that the recent ban was false? Just incredible. Did you actually read what I claimed as false? I urge you to read again.

What was false was the claim that the AFCON was postponed.

How could any one claim that there was no ban in Britain unless that person was under a rock. My family members were in fact affected by the initial British ban. It made and makes no sense to have stated it as false. Read my statement again.

Clearly then you may have been arguing against your conjecture.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics