A real fan roots AGAINST his team sometimes...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: A real fan roots AGAINST his team sometimes...

Post by Damunk »

highbury wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:36 am
Dammy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:27 am VE is always the target but I remember some members of this forum opened a laughing thread on Rohr and the SE after South Africa beat us 2-0 in Uyo in a 2019 AFCON qualifier.
So what's the difference?
Dude, what is your issue? Why are you trying to defend the indefensible? Judge it on its own merit. So because a supposed fan is a target that justifies his actions? People like you make me want to puke! Who are you? Are you VE with a different account? Look, some want Rohr fired, while some want him to stay. Fair enough. But to find reasons to defend the indefensible is sickening. You are clearly not a good person! A good person will call out wrong whenever he sees it.
Absolutely.
So how many times have you called out those that laugh or ridicule the SE when they fail to impress?
How many times have you called out those that predict failure on the SE because they despise the coach?
How many times have you called to order those that resort to insulting anyone that does not join in the general doom and gloom hatefest?
You’ve probably remained silent becos you share the same overarching view to get rid of the coach. So you yourself are not “calling out wrong whenever you see it”. :idea:

Just sayin’…but accept my apologies if I’m wrong on that.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

iworo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:35 am It's really interesting and comical that anyone could seriously think that anyone of us on this forum could actually be rooting for Super Eagles' failure. I mean, with the amount of time invested by each one of us into this wonderful SE's forum. C'mon guys!!! As aptly put by Damunk, it all comes down to defense mechanisms/psychological strategies and anxiety management. Nah wah for una o!
Yea of course, he is exhibiting reaction formation defense mechanism.. Mtschew.. But he never apologized for that. I am maybe wrong. It's astonishing that folks will find every reason in the book to defend VE. Why? It's quite simple. They agree with him! I had always thought that we have very few bad people in CE. I think we have more bad people than I ever envisaged.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

highbury wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:36 am
Dammy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:27 am VE is always the target but I remember some members of this forum opened a laughing thread on Rohr and the SE after South Africa beat us 2-0 in Uyo in a 2019 AFCON qualifier.
Dude, what is your issue? Why are you trying to defend the indefensible? Judge it on its own merit. So because a supposed fan is a target that justifies his actions? People like you make me want to puke! Who are you? Are you VE with a different account? Look, some want Rohr fired, while some want him to stay. Fair enough. But to find reasons to defend the indefensible is sickening. You are clearly not a good person! A good person will call out wrong whenever he sees it.
Been drinking?
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Laughing thread is a CE tradition. Opened when a team loses, not before.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

King Futcha wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:29 pm
Enugu II wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:10 pm
King Futcha wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:04 pm -- problem with that is vancity was spotted on the big soccer forum openly celebrating the super eagles victory while here claiming to have been rooting for the elephants, raises questions to say the least.
I believe Vancity is a fan. I do not believe that he actually trooted for Ivory cOast on that particular day in spite of his claim that he will be. It was simply as mark of frustration of his with the team at the time.
-- i would disagree that nfl and nba fans root against their team when they are tanking, they don't mind their team losing there is obviously a difference.
Thank you! No fan does that, in my belief. I am a fan of Houston Rockets and the current spate of losses in the NBA grates. Make no mistake about it. Yet, at the end of the season I want the #1pick but all that is forgotten when a game is on the line. Better believe it. Same with Chicago Bears whom I support. It grates and it hurts.
-- why would you root for roy to lose when he was getting brutally knocked out? true fans were considered with his health.

time for my tea.
yes imagine the bears playing the packers week 16 in contention for the top pick and you rooting for the packers, nonsense from our brother bush.
If the bears are playing the packers in week 16 of a lost season, where a LOSS would guarantee them the #1 draft pick in a draft where a QB in the mold of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady was available, only a liar would pretend that Bears fan would not prefer to lose on that day. I went to law school in Jacksonville in the years when that team really sucked. I know how diehard fans felt about their draft position. So please, don't come here and tell me that a fan would never root for their team to lose. I have seen the situation with my own eyes many times!!
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:46 pm
bushboy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:45 pm I have seen posts in several threads where VE is attacked and called a "traitor" for once rooting against the SE against CIV. This really got me thinking about fandom, and the many instances where a fan might actually find it necessary to root against his own team.

Typically, these situations arise when a fan is willing to sacrifice success in the short term, for long term, sustained success. We see this in the NBA and NFL when a team will totally tank, and the fans will celebrate losses as each loss means a higher draft pick and the chance for their team to get a player who might secure the future of their team for a decade or more.

