A real fan roots AGAINST his team sometimes...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet
A real fan roots AGAINST his team sometimes...

Post by bushboy »

I have seen posts in several threads where VE is attacked and called a "traitor" for once rooting against the SE against CIV. This really got me thinking about fandom, and the many instances where a fan might actually find it necessary to root against his own team.

Typically, these situations arise when a fan is willing to sacrifice success in the short term, for long term, sustained success. We see this in the NBA and NFL when a team will totally tank, and the fans will celebrate losses as each loss means a higher draft pick and the chance for their team to get a player who might secure the future of their team for a decade or more.

You also see this when the fan fears for the safety of his team or athlete. For example, I am a HUGE Roy Jones fan, and I remember when he started getting up in age but kept fighting. I was actually at the point rooting for my favorite boxer to LOSE! Because I could see his decline, and I feared that winning fights would give him the false sense that he still "had it" and he would end up facing a very dangerous boxer who would severely injure him.

For VE, he could see the team heading down a bad path under Keshi. The team selection was baffling and the squad was filled with undeserving players, even an injured player was selected at some point! He knew the only way the SE could be better was for Keshi to be fired, and for that to happen, we needed to lose games. His rooting against his team is actually the sign of a dedicated fan!

The idea that only a "traitor" roots against his team, is not only flawed, but ridiculous.

Just my musings this morning.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: A real fan roots AGAINST his team sometimes...

Post by King Futcha »

-- problem with that is vancity was spotted on the big soccer forum openly celebrating the super eagles victory while here claiming to have been rooting for the elephants, raises questions to say the least.

-- i would disagree that nfl and nba fans root against their team when they are tanking, they don't mind their team losing there is obviously a difference.

-- why would you root for roy to lose when he was getting brutally knocked out? true fans were considered with his health.

time for my tea.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

King Futcha wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:04 pm -- problem with that is vancity was spotted on the big soccer forum openly celebrating the super eagles victory while here claiming to have been rooting for the elephants, raises questions to say the least.
I believe Vancity is a fan. I do not believe that he actually trooted for Ivory cOast on that particular day in spite of his claim that he will be. It was simply as mark of frustration of his with the team at the time.
-- i would disagree that nfl and nba fans root against their team when they are tanking, they don't mind their team losing there is obviously a difference.
Thank you! No fan does that, in my belief. I am a fan of Houston Rockets and the current spate of losses in the NBA grates. Make no mistake about it. Yet, at the end of the season I want the #1pick but all that is forgotten when a game is on the line. Better believe it. Same with Chicago Bears whom I support. It grates and it hurts.
-- why would you root for roy to lose when he was getting brutally knocked out? true fans were considered with his health.

time for my tea.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:10 pm
King Futcha wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:04 pm -- problem with that is vancity was spotted on the big soccer forum openly celebrating the super eagles victory while here claiming to have been rooting for the elephants, raises questions to say the least.
I believe Vancity is a fan. I do not believe that he actually trooted for Ivory cOast on that particular day in spite of his claim that he will be. It was simply as mark of frustration of his with the team at the time.
Thank you! No fan does that, in my belief. I am a fan of Houston Rockets and the current spate of losses in the NBA grates. Make no mistake about it. Yet, at the end of the season I want the #1pick but all that is forgotten when a game is on the line. Better believe it. Same with Chicago Bears whom I support. It grates and it hurts.

time for my tea.
yes imagine the bears playing the packers week 16 in contention for the top pick and you rooting for the packers, nonsense from our brother bush.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

bushboy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:45 pm I have seen posts in several threads where VE is attacked and called a "traitor" for once rooting against the SE against CIV. This really got me thinking about fandom, and the many instances where a fan might actually find it necessary to root against his own team.

Typically, these situations arise when a fan is willing to sacrifice success in the short term, for long term, sustained success. We see this in the NBA and NFL when a team will totally tank, and the fans will celebrate losses as each loss means a higher draft pick and the chance for their team to get a player who might secure the future of their team for a decade or more.

You also see this when the fan fears for the safety of his team or athlete. For example, I am a HUGE Roy Jones fan, and I remember when he started getting up in age but kept fighting. I was actually at the point rooting for my favorite boxer to LOSE! Because I could see his decline, and I feared that winning fights would give him the false sense that he still "had it" and he would end up facing a very dangerous boxer who would severely injure him.

For VE, he could see the team heading down a bad path under Keshi. The team selection was baffling and the squad was filled with undeserving players, even an injured player was selected at some point! He knew the only way the SE could be better was for Keshi to be fired, and for that to happen, we needed to lose games. His rooting against his team is actually the sign of a dedicated fan!

The idea that only a "traitor" roots against his team, is not only flawed, but ridiculous.