You also see this when the fan fears for the safety of his team or athlete. For example, I am a HUGE Roy Jones fan, and I remember when he started getting up in age but kept fighting. I was actually at the point rooting for my favorite boxer to LOSE! Because I could see his decline, and I feared that winning fights would give him the false sense that he still "had it" and he would end up facing a very dangerous boxer who would severely injure him.

For VE, he could see the team heading down a bad path under Keshi. The team selection was baffling and the squad was filled with undeserving players, even an injured player was selected at some point! He knew the only way the SE could be better was for Keshi to be fired, and for that to happen, we needed to lose games. His rooting against his team is actually the sign of a dedicated fan!

The idea that only a "traitor" roots against his team, is not only flawed, but ridiculous.

Just my musings this morning.
Only a fair weather fan would ever root against his own team. A true fan will criticize his team, perhaps even harshly, when he’s disappointed with their performance but would never root against it❗️

Cheers.
They root against. That is a well documented fact throughout the history of sports. Like I said, this is usually done when the fan perceives that a loss TODAY will lead to many more wins in FUTURE. Not just in sports sef. In life. It is simple opportunity cost. Taking a decision you do not like TODAY, so you can get a better outcome tomorrow. I'm not sure why we are all pretending this doesn't happen.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Nice thread :thumb:

Reaction formation... interesting. Thanks, and spot on Uncle Damunk!
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

bushboy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:12 pm
bushboy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:45 pm I have seen posts in several threads where VE is attacked and called a "traitor" for once rooting against the SE against CIV. This really got me thinking about fandom, and the many instances where a fan might actually find it necessary to root against his own team.

Typically, these situations arise when a fan is willing to sacrifice success in the short term, for long term, sustained success. We see this in the NBA and NFL when a team will totally tank, and the fans will celebrate losses as each loss means a higher draft pick and the chance for their team to get a player who might secure the future of their team for a decade or more.

You also see this when the fan fears for the safety of his team or athlete. For example, I am a HUGE Roy Jones fan, and I remember when he started getting up in age but kept fighting. I was actually at the point rooting for my favorite boxer to LOSE! Because I could see his decline, and I feared that winning fights would give him the false sense that he still "had it" and he would end up facing a very dangerous boxer who would severely injure him.

For VE, he could see the team heading down a bad path under Keshi. The team selection was baffling and the squad was filled with undeserving players, even an injured player was selected at some point! He knew the only way the SE could be better was for Keshi to be fired, and for that to happen, we needed to lose games. His rooting against his team is actually the sign of a dedicated fan!

The idea that only a "traitor" roots against his team, is not only flawed, but ridiculous.

Only a fair weather fan would ever root against his own team. A true fan will criticize his team, perhaps even harshly, when he’s disappointed with their performance but would never root against it❗️

Cheers.
They root against. That is a well documented fact throughout the history of sports. Like I said, this is usually done when the fan perceives that a loss TODAY will lead to many more wins in FUTURE. Not just in sports sef. In life. It is simple opportunity cost. Taking a decision you do not like TODAY, so you can get a better outcome tomorrow. I'm not sure why we are all pretending this doesn't happen.
Perhaps you should pay more attention to the term fair weather fan and go find out what it means❗️

Cheers.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:43 pm

Cheers.
Perhaps you should pay more attention to the term fair weather fan and go find out what it means❗️

Cheers.
REAL fans root against their team SOMETIMES! It's not an issue of being "fairweather"
Who will be next?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:36 pm
I'm sure you were one of the contributors to that laughing thread! Does it not strike you as weird laughing at your own team?
I am happy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Dammy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:18 pm
I'm sure you were one of the contributors to that laughing thread! Does it not strike you as weird laughing at your own team?
No it doesn’t, when your team completely disappoints you sometimes to keep from crying all you can do is laugh…but you didn’t expect that type of poor performance that’s why you are resorting to laughter as opposed to hoping and wishing for a poor performance. The laughter is simply reactive.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bushboy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:16 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:43 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.
REAL fans root against their team SOMETIMES! It's not an issue of being "fairweather"
No they don’t! They celebrate when their team does well, which is something VE didn’t do, to this day he calls it a fluke or luck or whatever. At no time does a fan desire their team to lose, they can understand losing as a means to an end, but when their team is doing well and winning they are happy. You can’t be considered a true fan if you are unhappy your team is doing well.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Again look at my categories of fan types. Yes some fans will want the bears to lose because they see incentives in doing so. The die-hard bears fans will never. And by the way you pick the wrong team for your analogy. I am a die-hard bears fan. No way on earth will I root for the packers against the bears.
Da Bears!! :D
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

YemiBrazil wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:32 pm Nice thread :thumb:

Even though you never gave me the credit for " reaction formation" defense mechanism which I mentioned. You are quite welcome 😁😁😁
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

highbury wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:43 pm

Even though you never gave me the credit for " reaction formation" defense mechanism which I mentioned. You are quite welcome 😁😁😁
:lol: :lol: Uncle Damunk don win the Ballon D'Or but we go manufacture your own credit too.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Yes but it is invariably an ‘I-told-you-so’ thread started (and joined) by those basically happy with the loss.
Or pretending to be happy as a stress-reliever.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Abbey wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:52 pm Again look at my categories of fan types. Yes some fans will want the bears to lose because they see incentives in doing so. The die-hard bears fans will never. And by the way you pick the wrong team for your analogy. I am a die-hard bears fan. No way on earth will I root for the packers against the bears.
:thumbs: Abbey, so you are one of us? I have been a Bears fan for long and keep hoping that I can relive 1985 all of again. Maybe SE can bring back 1994 or even better in the future.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

bushboy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:06 pm
King Futcha wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:04 pm -- problem with that is vancity was spotted on the big soccer forum openly celebrating the super eagles victory while here claiming to have been rooting for the elephants, raises questions to say the least.
I believe Vancity is a fan. I do not believe that he actually trooted for Ivory cOast on that particular day in spite of his claim that he will be. It was simply as mark of frustration of his with the team at the time.
-- i would disagree that nfl and nba fans root against their team when they are tanking, they don't mind their team losing there is obviously a difference.
Thank you! No fan does that, in my belief. I am a fan of Houston Rockets and the current spate of losses in the NBA grates. Make no mistake about it. Yet, at the end of the season I want the #1pick but all that is forgotten when a game is on the line. Better believe it. Same with Chicago Bears whom I support. It grates and it hurts.
-- why would you root for roy to lose when he was getting brutally knocked out? true fans were considered with his health.

time for my tea.
yes imagine the bears playing the packers week 16 in contention for the top pick and you rooting for the packers, nonsense from our brother bush.
If the bears are playing the packers in week 16 of a lost season, where a LOSS would guarantee them the #1 draft pick in a draft where a QB in the mold of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady was available, only a liar would pretend that Bears fan would not prefer to lose on that day. I went to law school in Jacksonville in the years when that team really sucked. I know how diehard fans felt about their draft position. So please, don't come here and tell me that a fan would never root for their team to lose. I have seen the situation with my own eyes many times!!
you said root against not prefer a loss, there is a difference, no true fan would ever under any circumstances root for a bitter rival team, full stop.

the jags with no history less than 30 years old franchise. i seriously question how many 'die hard' fans they had in the time period you're referring to maybe now but in the 90s those same fans you speak of were a fans of a different team, very poor example.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

King Futcha wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:57 pm
bushboy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:06 pm

time for my tea.
you said root against not prefer a loss, there is a difference, no true fan would ever under any circumstances root for a bitter rival team, full stop.

the jags with no history less than 30 years old franchise. i seriously question how many 'die hard' fans they had in the time period you're referring to maybe now but in the 90s those same fans you speak of were a fans of a different team, very poor example.
All we are doing now is JAMB English. You know exactly the crux of the point I am making and you're just choosing to argue over words. "Prefer a loss" or "root against," pick one. The bottom line is that one THAT GIVEN DAY a TRUE fan WANTS his team to LOSE because he sees a better future resulting from that loss. If you don't agree, that is fine. I don hear you.
Who will be next?
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:18 pm I'm sure you were one of the contributors to that laughing thread! Does it not strike you as weird laughing at your own team?
I am still looking for that thread, so, I can contribute my :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:54 pm
Abbey wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:52 pm Again look at my categories of fan types. Yes some fans will want the bears to lose because they see incentives in doing so. The die-hard bears fans will never. And by the way you pick the wrong team for your analogy. I am a die-hard bears fan. No way on earth will I root for the packers against the bears.
:thumbs: Abbey, so you are one of us? I have been a Bears fan for long and keep hoping that I can relive 1985 all of again. Maybe SE can bring back 1994 or even better in the future.
EII, how body. I have been a bear for a looooooogggggg time :) Once a bear always a bear. Dis one wey bushboy dey talk get as e be o. No way will I root against my team.
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

YemiBrazil wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:46 pm
highbury wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:43 pm

:lol: :lol: Uncle Damunk don win the Ballon D'Or but we go manufacture your own credit too.
As long as I get best striker I am Ok
:taunt: :D
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Guys, it's clear we are not getting anywhere with our conversation. The likes of VE and the author of the thread are fossilized in their ways. They are generally bad people. That is quite clear. It's pointless engaging with these folks who don't relate in good conscience. This is an exercise in futility. At this point, I am done engaging in this thread. Pointless! I am out. :|