Only a fair weather fan would ever root against his own team. A true fan will criticize his team, perhaps even harshly, when he’s disappointed with their performance but would never root against it❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:10 pm I believe Vancity is a fan. I do not believe that he actually trooted for Ivory cOast on that particular day in spite of his claim that he will be. It was simply as mark of frustration of his with the team at the time.
Absolutely Prof.
This place can get very political sometimes and some forumers are ready to live and die on their ability to ‘win’ an argument and show other people up no matter what.
So anything goes as long as you can throw shade on your opponent.

Everybody has heard of the Lagos crowd that will turn against the Super Eagles and boo them - even cheer their opponents - when they’ve had enough of the SE, esp when they’re uninspiring on the field.
Everybody gets it.

The VE matter isn’t new and anyone that doesn’t know what all that was about is being funny.
If anything, VE is too passionate about the SE and it often clouds his better judgement.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Fans don't root AGAINST their teams. They boo. There are three categories of fans - 1. Die-hard fans, 2. Fair weather fans, and 3. Unknown fans.
As labeled, the diehard fans will root for his/her team no matter the circumstance. The fair weather fans only show up to support the team when the team is doing good. The unknow fan is similar to the die-hard but remain incognito at the ball park. He or she might even wear a paper bag with four holes representing the eyes, nose, and mouth cut out :D :scared: . The unknown fan is embarrassed at his/her team and sits down quietly :( .
One thing is common to these fans, they don't boo their team :sneaky:
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

VE fits the characteristic of a fair weather fan :sneaky:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Abbey wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:36 pm Fans don't root AGAINST their teams. They boo. There are three categories of fans - 1. Die-hard fans, 2. Fair weather fans, and 3. Unknown fans.
As labeled, the diehard fans will root for his/her team no matter the circumstance. The fair weather fans only show up to support the team when the team is doing good. The unknow fan is similar to the die-hard but remain incognito at the ball park. He or she might even wear a paper bag with four holes representing the eyes, nose, and mouth cut out :D :scared: . The unknown fan is embarrassed at his/her team and sits down quietly :( .
Good definition.
So we have many fair weather fans on CE claiming to be true fans. 🤣🤣🤣
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:38 pm
Abbey wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:36 pm Fans don't root AGAINST their teams. They boo. There are three categories of fans - 1. Die-hard fans, 2. Fair weather fans, and 3. Unknown fans.
Good definition.
Yes o. I bet you a psychologist visiting this forum the last few months especially since Rohr's debacle can categorize members fan type here. As a non psychologist the Emir and BigPorkey fit the die-hard image even though their posturing and wishes might be diametrically opposite. TXJ is an unknown fan. His arguments are full of holes! :D
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:13 pm
Enugu II wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:10 pm I believe Vancity is a fan. I do not believe that he actually trooted for Ivory cOast on that particular day in spite of his claim that he will be. It was simply as mark of frustration of his with the team at the time.
Absolutely Prof.
This place can get very political sometimes and some forumers are ready to live and die on their ability to ‘win’ an argument and show other people up no matter what.

Everybody has heard of the Lagos crowd that will turn against the Super Eagles and boo them - even cheer their opponents - when they’ve had enough of the SE, esp when they’re uninspiring on the field.
Everybody gets it.

The VE matter isn’t new and anyone that doesn’t know what all that was about is being funny.
If anything, VE is too passionate about the SE and it often clouds his better judgement.
Bros, your last sentence is the real issue, he’s too emotional that he almost can’t be taken seriously. No male adult should be this emotional about anything. PERIOD! (And I don’t mean the one VE is always on lol)
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:41 pm
Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:13 pm
Absolutely Prof.

Everybody gets it.

Bros, your last sentence is the real issue, he’s too emotional that he almost can’t be taken seriously. No male adult should be this emotional about anything. PERIOD! (And I don’t mean the one VE is always on lol)
Youre very right.
I’ve often mentioned this to him on the open forum.
Interestingly, he took it well. :D
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Abbey wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:50 pm
Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:38 pm
Good definition.
Yes o. I bet you a psychologist visiting this forum the last few months especially since Rohr's debacle can categorize members fan type here. As a non psychologist the Emir and BigPorkey fit the die-hard image even though their posturing and wishes might be diametrically opposite. TXJ is an unknown fan. His arguments are full of holes! :D
In reality and without a doubt, we are all fans of the CE. But being individuals we all have our various ways of managing our emotions and expectations.

A common method here on CE is what in psychology is referred to as Reaction Formation.

”Reaction formation is a way for the ego to defend itself against any thoughts or feelings that an individual finds unacceptable due to personal, familial, community, or societal standards”.

It’s funny, becos in pidgin, when we say someone is ‘forming’, it means pretty much the same thing as what happens in RF. Like “you are forming ‘I-don’t-Kia’” i.e. pretending as if you don’t care. :D

So those Nigerians that constantly deride the SE and it’s fans and say, “They will beat you”, referring to an opponent beating us, are reaction forming.
Bigporkey dem that constantly proclaim “SE will not qualify for AFCON/WC” are reaction forming.
VE that declares support for the Cote D’Ivoire against Nigeria is reaction forming.
Crowds that boo their own SE and cheer their opponents are reaction forming.
They’re just doing/saying the opposite of what they really feel/want.

It’s a defence mechanism. Anxiety management.
We get it.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

bushboy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:45 pm ..........This really got me thinking about fandom, and the many instances where a fan might actually find it necessary to root against his own team.

You also see this when the fan fears for the safety of his team or athlete. For example, I am a HUGE Roy Jones fan, and I remember when he started getting up in age but kept fighting. I was actually at the point rooting for my favorite boxer to LOSE! Because I could see his decline, and I feared that winning fights would give him the false sense that he still "had it" and he would end up facing a very dangerous boxer who would severely injure him.........

LET'S RACK THIS TOPIC. ONE OF THE BEST FROM MY PERSPECTIVE :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

bushboy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:45 pm I have seen posts in several threads where VE is attacked and called a "traitor" for once rooting against the SE against CIV. This really got me thinking about fandom, and the many instances where a fan might actually find it necessary to root against his own team.

OK.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

When you see guys like the author of this thread defend the indefensible and the statements of VE, you realize these people are just bad people. It's quite that simple!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

All this revisionist history get as im be.

Vancity Eagle was NEVER a fan of Keshi from jump.

He so loathed Amodu that he wished him death.

Bro, you have to have a line you don't cross even as a fan.

Ps., Even now, he tries to denigrate them at every given opportunity.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:11 pm

All this revisionist history get as im be.

Vancity Eagle was NEVER a fan of Keshi from jump.

He so loathed Amodu that he wished him death.

Bro, you have to have a line you don't cross even as a fan.

Ps., Even now, he tries to denigrate them at every given opportunity.
Chief, the issue is about the team, not individuals like Keshi, Amodu etc.

Do you think VE hates the SE, or do you not?
Or would you rather not say? That’s the issue, not the coach.

After all, you do realize that you are seated in the same stands as those that wish ill on the SE becos of their disdain for Rohr.
I take it you are okay with that?

You also realise there are those on your bench that find it almost impossible to celebrate a SE goal, victory or even qualification becos they can’t stand the coach and can’t relegate those feelings to the background.

Despite that, I have no doubt they love the SE as a team like the rest of us.

They are no different from VE in that regard. It is human nature.
He probably has as much reason to loathe Keshi as you have to loathe Rohr.
You can’t even bring yourself to type his name! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Vancity Eagle rooted against the SE after they drew two games and won the third. Let us look at the games.

Nigeria 1 Burkina Faso 1 - Nigeria dominated the game and took the lead through Emenike. We looked comfortable even after we lost Ambrose to a red card but a momentary loss of concentration cost us the equaliser. Burkina Faso.

Nigeria 1 Zambia 1 - Again Nigeria was the better team and took the lead against the defending champions. Zambia equalised through a dubious penalty (for which the referee was sent home).

Nigeria 2 Ethiopia 0 - A nervous Nigeria struggled to break down Ethiopia until they got two penalties in the last 10 minutes.

Did the above warrant supporting Cote d'ivoire?
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

You can't debate these issues in good faith with the likes of the author of the thread and VE. I repeat that these are genuinely bad people. Their motives are never pure.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

VE is always the target but I remember some members of this forum opened a laughing thread on Rohr and the SE after South Africa beat us 2-0 in Uyo in a 2019 AFCON qualifier.
So what's the difference?
I am happy
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Dammy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:27 am VE is always the target but I remember some members of this forum opened a laughing thread on Rohr and the SE after South Africa beat us 2-0 in Uyo in a 2019 AFCON qualifier.
So what's the difference?
Dude, what is your issue? Why are you trying to defend the indefensible? Judge it on its own merit. So because a supposed fan is a target that justifies his actions? People like you make me want to puke! Who are you? Are you VE with a different account? Look, some want Rohr fired, while some want him to stay. Fair enough. But to find reasons to defend the indefensible is sickening. You are clearly not a good person! A good person will call out wrong whenever he sees it.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

It's really interesting and comical that anyone could seriously think that anyone of us on this forum could actually be rooting for Super Eagles' failure. I mean, with the amount of time invested by each one of us into this wonderful SE's forum. C'mon guys!!! As aptly put by Damunk, it all comes down to defense mechanisms/psychological strategies and anxiety management. Nah wah for una o!